[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Amsterdam General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2
File: amsterdam.jpg (194 KB, 1280x700) Image search: [Google]
amsterdam.jpg
194 KB, 1280x700
im going to Amsterdam on friday, any tips?
>bars
>general tourism shit
>im a faggot
>>
Take the train to Utrecht
>>
There's too many tourist restaurants that serve shit. So prepare your dinner plans on Tripadvisor. Try Castel for some meat, Phutakun for Thai for example. Source: I live there.
>>
>>1095354
wouldn't you recommende some traditional food ?
I mean, go to Amsterdam to eat thai ? come on.
>>
>>1095366
what? do you think that people WHO LIVE IN AMSTERDAM eat only dutch food nonstop? if you want good, more upscale cuisine that's not overran by tourists, it's almost always going to be international
>>
>>1095352
Not OP but what's there to do in Utrecht? I've been in the surrounding area of the central station once for about an hour and it seemed very depressing.
>>
>>1095366
>traditional food ?
If you want to gorge yourself on potatoes and fish go right ahead.
>>
>>1095366
you want traditional dutch cuisine? it doesn't get mutch better then this, also reasonable prices, but there's a catch.
It's not that excesible using public transportation, and quit the distance from amsterdam.
>>
>>1095425
forgot the link. too lazy to google again. it's called "de Vuursche Boer"
>>
OP here, thanks for the respones. I went out to some bars last night and there weren't any responses then so
>>
>>1095366
I see your point. You should eat Indonesian in Amsterdam, not Thai.
>>
>>1095554

Very true. But just to clarify: I recommended that specific restaurant, because most other Thai is tourist crap as well. But Indonesian yes, I back that up.

And Utrecht: just Google some photos. It's beautiful Holland and with very few tourists.
>>
>>1095570
isn't utrecht centraal closed now or something? i vaguely remember seeing such signs at amsterdam cs earlier this week.
>>
File: 1429448466659.jpg (96 KB, 887x629) Image search: [Google]
1429448466659.jpg
96 KB, 887x629
Any good resturants in the city? cant drive to the outskirts anyway
>>
>>1095290

Go to a street called the Reguliersdwarsstraat for fag bars.
You might be annoyed by all the heteros encroaching on homo territory.

Walk around in the west of the center and an area called the Jordaan. See Google Maps.

Eat Indonesian and Surinam food. The rest is shit.
>>
>>1095387
Who doesn't?
>>
>>1095290
Is your name Peter by any chance?
>>
>>1096092
No, its not sorry

how come
>>
>>1096478
I just know a guy going there this friday as well, that's it
>>
>>1096479
hahah, well.

I was there last summer, lived near the Vondelpark
>>
>>1095290
Take the train to Rotterdam
>>
>>1095386
On Utrecht there's a fair bit. Domtoren and the church, there's a few good museums (Centraal Museum, Catharijneconvent, Rietveld Schroder House, Sonnenborgh), and a few canny places to eat and drink.

Walking along the Oudegracht and in town on a sunny evening is great. Miss the place, and probably my favourite city in the Netherlands.

Also if you want to go the general tourism stuff in Amsterdam, if you're planning on going to the Van Gogh museum, go at night instead of the day if there's a late opening. Beat the queues.
>>
>>1095354
there are a few touristy streets that sell average pasta and pizza for €5 each. good if you're on a budget
>>
>>1097186
I thought Rotterdam was richfagland.

If you feel like a coffee shop, I liked my evening The Bulldog (not the one in the red light district)

Also, go to the Rijksmuseum. Neat stuff
>>
>>1098161
Rotterdam is an industrial city to me.
Richfagland is more like Den Haag or Leiden.
>>
fucking faggot
>>
there is some pussy to be had if you go to dulongstraat
just google it you thoughtless moron
>>
>>1098179
>Dulongstraat
>literally a residential side street
>ok, bro.
>>
>21 and 19 hour layovers in Amsterdam
What should I do besides visit the Rijksmuseum and fuck a hooker?

Is the Hermitage satellite museum worth visiting?
>>
>>1098311
Ride a bike through vondelpark, you giant tool bag. Go to a concert. Go to a nice restaurant. Van gogh museum, Anne Frank house, canal boat tour, buy mushrooms and lose your mind, fuck
>>
>>1098444
>Anne Frank House
Thanks, I forgot about that in my post but I did try to get online tickets yesterday. However, they are not available that far out yet.

I don't want to spend too much money/don't care about a concert or restaurant, but a canal tour is a good idea. Still wondering about the Hermitage desu.
>>
>>1098177
Rotterdam is a bit more businessy/industrial. Some good areas though, the Witte de With Kwartier is interesting and there's a few decent museums. Quite nice to chill and have a beer overlooking the Oude Haven at night. Went to see an Excelsior match and walked there, Kralingen's a cool area especially with the big park.

Handy to get to places as well from there, Delft (about twelve minutes from Rotterdam Centraal) is worth visiting for the day. Some cool museums there.

>>1098459
I went to the Hermitage Museum and it was alright, decent enough. I like museums so when I went to Amsterdam I went to pretty much most of them.

Keen to go over again at some point but I feel like I've seen enough of the Netherlands at the moment so looking to go somewhere else this year.
>>
Tips on trying magic mushroom or other smart shop goods?
>>
>>1098766
Get the trip stopper stuff in case you freak out.
>>
>>1095352
Dutch hipster spotted.
>>
Lived 6 months in Amsterdam, quite a great city, with of course some tourist traps to avoid.

>bars :
Beer Tasting Room Arendsnes, If you like to discover some good beers, it's a great place
Alto Jazz Cafe, went twice. the bar is shit but the live bands are great.
Whiskycafe L&B, best whiskey bar i've ever seen. Great atmosphere, world class scotch.

>weed
420 Café, very tourist but their weed is fucking great. I recommand the Kush.
Katsu, in the south of the city, around some really nice areas. perfect to cxhill 30min after visiting some stuff.

>Museums
Just pick one according to your taste. Avoid the rijksmuseum, it's expensive as fuck, and not worth the British Museum or Le Louvre.

>food
It's kinda hard to find some good Dutch food, and you will mostly fall into touristic shit if you stay in the city center.
Try to move a bit.
Here is some good restaurants i remember :
Lalibela, ethiopian food. Cheap, original and tasty.
Golem, a Belgian Inn. Close to Dutch food.
Restaurant Korea, beacause Korean BBQ is my favorite kind of food.
>>
>>1098766
Avoid mushrooms if you are not to them. You will end up wasted.
>>
I stayed in Amsterdam for a couple of weeks and visited many other cities from there; for day trips I'd recommend Zaanse Schans, The Hague, Haarlem and Leiden (in that order); don't bother with Rotterdam, 's-Hertogenbosch, Utrecht, Delft they're all shit tier.

I also visited Aachen, Cologne and Antwerp from Amsterdam, they're further away but are all worth it
>>
>>1098977
Maastricht was really good as well
>>
What's the most characteristic Dutch city?
>>
>>1098982
Leiden
>>
>>1096027

Seconded on the Surinam food. Best I had on my trip there. Also ate at an "Italian" place owned by Turks that was actually really fucking good. As for Dutch food, I think the only thing I had was the herring broodje, which is suprisingly good when hungover.
>>
>>1098982
Amsterdam?!?!??????
>>
>>1099067
Definitely not
>>
>>1098311
Can people buy pot edibles in Amsterdam? If so get one for your next flight and eat it before you go through security
>>
>>1098946
yes you will be tripping balls if you have never done such stuff before. better stay at your appartment or room, being outside was just too overwhelming for me. an awesome experience though, i can recommend it
>>
>>1098982
Casablanca
>>
>>1099770
You could even just smoke a joint in the smokers area in Schiphol and then go through security right after. Will set you up nicely.
>>
are you guys honestly talking about food in an Amsterdam thread?
Where's the best weed? what are the best coffee shops?
going to be in Amsterdam next week and what i eat wouldn't really matter cause everything's going to be real tasty for me
>>
>>1098945
>Avoid the rijksmuseum, it's expensive as fuck

expensive? Just how much of a poorfag are you?
>>
>>1095290
I'll do this for years and years to come in threads about amsterdam:

This city is overrated.
>>
>>1098161
Rotterdam has the best weed, so does Den Haag and Utrecht. They all do, except for Touristerdam.
>>
>>1099923
>DUDE WEED LMAO
Go be underage somewhere else.
>>
>>1099923

Well, you could make the attempt to explore Amsterdam, one of Europe's greatest cultural treasure houses.

Or you could just hang around the city's tiny sleazy area, smoking weed and gawping at hookers like all the other sweaty, drunken foreign tourists do.

Choice is yours!
>>
>>1099923

Good food is better than good weed, kid.
>>
Can anyone recommend a boat service to go around the canals for an hour or two?

I will be alone in Amsterdam on a layover, if that makes a difference.
>>
Just came back from Amsterdam. Not a great time as I think we went about it all wrong, but a wonderful experience nonetheless. It's an amazing city. A different world than what I would be used to.
>>
>>1095290
I recognise that place
The river froze over when I went and everyone was walking and skating on the ice
It was pretty cool

Also don't be a total edgy fag and only go to Amsterdam for the weed. Amsterdam is a beautiful place and spending your time out instead of absolutely fucking stoned allows you to actually appreciate the trip.
>>
>>1095290

>warning: a lot of BS up in this thread

Amsterdam is just one of those cities to wander around for a bit, see the Dam square, flower market, etc.

Standard tourist experience:
>Rijksmuseum
>Boat tour of the canals
>Oude kerk (the Old Church)
>Get a drink at Leidsche square or Rembrandt square

Inside tips from a local:
>up in the Kalvertoren shopping centre is a nice lunchroom with a view of the city
>At the Spui square there is an old wooden chappel door, behind it is the secluded Begijnhof church, that's cute
>For food, I like de Waag at Nieuwmarkt, it's not cheap though
>Take the free ferry to Amsterdam Noord
>If the weather's nice, hang out at Vondelpark with the locals
>Amsterdam has a LOT of culture, so whatever you're into, there might be an event or venue to your liking
>from April to Oktober there is a special ferry that goes to Nieuwendam from central station (pier 14), have a drink at Cafe 't Sluisje
>if the weather's nice, it's nice to bike along the coast north of Amsterdam, take the train to Alkmaar (the best Indonesian restaurant I've been to is here as well), rent a bike, and go toward Schoorl, Bergen
>Amsterdam isn't completely safe, don't stray outside of the centre late at night
>Places to see from Amsterdam: Holland has some nice beach towns (Bloemendaal, Zandvoort, I like Wijk aan Zee), Zaanse schans is a tourist trap, maybe Haarlem since it's close, most other cities (Rotterdam, the Hague, etc.) aren't worth it as a foreign tourist imho
>If you have time, Antwerp (Belgium) is two hours by train

I'm new to /trv and normally don't do this, so hope it helps, have fun

Source: Dutch native local since four years
>>
>>1101969
I think they all offer very similar tours, I've been with a few, last time I took Kooij located at Rokin close to Dam square
You might like a good stroll around the centre more, don't know if it's worth your dosh
An umbrella guided walking tour (some are even free I think) from Dam square may be more interesting

Source: same guy as above
>>
Went a few weeks ago on my own; I've never taken drugs and I don't drink alcohol but I decided try a space cake

I ate a full one in one go, I was surprised at how nice it tasted; I felt nothing for an hour, went to my hotel, lay on my bed and then as I stood up to go for a piss it hit me like brick to the face

My palms and feet became really sweaty, I was freaking out a bit; I got to the toilet but I couldn't unlock the door in the bathroom and was stuck in there for a bit; I got back out lay in bed feeling paranoid as fuck thinking other people in the hotel were outside my room listening to me and trying to get in my room. I honestly wanted to go to a hospital it was a nightmare

Fortunately a buddy of mine rang me which calmed me down and I just started laughing and facetiming with him; then I just watched some capeshit films on my laptop which was crazy, I'm sure I was hallucinating and loads of other weird stuff hard to describe like things feeling different when I touched them

Are these type of feelings normal? I was surprise how potent it was, I think I would die if I tried any stronger drugs
>>
>>1102343

>no tolerance to THC
>eats edible in one go
>edible made with quality Amsterdam cannabis

Yep sounds like ingesting that THC got you high.
>>
>>1102343
Man you are not alone, the amount of people that want to try and weed and decide to have an edible instead of a pre-rolled is unreal. Then they end up tripping out and are a fucking mess. I had to help a fella who fell into the canal at 2am who had taken a space cake.
>>
>>1102343
Now I am hesitant to try a space cake desu.
>>
>>1102343

>go to amsterdam
>spend entire time in hotel room high as balls

you can do that at home and its a lot cheaper/you don't have to travel
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.