[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hitchhiking in western europe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
For as far as I know, it's not very common here. Anyone who has done it here, and has some advice or information?
>>
It's easy. At least before all this terrorist shit - I don't know if that changes things.

The only hard countries were Spain and Italy (which is weird because they're the friendliest ones). Easiest were Germany and France. But even countries like Sweden and Norway which everyone says is impossible weren't all that bad.
>>
>>1096240
Where did you start (truck stops, on the highway, etc.)? Have you been in The Netherlands and Belgium?
>>
>>1096241

Dude Europe is easy mode for hitchhiking. Just stand anywhere a car can stop. Signs will be your friend. Don't be an idiot and stand on a motorway where nobody has time/room to stop. Try to look and act like a friendly normal dude.

I've hitchhiked all over Western and Eastern Europe last year and had very little trouble.
>>
>>1096320
How far can you plan to go in 1 day? Are truck drivers a good choice? Sorry for asking so much questions.
>>
I've hitchhiked in every country in western and central Europe, except Scandinavia. Scotland, Wales and Ireland are easy-tier, then Benelux and Germany, then England and France. Alps are easy; Spain, Portugal and Italy are difficult (but worth the trouble). The easiest place in Europe is Sardinia and Corsica, but you probably weren't planning on going there.

>>1096402
Depends on how good the highways are in the country. The fastest way to get around is to hop between service stations on the motorways. Doing this, you can get from Edinburgh to London in one day with a little bit of luck.
The best way to hitch service stations is to stand outside the doors with a sign, and talk to people, instead of waving your thumb at them from the roadside.

Most truck drivers these days either have CCTV cameras in the cab, or insurance stipulations that forbid hitchhikers. But if one in five truckers is willing to pick you up, he'll probably take you 500 miles, so it's definitely worth asking.
>>
>>1096455
as for truck drivers go for ones from eastern europe - they are everywhere and give 0 shits about laws, but might not speak english

but honestly biggest protip is to travel with a cute girl - it cuts your waiting times at least in half. best combo is two teenage girls one guy - in countries like italy it becomes weird if the first car one of them wave doesn't stop

sometimes in for example spain i had a really hard time as a solo male - to the point of standing like 8h in a great spot
>>
Be aware that certain countries forbid hitchhiking in certain places - but those places are often bad spots for hitchhiking to begin with.
>>
what would be the medium waiting times in good zones, average zones and bad zones?
>>
>>1096871
I am a cute girl already, and maybe I'll take another cute girl with me.
>>
>>1096946
Well 'good' and 'bad' refer to people's attitudes, but you've got to factor in the second variable, which is volume of traffic. People have good attitudes in rural areas, but you might wait 30 minutes for a single car to come along.
But a straightforward answer to your question -- 15 minutes in good zones, maybe two hours in bad zones. I refuse myself the right to hate the world until I've been waiting at least three hours.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.