[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever try living out of a van? I'm tired of spending
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: into-the-wild.jpg (84 KB, 850x568) Image search: [Google]
into-the-wild.jpg
84 KB, 850x568
Anyone ever try living out of a van?

I'm tired of spending shit loads of money on apartments when I don't need 90% of what they offer and I was thinking about cashing my security deposit and getting a van.

I live in a foresty city, have a couple jobs, and go to university. Since the city is mostly forest, I figure it wouldn't be too hard to find places to park and I can get a bike so I'm not driving a lot. I get access to a lot of free stuff by going to a university (gym, shower, restrooms, Internet, computers, microwaves).

I found a van for sale for $600 and as long as it runs well enough, I think it'd be fine. It's a cargo van though, not a camper, so I'd probably have to lay down some carpet and make some modifications, but it shouldn't be too much work, right?

Any advice? Am I overlooking anything?
>>
Oh and I know the guy in the picture died but I don't plan on being isolated in the wilderness and eating random shit I find growing around me. For food I'd probably have an ice chest and a hot plate or fire area
>>
Maybe you can find it in the 4plebs archive buy there was an anon who loved out of a van who had excellent advice and stories
>>
File: 00Q0Q_4Fh800OWQzC_600x450.jpg (29 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00Q0Q_4Fh800OWQzC_600x450.jpg
29 KB, 337x450
>>1101360
I'll look it up, thanks.

Also, there's only two of them, but here's the pictures of the van to give a better idea of what I'd be living in
>>
File: 00P0P_a51iiNTIjg_600x450.jpg (24 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00P0P_a51iiNTIjg_600x450.jpg
24 KB, 337x450
>>1101361
>>
I'm about to graduate college and don't want to be tied down by a lease contract or anything, and I'm thinking of living out of a van so I can travel the US and do whatever I want
>>
I have a question, how lonely does it get?

I don't hang out with my roommates very often and usually end up hanging out in my room alone after getting home from work, then falling asleep, but I feel like never having the option and always being forced to go home to a van in a parking lot/in the woods/whatever by yourself every day would suck.
>>
>>1101440
make friends and take them on roadtrips or something?
>>
>>1101358
Only thing that kinda sucks about living in a van is no direct power to plug in my beast of a pc to run for long hours.

Also in california you need insurance to have your license plate be good with the dmv. but I do know about AAA low cost insurance..

Seriously considering picking up a van & living out of it after I go on my pcbt bike tour.
>>
>>1101552
You can use Powerbanks and Solar chargers. Also you can charge them in cafes. For ex, they would say nothing if you just sit for hours and even dont buy anything in Starbucks. Or you can buy generator too. There are too many options, actually:)
>>
I'm going to try to plan something like this after college.

I have a lot of experience in software development, so the dream is to get a completely remote job and work while traveling and paying off loans. When you think of $6000/yr spent on rent at minimum, it really is a great investment. Visit every state, major city, and national park?? I can dream

A guy came in and posted a thread here a while ago where we could ask him questions about his van dwelling life. Lemme see if I can find it.

Otherwise, this is your best resource anon. There's a section in the forums for van living.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums
>>
Bump for interest. I have a job and rent a room but I fantasize about such things.

Couple weeks ago I took a road trip in my Honda civic, put the back seats down, put in a mat w/ bedding, and slept all night at walmart.

Always looking for ways to be more free.

Also, OP, you should check out the van dwelling subreddit if you haven't already. It's pretty big and they probably have guides and FAQs.
>>
>>1101358
I did this for two years but in an SUV where the seats didn't go all the way down.

My stubborn body did not ever fucking want to sleep. I sat and stared for hours and hours until I didn't fall asleep, I just collapsed like a machine with no more power. It was miserable.

Later I started drinking and taking pills to induce sleep
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (58 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
58 KB, 800x600
Posted in a similar thread some time ago about thinking to do the same thing. Today is when I move out. Most of the stuff is in the van, just to get rid of my PC (hardest thing to let go of, obv) and move remaining clothes/books.

Believe I've thought of most things. What concerns me most is getting wet while out riding bikes and then dealing with wet clothes/gear
>charge phones and bike lights at work/from solar chargers
>prepare simple raw foods at work
>leave van mostly parked, move around on a bike
>shower/shit/shave at gym or work
>visit friends in nearby town if getting lonely

Can take a pic later when I have it set up OK. It's this kind of van. Live in UK.
>>
>>1101360
http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1041554/#1041801
>>
>>1103244
>Later I started drinking and taking pills to induce sleep
The first sentence of every sunshine story
>>
I lived in a van for a year and a half and was pretty comfy desu but was on a WHV so I was traveling not just staying in one city. Van living can get lonely and it is harder to get laid you need to find degenerate (which you will be living in a van) girls to lure back to your van. It feels pretty shitty to jerk off in your van on a rainy night. I used libraries for hot water to shave and would jump in a creek or lake or whatever with a bar of soap to bathe. I drank a lot of box wine everyday so I passed out more than fell asleep but was usually well rested. If you get lonely you can find other lonely weirdos in parks or dating apps. Put curtains on your windows and if the cops knock on your door you can just hide under your covers and they will go away if they haven't seen you. At the end of living in my van I definitely felt like a scum bag but I had a lot of good times. Parked on a beach and lived mostly on clams I gathered and banged a chick that hardly spoke english for a month shit was so cash. Sorry for shitty typing am on mobile but willing to answer questions.
>>
File: zlZ2e94.gif (2 MB, 250x189) Image search: [Google]
zlZ2e94.gif
2 MB, 250x189
>>1101358
You'll have plenty of time to do that when you're living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
>>
>>1103591
Are you planning to stay in the UK or will you be moving somewhere warmer?

A 10-15 year old Transit is not something that can survive many more UK winters.

Check for rust, treat any you find with a neutralizer.
Patch any holes. If you can't weld use fiberglass filler.
Then seal the underbody with waxoyl or a similar underseal from Hammerite or whomever.
>>
I live in my prius and work in san francisco and los angeles. Feel free to ask questions.

As a summary, it kind of sucks but your bank account loves you.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGud34X3j5M
>>
>>1107929
might be an interesting watch if you plan to do this for real :)
>>
>>1106564
The best post on this board in years.
>>
I have nearly zero car maintenance/repair or DIY skills. How feasible is this? I chose my major specifically as a job that can be employed anywhere, for any duration and level. Could make 30k, could make over 100k, depends what you want as a work life. Jobs literally anywhere. I'm not looking for the van life immediately...maybe 5 or 6 years out from now, or even for early retirement. Can you learn diy from youtube videos? I don't even have tools to practice with.

OP: Read Blue Highways. Novel by some native american dude who did this. It has a depressing tone though.
>>
If its about saving money consider buying a duplex. I own one my renters pay my mortgage.
I saw just as much money as those in vans but paying other bills I guess is like ur gas.
If its about freedom and adventure that shits bad ass I dream of renting both my units out. Profiting 850$us a month and living free with the opportunity to roam and live on that monthly budget.
>>
>>1107933
It wasn't funny or relevant the first time somebody made that "joke".
>>
>>1108002
Don't you need to put up like 40% down first?
Not many people have that kind of money.
>>
>>1108002

Uh bro, my dad owns a duplex and it isn't great.
>subject to property value changes
>poorfags are usually shit tenants, destroy the place
>he's had hoarders move in and shit it up
>people just stop paying
>people do that "I'll have it in a few days" shit endlessly
>need to do repairs
>tenants always have problems, you're the bell boy to go plunge their toilet
>tenants are pieces of shit
>you can hear what they do
>all the downsides of an apartment (noise, close distance), all the downsides of a house (repairs, cost, maintenance, mortgage)
>closing costs
>can't move easily nor quickly
>>
>>1108617
All true.

All good reasons to buy commercial property instead of residential.
>>
>>1106410
How did you manage in the winter?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.