[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have left the United States with the intention of deriving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: aerochameleon.jpg (252 KB, 1260x1423) Image search: [Google]
aerochameleon.jpg
252 KB, 1260x1423
I have left the United States with the intention of deriving as much as possible from the inexpressibly rich South American continent. I have no more than my backpack, instrument, and 800 USD and am eager to see what will come from the trip. There is no real itinerary nor any plan for a return and unless physical necessity demands that I give it up, I will continue to explore this land, working when I have to, indefinitely.

I am starting in Peru because convenience makes it easy for me to do so and because I am interested in some of the traditional practices to be found there in particular. From there it is likely to be East, but I cannot know for certain. I will likely work for a month or so in Lima before I backpack elsewhere just so I can learn enough Spanish to get by in other areas where English speakers are not so easily found.

I have traveled like this in the past but never without even the slightest idea concerning an end date. For years I have kept a journal with me to record my thoughts and experiences and will be doing so as I move along in South America. I decided to make a blog and type up my journal entries and would love for you, my brothers and sisters, to follow it and post on there with any tips, ideas, or even unrelated thoughts.

The website is aerochameleon.wordpress.com I will update it on a consistent basis since I tend to write often in my journal.

I believe that this is how we are meant to live and in the process of this indefinite journey, I hope to uncover whether I am wrong in harboring this conviction.
>>
>>1098237

I'm not an expert, but I don't know if this is the best time to go. Several South American nations are experiencing financial troubles (especially Brazil and Venezuela) so I'm not sure if that's going to hurt your ability to find jobs down there.
>>
cool blog bro
>>
>>1098241
My blog is a little behind since I have not had much time to write. I'm already in Lima but from what I have learned from the people I've talked to, it's not too difficult to find work. I am certified to teach English.
>>
>>1098243
I meant since I have not had much time to type.
>>
>>1098243
>I am certified to teach English.

Wonderful. Please stop writing in it, would you? You seriously suck at it -- you're equal parts pretentious and awkward, which add up to 100% boring. Also, fuck off with your advertising.
>>
>>1098257
You sound insecure, I am sorry for you.
>>
>>1098237
Yeah OP travel blogging ain't easy you see, this sounds like some stardate 2016 hogwash. People that you think would be in to hearing it just aren't. Good travel blogs recommend places or resturants or experiences. No one wants to read your progressive education because people are dealing with their own lives. Good luck on your trip but (and I mean this) no one cares.
>>
> convenience makes it easy for me to do so
maybe try learning English before you start with Spanish
srsly tho, sounds fun, will check out your blog
>>
>>1098276
I wouldn't go as far as to say that no one cares, but the blog can't be about personal reflection.
>>
>>1098237
make sure you're caught up on all your immunizations and what instrument?
>>
>>1098400
>what instrument?
Dragon dildo.
>>
>>1098400
Accordion. It's too late for immunizations now but there are not many that are recommended for South America.
>>
>>1098397
I'm doing it primarily so that my entries are saved in case I lose my notebook. Some guy tried to take my bag today so it's already proven itself to be a good precaution. If it ends up entertaining or inspiring even a single reader, then all the better.
>>
>>1098470
>Accordion.
You should have stuck with "dragon dildo" -- it's less embarrassing. Unless this is all an elaborate troll, in which case carry on.
>>
>>1098472
Many people have heard me play, even more know that I do yet you are the first person to ever call it embarrassing. What is embarrassing about it?
>>
File: the spinkster.jpg (17 KB, 236x262) Image search: [Google]
the spinkster.jpg
17 KB, 236x262
>>1098476
>yet you are the first person to ever call it embarrassing.
Doubtless I'm not the first to think it embarrassing, though.

>>1098476
>What is embarrassing about it?
What isn't? Everything about it is cringe-worthy. It's music/an instrument for peasants.
>>
>>1098479
Your ignorance is the only thing embarrassing my friend. Why don't you do yourself the service of listening to some accordion music? Only an individual whose understanding of music does not extend beyond what is on the radio would consider any instrument 'embarassing'.
>>
File: blog-header.png (250 KB, 1000x288) Image search: [Google]
blog-header.png
250 KB, 1000x288
>>1098484
LOL, you're either a troll or a loon. What you're not is entertaining. See you next Tuesday.
>>
>>1098489
I am not trolling and it is not my place to say whether I am a loon. I certainly don't mind not being entertaining as you say, I do not strive to be, but really, do yourselet some good and listen to some accordion music. It is a beautiful and complex instrument capable of conveying more than most others are able to
>>
>>1098257
Why u haff to be mad?
>>
>>1098470
What model? I would have thought an accordion an awkward instrument for backpacking. A concertina would be much more convenient.
>>
>>1098237
EDGY
D
G
Y

Gonna love to see this pretentious hipster faggot post a couple of months later about his REAL travelling experience of running out of money in Argentina and having to be a rent boy for two months to be able to pay for a ticket back to the US
>>
>>1098560
It's an older Marco d'oro model. I used to travel with a mid size 48 button one which was much lighter and easier to travel with but I got a full size for this trip to improve. The greater range of the full size is definitely worth the extra bulk. Its case is nothe much different than an old fashioned suit case so it's not too awkward to carry and it makes for a good seat when I need one.

>>1098564
Well I guess you can subscribe and hope that one of the posts will be an investigation of life as a 'rent boy'.
>>
>>1098564
Also, what do you mean by REAL? Is that to suggest what I've done so far is fake? What should I do for a REAL experience besides run out of money?
>>
>>1098590
I think anon meant that he imagined that you yourself would proclaim it to have been REAL.
As opposed to how the rest of us travel.
>>
>>1098625
I do not take it so far. The valuable travel experience is the one that develops the individual further toward his potential. For this, I think more than two weeks is necessary.
>>
>>1098646
I've been living abroad doing what you're doing since 2008. The first mistake you're making is thinking that anyone cares how the experience changed you. They really, really don't. If you want to be a good traveler, add to the body of knowledge. Use a WordPress blog and profile every single business you deal with. Give photos, locations, se fala inglês, everything. The rest is backpacker bullshit that a lot of us long-timers don't care about.
>>
>>1098656
It might not have been clear as I thought I made it, but I am not writing this with the idea that it will have any effect on who might read it. As I said in the OP I have been writing entries like this for years and only now started with the blog. Needless to say, it is important for me to record how I am affected and so I do so.

It is not a travel blog meant to make the places I go to appealing. It is no more than my personal journal digitized to ensure I don't lose the entries and for those who for whatever reason may be interested, to read. There are plenty of sites to recommend places worthy of a visit and I would not waste my time in writing what can easily be found elsewhere for no benefit to myself.

All that aside, I am glad to know you've been able to keep it up for so long and would like to learn more about how it's been for you.
>>
>>1098657
Get rid of your car, learn to love Google Drive, make sure you have your PayPal / Square accounts set up, and make sure everything is backed up. Fit everything into a suitcase, a carry-on, and a laptop bag. Keep your passport next to your body. Get paid in dollars whenever you can. Don't change money unless you have to. Don't carry a lot of cash unless you have to. You will develop a way of establishing yourself and setting up your game that is repeatable regardless of which country you're in. Continue to file taxes in the US even if you don't owe. Don't overstay your visa in places where it matters.
>>
>>1098660
This is great advice thanks a lot. What sort of work have you found is typically easy to find regardless of location?
>>
>>1098686
For me, teaching English, but I'm a career educator and a professional writer with a resume a mile long and university contacts on six continents. I teach English until I work my way into the university system, then I work for research groups. Some countries I have contacts at the national level. There's a university in Colombia for which I was responsible for half the English language production last year. My name appears in hundreds of journals. You would need to build up that sort of network for whatever you wanted to do. It takes for fucking ever.
>>
>>1098694
Good for you brother it sounds like you have done well for yourself. I will start handing out CVs tomorrow and hopefully get myself situated sooner rather than later.
>>
>>1098694
>I can't find work but I SHOULD BE making a fortune, just look at my resume!
>>
>>1098484

Wow, you type like a fucking prick, you think being efite is cool?
>>
>>1098720
What's that about? I have no problems getting work.
>>
>>1098711
You've got to network like a motherfucker too, don't forget. South America is crawling with backpacking gringoes who want to work. But they're always coming and going, so the more friends you make, the better the odds that you can be in the right place at the right time to pick up where someone else left off. Ive started my business over from scratch multiple times, once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.
>>
>>1098237
>For years I have kept a journal
That's a bit shocking considering what a terrible writer you are.
>>
>>1098257
This.

Your writing is terrible OP.
>>
>>1098765
Thanks again. Luckily I have some friends that are well established. A few fortunate opportunities have already come up so hopefully it all works out.

>>1098786
Any specific critique? I always take advice that is more than 'just stop' seriously.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.