[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Me and a friend have been planning on going hiking in Europe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
File: 1556_1.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
1556_1.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1063
Me and a friend have been planning on going hiking in Europe at the beginning of this summer and we're hoping that you guys could provide with information or advice. We are interested in preferably hiking from hut to hut although I have a good tent to bring if it's needed. We are planning on being out and about for about 2 weeks. Right now we are looking at the Dolomites and hoping that it's not to expensive. Is it possible to follow a trail for a long duration and find accomodation that isn't too expensive?

We are of course open to other suggestions. Corsica and the GR20 is an option for us even if we think that it might be a bit too much suffering..

I have climbed Kilimanjaro earlier and done some other trekking so I have some experience while my friend hasn't although he is in good physical shape.
>>
File: SAM_2068.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2068.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
my only experience with huts in Europe was along the GR11 trail in the Pyrenees. There are staffed huts that you pay to stay in, but more common are public huts which, in Spain were typically either completely trashed or like pic related. In Andorra the huts were clean, though very basic.
I only did ten days so I didn't get a great sense of the overall quality.

I've extensively explored the bothy system in Scotland but that's quite different to what you're thinking.
If there's an online resource for all huts in Europe, I'd love to know about it.
>>
File: SAM_2089.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2089.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>1098367
One of the Andorran ones
>>
We have been looking at the Pyrenees as well! How much did it cost to stay at the huts? Did you need to carry a tent with you? How about food?

Grateful for answers!
>>
File: SAM_2064.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2064.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>1098372
I'm not saying they Pyrenees are better than the Alps; just sharing my
experience. I expected to be camping every night because I didn't know
these 'refugios' existed; so I can't tell you anything about the huts
there other than what I saw. I looked up one of the staffed huts I
passed and it looks like it's around 40 euro per night including
meals, but that's pretty ridiculous. here's the site:
http://www.refugimalniu.com/portal/home
Definitely carry a tent with you; I got hit with a surprise
thunderstorm while I was at 1,500 meters and my tent saved my ass. I
also got hit with a snowstorm at 2500m, and this was in June. The
Pyrenees are rugged as a motherfucker.
>>
>>1098588
Here, this blog gives a good idea of what the experience is like, although they seem to be ignoring the free refugios.
>>
>>1098593
link
https://www.travelblog.org/Europe/Spain/Aragon/blog-808124.html
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.