[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Morocco
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
Any of you guys been to Morocco? Whats it like
>>
Arid.
>>
I've been eight times; can answer any actual questions you have.
>>
>>1093278
Dude you start this same thread every goddamn week.
>>
>>1093278
I actually liked it a lot. It's a very visual country. Only problems were the very insisting people at touristy spots and the fact that non-muslims are not allowed inside mosques
>>
>save up money
>get a passport
>book air fare
>go experience it for yourself
Not much else I can tell you. You can't understand what a whole country is like just from a single thread on a Chinese cartoon imageboard. Do you have any specific questions?
>>
>>1093603
>non-muslims are not allowed inside mosques
Only at prayer times. Non-muslims can go inside almost any mosque in the world.
>>
>>1093615
Not in Morocco.
>>
File: 1445560544017.jpg (73 KB, 543x549) Image search: [Google]
1445560544017.jpg
73 KB, 543x549
>>1093615
>>1093618
How would they even know that you're Muslim or non-Muslim?
>>
>>1093624
secret muslim handshake
>>
>>1093624
Being a well-shaved 6ft3 blonde with a camera might be a giveaway.

Besides, this >>1093631
>>
>>1093618
I'm not gonna just say "no ur wrong", but I've been inside plenty of Moroccan mosques, including the super-sacred one in Meknes. What was your experience?
>>
File: IMG_0965.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0965.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>1093769
Pic related.
>>
File: FDm7k.jpg (88 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
FDm7k.jpg
88 KB, 500x322
>>1093631
I guess I'll let you know our secret handshake. The challenge is "As-salamu alaykum." The proper response is "Wa-Alaikum-us-Salaam." Then it is customary to sacrifice a small lamb to let them know you're legit. Congratulations, now you can go anywhere.
>>
>>1093778
Get on this guy's level:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Francis_Burton#First_explorations_and_journey_to_Mecca_.281851.E2.80.9353.29
>including undergoing the Muslim tradition of circumcision to further lower the risk of being discovered
>>
>>1093782
Jesus, and I thought that time I snuck into a Buddhist temple wearing a tanktop was cheeky.
>>
>>1093769
>>1093770
I'm not gonna say "no ur wrong" either, but I went to pic related as well, and it's Moulay Ismail tomb, which is opened to tourists. The mosque part of the complex isn't.

It hasn't changed since 1912 and a decision made at the time of the french protectorate : http://www.independnews.com/silenzi/marocco-accesso-alle-moschee-proibito-ai-non-musulmani/?lang=en

An exception is Hassan II mosque in Casablanca.
>>
>>1093604
>criticizing someone for asking a general question about a country on a travel board
Every country has a few concise things that jump out about it. Chill out.
>>
>>1093603
It is true non-Muslims are not allowed inside by law, but as long as you are not in any of the tourist hot spots, local people will be only too happy to take you.

When I was out in the countryside I just walked inside one cause I needed a piss, no one looked at me twice
>>
Can I get by in Fes 90 days for 3k. I am not doing any touristy stuff like the sahara or any tours. I will only be staying in Fes. is 3k doable? only need a bed and a desk for writing
>>
>>1094173
Yeah, easy. A cheap hotel is only 10 euro per night, so you could stay at a much nicer riad, or get an apartment.
What are you doing, just taking time off to write? Sounds fun. You can pretend to be Paul Bowles.
>>
in morocco right now.
spent 3 days in marrakech, 2 of which were filled with work stuff.
went to jemaa el fna on my day off. bought a djellaba, super fucking comfy. dude was claiming its tricolor pattern represents being made from 3 different animals: white from sheep, beige from dromedary, black from goat. whatevs, comfy as fuck.
this morning hired a car (wanted a small car, booked a small car, they tried giving me a goddamn peugeot 508, nope.jpg, complained & got a brand new fiat punto with 6km on the clock) enjoyed zipping around marrakech for a few hours, then rolled south to asni for lunch in saturday souk (huge hectic market, not like jemaa el fna, only one day per week, kinda rural, few tourists) then continued on into the atlas mountains.
spent this afternoon hiking out of imlil, looking at snowy toubkal trying to hide in the wispy clouds, took a living fuckton of photos. pic related.
many people here are very friendly, about 1 in 4 is genuinely helpful without trying to angle for something in return. may take some calibration for people to get used to that in particular. the honestly generous people are incredible though, inspire me to be more considerate about how i carry myself in society.
planning to spend tomorrow hiking a bit more around here, then drive back to marrakech for a final day of haggling for presents for the family etc, then fly back home.
will definitely be coming back to this country.
/blog
anyanon wanna ask me something about my experiences here so far?
>>
File: brother of toubkal.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
brother of toubkal.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>1095234
sorry, wrong pic. actually turns out i don't have a decent photo of toubkal itself. mission for tomorrow.
>>
>>1095234
How much did you pay for the jellaba? As an /out/ist I'm always after wool. I'm highly skeptical when they say the material is something exotic, but like you say, whatevs. Apparently my leather jacket from Fes is the hide of a thoroughbred camel. Sounds good to me.

Is Imlil a nice place? Good scenery on drive up from Asni? I haven't spent much time in Toubkal national park because like you say, a lot of people are phonies. This ends pretty much as soon as you step outside the park boundaries. But I'll conquer Toubkal one of these days.
>>
>>1093311
Why did you went there 8 times ? It must be something special and i am curious
>>
>>1093278
went on vacation with the wife, she's chubby and has dark hair.
In Marrakech, while sight seeing out side, (it's hot so she's wearing tank top), some one threw a knife at her feet and shout something.
the guide told us she was mistaken for a local Muslim girl, and that person was angry because of her clothes.
>>
>>1095315
Because people treat you like shit in the cities, but everywhere else, every day you get food, shelter, help, and a lot of Facebook invites. Morocco is how life should be. I can't imagine knocking on a random door in my hometown and asking for a drink of water.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.