[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Besides Moscow and Saint-Petersburg, what are the must see places
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Besides Moscow and Saint-Petersburg, what are the must see places of Russia?
>>
File: 5_RIAN_02454740.HR.ru_1319.jpg (140 KB, 900x599) Image search: [Google]
5_RIAN_02454740.HR.ru_1319.jpg
140 KB, 900x599
Sochi is the first thing to came to mind.

I believe it was first made famous when it was frequented by the Russian monarchy for Summer holidays. And of course, more recently with the Olympics debacle. There is still some stuff to see there, most notably the new Sochi Park amusement park with its decent set of roller coasters, but overall I would rather skip it and just stick with Moscow and St. Petersburg. There is actually a better amusement park in St. Petersburg called Wonder Island (I believe it has the best roller coaster ensemble in all of Russia). As for parks in Moscow, there is the All-Russian Exhibition Centre, which has a few rides, but they are mainly carnival-type rides. The main draw there is all the former Soviet stuff on display (it used to be a permanent expo for Soviet Union achievements).
>>
>>1095408
Is there any cool nature in Russia? I heard some people liked the trans-siberian railway but I've also heard that it was just a boring train ride.
>>
>>1095526
>I heard some people liked the trans-siberian railway but I've also heard that it was just a boring train ride.

It might be interesting for you to ride in 3rd class and meet Russian people. However, you might also hate people (or at least, Russian people), especially if you get stuck with a bunch of shithead alcoholics or young army conscripts.

You might also want to ride in 1st class with a friend/partner and enjoy it in relative privacy. Either way, doing it soon would be a good idea because the ruble is very weak right now.

There are a few cool cities along the way. Moreover, there are probably very few instances when you will otherwise pass by Mongolia.

I would recommend searching for it on Youtube...This is a good series, although I wonder how much he might have planned in advance (such as the Russians he meets and parties with early on):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SaC70GoX4&list=PLpthHlECei-Uq5MdZGO9cD7Mcd6vJ02ko
>>
>>1095531
Do they have Wifi along all the trans-siberian?
>>
>>1095408
There are no must-see places other than the ones beforementioned. I'd advise to see some nature. Russian lakes,forests and mountains are definitely worth checking out. The nature is very deverse and beautiful out there, so anyone can find something for his liking.
>>
Reality check for the trans Siberian: you sit for a week on a shitty, stinky train full of drunken (literally) white trash eating bad food served by unfriendly, xenophobic people while watching an endless wall of conifers whip past the window for days on end. When you're lucky you see some fields, some little houses, and crumbling and miserable towns every so often.

No, it isn't exciting, no, it isn't life-changing, yes, it will make you realize why most of Russia is ignored by tourists and dismissed as a bleak and depressing shithole.

>>1095526
>Is there any cool nature in Russia?
Lots, especially in the Urals and in Kamchatka. It's very inaccessible, though, as the infrastructure for getting out there is absolutely terrible and it's far from eco-tourism friendly. It's doable, but expect to spend a lot of time planning and organizing (e.g.: getting guides ready, having your own GPS to plug coordiantes into, organize people with 4x4s to drop you off to begin hikes, etc) and spend a huge amount of cash.

If you really want to see boreal wilderness that's virtually identical, just as vacant, and very accessible, travel to the western USA or Canada, Alaska, Yukon, and the PNW/Rockies especially. Lapland is a good alternative if you want the cultural aspect. Even Kyrgyzstan is better than Russia for much of that stuff.

>>1095540
>Do they have Wifi along all the trans-siberian?
hahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>1095551
Alright thanks regarding Russian nature. I guess Novgorod, st petersburg, and Moscow are the only things worth seeing
>>
>>1095551
> white trash eating bad food served by unfriendly

got you there buddy. You've never been on a Russian train.

The food people eat on the train is indeed cheap, but it's not "served". They either bring it with them, or buy during the stops from hawkers.

There are indeed restaurant cars where the food is served, but virtually nobody eats there. It's not cheap and it's very bad.
>>
check out Kizhy. You can get there via a long and beautiful boat ride across two huge lakes north of St Peteresburg. (yeah those real huge ones you see on the map)

also, obligatory (Culture- wise)
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Golden_Ring

nature - there's pretty much everything, but often not easy to get to.
One really unique place is the Baikal lake.
>>
File: AJ201209090016M.jpg (63 KB, 462x375) Image search: [Google]
AJ201209090016M.jpg
63 KB, 462x375
>>1095574
>got you there buddy. You've never been on a Russian train.
What am I reading?

I lived in St. Petersburg for 2 years and have been on the TSR twice, once the full way to Vladivostok. Most trains have a dining car where meal service is available, albeit at a ripoff price, and the food is bad.

Otherwise I hope you like packaged noodles, as the samovar hot water will be your best friend. Smoked fish around Baikal is neat, as the train stops every few hours and you can get food at the stations. Otherwise, it's mostly garbage.

>The food people eat on the train is indeed cheap, but it's not "served"
Not my picture but pic related. Next time you're on the TSR, try leaving your seat for a change.
>>
>>1095788
i can smell it from here: cheap meat, alcohol and old sweat
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.