[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Travelling on your own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: solotravel.jpg (33 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
solotravel.jpg
33 KB, 640x360
Hi /trv/,

I suspect this question has been asked countless times, but I would like to hear from solo travellers, how you managed and whether you enjoyed it?

I've never travelled on my own, it was either with friends or family. I recently came back from a holiday with a friend and now itching to leave the UK and go somewhere close by (in Europe). Most of my friends are either working, or are boring cunts that don't want to travel in Europe, which leaves me by myself. I want to travel on my own (sometimes I prefer to be by myself when travelling), but does that not get boring? Is it not wierd to be travelling on your own, going to popular tourist places, sightseeing, eating out etc? Is it not dangerous to be alone in certain places? Can you make friends with people easily? What exactly do you do as a solo traveller to fully enjoy everything? Is it better to travel solo than with someone else? I would love to hear all of /trv/ views, from experienced travellers to those currently solo travelling.
>>
File: 1446605954997.jpg (10 KB, 176x184) Image search: [Google]
1446605954997.jpg
10 KB, 176x184
>>1095397
>this thread again
REEEEEEEEEE why isn't this in the sticky yet

Meeting people and making friends is easy af. Solo travel is the way to go because there's literally no strings attached, or that's how I feel about it at least.

Here's what I usually do:
stay in a hostel and take a guided walking tour they're recommending/offering, and at the end of the tour ask some people if they want to go grab a beer

voila, you've now made friends!
>>
The fact that this sounds like a stupid question merely convinces me even further that I am socially retarded; I can't even wrap my head around the idea that travel might be better with someone else.
>>
>>1095397
>Does it not get boring?
It's as exciting as you make it. You have no reason not to do precisely what you want. If you want to go to Sunny Beach and spend twelve hours sitting on the sand, you can. If you want to go hiking, you can. If you want to visit a Mongolian cattle farm, you can. If it's boring it's nobodies fault but yours but fortunately you don't have to consult anybody to change that.

>Is it not weird...?
No. Different, uncomfortable, surreal, relaxing, pleasant... You could describe it any number of ways. I don't know how you are on your own but you can change that.

>Can you make friends easily?
Of course. It's easier if you go places where English is still spoken but tourists aren't as common because they will be much more interested in you. Going to Majorca as a Brit will probably be met with indifference, but Tehran? You will be the talk of the town.

>What do you do to enjoy everything?
The things you enjoy. I know that sharing a trip is half the fun sometimes, but of you aren't enjoying what you're doing then you're doing something wrong.

Safety is too varied to comment on. Back alleys in Rio De Janeiro at 2am? Probably not a good idea. Midnight in the middle of Prague? No better or worse than any other city, just be sensible.

I can't tell you if it's better or worse because I don't know you. Going to Vegas alone would be dull, but going to a remote island in the Philippines could be quite cathartic.
>>
>>1095456
De nada, Vida es todo bien
>>
I never travelled alone until I joined the military and ended up getting sent off for classes or to some training conference about twice a year, usually halfway across the country, and usually going by myself. I've come to prefer it to travelling with family/friends for several reasons:

1. I am in complete control of my itenerary. If I don't want to go to a fucking petting zoo, I don't have to. If I want to go a little early, I don't have to wait for my lazy friend to get done with his 30-minute shower. If I wanna splurge on first class, I don't have to ask permission or fit into a trip budget or hear my friend whine about "I can't afford that, but I don't wanna sit by myself!"

2. I can fuck who I want. Not all the time, but most of the time, when i travel with family/freinds, I end up sharing a room. I usually don't bother trying to have a room to myself because i do like saving money, and the sleepover experience, along with being able to yell at my friend if he's taking too long in the shower. But I especially love having a room to myself because I can walk around butt-ass-naked, sing and dance all funny, and most importantly of all, I can bring a girl back to the room and fuck her without an audience. How often does it happen? Well, I've been to Illinois, Virginia, Florida, etc in the past year, and it's only happened once, and she left with my wallet the next morning (was a fun police report, they got her license plate number on the hotel cameras and I had my wallet back that evening)

3. Lower expectations, more jitters, and more strangers. You're nervous because you're by yourself, and this is your first time. You get to talk to lots of strangers (or you can just hang out in your room and eat pizza the whole trip, your choice). You hold the trip in your hands. And because you're so unsure of traveling alone, you're going to have low expectations. You're going to be more excited than you are when you travel with a group - (continued . . .)
>>
>>1095608
Continued....

Now, us all telling you how awesome it is to travel alone will probably raise your expectations, but I say keep them low. That feeling on the last day of the trip when you realize how many awesome people you met, how many cool things you did, and you think of all the stories you have to tell your friends back home, is tenfold when you expected to be lost and scared the whole time. It's a roller coaster, man, and you don't need no stinkin' copilot. Go out there and explore!

Reason #4 to travel alone: It's badass. You're a lone ranger riding into town. Independent, strong, with your wits about you. You know the rules, took the risks, and you're here! On your first night, when you take your first sip of whatever type of alcoholic )(or not, do whatever!) beverage you prefer, toast yourself and tell yourself that you are a badass. You are.
>>
>>1095608
>>1095610
Kinda cheesy, but I like it

Can I hear some bad experiences from you people?
>>
>>1095397

Im Turkish, been to Malta 2 years ago. Was all by myself. Had been planning on signing up for a Language School, met a few locals, talked to em and they said "Your English is perfect and fluent. Don't waste money and have fun"

Why am I telling you this? After being told that I dont need the language school, I was like "ok but everyone is meeting their social circle through their classes and I'd be left out - alone".
Decided to give it a go and see if I could meet people, socialize. If not, I was ready to sign up for a School. Met around 8 friends on my first night out (3 different groups of guys. 1 Arabic, 3 Swiss Dudes, 3 Italians, A Hungarian friend). We kept seeing each other for the next month. Partied hard, picked up chicks, smoked weed etc etc.

Travelling alone was the best decision im telling ya. Especially if you think that whether you should do it or not. It helped me improve my social skills SO much. And dude... What kind of a boring-sad-grumpy fuck one person would become if he couldnt going on a trip on his own when he is in his twenties (assuming you are young).

Do it. Good Luck!

Not that you need any tho. Travelling solo is amazing
>>
Seems like everyone who travels solo is doing for the purpose of partying, drugs, fucking...
You people are boring as fuck
>>
>>1095610
how do you handle going out by yourself? I'm afraid I'll end up alone in some bar (if no pub crawls are offered in hostel)
>>
>>1096985
You underestimate the sperg capacity of some of the people here (including myself)
>>
>>1095397

I've never taken an international trip that didn't start and stop with me getting onto or off an airplane by myself. None of my friends here in Michigan wanted to travel for months on end, but I did, so I booked my first flight overseas without a second thought. I had an absolutely amazing time, made friends in half a dozen different countries, and have been doing the same thing over and over again ever since.

I suppose it might sound cheesy or cliche, but traveling by myself has helped me better myself in a lot of ways: I've become more confident, developed my people skills, and identified my strengths and limits. Traveling alone has created a ripple effect that's spread throughout my life in so many positive ways. I'm not a perfect or amazing guy, but I've gone from being a Robot-tier man who was afraid of woman to somebody who is in a happy and successful relationship and who does well with girls whenever he happens to be single.

There's an oft-repeated mantra here and in other places: when you travel alone, you're only really alone when you want to be. I've always found that to be true. Making friends with other travelers is incredibly easy if you're staying at hostels. Even if you're not a big fan of that scene, like me, you can still meet strangers in other ways. I have scores of friends in India who I started conversations with out of nowhere, or who started conversations with me. In Bogota, I'd sit in a particular square, drink aguardiente out of a plastic bottle with a straw, and would invariably find myself going out to be taught salsa dancing by a group of girls with no catch or strings attached.

I can't think of any terrible experiences that I've had, either. The worst period of time I had over the road was right after I'd broken up with my first girlfriend, who I'd been with for about a year and a half at that time. I was in Iceland by myself, which is not the kind of place you want to be in post-breakup.
>>
The purpose of traveling is to enjoy new experiences.
If not having companions is an obstacle to this goal, then perhaps you're more concerned with being with people than traveling.
My sister and a friend were like this, and in the end having an extra friday's night every week solved it for them.

From my experience, traveling alone means you need to really know what you want to do, as opposed to leaving the decisions to be collectively decided by the group.

'oh hey i'm traveling alone, i'm gonna drop my luggage at the hotel, go see x then eat local special y, then hang around clubbig district z', and when something goes bad - 'oh well lesson learned'

vs

'um guys what do you wanna do erm let's check out this place eh what should we have err how about pizza', something goes bad 'trip's ruined but at least it's not all my fault, everyone decided to do it too'

I used to think it was 'democracy', but eventually realized people are just lazy at making decisions.
>>
>>1098673
>having an extra friday's night every week solved it for them.

what are you saying?
>>
where is best place to travel alone in Europe? Already been to budapest, prague & berlin but don't know which other cities are similar.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.