[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>oh yeah I went to [location] >the people there are the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 1411626024028.gif (982 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1411626024028.gif
982 KB, 320x287
>oh yeah I went to [location]
>the people there are the nicest you'll ever meet!

When will this meme end?
>>
>>1093341
The same day people start believing that peruvian guides fucked their now
wife.
>>
It's nice. People meet foreigners and hey! They're people too, not so bad, generally pretty alright actually! Not like on the news at all.

Yeah, there's this thing going on where the people they meet tend to be service staff who are actually paid to be pleasant, but I think it points to an underlying fact that people are alright. No need to be quite so cynical.
>>
>>1093341
>When will this meme end?

When folks stop being so gosh darned nice anon.
>>
I find in general people are nice, they have to prove it otherwise in order for me to think badly of them.

i'm not naive you niggas are just too fucking cynical. If you approach with good intention/politeness you will receive nice things back.
>>
>>1093346
>h-he was just helping her bro
>*sits down and cries*
>>
Where's that cartoon of the traveler becoming more racist after traveling...
>>
Locals living in tourism spots usually depend of the tourists for their livehood, either directly or indirectly, so logically they behave extra nice to them.
>>
I went to Cuba and the people were dicks for the most part. Others who traveled there ware only saying good things but 90% of my interaction with Cubans was them trying to get money out of me.

This is a meme indeed.
>>
>>1093552
This is the opposite of how it works. People are smart enough to tell the difference between a hotel concierge and someone on the street. People in tourist towns turn into assholes. Source: my hometown sees >2 million tourists every summer, and I'm an asshole to them all.
>>
>>1093608
90% of your interaction was with 1% of Cubans.
>>
>>1093628
Exactly, I wouldn't blame every Cuban for this, but this is the experience I got and the one I took back home. I wasn't in tourist resorts, I spent 2 weeks traveling around the island, which would have more likely put me closer to normal people.
>>
That's not what a meme is you doofus. People say it because it's true. That's how they felt. Certain countries like when people visit their country. They want to show their country in a good light.
>Real traveller: "yea but if you've lived in that country for awhile you'd know they don't want you there"
So, what? Just like if I have a guest at my house I'd treat him well so he leaves with a good impression. But I wouldn't want people sleeping in my house.
>>
>>1093705
>doofus

Come on now, buddy, there's no need for name calling...
>>
Thats the issue with this positivist society. Everything is great. Every city is great and worth going to. People in any place are the friendliest ever. Every movie is grear/epic. All food is so delicious.

I'm not saying the world needs to be negative about everything like 4chan, but without the ability to criticize things or point out flaws, then there is no meaning in anything.
>>
Who cares how the people are? If I am in X location I am 99% of the time there to look at some historical structure/natural wonder/market I dont really care how the people act.
>>
>>1093626
this, I'm generally a nice guy, but I fucking hate tourists who come to my city and I'd like to kick them all in the shins
>>
File: Sigh.jpg (28 KB, 400x363) Image search: [Google]
Sigh.jpg
28 KB, 400x363
>>1093626
Venetian here. I fucking hate Russians. Chinese get a pass because they're such gullible idiots. Europeans are mostly OK, but there's still too many of all of them. If there were some kind of quota where everyone would pay €100 for a 2-day or 3-day permit, the city would receive far less tourists, it would be less of a dump and it would be a city again instead of the decrepit mausoleum it is now.

In Italy we Venetians are known for trying to rip off everyone and for being unfriendly. Both are true. You would be exactly the same if you lived here.
>>
>>1093846
Still nice if you do not have to deal with the rude, pushy assholes who try to milk all the money they can out of tourists.

More of a problem in some places than others though.
>>
>>1093626
Yeah this is what I've noticed in my travels. People in tourist towns are indifferent, people off the tourist track are nice. Especially where they aren't used to white people, because you're a novelty.
>>
>>1093846
>Who cares how the people are?
Because they are a part of the country, countries history and literally define the country.
Historical structures and the market all are intertwined with the people. Even the natural wonder at some superficial way is also. And than again even if what I said is false, who doesn't want nice happy people at their vacation spot instead of assholes?
>>
>>1093896
Yes but they bring lots of money to your city. Maybe you're not getting it directly but indirectly some of it trickles down to you.
>>1093980
Move out of Venice? And are the Chinese really gullible or just really nice? It think there is a thin line between the two.
>>
>>1094071
>Move out of Venice
But this is my city. Born here, grew up here, went to university here. Currently working in a pretty successful travel agency. This is MY turf, not the tourists'. Make no mistake, more and more people are leaving it, there's a pharmacy near the Rialto that shows how many people are living full-time in Venice, and the number has been dropping for +-50 years. If the supermarket near my apartment closes, I might leave myself because moving is not quite as easy as in other cities.

And the Chinese are the naivest tourists around at the moment. My colleagues tell me they're like the Russians just after the end of the USSR: they've finally got some money, they're finally free to leave their country and they come over here without knowing _anything_. The tour guides are experienced, of course, but once I've had three or four Chinese tourists ask me at what time Venice closes. I laughed, but it's sad, really.
>>
>>1094105
>This is MY turf, not the tourists
Some things are not in your hands. What's the most you can do? Be an asshole to the tourists? They're brining in money to your place. And seems as if your government doesn't give a fuck about you.
>what time Venice closes
That's really not that surprising. There are lots of people who live in very open countries who really have no clue outside of there country. Heck I really don't much about a lot of places. But than again you might more experiences with them.
>>
>>1094071
>le trickle down

Eh, it's not like I'm from Venice like the other guy.
I will admit though, that the influx of tourists also helps a lot with the multiculturalisation, Although, this again is a double edged sword.
For every tasty foreign restaurant and fun SA dance event, there's an imported romanian gypsy beggar and a drunken brit.

Still want to kick the tourists in the shin though, especially italians and chinks.
>>
>>1094123
>trickle down
I really didn't want to use that. But a meme is a meme. Tourists help even countries who don't like foreigners living in their country. It makes them see and understand other cultures without their culture getting ruined.
>>
>>1093846
Because part of the reason I'm there is to interact with locals, and hopefully smash.
>>
I live in a touristy city (Cambridge, England).

Streets here are medieval and narrow. Tourists walk them in huge packs and make it impossible for locals who have shit like work to get to, to move at any normal speed.

They push out local business in high desired areas in favour of chain service industry franchises.

Luckily it is mostly in the summer.

Without tourists there would be no difference in the economy of this city - the vast majority of it is from the technology and scientific research sectors.
>>
>>1093545
You do know the actual cartoon is his becoming less racist. Side note, Americans are like the only third country kids that tend to be more racist when they grow up abroad
>>
>>1094162
I mispoke, American Adult third culture kids tend to be more prejudiced, not racist

>American ATCKs reported significantly higher levels of prejudice than non-American ATCKs on the Cognitive subscale of the QDI and the Social Dominance Orientation scale (SDO)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_culture_kid#Challenges

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0147176712000971?via%3Dihub
>>
File: 1458620313175.jpg (83 KB, 710x519) Image search: [Google]
1458620313175.jpg
83 KB, 710x519
>>1093346
>>1093373
>she was all refreshed and happy
>>
>>1093341
Nobody will ever say that about New England, Japan, Quebec, Eastern Europe, Russia or the Middle East though.

It's pretty much something dumb white travelers say when they leave their suburb and cant believe the forced encounters they had with brown people didnt turn out to be so bad.
>>
>>1094190
>Quebec
>not painfully friendly

Obviously you didn't make an effort to speak their language. Pro tip for travel, bro, learn the basics and people will become instantly warmer. If you show up to Catalan and start speaking Spanish to people, you'll also get a cold shoulder.
>>
>>1093834
So much this.

Take my (YOU)
>>
>>1094190
This isn't true, all it takes is the slightest of differences.

I'm a poor man's brownman (a slav) and brits are constantly impressed over how "nice" I am.
>>
>>1093834
>>1094226
anons that's not what positivism is. that's just being positive. they're different.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.