[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>really obscure but still interesting spots you want to travel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: south georgia 4.jpg (106 KB, 800x501) Image search: [Google]
south georgia 4.jpg
106 KB, 800x501
>really obscure but still interesting spots you want to travel to thread

I'm making it my goal to go to the South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands this year, about a thousand miles away from the Falkland Islands. Supposedly there are no indigenous peoples and only a handful of people actually live there year round.

Rugged as fuck, surrounded by glaciers and requiring a very skilled sailor to navigate in the treacherous waters of the southern ocean... once you reach there the local fauna aren't afraid of humans since they've never really had contact with them. Hunting is illegal and so are guns even for self defense... It's almost regressing to a caveman situation.
>>
I'd love to do something like this, but whenever I see the price tag for that kind of expedition, I realize I could spend the money on six months in Thailand instead.
>>
>>1096562
Everything is a balance anon, and you can also for that money live a year in your mom's house playing video games.

I'm not going to lie and say Thailand isn't fun but how many people do you meet that can actually have claimed to been to these remote South Atlantic Islands?
>>
>>1096565
Well if it's just about adding inches to your travelpenis, how many people are you going to meet that actually care?
>>
>>1096590
It's not about "travel penis" but it's interesting story to tell my friends.

And yes they care or else I wouldn't bother chatting with them about it.

It's not like I pull out a soapbox in the supermarket and yell about how much of a RRRREAL TRAVELER I am, it's legitimately interesting for me to go to remote and crazy areas without all the crushing safeties of the modern world.
>>
But you do sound like a discovery channel narrator, friendo. My question to you is, once you get there with the aid of a skilled sailor, what are you going to do there? The flora & fauna appear to be very sparse at best.

>mfw there is street view for OP's destination

Also

>hunting illegal
>for cavemen
>not having electricity
>think again cavemen

>Supposedly there are no indigenous peoples and only a handful of people actually live there year round.

FOR.A.REASON.
Now go away.
>>
>>1096559
Go to Alaska instead, you'll thank me later
>>
File: FairyMeadows.jpg (150 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
FairyMeadows.jpg
150 KB, 800x600
>>1096590
It's about seeing something really unique and the accomplishment of making it somewhere that's hard to get to.

Also, my obscure destination would be going up the Karakoram Highway and hiking for a day to reach the Fairy Meadows in Pakistan.
>>
Though it's relatively well known, I'd really like to go to Socotra but y'know... Yemen
>>
>>1096559

OP, I want to go to South Georgia as well. I'm really interested in the 1916 and 1922 Shackleton expeditions, and South Georgia plays a prominent role in both. Shackleton's grave is there. How do you plan on going? Which company are you using? And, have you seen anybody offering trips to Elephant Island?
>>
>>1096712
South Georgia gets a few adventure cruises stopping by. I was there on the Marco Polo years ago. Penguins, elephant seals, fur seals, mostly..
We sailed by Elephant Island, but conditions are rarely calm enough to do a landing with the semi-inflatable landing boats they use.
I don't think anybody goes to the South Sandwich Islands.
>>
>>1096724
>I don't think anybody goes to the South Sandwich Islands.
Apart from e-peen shaking, I can't see any reason to go there at all. South Georgia is another story altogether -- thanks for the Marco Polo tip; googling it gave a few other suggestions for cruise lines operating in the region. I'm definitely on the look-out for a Shackleton-themed cruise.
>>
>>1096712
>>1096739
I looked into some tours and they were all long tours (15-30 days) and expensive as hell... but they look like they're targeted towards wealthy American/European retirees with guides and paid meals.

I'm now thinking of finding an Argentine company in Ushuaia that I can just charter a private trip over there.
>>
>>1096935
>they look like they're targeted towards wealthy American/European retirees with guides and paid meals.

This is the impression I've gotten too. I think it's worth the time/money, but like you wish it was less expensive. I'm doubtful, though, that doing something private out of Ushuaia would be significantly cheaper -- you'd have to pay for boat, crew, fuel, etc. by yourself. Or am I missing something here?
>>
>>1096935
I don't think anything will be cheap, since it is several days travel by boat, and has no airport. You might also look at access from Port Stanley, which is a bit closer than Ushuaia.
>>
>>1096954
But it's already expensive to get out to Port Stanley, no?
>>
>>1096947
From what I've experienced in South America, "adventure tourism" is less clean and pre-packaged than in Europe and North America (they don't feed you, the conditions are more Spartan), I can understand Spanish and speak it enough to get by, I feel that maybe an Argentine or Chilean group would be cheaper, and maybe since they live there, they don't need this massive one month trek when a week should be enough to check out some very interesting but admittingly very desolate islands.

>>1096954
>>1096958
They changed the name in 2004, it's now just "Stanley", not "Port Stanley"...
>>
>>1097084

Wow -- great photo! I've been to elephant seal breeding grounds before; something the size of the one you show on South Georgia must smell like hell. Do come back and post if you're able to find something private in Patagonia. Plenty of people, most especially me, will happy to learn of your success.
>>
>>1097202
Sure, I will.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.