[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
handle bars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Buying a 590L Nomad for an expedition ride. Planning on travelling for over a year. I've read reviews about what handle bars people use ie, bbb multibar to the salsa wood chipper. Does anyone have any experience with either bar?
I'm not going to buy a flat bar.
>>
>>1092662
another option that is worth considering is the Jones Loop bar, kind of a flat bar but with way more versatility. Provides a nice backsweep for an upright all day riding position and also and extension for when reducing wind resistance is necessary. Also lots of options for hand placement to reduce shoulder and arm fatigue. Can we also make this a BTG (bike travel general).

Ive just started university for the year and have spent the last 3 hours watching round the world trips on youtube and just want to drop out and fuck off, pls give me inspo guys

ps. did about 5000ks of touring on standard drops last year and theres really nothing wrong with them, a timeless design to say the least, however i did at times feel like a bit of sweep in the drops provided by a bar like the salsa cowbell would have been nice
>>
>>1092662
also thats a really nice bike, are you going full on and getting it rohloff equipped
>>
>>1092662
You probably want butterfly bars or something similar. They're good for resting on while you ride.

A Nomad thorn is nice, you need to cut that stem though before you face plant on it. It's also not going to be cool when trying to tuck in a head wind.

I just use flat bars with bar ends but I don't ride more than 20km in a single leg so it's not a big deal for me. I'm just touring with a folding city bike and take trains.
>>
>>1092673

>watching round the world trips on youtube

Yeah man been doing the same, I'm currently just doing up a shitty mountain bike with front and rear panniers just to get out there and get the confidence up.

Put uni on hold and go for it dude, I'll be getting back to study when I get back from my journey. I just feel this massive pull to get out there and explore.

>>1092674

Yes, I'm going the whole hog, self sustainable for a year haha. Can you explain Rohloff?
>>
>>1092680

I was looking at butterflys today actually, the reviews seemed positive but the only drawback was the narrow grip whilst on decents, I have a downhill back ground and from that experience I want wide grip especially with the load I'll be carrying, I was thinking at least 600mm wide.
>>
>>1092673

>touring on standard drops

Not to keen on the drops, never used them to be honest. I have a dodgy lower back and I'm thinking that rolled over position would put unnecessary pressure on it. Is that the case?
>>
>>1092705
>Yes, I'm going the whole hog, self sustainable for a year haha. Can you explain Rohloff?
You'll get much better information in >>>/n/ where this sort of thread is very common. Look for a touring thread or start one.

A Rohloff is a top-of-the-line IGH (internal gear hub). It gets rid of the rear dérailleur. Combined with something similar on the front and you can get rid of dérailleurs completely which is lowers maintenance and reduces the number of things that can go wrong on the road.

IGHs need almost no maintenance, just a bit of oil now and then.

A Nomad Thorn or Surley Long Haul Trucker combined with a Rohloff is the /n/ meme touring bike.

Rohloffs are more or less an /n/ meme but they are actually really good, just quite expensive. Generally, if you're getting one then you need a frame that is built for it but I think there are adapters. The Nomad Thorn comes is either IGH compatible or has an IGH variant, I forget which. The frame needs an extra eye or two at the rear dropouts to bolt the IGH too, there are adapters but they're considered a bit suspect because of the forces involved.

>>1092709
>narrow grip whilst on decents
Butterfly bars have a very wide range of grip positions, there'll be something there for you. If not, you can always bolt on bar ends or hoods or something.

>>1092712
>dodgy lower back
If you keep your back straight enough, drops can be comfortable because it can take pressure off your lower back...you need to keep your spine pretty straight and not hunched though. In general, I wouldn't expect tourers to do much riding on the drops, most people ride in the hoods.
>>
>>1092720

Is a IGH compatible with a dynamo?

>Butterfly bars have a very wide range of grip positions

I understand that, but from the pictures I looked at, the setup had the brakes basically 200mm to 300mm apart.
>>
>>1092662
>>>/n/
>>
>>1092712
If your ridding a dedicated touring back the stack height of the headtube and fork should put the bars so there in a position where the level or sometimes even higher than than the seat, this means riding on the flats/tops your not too bent over but if you ever come up against a strong wind you can get down in the drops and fill at least a little bit more aero. Plus there is tons of positions to rest your hands
>>
>>1092705
I reckon i might try at least stick out 1 year, im still young and it would be good to figure out if im at least in a degree worth doing/ that im going to enjoy, plus i have no money

A rohloff hub i an internally geared hub, good for travelling in one sense as they require very little maintenance and are are much less likely to get damaged than a flimsy derailleur, however they are quite expensive and near impossible to fix if something does go wrong, which in all honesty probably wont happen, ever
>>
>>1092735
Usually your dynamo hub will be in the front wheel while your IGH hub will be in the back wheels, making for a very expensive set of wheels
>>
>>1092735
>Is a IGH compatible with a dynamo
If it's a rim dynamo then yes but you don't want that on a touring bike with an IGH, do what >>1092836 says and get a dynamo hub on the front wheel.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.