[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, Do any Americans here have experience travelling to Canada
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Hello,
Do any Americans here have experience travelling to Canada without a passport? Some friends and I planned a weekend up, but I didn't realize my passport card had expired. From everything I've read online, travelling into Canada as a US citizen only requires a birth certificate and photo ID, although I will bring as many documents as I can possibly find.
However, I can't find an easy answer on returning to America, and what documents are required to do so. I really don't want to get stranded at the border.
>>
>>1093338
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/canada.html
It's all listed there. Are you driving or flying? It makes a difference.
>>
>>1093342
I'm driving. So from the sounds of that link, I can get into Canada, but not return. Is that seriously right? That's insane.
>>
>>1093350
drove up in October (through Michigan)
getting into Canada they searched the entire car, coming back into the states they just let us through, no problems.
It would be a really, really good idea to have a passport tho
>>
>>1093338

What?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/us-citizens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:Crossing.The.Border.html

It's been common knowledge for a long time that a birth certificate no longer suffices to cross from the United States into Canada and then back again. You need to have a passport, passport card, or enhanced driver license, which is why the latter program was enacted in the first place.
>>
>>1093380
Was that with or without a passport?
>>1093381
That's what I assumed at first, but apparently a good proportion of people have gotten through without one with only minor inconvenience, and there is almost no way for me to get me passport card renewed in time. Honestly, if I had the time, I would totally just pay the money and get a passport card.
>>
>>1093400
With.
>>
>>1093403
Awesome. I think I'm just gonna try going into Canada on my expired passport. Worst case scenario I'll go to the American consulate and get an emergency passport before returning.
>>
If you're traveling with a bunch of friends (i.e. a group of 20 somethings) they are going to be dicks to you and you are not going to get into Canada with an expired passport. I don't even know why you'd run the risk and ruin the trip for all your friends.
>>
>>1093691
Yeah, you're right. I set up an appointment to get an expedited passport from the Boston Passport Agency. There's no sense in messing up everyone's plans.
>>
I live in Michigan, and have an Enhanced Driver's License. I've never once had a problem driving into or out of Canada with only my license.
>>
>>1094152
That's because you have an enhanced license! The only purpose of which is to eliminate the need for a passport!
>>
You used to be able to cross without a passport. you just need another form of id. Drivers would do.
>>
>>1093380
>getting into Canada they searched the entire car, coming back into the states they just let us through, no problems.
same exact thing with me, except i came in through vermont. i wonder why that is. it was a funny experience though because my friends and i brought a huge double sided dildo in the car as a joke and border patrol had a good laugh at that.
>>
>>1094152
I wish MA offered this service ;_;
>>
>>1094193
Someone who worked for the border agency said they have a daily profile of age and gender of people to target. So one day they'll go hard after women in their 20s, another time men in their 50s.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.