[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hong Kong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: Hong-Kong_Hero.jpg (284 KB, 1600x947) Image search: [Google]
Hong-Kong_Hero.jpg
284 KB, 1600x947
Hi /trv/, I'm looking to plan a trip to Hong Kong in the summer, does anyone here have past experiences of the place? What are some good places to visit? Thanks!
>>
LKF for nightlife

Wan Chai for Flip and Indo sluts or hookers
>>
>>1099591
>Wan Chai for Flip and Indo sluts or hookers
Just don't ever pick up a hooker off the street.

And if they ask for ridiculous amounts, just walk away and get a 141 like everyone else.
>>
>>1099580
Went to Hong Kong
Go see the usual

>Mid-Level escalator
>Ladies Market
>The Peak (you can buy the 360 degree access pass but a balcony from the peak tower is just as fine)
>The buddha
>the harbor and light show

I heard the beaches were pretty nice. HK is very tourist friendly and there are visitor booths all along the harbor and within the city. Use the bus to get around. If you're staying for a long time, buy an octopus card.

English on Hong Kong island is widespread, Kowloon is so-so.

My personal recommendation for a hotel is Hotel Benito, there rooms are within the center of everything and it's in Kowloon. At the corner of Nathan and Cameron road. It's not the Peninsula but it's a room.

Eat the Tai Cheong egg tarts (in Central) and try fast food from Cafe Coral (everywhere). Also try eating congee for breakfast

Perhaps try one of the Michelin star restaurants
>>
>>1099580
where are you from?
>>
>>1100014
England.

Thompson's offering £500 for 5 nights (flights + hotel), which seems like a good deal. I've never been to Asia at all though so I don't know what to expect.
>>
>>1100017
*British Airways, not Thompson - my mistake
>>
>>1100017
HK is a former colony of the UK. Most people working in hospitality can communicate in English.
>>
Is Chungking Mansions worth a visit? How bad are the touts?
>>
>>1100017
Hong Kong's weather is Asian, everything else is very Western, so don't expect too much difference.
>>
>>1100737
I'm bored and raised here.
>What are some good places to visit?
What are you into? Sightseeing or partying and drinking?
>>
>>1100025
Chungking Mansions is mostly Indians and Africans trading mobile phones with a good scattering of Indian restaurants, some good some not so good.

There are cheap places to stay on the upper floors. It's a good location. Touts are hawking cheap suits and fake watches. Easy to ignore
>>
>>1099961
>>The Peak (you can buy the 360 degree access pass but a balcony from the peak tower is just as fine)

Avoid the Peak Tower. Look for Lugard Road, a narrow path to the right of the Mall. The best views are about 20 minutes walk along there. The path is a complete circuit and will bring you back to where you started from in about 60-90 minutes depending on how fast you walk.

43% of Hong Kong's land area is country park the mountains in the back of OP's picture are laced with excellent hiking trails.
>>
File: 1384407469270.jpg (29 KB, 474x595) Image search: [Google]
1384407469270.jpg
29 KB, 474x595
dont be a dump backpacker and say "I wanna try to live in chung king mansion!". Yes, u can find a dorm room/ single room in the building but its will be a shit hole. one chinese woman got raped there last year. just go to the hostels in causeway bay like everyone else. its more expensive then SEA countries/ China. but the vibe in these hostels is good.

Yeah, if u wanna fuck, go to 141. if u wanna pick up a local girl, just use tinder/ go to lkf. but compared to Taiwan/ SEA countries, hong kong girls are not easy to pick up.

English. basically we all can speak english fluently here. tons of native speakers here.

pro tip: i think sometimes your GPS will get fucked up in causeway bay/ TST. i dont know why.

Pro tip2 : dont go to the fancy Cha Chaan Tengs, just go to a regular one. the food is same.

Pro Tip 3: DO NOT SPEAK MANDARIN HERE. I got so annoyed by westerners saying "Ni Hao" to me.
>>
plus,beers in LKF (fucking expensive). 420 and lsd in wanchai (dont get caught by police, u will go to jail 100%)
>>
>>1099580

Good luck, friend.

Greatest city in the world.

Cliched but, be sure to drink milk tea and eat some char siu (bbq pork).
>>
File: 200_s.gif (23 KB, 223x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
23 KB, 223x200
>>1101175
>milk tea
I'm a Hongkonger and I really hate that
>>
>>1100962

This is a good post. I'm not OP but thanks for the contribution.

Question, do Hong Kongers know about that cheesy 80s action movie Bloodsport? Do they offer tours of some of the scenes where the movie was filmed, or can you ask around?
>>
Would Hong Kong be a better option for studying abroad as an engineering major compared to Tokyo or Osaka?
>>
>>1100962
I'm a white dude and I spoke Mandarin plenty of times when I was in Kowloon. Oftentimes, it was the only way I could communicate with locals. A lot of people seemed to speak it better than English. I had literally zero negative experiences and several positive ones as a result of speaking Mandarin. 但是我的中文說得跟一般的白鬼好得多, 可能另外遊客的結果會不同. 如果只會 "你好"而已, 我了解你的想法.
>>
How has no one mentioned Ocean Park? It's a fun afternoon.
>>
Going there tomorrow. Is there any wifi I can buy at the airport? Can you buy it in the city?

I already found a bunch of girls on tinder. A cute 20 year old will pick me up and guide me back to the hotel and the rest of the week will be similar. I'll need some internet to keep contact with them so what's the best alternative?

How is the prices of electronics these days?

I want to buy a mechanical keyboard. I'd also like to find a cheap phone repair guy to fix my camera on my Samsung Note. I did it myself previously but I'm too lazy to find the necessary screwdrivers and do it here. (repairs in my country cost fuck lot so fuck them)
>>
>>1101497
For a westerner? Absolutely. Japan you always feel like an alien

Not sure what relevance the major has though
>>
>>1102539
Fuck off faggot. You just look like those lazy fat ass neckbeards who can't do shit and want the easy way out in everything. Using innocent woman for your own advantage.
>>
>>1099580
>>1099591
>Wan Chai

"Not advisable for tourist to visit the canal at night...."
>>
>>1102703
t. Asian guy who wishes he could do the same with white women
>>
File: 1:2.png (177 KB, 274x701) Image search: [Google]
1:2.png
177 KB, 274x701
Same here! I am going to Hong Kong from the first week of June 'til late July.
I am going to stay at my parent's place in Happy Valley (I live in Mexico City).

Will go to Macao and perhaps Singapore.

Any tips?
I made a list of interesting places. Any other recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
>>
File: 2:2.png (126 KB, 200x540) Image search: [Google]
2:2.png
126 KB, 200x540
2nd part of my list.

I am guessing these are the most cliché places in HK.
Anyone have some other cool places that may not be that well known?
>>
Can you use western credit cards at places like McDonald's or 7-11, or do you need to withdraw cash at the ATMs?
>>
>>1104466
lol of course you can use "western credit cards".

Amex and Visa are global operations with huge datacenters all over the place, their entire point is that they're an interconnected network that merchants pay to gain access to in order to facilitate transfer of monies.

Amex is accepted all over the place in HK.
>>
>>1102967
The cliche places in HK are the best though. No need to go to the peak tower. Just go to the peak with a taxi.

Go have a drink in a rooftop bar in TST.

HK hotels are often quite remarkable. The Peninsula has a lot of history behind it. Beautiful bar too, or maybe I'm confusing it with another place.
>>
Where should I go to eat cheap good Dim Sum and other local HK food?
>>
>>1104470
>Just go to the peak with a taxi.
No, go to the Peak on the number 15 bus, upsrairs front seat.
>>
>>1104468
harhar, good luck with that
you should bring cash if you are going to actual neighborhood that HK people go

but if you are going to white guy places, dont bother
>>
>below are all google short url links
>>1104480
GyEVpMAkWJE2
here for spicy fishball, its right next to MTR station so its easy to go and not some tourist scam spot

bJb5vmoAXVB2
then here for all sorts of different food like HK style waffle

5FYRr8GVaNM2
one dim sum i think worth a visit but you probably see it somewhere on a guide book
>>
>>1104501
>you should bring cash if you are going to actual neighborhood that HK people go

Fucking retard. Are the majority of customers at Din Tai Fung or any number of other popular Asian chains "white guys"? How about HK's Tim Ho Wan? You do realize in East Asia a huge number of the best restaurants are based in upscale malls right? Or do by "HK people" you mean dockworkers or something? Hell, 99% of shoppers even at TC Citygate are Chinese.

Fucking "hole in the wall" RealTravelers(TM) shitposting as usual. Fuck off back to your hostel and go and eat at some dirty shithole for its "authenticity".
>>
>>1104470
>>1104485
I would love to take a peaceful hike around The Peak, is it possible?

I am planning to hit the restaurant-bar inside the Ritz-Carlton since the view from there is spectacular.
>>
>>1104510
I think the whole idea is to try the local food, if there is any. Not to avoid white guys.

I was only here a couple of days but I couldn't really see anything one would call 'local' aside from the dim sum or maybe some grandpa/grandma restaurants.

Just today the subject came up. The Hong Kong girl I met said there's no particular food for the area, but that there's many nice restaurants - for an example Singaporean food. Which is fucking ironic since I spent some days in Singapore before Christmas where the local girl said she prefered Hong Kong restaurants and that there was no Singaporean food.

That said. I fucking agree about the 'real traveler' bullshit going on around here.
>>
So Wednesday nights to get laid:

Go to Wan Chai and target the flip and indo maids?
>>
>>1102539
not the other chink, but i like how this post sounds like

'i will be waiting for Mom to pick me up from school back to home'
maybe it's par the course for twenty something these days, and women like it so much because they get to hold the reign and whip

reminds me of what i saw in vietnam on a business trip
two lanky babyface boys obediently following a midget girl that was guiding them between restaurants and shops
like two kindergarteners holding onto their babysitter's skirt

i wonder if it's Curly or Droopy she would be banging that night
or maybe getting spitroasted by both
>>
Was recently in HK. Never stay in the Chungking Mansion or 'mansions' near TST.

Internet connection in those shoebox rooms is absolute shit, area is shady, you're constantly bugged by Indian or Paki scammers, and shady black African guys are walking around after night fall.
>>
>>1099580
I lived in HK for a yearn and took the time to visist every district. There aersome must-see's like Victoria Peak and the Big Budddha; Lan Kwai Fong for the night life, although Wan Chai is really cool aswell.
If you want to go to the beach, I suggest you go to Stanley or Big Wave Bay. Wan Chai is also a nice place to go to the beach.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.