[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I live in Barcelona, AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: tramvia-blau-in-barcelona.jpg (98 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
tramvia-blau-in-barcelona.jpg
98 KB, 600x440
Though I'm not a spaniard I've lived most of my life in Barcelona. Apparently this place is really popular with tourists, so I thought I'll just offer some advice to any of you who plan on coming here or already are and want to know anything that isn't in your average tourist guide.

Pic related is my favourite tourist attraction (since I'm also an autistic /n/igger), a historic tram retaining it's original line from 1901 and original cars from 1906.
>>
>>1095648
Have you ever been to Primavera Sound, the music festival? I'm going this june and I'm really excited. Any advice?

[spoiler]South american whose main board for a long time was /mu/ and never really got the chance to see many of his favourite bands live[/spoiler]
>>
>>1095664
Oh shit you got me there, I'm not really much into music, so I've never been to any of those festivals. I can help you with anything around it, though I don't know much about the festival itself.
>>
>>1095664

lol, I was going to ask the exact same thing, also south american going there for the first time who used to browse /mu/

anyway, >>1095648 , are 4 days enough to do sightseeing around Barcelona? Other than Sagrada Familia, Camp Nou, beaches, Barri Gotic and Park Güell, what other things you recommend?
>>
>>1095880
>are 4 days enough to do sightseeing around Barcelona?
Depends. If you just want to see the basic tourist hotspots yes, 4 days will suffice. However there's also some lesser known things to see, including some trips outside the city which are worthwhile, so you can easily fill up to one week or 10 days if you want to see a lot of stuff.
Apart from the things you mention, if you care for architecture at all there's a lot of modernist constructions to see which are really unique, there's the famous La Pedrera and Casa Batlló buldings, both by Gaudí, and the same block where Casa Batlló is located is called the "manzana de la discordia", or block of dissention, because there's five different buildings by five famed architects. Of these, apart from Casa Batlló, at least two others can also be visited.

Then there's an ancient little amusement park called Tibidabo on the top of the hills that overlook the city. It has a couple of modern attractions, and some really old ones from the 1920s, which are still rather impressive since they take advantage of their situation on top of a hill. You can also just visit the grounds with no need to pay entry, and enjoy the view and have a drink. Right next to this amusement park is a fuckhueg church which was under construction from 1901 until 1961. It's really beautiful both on the outside and inside. Dunno if you're into looking at churches.

There's also a pathway that runs all along these hills called Carretera de les Aigües. It's completely flat (it originated as part of a water distribution system), so it's a great place to walk, run or ride a bike, away from the noise and pollution of the city, and with a great view. If you're into sports, you can rent a bike and get up there.

cont'd
>>
>>1095887
also protip: The barri gotic isn't really gothic, it was all built in the early 20th century as a tourist attraction and made to look gothic. It's still worth a visit, just keep in mind you're looking at a hundred-years-old tourist attraction and not a real medieval old town.

The beaches in the city proper are kinda shit. They're only worth it if you happen to be staying somewhere close and want to go hang out there. Especially the ones close to the city center are usually pretty crowded and dirty. If you want to go to a nice beach I recommend a day trip to Sitges, which is a little seaside village with nicer beaches. It's about 45 minutes by train from Barcelona.

another protip: don't eat out at the very touristy parts of the city, especially not paella. You'll just get some gross frozen shit. Stay away from places where they have these brand-name signs with pictures, that's all just frozen shit. If you want to eat out ALWAYS check the interwebs for recommendation, never try a random restaurant. More likely than not you'll end up in a tourist trap. Somewhat of an exception are the "chiringuitos", those little bars that are on the very beach. These are generally fine for drinks and snacks, although not very cheap (but not very expensive either).

If you want to go out at night with the locals and not the tourists forget Villa Olímpica or the old town, and go to Marina subway station, from there follow the crowds (on fridays and saturdays). Loads of bars there that don't have tourist-grade ripoff prices and great music (different bars for different tastes, you'll surely find something that suits you).

That's all that comes to mind for now. If you specify what kinds of things or activities you're interested in maybe I can give you some other recommendations.
>>
>>1095887
>>1095900

Wow! That's a lot of info, thanks a ton!

We'll be staying near Monumental Station (if that helps giving tips) and we also plan to rent a bike for these 4-5 days to move around while seeing the city (and doing some exercises of course), unfortunately during the festival days we'll be staying most of the day and night at Parc del Forum for the concerts.

We (I'm going with my girlfriend plus 6 friends) are really into architecture and historical sites (or important stuff such as Camp Nou/FC Barcelona museum), I had no idea about Barri Gotic being so new. Since we're coming from Brazil, general tips like the ones you gave are more than enough so we can do our little research before the trip.

Hopefully we'll be able to get to the hilltop one of the days, I wasn't considering that and it sounds awesome. And yes, I'm into churches specially for the architecture and historical value although I'm not religious.

One thing I'd like to ask is about the food, what would be a "traditional" Barcelona breakfast, snack or restaurant to go (that's not a ripoff preferably)?

Thanks in advance, anon.
>>
Any comment on this thread? >>1094488

Do you feel there are too many tourists in Barcelona and is it destroying the city?
>>
>>1095648
1. I've heard that Spain has the best beaches in Europe, is this true?

2. Do you have a job or are you soon to be employed?

3. What are your favorite foods?

4. Can I survive in Spain without learning Arabic first?

5. Are you a bearded 34 year old named Guzman who lives with his mom and buys cigarettes for 14 year old girls in exchange for sex?
>>
>>1095880
The fact that it sounds like you've booked your hostel already worries me. I have to do that soon.
Anyway, if you have any tips about anything, I'd appreciate it.
>>1095665
Np, thanks for the other tips.
>>
What's the general vibe in Sant Cugat like? I'm moving there soon for a work study for the year and would like to know
>>
>>1096510
I booked an apartament through AirBNB with 7 other friends. (I'm kinda worried seeing how people are reacting to AirBNB and tourists in general to be honest)

But yeah, it's high season and the festival is almost soldout (just a few tickets for the 2nd of June), so the town will be filled, get your room as soon as possible.

Tips about what exactly? The festival? Bands? What to take with you? How to get there?
>>
>>1096603
I got my thursday and friday tickets like 2 months ago, should've booked a bed then. Hopefully I'll have a good one now.

>tips
The festival, in general. Anythin you or any other festival-goer-/trv/eller think it's good to know would be appreciated.
>>
>>1096617
I think the most important thing would be taking some food and water with you and sunscreen, because stuff inside the festival are usually pretty expensive. Also take some money for merch and try to buy merch on the first day since the good stuff will be gone quickly. There is a train station near the festival site but depending when you are leaving you might wanna study another way to go back to your hotel/room.

Other than that I'd say just to do a timetable with the concerts you want to see beforehand (once they release the times) and... enjoy? Why aren't you going on Saturday? Not into Sigur Rós, PJ Harvey or Brian Wilson?

Also, obviously, using some light clothes, decent shoes since the place is huge and you'll be walking a lot, blablabla
>>
American planning on visiting soon. What's up if I want to watch a Barca game at Camp Nou? Is it possible to get tickets to a reg La Liga game there or should I book it in advance? Around how much are tickets? I should probably look this up
>>
>>1095648
Why is so much of a city a disorienting plain of octagonal blocks?
>>
File: bocadillo-de-bacon-con-queso.jpg (2 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
bocadillo-de-bacon-con-queso.jpg
2 MB, 5184x3456
>>1095900
I'm from Barna as welll and I'm unable to explain anything to visitors.. thanks man, you did it perfectly; also I didn't know the Barri Gòtic wasn't actually gòtic, apparently it was reformed totally in the 19th century

>>1095949
there is no traditional breakfast I'd say, just go to any bar and order a café con leche and a bacon cheese bocadillo (pic related)

>>1096518
it's all right, I live in the city next by and we kinda hate them since it's a town of rich people, however it has a nice monastery (was an important town during middle ages), nowadays id say it has quite a lot of high tech companies settled there.
where will you working/studying?

>>1097266
I think you can get them in the last moment if it's a shitty match, however, i think a week or some days before is enough (but ofc as I said depends on the match)
>>
1. Which is your favorite Torrente movie and why?
2. José Antonio Primo de Rivera or Francisco Franco?
3. Gibraltar is... (fill in the blank)
>>
>>1095648
Would you rent your flat to me and 3 of my friends in January 2017?
>>
>>1097266

They're super easy to get as long as they're not playing Real Madrid or Espanyol.
>>
>>1095648

Is that shitty amusement park on the hill, Tiblidado or whatever, still open?

That fucker was less safe than Action Park in Jersey.

>fucking Ferris wheel with seatbelts lifted from junked cars that went too fast and the cabs almost went parallel to the ground and would be going 10-15 mph when you tried to enter/exit
>that log ride with no restraints so you'd smash your balls or have balls smashed into you at each drop
>that fucking arm-hinge ride that I refused to get on and which 4 people died a week later when the bolt broke and sent it flying into the log ride
>that fucking cherry picker like swing basket ride that literally put you 200 feet in the air in a see through grate floor with no restraints and a 3 foot basket which almost tipped over in high winds and we were on it

Fucking most terrifying theme park experience in my life and I went to a makeshit fairground/themepark in Tijuana
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 205x149) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 205x149
>>
OP here I'm back. Thank you other anon for relieving me in my absence. I suck.

>>1097315
>1. Which is your favorite Torrente movie and why?
2>1>5>4>3. nuff said.

>2. José Antonio Primo de Rivera or Francisco Franco?
Contrary to popular belief, Primo de Rivera was pretty based. His legacy was later perverted by Franco. So Primo de Rivera all the way.

>3. Gibraltar is
British, and glad to be so. I'd be too.

>>1098328
Nope sorry.

>>1098331
top kek at this post. I've never been on the rides themselves. The plane and that swing basket rides are actually original rides from the 1920's. The park is now owned by the city, since it's not profitable, but it doesn't lose enough money to warrant its closure since many other businesses depend on it (it's at about 90-something% of covering cost of operation). The irony is that the attraction that broke down was brand spanking new, while the ones from almost a century ago have never had any serious accidents. The whole park should be converted into a museum-amusement park kek

Also bamping for more questions, I promise to not leave the thread abandoned for so long this time.
>>
>>1095962
>Do you feel there are too many tourists in Barcelona and is it destroying the city?
Ooooh, intredasting question.
Barcelona has always been a tourist city (check my other post about Barri Gotic being a fake medieval part that was built in the early 20th century as tourist attraction), and even though people complain a lot, it's what makes Barcelona one of the wealthiest cities in Spain. While others barely get by, we can even spend money on building shit.
I think the problem is just the excess of tourism. For a long time the idea was to have ever more and more tourism, and still to this day people who say that we're losing control of the situation are often told that they want to fuck up our main income. This is being said of our new mayor-ess as well (but then again, they go at her for any dumb reason since she's not part of the "establishment"). I think it's bullshit, there's obviously too much tourism and it's terribly managed. It's not about getting rid of it, just putting some limits to it, especially in the most central zones. The excessive focus on tourism has also meant that few other industries have been able to develop, and it's never a good idea to bet it all on one card. Tourism is ok, it gets us good money, and we oughtn't get rid of it, but there needs to be better control of the situation, and clearer limits as to not have a "tourism-bubble", which I believe was already in its incipient stages (and just as the construction-bubble nobody ever wants to call the quits while there's still time, and afterwards we bitch and moan and say that it's germanys fault). If we would've continued building hotels with no limit, at some point it could've all collapsed if suddenly supply exceeds demand and hotels started closing down.
TL;DR Tourism is good, but keep it within limits, and don't forget other industries. Our mayoress is on the right path. She's not perfect, but she's the best we've had in ages.
>>
How's the Eixample area?
>>
File: barceloneta-beach-9763.jpg (120 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
barceloneta-beach-9763.jpg
120 KB, 540x405
Any beaches or secluded areas in Barcelona, where we can have sex with each other/other people?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.