[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your "hidden gem"? A country, city or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 46
File: Hidden Gems OK.jpg (22 KB, 408x349) Image search: [Google]
Hidden Gems OK.jpg
22 KB, 408x349
What's your "hidden gem"?

A country, city or park that doesn't get much respect and/or is underappreciated?

I'm not as well traveled as you folks, but I'd go with Georgia, the country. Was not expecting it to be so beautiful and so cheap.
>>
File: roof.jpg (415 KB, 1248x702) Image search: [Google]
roof.jpg
415 KB, 1248x702
literally anywhere in the sierra outside the main yosemite corridor and a couple other high traffic areas like whitney.
>>
Colombia.

I first went down there some time back, when their reputation as a drug cartel shooting-range was keeping visitors away in droves. The situation had improved, but visitors hadn't fully caught on yet. Damn, you never saw people so happy to see a traveler in their country. It was like being a rock-star.

That feeling has faded, f course bu it is still an under-valued travel destination.
>>
>>1096190
Mah nigga, also eastern side of sierras for life
>>
>>1096186
>kecskemet, Hungary
I want to go back and be buried there
>>
File: truffle_shuffle.jpg (29 KB, 306x354) Image search: [Google]
truffle_shuffle.jpg
29 KB, 306x354
Astoria
>>
>>1096186
Any 2nd tier city in Europe. Seriously, there's so many wonderful cities in Europe that get barely any tourists at all even in the peak travel season. You could get a cheap place to stay, eat and drink like a local, the people there are less jaded of tourists and will likely treat you better. When I see people post Euro-trip itineraries with only Barcelona-Paris-Amsterdam-Berlin-Prague type of itineraries it makes me sick.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1459223330728.jpg (44 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1459223330728.jpg
44 KB, 640x640
Bahrain
>>
>>1096304
Care to give us a few cities you'd particularly recommend?
>>
Anzio italy. i bought a lego car while i was in france and i had it with me and the owner of the hotel i stayed at loved it. i went out to eat and came back and swam in the pool and then had free drinks with the owner and his family. i was so drunk.
>>
>>1096333
caen france. lyons. anzio italy. corvara italy. soll austria. ingolstadt germany. pompeii, salerno italy
>>
>>1096186
The beaches of Germany you fuckstick
>>
>>1096343
I live near Lyon, it's too big, too crowded,
population over 1 million.
I recommend Annecy
>>
>>1096346
i never went to lyon. it looked small on a map. i drove from bailly-romanvilliers to basel switzerland dont remember what towns i went thru
>>
Uruguay, notably the places along the Rio Plate. Laid back, cheap, beach towns on a river opening.
>>
File: P9094601.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
P9094601.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>1096186
>Georgia, the country
Word, there's a reason why I went twice. The entire high Caucasus is amazing in general.
>>
>>1096348
Lyon is bigger than Amsterdam, third largest city in France.
worth a one or two day visit if you'd like, they say it's capital of food. It's really mix thing,
you have a ancien Roman theatre then you have a gothic church in the same area.
Ancien city is very old but when you cross the bridge you have luxury buildings like those in Paris.
visiting on bike is very easy and cheap.
>>
This thread has potencial.
>>
File: IMAG1884.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1884.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>1096186
Georgia is the fucking tits.

I was really impressed by Zambia. I found the country very pleasant compared to its neighbors. Friendly locals who are fluent in English, clean cunt, vic falls is amazing, hitching can be done easily... Cheap flights from Europe atm.
>>
Nicaragua
>>
Hit me up with some hidden beach gems. Preferably europe. I really just want to spend a few weeks at an empty beach. Portugal maybe?
>>
>>1096304
This.
>>
>>1097365
Scotland, Albania, southern Portugal is dope, Greek islands of course.

For Scotland and Albania your gonna have to work to figure out the spots, but fuckin awesome when you do. Totally deserted white sand cliff diving paradise.
>>
>>1097400
Thank you. What's the weather in Scotland like in august or September? comparable to uk?
>>
>>1096359
>Uruguay
>cheap

Damn we must've been in different parts. I went there for a bit from Argentina and the price increase was pretty harsh. This was in 2014, idk if the economic situation has changed since then
>>
>>1097430
Isn't Scotland still in the UK?
>>
>>1097432
Where'd you go?

Relative to Argentina it might have been expensive (took the trip back in 2008, forgot most of the costs), but overall I do recall it not being very much.
>>
>>1097437
If you want to see Argentina for cheap you have to go soon, they're taking a massive half trillion dollar loan to restructure the peso to put it from Arg $15.00/USD $1.00 to Arg $1.50/USD$1.00...

It'll probably drag it's ass for a year or two but it won't be a cheap destination for long, in the 90s it was expensive as fuck to go to Buenos Aires, almost on par with Tokyo.
>>
>>1097434
Yes, but you know what was meant.
>>
>>1097434
>>1097468

Youre right. Sorry, I'm an ignorant German. I meant England
>>
Honestly, Mount Charleston in Nevada, 35 miles northwest of Las Vegas, much cooler here then in the city, so much great hiking, camping and views, also skiiing. Dont know how well known it is nationwide but Vegas locals come here all the time to get away from the desert heat, and get into some forest.

Also other great areas around the Las Vegas areas are Red Rock National Park, Valley of Fire State Park, a bit futher is Death Valley. ALL very much worth seeing.
>>
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 296x170) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 296x170
>>1097523
Here's a pic of Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. Great hiking and camping, some cool views of Vegas from here especially at night .
>>
>>1097523
Here's Elephant Rock in Valley of Fire State Park. Really great sights here along with some camping and hiking, also petroglyphs! But yeah there's red and orange rocks in wild formations literally everywhere.
>>
File: elephant rock.jpg (638 KB, 2048x1356) Image search: [Google]
elephant rock.jpg
638 KB, 2048x1356
>>1097526
Forgot pic.
>>
File: death-valley-moving-stone.jpg (195 KB, 828x550) Image search: [Google]
death-valley-moving-stone.jpg
195 KB, 828x550
>>1097523
Here's a picture from "The Racetrack" at Death Valley National Park. These are "sailing stones" that apparently slide through the sand leaving long trails. Scientists still apparently aren't 100 percent sure how it even occurs.

Also Death Valley has awesome sand dunes and other cool sights like the lowest point in North America, Badwater Basin.
>>
>>1097527
I re-dub thee "Space Jockey Rock."
>>
File: Joshua+Tree+Sunset.jpg (72 KB, 1000x401) Image search: [Google]
Joshua+Tree+Sunset.jpg
72 KB, 1000x401
During a roadtrip through the western states I visited most national parks, i liked joshua tree, zion and yosemite national park most. Zion had some great hiking trails.

>>1097531
pretty sure they solved that with the explanation of thin ice sheets forming and melting + wind. i was there myself, was absolutely not worth it. you have to also drive ~40minutes offroad on big gravel, you might end up like me going through it full blast with a buick sedan passing offroad vehicles with popped tires
>>
Agree about Georgia the country, it's amazing.

Others; Udine, Italy (and indeed the surrounding region), several places in Slovenia - if not the whole country, actually; in England, Frome in Somerset is worth a mention - but actually that whole Wiltshire/Somerset/Gloucestershire area has lots of nice little towns (and a few really horrid ones - do your research, and by no means go to Trowbridge) in, and cool, smooth, green, gently hilly landscapes too
>>
I would say all of Slovakia, especially Banska Bystrica and the Tatras near Poprad. Also Wroclaw. And I know Riga isn't really 'hidden', but I don't think it gets enough credit.
>>
>>1097328
Is this Georgia? This looks insanely great!
>>
File: FB_IMG_1459419070516.jpg (42 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1459419070516.jpg
42 KB, 960x720
>>1097607
No lol, Victoria Falls in Zambia.
>>
>>1097551
You're close, but it's not that. Every now and then, rarely, it rains in Death Valley and makes the ground slick and muddy. These rocks move in the winds over the slick surface and leave these trails. That's why scientists have observed them moving over a period of years, rather than being leftovers from millennia ago.
>>
Taiwan

Amazing food is cheap and plentiful, scenery is beautiful, good mix of history and modern, and the people are the friendliest I've ever met
>>
>>1097551
That gravel road was fucking amazing, never had that sort of desolation before, but I went the back way up the mountain in a Jeep. There are so many parts of death valley that are incredible, and it's about the desolation and beauty all over, not just driving to see "this cool thing" for a long fucking time. It's like about the journey man, not the destination, you know?
>>
>>1097526
i got married at that park but I did't see that cool ass rock because my marriage took about an hour.
>>
Quit hiding your gems
>>
Utah. So many great places if you're the outdoors type. If you like the city/nightlife kind of thing, we can do nothin' for ya son.
>>
>>1097523
>>1097531
>>1097551
Death Valley in the heat of the summer is my favorite.

>>1099153
So much to see in Canyon Country. Sure, Arches and other things on the beaten path are crowded, but it's easy to get away from that since the area itself is so huge.
>>
File: sat.jpg (129 KB, 630x418) Image search: [Google]
sat.jpg
129 KB, 630x418
Pacific Northwest seems pretty misrepresented. People seem to just go to Seattle and Vancouver for food stuff. There's some parts of the area with a real Mediterranean climate and are great during the summer.
>>
>>1099164
You're from Spokane too, I take it.
>>
>>1097455
Wtf, where did you read that? 1 USD = 1.50 peso? That's crazy.
>>
File: Dogo.jpg (308 KB, 710x310) Image search: [Google]
Dogo.jpg
308 KB, 710x310
I've been resisting giving up my gems, but you all convinced me.

First gem: Matsuyama in Shikoku, Japan. Like many cities in Shikoku, it was spared from most of the bombing from WW2 and as a result most of it's traditional buildings are still standing. It's got an amazing castle on top of a mountain in the center of the city and the Dogo Onsen (pic related) which was the inspiration for the bathhouse in Spirited Away. I think it's the oldest surviving bathhouse in Japan or at least one of the oldest. It's really cheap to get in and lounge around on the upper levels after your bath, something like $5 for all day access with tea and snacks. It really makes you feel like you've gone back in time.

Second gem: not really a hidden gem if you're Indian or a hippy because you've probably already been or making plans to go, but Rishikesh, India. It's where The Beatles famously went to meditate and get into fights with their wives before making the White Album and incorporating a bunch of Indian sounds into their music. The ashram where they stayed has been abandoned for decades and the jungle is eating it up slowly. It's become a mecca for Beatles fans who painted murals on the ruins and left tributes for The Beatles all over the place. Other than that, Rishikesh itself is the birthplace of yoga and it seems like the population is almost exclusively yoga gurus. This is also one of the last refuges of legit 1960's hippies who are still living the hippy lifestyle. Lots of old white people with long hair and hand-made clothing walking around passing out pamphlets about Osho and what not for 10 rupees each so they can afford to go buy bread. It's kind of cool, even if you're not into their hippy ways. Lastly, it's close to the source of the Ganges, so you can bathe in the Ganges everyday and trust the water is pretty damn clean. It's still a nice glacial shade of azure and it's freezing, which is pretty refreshing if you're there in the summer heat.
>>
>>1096333
I haven't looked into this thread in over a week. The other guy did a good job with recommendations as for my own: Brno, Kutna Hora, Utrecht, Delft, Antwerp, Bath, Lubeck.

I was in the Czech Republic a few years ago in the middle of summer and in both Brno and Olomouc the hostels were kinda empty while Prague was way over-packed with tourists.
>>
What are some hidden gems in Sweden?
>>
>>1097713
>Taiwan

I agree. I've been all around Asia but somehow overlooked Taiwan for a long time, was very pleasantly surprised once I went there. Your description is accurate.
>>
File: IMG_1311.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1311.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
I loved Aachen, Germany

>Aachen was a residence of Charlemagne, and later the coronation place for German kings.

It has a beautiful, historical cathedral and has a nice little museum next to it with quite cool things (Charlemagne gold bust, etc)

Picture is of Charlemagne's throne which is on the second floor in the cathedral
>>
>>1099507
Why is there a space under the throne? Did he poop there?
>>
>>1099507
The throne is kinda mindblowing with how barebones it actually is.
>that mill board etched in the stone
>>
>>1099507
That's nothing like what I'd imagine a throne to look like.
>>
>>1097534
thought the exact same thing
>>
>>1099706
>>1099725
>>1100631

Explanation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throne_of_Charlemagne#Description

I had to pay 4 euros to see it as well; you weren't allowed to go on the second floor without a tour guide
>>
Gothenburg is the perfect Swedish city. Amazing seafood and just super clean, green and nice. Their gardens are to die for.
>>
>>1100976
Amazing mosques too
>>
>>1100982
>i've never actually been to Sweden: the post
>>
As a non-American I have never been more surprised by any State than Arkansas. I don't know if it has a reputation for natural beauty there, but I was really blown away by it.

I also felt like it gave me the Deep South feeling I was looking for, without being totally terrifying that I found in some of the other states in that area
>>
>>1096333
Glasgow!
>>
>>1097365
Camusdarach beach in the West Highlands of Scotland. Also Traigh near Arisaig and the silver sands of morar. It is my favourite place on the world. Truly some of the most beautiful beaches almost completely deserted.
>>
>>1097478
It will be Cold my man but when the sun is out there isn't a better place in the world
See >>1101050
>>
>>1097455
As an Argentinian:
No. This won't happen. Macri is just bullshitting everyone outside Argentina with these things while trying to produce a bloody civil war.
Seriously. This guy has been keping people imprisoned illegaly, mass-fired anyone who isn't a macrist, and is treathening with increasing the electricity/gas fees by a 300%.
It's fucking depressing to have a president with over three hundred legal causes.
>>
>>1096343

>Caen

Confirmed for English pleb
>>
File: Massif Central paysage 2.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Massif Central paysage 2.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>1096186
France here, I'd say the Massif Central (literally "central range", it's the mountain range in the middle of the country)
It's full of preserved architecture, some of the best food of the country, least densely populated area of the country, a lot of great outdoor stuff (it's not as high as the Pyrenees or the Alps so it's a really different kind of landscapes and atmosphere. Lots of forests, plateau, sleeping volcanoes, rivers with beautiful canyons and all the activities that entails.
It's actually a pretty popular spot for French families but foreigners barely know it
>>
File: Gorge-du-tarn.jpg (338 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
Gorge-du-tarn.jpg
338 KB, 1920x800
>>1101289
>>
>>1101291
>>
File: Puy-en-Velay.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Puy-en-Velay.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>1101293
>>
File: Auvergne saucisson.jpg (616 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Auvergne saucisson.jpg
616 KB, 2048x1536
>>1101294
And some god tier food
>>
>>1096343
Those are ridiculously popular tourist destination you magnificent twat
>>
Gaoth dobhair, teileann, ceann trá in Ireland
>>
Azores. I hate to even post it here but Im feeling generous.
>>
>>1096343
>Pompeii
>hidden gem
>>
File: IMG_3451.jpg (372 KB, 857x1143) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3451.jpg
372 KB, 857x1143
>>1096193

Fucking loved Colombia, senpai. I bought a ticket there from Detroit just because the roundtrip was the cheapest option on Skyscanner. I did hardly any research, had no expectations, and enjoyed myself immensely. Colombia is one of a handful of places I'm absolutely dying to go back and visit again. I was surprised by how friendly and welcoming the people were as well. I didn't think I was going to get that kind of hospitality outside of the greater Middle-East, to be honest.

>>1096186

Hard to say.

I know a lot of people who have been to India will disagree with me, but I love Delhi. A large part of that might be because I have so many friends in the NCR, but I think that the city has a lot to offer once you break outside of the tourist bubble and wander a long ways away from places like CP and Paharganj. I've met a ridiculous number of fantastic, friendly, educated, and endearing people while sitting around on A-Block in Connaught Place and taking the Metro from Govindpuri to Rajiv Chowk or from Vaishali to Botanical Gardens.

I've always been blown away by how much people hate Delhi. I can totally understand the sentiment, but I love the city so much that, every time I go to India, I can hardly leave for too long.

Outside of Delhi, I've really liked:

>Belgrade
>Tbilisi
>CALCUTTA (fucking amazing people and food)
>Sarajevo
>Iraqi Kurdistan

But honestly, I've liked just about everywhere I've been, with the single exception being Athens.

Pic related is from NYE in Calcutta. I met so many awesome people just off the street. One guy who was in the Indian Army invited me to a 5-star, we got pretty drunk, he bought me dinner, and then booked a taxi to drop me at my hotel with absolutely no homo suggestions being offered the entire night.

I'm actually going to Toronto in two weeks to meet with a dude I made friends with on NYE. Met him and his friend on the street, we went back to her house and had a round of drinks and some great conversation
>>
File: Angels_Landing2.jpg (522 KB, 1170x900) Image search: [Google]
Angels_Landing2.jpg
522 KB, 1170x900
Zion National Park, Utah!
>>
File: image.jpg (721 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
721 KB, 1920x1200
>>1097400
Could anyone expand on southern Portugal? I'm planning on spending a few weeks there this summer.

Pic is glacier national park in Montana. It's pretty far out there and I don't think gets the same attention as Yellowstone/the California parks but is my personal favorite
>>
>>1101521
>>1101519

You just convinced me to deviate from my route, to head up there and see it, it looks fucking unreal
>>
>>1099229
>Shikoku
Looks neat, someone in the last Japan thread mentioned that doing the pilgrimage around the island on foot was life-changing for him.
>>
>>1101521
Friend South to North and the islands .
I am a Canadian , i arrived in Portugal 2 years ago to Visit Açores (azores) i ended up never leaving , Montana is great
>>
>>1101527
Yeah that was me, not even Japanese people really know anything about Shikoku and I think it's awesome so I'm trying to get the word out.

We always talk about trying to find unspoiled, culturally rich places and this is it but nobody visits it because people don't talk about it because nobody's been there because nobody told them about it, etc etc.
>>
>>1101537
Which Island?
>>
File: bacalao.jpg (50 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
bacalao.jpg
50 KB, 528x960
>>1096186
Honestly, just Portugal in general. I know that there are certain tourist spots but even the big cities like Lisboa and Oporto blew me away.

>Mind-blowingly friendly people, most of whom speak English +2901240819248 other languages
>Delicious, delicous, delicious food and wine (pic related: bacalao smothered in a sauce of onions and garlic served with a mountain of thick-cut potatoes)
>Beautiful landscapes and climate
>Great and interesting history
>Beautiful cities with cool architecture
>CHEAP

Honestly it's fantastic, I was so pleasantly surprised with it. Driving through the Algarve was one of the most breathtaking experiences of my life.

Would live/10

imho it BTFO Spain
>>
Go to Thailand. Stay away from most touristy stuff and you won't regret it.
>>
File: Nong-Khai.jpg (342 KB, 1361x907) Image search: [Google]
Nong-Khai.jpg
342 KB, 1361x907
>>1101723
This. Thailand has amazing nature and nice people once you get the fuck away from hellholes like phuket and bangkok. Pic related, it's motherfucking snakes.
>>
>>1101756
Thirded. Sometimes it irks me in the SEA or other Thailand related threads and people complain about the scammers and touristy aspects, but they only very go to the touristy areas. It's like wtf you think you are going to get in Bangkok or Phuket?
>>
>>1101723
>>1101756
>>1101777

Assuming not samefag, can any of you recommend specifically cool places in Thailand that are off the beaten path a bit?

Maybe somewhere I can stay in a basic, cheap accommodation and go out to explore interesting history or jungle encrusted temples or Indiana Jones it up a bit?
>>
>>1101291
>mfw when I didn't want to reveal this one
Spent about a week getting rained out there, but still gorgeous.
>>
>>1101889
I think you're better off renting a car or motorcycle, it's a rural country with large distances between things.
>>
>>1101889
I am this one >>1101777
Isan is criminally overlooked on this board when it comes to Thailand. That is North East Thaiiland. This anon's photo >>1101756 is from Isan. Personally my ex gf is from Isan. Isan is basically Laos with better infrastructure. The kindest most fun loving people. Love to joke, love to party. Matter of fact my ex sent me some videos and photos a couple of hours a go. I may post them or some old ones. Udon Thani would be easy mode Isan. You can get around fine with only English there. Chiang Mai, in the North, and areas North of that, are also great, though Chiang Mai/Northern Thailand is not as off the beaten path as Isan.
>>
>>1100976
Uppsala is my favorite Swedish city.
Really nice atmosphere between a smal and large city. Probably always something to do and a really nice skyline with the cathedral and the castle.
If you go to Sweden and only visit Stockholm you are for sure missing out.
>>
>>1101001
The Ozarks are surprisingly unknown here in the states.
>>
>>1097430
I'm from Scotland! the weather here is naturally extremely shit most of the time but autumn is a lovely time to come. It will rain a lot, but the sights are still beautiful. I'm from Glasgow, which i would totally recommend if you want to have a great time and get friendly with locals, if you're more into history then definitely go to Edinburgh, it's a beautiful city that you'll fall in love with
>>
File: Image result for israel.jpg (83 KB, 890x400) Image search: [Google]
Image result for israel.jpg
83 KB, 890x400
Israel
Politics aside, it's a beautiful nation with rich history, if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
>>1101889
When I went to Thailand, I stayed mostly in a tiny town called Phattananikhom not too far from Bangkok. Not much to do, but it was authentic enough if that's what you're into.
>>
File: 20140918-IMG_5230-01.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
20140918-IMG_5230-01.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1280
>>1101889
Small forest road north west of wat khao champa
Bring lots of eggs or vegetables
Park by the side of the road and wait for these guys to come pouring out of the woods.
Share some grub with your new ape bros.

Optionally light some incense and pray for buddha to take care of them, that's what the locals do.

Also how do I post coordinates without 4chan thinking it's spam?
>>
>>1097432
>uruguay
>cheap

Choose one
>>
File: _.jpg (198 KB, 1024x388) Image search: [Google]
_.jpg
198 KB, 1024x388
I'd go with Toledo, it's much nicer than Madrid which isn't too great
>>
Serbia is wonderful. The weather is great, everything is cheap as shit, every nook and cranny is filled with an extremely rich history, beautiful places all over the place. Just make sure you learn some basic Serbian beforehand because nobody speaks any other language unless you go to TripAdvisor recommended places in Beograd, but I think that's more or less the case for all of Eastern Europe. In Beograd, definitely go see the ruins of the NATO bombed buildings.

The sheer amount of buff dudes walking around is pretty surprising though.
>>
File: landofskybluewaters.jpg (85 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
landofskybluewaters.jpg
85 KB, 600x400
The Land of 10,000 (11,842) Lakes.

Up in the BWCA. No one really makes it up here, but it is God's gift to man (Canadians and Minnesotans)
>>
>>1101581
I saw the thread, did a bit of research and i'm really considering doing the 88 temple pilgrimage on foot.
>>
>>1102321
Just make sure your shoes are broken in before you go. You don't want to end your first week with double digit blisters.

Also, get good socks and underwear or they'll wear out and cause some chafing/blisters.
>>
>>1102148
toldeo is nice, but I wouldn't spend more than 2 days there
>>
Arabian Sea beaches. Especially in Somalia.
>>
>>1096359
Cabo Polonio in Uruguay, that's heaven on Earth
>>
>>1101124
If you belive this bullshit is because you are either a nigger-ape choriplanero, or you actually don't know shit about reality.

Are you aware of the mess the K left? Or how much money they stole from you?
>>
>>1103188
Ooooh nooot thiiiss buuulshiiit aaagaaaaaaain.
A) THe K's were the only semi-decent presidents we've had in far too long. True, Cristina gave away willy nilly, but they were also the first presidency to recognize that the Dirty Wars happened publically instead of going "Shush, we don't speak about those things!" like a catholic stepmom
B) Cristina was trying to industrialize us, something that obviously would take two or three non-fucked up presidents.
C) Macri tries so fucking hard to be USA's little bitch it's just sad to watch. He begged them for help so much they had to publically tell him to go fuck himself with something sharp.
D) Macri is so much of a fucking disaster the Pope didn't even want to receive him.
E) He hung a portrait of the man who was behind the Dirty Wars (For those who don't know, he proudly admitted being responsible for over 30K dissapeared people) in his office.
F) He fucking sat a fucking dog in the presidential chair trying to be le funnay man for the young people or something.
Do I need to go further? This is just from the top of my head.
>>
>>1099229
I know this sounds ignorant. But as someone who has spent extensive time in Singapore, HK, China, Taiwan and a bit of time in Japan I'm honestly sick to fucking death of traditional Asian architecture. It bores the pants off of me. Curvy rooves and pagodas. That's it. For two thousand years.
>>
>>1103335

You're not alone. After visiting Italy it amazes me people can seriously consider something like osaka castle or kyoto a world heritage site. Compared to St. Peters, Capitoline, Rome in general. Let alone Venice, these places are fucking laughable architecturally speaking.
>>
>>1103341
I kind of agree with you both on that, but maybe its because I live in Europe and were taken to these places throughout my childhood that the impact of them is kind of lost on me. But I am not used to seeing the Asian style buildings so they still have an attraction.

Though I am a fan of colonial architecture in Asian countries
>>
>>1096186
Dresden
>>
>>1103341
I feel the opposite. St. Peters does nothing for me. Just as "Asian architecture" is just "curvy rooves and pagodas", the same can be said for western European architecture being a bunch of "columns and domes". Most of it isn't even that old, most of the famous stuff all from the 16th and 17th century. The REALLY old stuff is usually some completely devastated ruins lying in a field somewhere. There are exceptions like the Roman Colosseum, but most of the famous western Europe things are much more recently built than that.

What I like about Asian architecture, and Japanese in particular, is the extremely clever joinery that allows whole buildings to be constructed to withstand massive earthquakes, yet not a single nail is used in construction.

Then there's all the other things like the lacquered "Nightingale floors" where the boards are designed to squeak like nightingales when people walk over them so secret intruders have a much harder time hiding.

There's also the giant bronze Buddha statues and 5 story treasure tower pagodas that have lasted for 1,500 years to consider.
>>
>>1103423
Yeah, nah you're a weeb.

>Wow look at this amazing painted ceiling
>Well its nice but uh come on, 1608? Thats way too modern
>>
>>1103426
That's the opposite of what weeb means. Weebs are the ones who don't give a shit about actual Japan, just J-pop anime Japan.
>>
>>1103429
>I-i'm not a weeb I only care about the architecture! I don't even like Anime
>>
File: 02.jpg (961 KB, 2842x1600) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
961 KB, 2842x1600
Early this year I went to Los Roques, in Venezuela, entirely out of a good hunch after reading some reviews at Tripadvisor.

Shit was so cash. Venezuela may be a pseudo-communist hellhole of crime and poverty, but being an atoll separated from the mainland, that place doesn't carry the same problemas as the rest of the country.

The beaches are INSANELY good, the food is great, the main town is quiet and charming, and thanks to the fucked up local economy, being there was pretty damn cheap for foreign tourists.
>>
>>1103433
Are you just using weeb to mean anyone who likes anything about Japan?
>>
>>1103423
You realise comments about more famous architecture being more recently built applies even more to Japan and China right?

The pantheon isn't a ruin. Ravenna isn't a ruin. Parts of Venice predate are early medieval.

Gtfo Asian American
>>
>>1103489
I mean osaka castle is a modern reconstruction. Most famous temples in kyoto are modern reconstructions too. I.e. Past three hundred years.
>>
>>1103423

The fuck? Europe has way more extant ancient monuments than East Asia dude. It's a simple fact of the difference in using stone and marble rather than using wood.
>>
parramatta
>>
>>1103423
Weeb
>>
North Cyprus
>>
amalfi coast in italy. towns like sorrento, positano, atrani and ravello are all awesome places to visit.

fly into rome, bullet train over to naples, rental car down the coast. that's a trip you'll never forget.
>>
>>1103495
And they all look the same. Columns and arches, columns and arches.
>>
>>1103341
i'm afraid you don't understand the purpose of world heritage site
>>
>>1105347
Yes. Lincoln cathedral looks exactly like the pantheon.
>>
>>1105373
I do. They're just not all made equal.
>>
>>1101520
Best national park ive been to, beautiful area and pretty cheap too
>>
File: skog.jpg (3 MB, 3629x2420) Image search: [Google]
skog.jpg
3 MB, 3629x2420
>>1097523
>and get into some forest
It looks nice but that's really not a forest
>>
>>1100976
>>1100982
>>1100985
I live in Gothenburg and although the city itself is great, there are some places you shouldn't visit under any circumstances

I'd advice against tourists visiting Angered, Bergsjön, Backa, Biskopsgården and others. Maybe don't go to Hisingen at all since there are shootouts on a weekly basis and Arabic kids with automatic weapons and grenades and shit there.
>>
>>1096186
Kefalonia, great place to go and get lost exploring. Also cheap compared to the rest of Greece
>>
Have anyone of you guys been to Finland? I live nearby and I wonder if it is worth a visit.
>>
File: _86282338_logo976.jpg (54 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
_86282338_logo976.jpg
54 KB, 1024x576
Hull
>>
File: 20150626_120420.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150626_120420.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>1102313
BWCA is amazing. Went for the first time last year. I'd love to go back with the girlfriend and dog.
>>
File: IMG_2355.jpg (6 MB, 6902x3164) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2355.jpg
6 MB, 6902x3164
>>1096186
Utah by far... I did not expect much from Utah, but going there it was just too beautiful. I would give a favorite, I can't pick between monument valley, zion, Moab/Arches. People overlook how beautiful the US is I feel. Romanticize about Europe and never even see their own country.
>>
File: IMG_2546.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2546.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
>>1107030
This is monument valley by the way. Another that's more well known, but worth a mention, is Zion's narrow's hike. Gorgeous... life changing in all honesty
>>
Oman is just insanely underrated
>>
File: shasta.jpg (74 KB, 750x502) Image search: [Google]
shasta.jpg
74 KB, 750x502
>>1096186
Lake Shasta.
>>
>>1107297
this was my spring break spot in college

make sure you bring a boat
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2250
Otres beach, Sinakhouville Cambodia.

Although the other beaches in Sinakhohville are shit. Otres is both underpopulated and clean. Not to mention the plethora of bars lining the beach offering cheap drinks, beer and weed. Purchasing LSD and Mushrooms from choice locals also means that one can take in views like this while tripping.

Otres is still relatively unmolested. Mark my words this will change soon.
>>
>>1107381
>lsd
>in asia

kek
>>
>>1102313
I grew up in MN but am out in Boulder for grad school. I mean, the rockies are great and all..but I miss MN.
RIP Prince
>>
>>1107389
Never been to Cambodia?
>>
>>1107654
Apparently he hasn't. Sinakhouville is one of the last hippy bastions
>>
>>1102089
>Also how do I post coordinates without 4chan thinking it's spam

pastebin my good man!
>>
>>1097713
>>1099318

lived there for a year - can confirm.
>>
>>1101621
bacalhau is too fucking good man. I only went to Lisbon but I can imagine the rest of Portugal being really good.
>>
File: 1460883571131.png (387 KB, 520x463) Image search: [Google]
1460883571131.png
387 KB, 520x463
Kazakhstan
>>
File: Montenegro-passion4luxury-11.jpg (248 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Montenegro-passion4luxury-11.jpg
248 KB, 1280x800
Montenegro is an amazing country that sadly people don't know much about. It's surprising how little people know about their canyon, which is the 2nd largest in the world.
>>
taiwan.

first world country with third world prices. Has stellar natural sceneries coupled with cheap good food.

the public transportation is way even better than european transport. There are comfortable intercity buses, and High speed trains. Can rent a motorbike and travel the scenic high road.

if you're lucky, you get to bang a nice taiwanese chick. those girls make better housewives than the chinese mainlanders.

oooohhh if i have enough money i will return back to taiwan again.
>>
File: IMAG0467.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0467.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>1107920
Seconding this. Kazakhs are bro teir.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1441130447865.jpg (463 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1441130447865.jpg
463 KB, 2048x1536
>>1108362
>>
>>1107920
>>1108362
Nothing's ng better than sitting back with Kazbros and watching a triple G fight live while chugging down a few warms ones & eating that rotted goat cheese curd """delicacy"""" thing i cant pronounce
>>
File: IMAG0603.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0603.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>1108370
There are """"travelers"""" on this board right now who will never know the feeling of slav squatting under a tree all night with your Kazakh bros while knocking back a bottle of vodka and washing it down with kurt.
>>
>>1101355
Whats good about them?
>>
>>1107654
>>1107664
The guy is saying it is a research chemical, not true LSD.

As someone who has been to SEA, I am inclined to agree with him.
>>
>>1102279
Thats because steroids are legal there
>>
Prague

I go there 4 to 5 times a year to party and eat good food.
>>
>>1109230
where in prague? I only spent 2 nights visiting old town. I felt like outside of old town was just sketchy and this is coming from a person who was raised in east detroit.
>>
>>1100976
It's kind of boring though. Was there 2 weeks ago for 2 days and felt like I already saw everything.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great city to live in, but just not for tourism.

The fish church was very underwhelming
>>
File: eh_ch_emmental_2.jpg (189 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
eh_ch_emmental_2.jpg
189 KB, 800x600
Emmental Valley

There are almost no tourists (only locals)
Untouched Nature and lots Buildings from the 17/18 century

But it's really hard to get there, the locals hardly speak english, lot's of them are rednecks and not the best public transports (they don't go everywhere).
But it's (still) cheap and not a ripoff like the ususal tourist spots. Most of the spots are public accessible.
>>
>>1097713
>>1099318
>>1097713
Interesting. How prevalent is English and how far does the greenback go?
>>
>>1099164
This for sure.
I'd specifically recommend the Olympic Peninsula.

There's a gorgeous temperate rainforest called the Hoh rainforest, which abuts the Olympic mountains.

At the northern end of the peninsula is Hurricane Ridge, a stunning mountainous ridge covered with alpine meadows and views of both the glaciers in the Olympic mountains and the Pacific Ocean and Vancouver Island, Canada to the North.

The Pacific Northwest is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and I'm glad I moved up here.
>>
>>1097328
Interesting, whats it like for:
>disease?
>scamming?
>people asking for money?

These are all things you hear about why Africa can be shitty to travel in, so just wondering
>>
>>1097586
I went to Riga and didn't like it all that much... I did make-out with a Russian girl in the hostel, and I bought some amber. That's about the only two highlights. Overall I found people rather grumpy and cold. I know that's what Balts are famous for, but Jesus. Granted, I didn't find Estonia or Lithuania much better in that regard. Even the bloody Russians managed a few more smiles.
>>
Kananaskis Country in southern Alberta. Closer to Calgary than Banff, far less touristy and much less crowded.
>>
>>1097350

Any particular places in Nicaragua? I'm going there in a few months.
>>
>>1096333
Oporto
>>
>>1101521
Go north for the food, the people and the historical hidden gems
Go south for the beachs
>>
the parks around mount rushmore are more fun to visit then the mountan once you have seen it once.
>>
File: 593804.jpg (180 KB, 1024x792) Image search: [Google]
593804.jpg
180 KB, 1024x792
>>1109515
I can confirm this. Emmental is awesome and worth a visit.

I add the area around Glarus.
>Beautiful nature
>quiet and historical villages
>awesome hikes and pretty cool ski areas in the winter
>still pretty cheap and affordable for swiss prices
>some tourism but it's mostly local

It shares the same problems as Emmental, english might be an issue and the public transport is not that good.
>>
>>1099257
It's hard to beat Scania when it comes to cozy, so I'd say a road trip there.
>>
>>1107285
I've heard lots of good words about Oman, but judging from wikivoyage I can't really see what's so much better about it than like Bahrain or Kuwait. What do you like about the place?
>>
File: cuernavaca.jpg (80 KB, 950x434) Image search: [Google]
cuernavaca.jpg
80 KB, 950x434
>>1096186

Croatia if you like beaches.

I lived a couple of years in Mexico. A few places I got to enjoy were Cuernavaca, Guadalajara, Guanajuato. Cheap, like...buy a full meal for 4 people at 4USD cheap. Fantastic nightlife and friendly people.

Also, places in Canada like Gaspe and Mont tremblent,
>>
>>1112983
Not that guy, but it's better than Kuwait, I wouldn't say it's better than Bahrain, though. Oman is probably his only point of reference
Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.