[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm going on holiday to Egypt in June, how safe is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (628 KB, 860x558) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
628 KB, 860x558
So I'm going on holiday to Egypt in June, how safe is it and how do I not die?
>>
Pls help?
>>
Just put on the vest and follow Ahmed's orders carefully, Allahu Akbar.
>>
>>1097848
Seriously though?
>>
>>1097867
You are objectively fucked OP. I hear they kidnap, torture and rape anyone who is white over there
>>
File: 20160111_egypte_fcv_cle8456ad.jpg (336 KB, 680x741) Image search: [Google]
20160111_egypte_fcv_cle8456ad.jpg
336 KB, 680x741
Stick to yellow area
>>
File: alien_egypt.gif (27 KB, 570x600) Image search: [Google]
alien_egypt.gif
27 KB, 570x600
>>1097835
You might want to contact the Egyptian Embassy, I hear that Egypt has been closed to tourism until further notice.

I'd call today, if I were you.
>>
>>1097872
Source?
>>1097868
welp shit
>>
>>1097878
>Source?

Was posted on Trip Advisor's Egyptian page early today.
>>
>>1097892
Seriously? Fugg
>>
>>1097892
wait, this is an april fool's isn't it?
>>
>>1097894
Nah, man, /trv/ has no sense of humor. Must be real.
>>
>>1097835
>how safe is it?

not very

>and how do I not die?

luck
>>
>>1097835
Last I heard from people coming back, Cairo is sketchy as shit. The kind, normal people are still there, but now there's this undercurrent of lunatics that coexist with them. Stuff like if you're at a traffic light in the wrong part of town and you're obviously foreign (white, asian, etc) they try to open your car door to do... something... to you. The taxi drivers can usually escape them, but it's really hard to avoid them altogether.
>>
>>1097835
>>1097870
Orange is completely okay, too.

Don't worry that much. Just don't join demonstrations or let them provoke you.
>>
>>1097953
If could blend in I would go but that's not the sort of place where I'd want to quickly be pegged as tourist-guy

being Arab won't help. Every neighborhood knows who a regular there and who is not.
>>
>>1097892
>John Noble
nice get
>>
>>1097843
>Pls help?
Yes, you will say this a lot.
>>
>>1097953
>>1097872
>>1097868
Not true, trolls get fucked
>>
I'm a kinda fat really tall white guy (stick out like a sore fucking thumb), I was in Cairo last June for 2 weeks. It's fun and people are nice. The only thing you need to watch for are merchant scams. Don't buy any fucking papyrus! Guy offers you tea in his shop or says he wants to show you his store? Be stern, LAH. Fuck that shit.

Think about booking tours at Giza and the Museums ahead of time and through a highly reputable group. The cost of hiring a private driver for a couple Days might seem like a lot, but the cabs are starved for business and often try to scam tourists with ridiculous prices.

Honestly the hardest thing is being treated like some rich guy. Can't connect with locals as easily.
>>
>>1098247
kek
>>
It really depends on where you're going, and who you ask. The UK advice seems relatively relaxed as per pic.

One interesting point - if the government of your home nation has advised that you not travel to a given area, your travel insurance could be worthless. Might want to look into that.
>>
>>1097835
>how do I not die?
stay away from the road
>>
>>1097872
If you've booked with a tour group travel agency won't they take care of that shit?
>>
File: Capybaras.jpg (121 KB, 960x641) Image search: [Google]
Capybaras.jpg
121 KB, 960x641
You're fine OP

I travelled to Egypt almost exactly a year ago. Cairo is more or less safe, just stay away from anything that looks like a political demonstration and stay away from poorer parts of town (which you probably won't be near anyways).

I recommend staying somewhere near Tahrir Square or Talat Harb square. There are nice hotels and some cheap (not super nice) hostels nearby (and by cheap I mean 7$ a night). From there you can explore a safe part of Cairo on foot and check out the Egyptian Museum. Ask someone at you're hotel/hostel for a cab to the pyramids. Also, demand to be dropped off at the entrance to the pyramids. Do not agree to anything involving camels or horses. Don't even look at a camel or horse. In fact don't make eye contact with anyone unless you want to buy something from them (this applies to all of Egypt). Just pay the visitor's fee for the Pyramids and explore it all on foot. They will tell you that it's too large to explore on foot. That's a lie. Also you're cab driver may want to take you to some papyrus shop. Don't.

Also, some people can be annoying as fuck. If you're black, Asian, or a woman, expect stares and obnoxious verbal harassment.

I can tell you more about Alexandria and Luxor if you're interested.
>>
File: Cabybara.jpg (429 KB, 1282x854) Image search: [Google]
Cabybara.jpg
429 KB, 1282x854
>>1098504

I forgot to mention traffic and crossing streets. Unless you've had some experience crossing busy streets in places like Mexico or India, walking around Cairo can seem kinda sketch. Just find a local and cross the street with them
>>
>>1098504
> If you're black, Asian, or a woman, expect stares and obnoxious verbal harassment.

WE

WUZ
>>
>>1098509
KINGZ N SHIT
>>
>>1098508
Bear in mind that once you've crossed the road with an Egyptian they take that as consent to spend the next 30 minutes trying to sell you horrible tourist shit you don't want.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.