[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ANY ADVICE FOR CROSS COUNTRY DRIVING i am living in Maryland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Map_of_USA_showing_state_names.png (115 KB, 1310x796) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_USA_showing_state_names.png
115 KB, 1310x796
ANY ADVICE FOR CROSS COUNTRY DRIVING i am living in Maryland and tmrw I shall be driving from Maryland to California
>>
>>1095671
Go to Tennessee. Not faggot Memphis but Eastern side to the Smoky Mountains. It's the only free National Park...well.. in the nation! Big Ridge in Union County above Knoxville has a Beautiful hike on a mountain next to a lake with some fantastic forest scenery. but gimme a sec and I'll post a map with the route I think you should take (generally) itll be a long trip though
>>
>>1095671
It'll be a long trip. Probably 3 days of driving at the minimum. If you're passing through Texas, stop at a Buc-ee's if you see one. They're pretty great. Uhh... gee I dunno. I did a comparable trip not too long ago. Georgia to Arizona. I'm not sure what advice to impart besides common sense stuff. Like if you get tired, just pull your ass over and sleep at a rest area. Keep right except to pass, etc, etc. If you don't have a AAA membership, get one. It might save your ass and you'll get discounts at most motels. Also, don't bring any drugs with you or anything illegal. There are border patrol checkpoints all over the Southwest, which occasionally have sniffing dogs. Freaked me out the first time I drove through one, because I thought I had accidentally driven into Mexico. Speaking of which, don't accidentally drive into Mexico. That would be bad.

Another thing is don't speed. Your chances of getting caught are much, much higher over nearly 3,000 miles so it's not worth it. I can't tell you how many times I saw someone fly past me only to be pulled over by a State Trooper just ten minutes down the road.

If you want a shower, you can take one at a truck stop for like $10ish. Look for Love's, Flying J, Pilot, Petro, TA. I'm sure there's more.
>>
>>1095671
It depends on which part of California and if you want to do scenic routes, touristy see the sights stuff, or just get there as quick as you can. I would say take the I-40 straight across the nation with would land you about 45 minutes NE from Los Angeles. My family has gone across there many many times. The roughest part is from Arizona to Eastern California where there is a stretch where there is 1 gas station and a weird knock-off dairy queen and literally nothing but a state penitentiary for miles. but the 40 is the most direct and you can branch off from there very easily once you hit Barstow.

But year which type of trip you taking (see list in above paragraph)?
>>
>>1095671
If you are taking a moving truck and you don't want to rent hotel rooms along the way, Walmart parking lots are your friend because they are usually 24 hours open and there will always be people which prevents crime if you aren't an idiot about where you park
>>
>>1095686
Not OP, but I'm from Georgia and am considering a road trip west (I have two week vacations pretty frequently ). I'm curious about your trip. What route did you take?
>>
>>1095700
What are bad places to park at walmart? I carcamped there once and parked far from the store and wide out in the open. Wasn't sure if that was a good choice, but I wasn't disturbed
>>
>>1095704
I drove to Atlanta, took the 20 West all the way to west Texas until it met with the 10, then took the 10 to my destination. It was a pretty boring drive, but boring suited my needs just fine. I'd imagine avoiding the Interstate and taking smaller country highways would make for a more interesting trip.
>>
File: Map.png (2 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
2 MB, 1280x800
>>1095671
>>1095673
Here you go.
1) South Carolina (especially southern South Carolina where it is a little more classy) has amazing beaches you should visit. Beautiful this time of year.
2)The Smoky Mountains are amazing. Two major tourist towns, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, and a free National Park which I personally say is the best park other than Yosemite with great hiking trails and beautiful mountains. Knoxville is good, Nashville is a little boring. The only good thing in Memphis is the Bass Pro Shops Pyramid on the West side of the town against the River on the I-40. Its the 10th tallest pyramid in the world.
3) Avoid Indiana Ohio and Illinois unless you like Abraham Lincoln or corn.
4)Visit New Orleans just for the fun of it. Corpus Christi in Texas is Beautiful but otherwise I would say get through southern Texas quickly.
5) The Gulf of Mexico is very nice in the non-BP oil spill areas or Post-Katrina regions in Mississippi ans Louisiana.
6) You can divert down to Flagstaff and go up to the Grand Canyon which is always wonderful. Go to the Federally owned park though. The Indian reserve park has horrible views and will cost you at least $300 no matter what.
7)You can divert up to Montana for beautiful Rocky Mountain postcard views but there isn't much else up there other than cows and literally nothing.
8) Oregon and Washington have beautiful forest scenery with and ever-present overcast. Interesting culture but isn't necessary to your trip.
9) Sacramento and San Francisco offer diverse cultural experiences but if you hate homosexuals, be careful.
10) Avoid downtown Los Angeles and if you do go to North Los Angeles where Hollywood and the Strip is, don't get mugged or coerced into buying things no matter what unless you are intent on it. San Bernadino area is better with the Angel's Baseball Stadium and the carnival Pier. the beaches are okayish.
11) San Diego and Oceanside are absolutely beautiful to visit but very pricey. Go to Ruby's on the pier.
>>
>>1095707
I don't know it may have just been the Walmart that we stayed at but a car got broken into that was parked at the very edge. I would say central back parking is fine but don't go to the sides. That's just my opinion of course.
>>
File: direct.png (2 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
direct.png
2 MB, 1280x800
>>1095671
But this is how you get there directly if you wanna take the fun out of it. You can either take the I-40 to Barstow if you want Southern Cali or you can take the I-80 to Sacramento and San Fran if you want Northern Cali.
>>
>>1095722
Template/base map, anon? My brother and I are planning a cross country trip starting and ending in St. Augustine.
>>
Buy a Road Atlas. They sell them at Wal Mart for like $7 (by where they sell magazines). They're a pretty large size too. It's full of maps, including city maps and such. Definitely worth having with you considering how cheap it is. It beats a GPS since you can plan a more "off the beaten path" route if you wanted too. I think it shows national parks and stuff like that too.
>>
>>1095781
Is this what you are asking for?
>>
>>1095793
Ja danke
>>
>>1095794
Bitte.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.