[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, which is the greatest city? London or New York?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9
File: th.jpg (31 KB, 480x245) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
31 KB, 480x245
So, which is the greatest city?

London or New York?
>>
>>1100379
Neither.

Tokyo squashes both, easily.

But if I had to rank them, it would be a very close London over New York.
>>
New York is the most superlative city in the word.
>>
File: london.jpg (124 KB, 875x444) Image search: [Google]
london.jpg
124 KB, 875x444
>>
>>1100383
>being this much of a weeb
>>
>>1100383
fuck up weeb
>>
>>1100379
Hard to say, both have different energies I would say London edges it by a hairs width
>>
The obvious choice is New York City because it has 24-hour public transportation.
>>
New York because they have better food.
>>
>>1100713
wait, london doesnt? the fuck is that about?
>>
>>1100383
>>1100379
I mean honestly I'd think it'd be between New York and Tokyo at this point in time. London's got a really great electronic music scene but I don't know many people who actually like London, especially who live there, outside of some idealized version of it in pop culture
>>
>>1100731
Was due to a dispute with the union, now appears to be settling
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35697093
>>
File: 1385987058345.jpg (1011 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1385987058345.jpg
1011 KB, 1500x1000
>>1100379
New York has perhaps the world's greatest city layout. NYC has more and better options for entertainment, education, accommodation, food, and well everything honestly.

I thought London was attractive, but it definitely the low point of my European trip, as was the UK in general.
>>
>>1100379
london is shit senpai, theres no culture left
>>
I was in new york once. Terrible. Concrete jungle. Everything is fake.
People seemed to only care about themselves.
I had hoped to experience the street-food experience only to find every - And I mean EVERY food cart being of the same #"/!?-Muslim brand serving all-halal meat.
Even the ice-cream trucks were halal, wtf?!
Didn't feel safe either. (Though still felt more safe than paris).
London was OK.
>>
>>1100812
Rafiqi's. Also the Halal Guys. No big deal eating halal,the animals have the throat cut just like kosher and no pork. Never saw halal ice cream trucks just Mister Softee and New York ice cream.
>>
>>1100379
Paris > London
>>
Boston.
>>
>>1100776
you must have skipped Paris. That was definitely the low point of my European trip, followed closely by Venice.

London, Barcelona and Berlin were my top 3 cities.

>>1101367
you havin' a giggle m8?
>>
>>1101381
Lol we're talking about real cities
>>
File: 1443069757738.jpg (305 KB, 1968x2608) Image search: [Google]
1443069757738.jpg
305 KB, 1968x2608
>>1101367
There are several European cities better than London. Paris is not one of them
>>
>>1101412

100% accurate
>>
>>1100713
> Not taking the night bus
>>
I'm going to London soon, any recommended stuff?
>>
>>1101443

What are you into?

There are some world class museums and galleries. South Bank and South Kensington have lots of places to visit.
>>
>>1101443
If you are into cars, check out Mayfair and knightsbridge. You'll see some amazing cars there
>>
>>1100554
>>1100557
>>1100746
>>1100379
>Yankeefags are so deluded that they get mad when people admit they don't like their shit city

Yeah, good luck with that. And your pizza is ass. I had "New York style pizza" at a restaurant ran by a native. Shit's all flat, greasy and gross.
>>
>>1101390
>followed closely by Venice
That's a shame. I'm a poorfag but the canals look so beautiful in pictures that I'm just dying to see them in person
>>
>>1101579
Chicago style 'za is vastly superior
>>
>>1101579
Some places are better than others. Stay away from the 99 cent slice places,Little Ceaser boy.
>>
>>1101614

Absolute cancer.

If i wanted a loaf of soggy bread with a sprinkle of cheese and a gallon of sauce on top, id fucking get some cheesy bread with dipping sauce. Not your pathetic excuse for "pizza".

Regular pizza (which is apparently "new york style" to you flyover faggots) absolutely shits on your fluffy bullshit. Most of the pie is cheese and just enough sauce with minimal dough just to hold it together, along with whatever other toppings you desire. The sheer weight of the good shit requires you to fold the slice so it doesnt flop over and slide off onto your plate. Your gay shit, on the other hand, is nothing but undercooked dough, designed to get you full while using minimal real ingredients to keep costs down. It gets drowned in cheap sauce to at least has some flavor, and the amount of cheese used is quite pathetic compared to normal pizza. All filler and barely anything else; its literally pleb tier food.

I will, however, admit that a PROPER deep dish pizza (ie; practically requiring a fork to eat due to the metric fuckload of cheese and toppings) can be game. But overall, regular pizza shits on everything else.

Ps: new york literally is the pizza capital of the world. Italy can go suck a dick.
>>
>>1101381
Get a load of this faggot
>>
>>1101677
You mean obesity shit food capital.
>>
>>1100713
Buses run 24 hr in London, and so will the underground in a few months time
>>
I've never even been to London but I know for a fact that NYC is objectively better.
>>
I've only been to both twice, but I like New York better. I found London to be bigger, dirtier, less friendly, more expensive and less exciting. It wasn't an awful experience by any means, but compared to New York where everything felt close and accessible, the streets were (relatively) clean, people were friendly and excited (despite what pop culture had led me to expect), I could always find something cheap and fun to do, and there were exciting and special places everywhere I went.
I'm a Newfoundlander, with no family or close friends in either city, but cultural ties to both cities, though probably stronger cultural interest to New York because of my profession (Park Planner).
>>
>>1100383
Was going to say the same. You really know what's up. NY just seems like a shit hole. Lost it's charm a long time ago. Londonistan is not London anymore. Tokyo on the other hand is truly the place to be. Maybe not for living but visiting it's fucking amazing.
>>
>>1101580
Don't fall for the meme. Go and enjoy but don't expect too much. It's a very fake touristy place. Lots of the original people don't live there anymore.
>>
London is a racist bigot filled shithole.
>>1100776
>New York has perhaps the world's greatest city layout
No city layouts can compare to asian mega cities.
>>
>>1101781
Hey Newffie! Is there work in Newfoundland? Always wanted to work and live in Newfoundland for awhile.
>>
>>1101786
>Lots of the original people don't live there anymore

You could say the same about USA! bu dum tish
>>
>>1101725

Lol. I challenge you to find one fat person that isnt a tourist in NYC.

You will be amazed at how obese people are the single demographic that is almost noexistant there. Mainly because of all the walking and going up and down stairs that is required.
>>
>>1101793
I meant more like the people who live there are only people who work in the tourist sector. Regular Venice people doing regular Venetian or regular people things don't live there. The tourism fucked it up bad. It sucks because it needs the tourism but the tourism ruins the place at the same time.
>>
>>1101677
Youre both wrong. Detriot style is the best
>>
>>1101882

Thats not even a thing faggot. Its either regular, chicago, or "other". Just because you never have been enlightened with the taste of real pizza doesnt make your poverty pie a valid contender.
>>
>>1100379
>London or New York?

they are both dirty, diverse, cosmopolitan shit-holes.
>>
>>1101791
Depends on what you do and what you're willing to do.
You can get by on minimum wage here pretty easily, especially if you're willing to share a house or apartment with one or two other people. Food and booze are a bit expensive, but not prohibitively so. If you want to live outside of "town" (what we call St. John's) then you could probably get some interesting summer work doing research, or guiding tourists, or even in a fish plant. Fish plant work is hard and seasonal, but it pays well and there's lots of it. Other than that you could probably make a reasonable career salary if you have experience in restaurants or bartending, the food/bar scene here is huge, and it's the only thing we really tip for.
The main sectors of the economy are sort of dragging right now, so there's not nearly as much work for tradespeople or engineers as there used to be, and there's not a lot of work for clerical workers either. I worked with the provincial government for a few years and just got laid off because of cuts, and the other major public employers are doing the same thing.
If you have more information, I might be able to point you in the right direction. Hope you get out here some day, it's a pretty great place.
>>
>>1101882
Wtf are you talkin about mate? Ain't no detroit style pizza, I live by Detroit I'd know. Do you mean kebab? Cuz we got kebab.
>>
>>1101677
Amen Long Island Pizza is better than city pizza anyway real suburban Long island Pizza is the best in the world. I fucking hate British people and their pizza hut
>>
>>1102138
Brits put corn on their pizza. Pizzaland is ten times worse than any Domino's.
>>
>>1102138

As a long islander myself, i would have to respectfully disagree - theres something about NYC pizza that just makes its special compared to what i regularly eat. I can at least understand where youre coming from, unlike the mouth breathing doughboy faggots that speak such terrible heresy on how their "pizza" is even remotely edible.

But yes, long island does have amazing pizza as well. Im all the way out im eastern suffolk, where its not even a suburban hellhole, and the pizza here is STILL awesome. Makes me happy when i have guests or family over that arnt from NYC or the island and theyre absolutely fawning over what id consider an average decent pizza.

I suppose it has something to do with the fact that theres a gorillian pizza places on LI/NYC - any place that makes less than damn good pizza gets BTFO by the free market.
>>
>>1102009
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to make money like people are making in Alberta? I always thought in isolated places you can make more money. But the weather looks horrible. Even though I don't really care about weather that much.
>>
>>1102138
>>1102207

The best NYC pizza beats NYC suburb pizza easily, but you can't judge from shitty dollar slice joints.

I lived in 914 for about 15 years and have been living in 212 for a while, I"ve eaten a lot of fucking pizza.

I actually find the best to be New Haven styled, which is similar to NY styled but with a bit flatter bread.
>>
>>1102275
Pepe's?
>>
>>1102164
Corn? You mean like cereal? Why would you put that on pizza?
>>
>>1101390
>Barcelona
>and Berlin

how typical
'berlin is such an iconic, active and artsy city i want to live there!', says most 18-20-something american tourists
yet real germans grimace at the idea of being in berlin
>>
>>1102553

Corn, as in literal pieces of corn. Which is probably one of the few ingredients i personally have never seen on any specialty pizza ever.

I heard that this disgusting shit is not even uncommon in places outside the US. I forgot where it was, but i remember reading a story about an american ordering an "american style" pizza somewhere in Europe, assuming it would be literally american style. Instead, it was a pizza smothered in creamed corn - which the american tourist promptly left on the table untouched when it finally came out.

Apparently Europeans have this idea that we use corn in literally everything, which i suppose isnt exactly unfounded considering so many products contain corn syrup. But still, what kind of sick fuck eats corny pizza?
>>
>>1102576
>creamed corn
Okay I can understand putting sweetcorn on a pizza, maybe, but that? Jesus
>>
>>1102251
The money in Alberta has dried up. Unemployment has gone up significantly over the last several months. Saskatchewan is your best bet to "chase the green" so to speak, or the far north for a diamond mine, they're always hiring labourers and janitors and the like.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4Ct1tb7TU

this would make london seem awesome, but im sure it isn't

that said new york is a shitty place to be for significant portions of the year. It's best in spring or fall, and only weather permitting. It's a humid sweatbox in summer, and if it snows there and you have to do anything prepare to want to kill yourself.
>>
>>1102794
you're an idiot
>>
File: 864.jpg (5 KB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
864.jpg
5 KB, 240x135
>>1100379
New York.

Hands down. No question about it.
>>
NYC > London > Tokyo > Paris > Honk Kong

/thread
>>
new york
>>
>>1102831
You've obviously never been to Tokyo m8

Tokyo makes NYC look provincial. 3x the population, yet less than half the crime. Clean streets without needing 5 trash cans on every corner and no hot garbage smell wafting through the city in the summer. Tokyo has 2 Disneylands, dude. Beer vending machines, an enormous art and culture scene that dwarfs NYCs, 3.1 billion people pass through Tokyo's metro system PER YEAR and the trains still maintain schedules with accuracy down to the second. NYC has 94 Michelin Stars (28 of those stars belong to Japanese restaurants) while Tokyo has 226 Michelin Stars. Tokyo's cost of living is 93% of what NYC's is, rent is nearly half of what it is in NYC, local purchasing power is 11% bigger than what NYC's is. According to a 2015 quality of life survey, Tokyo was the number 1 city in the world to live, Vienna was number 2, NYC didn't even make it into the top 25.

Tell me, in what metric is NYC even close to Tokyo?
>>
>>1103100
Not him, but there's no arguing NYC is the most economically important city in the world followed closely by London.

http://www.citylab.com/work/2015/03/sorry-london-new-york-is-the-worlds-most-economically-powerful-city/386315/
>>
>>1103116
So NYC is the best city to do business in if you're a billionaire. In my opinion, that's mostly irrelevant to the actual living quality of a city.

Also, you said there's no arguing it, yet in your source Tokyo is listed as number 1 by one of the ranking agencies, so evidently there is some arguing.

Local purchasing power in NYC is still less than Tokyo, though, meaning that economic power doesn't filter through to most the people who live there.

I guess what we're getting down to what does "greatest city" mean? Does it mean most powerful city? Does it mean best to live in? Does it mean highest paid? Does it mean happiest?

That part comes down to opinion, but I'd argue Tokyo is on top for many of those categories.
>>
>>1103122
Why do you have such a boner for Tokyo? By all accounts it's more plastic and soulless than anywhere else in the world. Suicides are through the roof, and the people that live there are barely even human they're so overworked.
>>
In a thread comparing NYC and London why does Tokyo keep being brought up. It's irrelevant
>>
>>1103320
Grammar.
If OP had said "Which is the greater city", this wouldn't have happened. But he had to use the superlative "greatest".
>>
I could get to NYC within 3 hours from where I live (drive half, train half.) Should I go? I don't have much money to spend, maybe $100. I enjoy walking around and looking at neat stuff. If I went, I was gonna stay in Manhattan and leave before dark, and mainly get around by walking. So basically is there cool shit within walking distance of penn station?
>>
>>1103362

You can literally walk in any direction in manhattan, especially from penn, and find a gorillion dope things. If you have 100$ and your focus is to just see cool shit, you are mint. You likely wont even break $50, unless part of that money is going towards transportation to/from. Trust me, you are going to have a great ass time.

I dont give a flying fuck what anyone says, theres no place on planet earth thats like manhattan.
>>
>>1103150
By all accounts? Where do you find these accounts?

My experience is the opposite of what you're saying and pretty much everyone I know who has been to or lived in Tokyo agrees it's a fucking awesome city. I've yet to visit a city that even holds a candle to it and I've lived in NYC and London.

But whatever, if you're set in your ways then I can't change that, more for us.
>>
>>1103398

Thanks, anon. Alright, I'm gonna plan a run for that in the next few weeks. Yeah, that budget includes transport and food. I'm hoping for some damned good asian, maybe chinese or thai.
>>
>>1103362
How can you live within 3hrs of NYC and haven't done a trip like this already?
>>
File: Japanese-only-71232969427.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Japanese-only-71232969427.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
>>1103414
>Tokyo
>fucking awesome city
>all Japs
>>
>>1103454
And yet people STILL love living there, so how cool must it be to compensate for all that?
>>
>>1103452

Poverty and social anxiety.
>>
>>1103473

JAPANESE love living there, and weebs, but they don't count as actual people.
>>
>>1103902
>JAPANESE love living there

Some Japanese, yes, but not all. I think a significant % of Japanese who live there do so only because of family and/or work obligations.

Tokyo is an interesting city, true, but it's also (a) expensive, (b) crowded, and (c) stressful, and has (d) shit weather in the summer.
>>
>>1100379
First post best post, friendo.
>>
>>1101790
I know you're an Asian tourist because you think that London is racist and only perma-victim-complex Asian tourists (mostly Chinese) think that.

>show up thinking "I'm spending a few thousand Pounds so they should be happy I'm here"
>mad that everything is expensive
>behave like a selfish, oblivious moron
>people show in their faces that they don't think you're hot shit
>conclude that they are racists
>>
>>1100383
fucking weeb back to your containment thread
>>
>>1102164
Brits do not put corn on their pizza.
That's an Asia thing.
>>1102138
Pizza Hut is an American company.
>>1102576
This post is full of ignorant nonsense.
>>
>>1102574
I live in Berlin and I'm counting the days until I leave this shithole.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (202 KB, 1452x2048) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
202 KB, 1452x2048
>>1102532
I got what you need.
>>
>>1104110
What you've said about how Asians react to Londoners might be true. But that still doesn't mean that Londoners are not racist.
>>
>>1104169

What are you even talking about, less than half of Londoners are white British.

Once you leave the big smoke that's when shit gets real. Last of the Summer wine cunts carrying fuck off massive shotguns, flying falcons around and riding around on horses. If they meet a person that's even a bit tanned, they hunt them for sport
>>
>>1104294
Just because they aren't white they are still racist. This thinking that they aren't is why England is cucked.
>>
>>1103917
>implying NYC and London aren't expensive, crowded, stressful, and have shit weather.
>>
>>1105144
This
>>
London
>>
>>1100746

> really great electronic music scene

Are you handicapped? There are many things that create great cities. Music is one of them, and London is the best in the world. Museums, culture, and history, which London and New York are unparalleled in. Perhaps for the city's age, London can edge it. Politics, another one. New York hosts the United Nations; although not the capital of the states, this gives it the edge over any city in the world. New York takes finance over London as well, barely, but no city even comes near these great two.

There are some half a dozen contributing factors to what makes a place the greatest city in the world, and aside from population all of those factors are dominated by London and New York.
>>
>>1107988
>Museums, culture and history

what about purchasing power, quality of life, and food? A lot of these things, especially culture, are totally subjective and hardly quantifiable. If you focus on economic power, population, and history, then yeah NY and London are obvious. I mean I'm content to let the debate be between London and NY but personally not much can convince me that Tokyo isn't a superior city
>>
>>1100383
I bet you're the kind of weeb who gets butthurt and reports sex threads. Back to your containment threat
>>
>made hotel reservation in NYC
>just found out nearly two thirds of the hotels in the city have been reported with bedbug issues
fug
>>
Tee Bee Aich Toronto is better than both towns
>>
>>1100379
Both multicultural trash.
>>
I'm going to be spending two weeks in NYC in June/July and I'm wondering how I should get a sim card for my phone whilst over there, what do I do?

I am from Australia if that matters at all.
>>
>>1108349
I'm also just going to be using it for data.
>>
>>1108345
Cough username cough
>>
File: 1447770600684.png (206 KB, 331x339) Image search: [Google]
1447770600684.png
206 KB, 331x339
>>1101790
>London is a racist bigot filled shithole
When's a good time of year to visit?
>>
>>1101790
I agree. There's lots of blacks and muslims there, who are more likely to hold racist views thn any other group.
>>
>>1100379
Both overrated
>>
>>1108318
come on, my man. i'm canadian too and we both know this isn't true. toronto's a great city, but it's no london or new york and you know it
>>
>>1108639
I'm there now. Not bad. Kinda windy.
>>
New York
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.