[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Texas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: 1457907188773.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
1457907188773.gif
2 MB, 230x250
Britbong in Houston. First time in US. What do/see/eat? Should I buy Kevlar?
>>
>>1092512
>Britbong in Houston. First time in US. What do/see/eat? Should I buy Kevlar?
Locals own cars. Rent a car. It's really the only way around Houston safely (and comfortably in the heat). It's a huge sprawling city, with the kind of violent crime that kills you for your Rolex. You avoid that by not being on foot, ever.

Buy some authentic, or even better, some custom cowboy boots to last you a lifetime, such as:
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/04/11/best-cowboy-boot-stores-in-houston/
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/opinion/rocky-carroll-texas-legendary-boot-maker/article_ce9885f2-ce05-5ba4-81d0-255caf368fb8.html
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/01/politics/presidential-cowboy-boots/

Dine at the top 10 bbq brisket joints, hear live music, cajun food, mexican food. There will be a lot of choices, go for the oldest, and highest rated, something that will be in business on your next visit.
http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/5-houston-area-barbecue-joints-top-texas-monthly-list-of-50-best-bbq-spots-6439375
There's a brennan's sister restaurant now, and you'll want to have boudin as well as some beinets. Right now is the BEGINNING of peak crawfish season, so have a 3lb platter with some Shiner beer, or a Tito's vodka.
>>
About an hour southeast of Houston (listen to this guy: >>1092523 and rent a car) is Galveston, which is on a little island on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. It's one of the oldest cities in the state and has several things that would interest tourists. They have the old part of town called the Strand, which has tons of restaurants and bars housed in old brick buildings.

They also have the recently-opened Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier, and their one steel coaster is legit. It's run by Landry's which runs several restaurant chains including Rainforest Cafe and Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.

They also have a unique, intriguing attraction: an oil rig parked just a few yards away from the water's edge called the Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum. You can get to it and look inside via a pedestrian bridge.

Ghost tours are also very popular in Galveston. It's supposedly haunted by pirates, wounded Civil War soldiers, and victims from the 1900 Hurricane, the deadliest natural disaster in US history.
>>
>>1092530
Great info from this anon. I haven't been in a couple of decades, sounds like it's got more to do! OP don't be afraid of the dark sand, that's what it looks like from the mud from the Mississippi. It gets prettier the more towards Destin.

And on the way, op might wanna check out the Johnson Space center which is halfway the distance from Houston to Galveston.

Johnson was mission control, if I recall, and I think due to weather, half the shuttles landed in TX, not Florida.
http://spacecenter.org/visitor-information/
>>
File: 1458428803283.gif (2 MB, 320x178) Image search: [Google]
1458428803283.gif
2 MB, 320x178
Op here; cheers lads I have wheels sorted already. I heard the food can be good but massive portion sizes. Fine for me, I have hollow legs but the missis can't buffet for shit.

Also how much will the boots set me back? I would rather a hat desu. Also what are rodeos like?
>>
Desu = desu
>autocorrect
>>
>>1092569
its a wordfilter t.b.h turns into desu
>>
Yeah. Long time lurker but I rarely post.
>>
File: 20160325_075616.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160325_075616.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>1092512
>Houston

You picked the wrong city, M8
>>
>>1092512
Find a taco truck. Mexican food is great everywhere in Houston but taco trucks are the best imo (albeit greasy). Or try Les Givrals on Milam St for banh mi. Cool bars around Montrose. And some new ones in downtown like Little Dipper. La Carafe in downtown is pretty great. Cash bar in the oldest building in downtown. Old timey cash register and ghost candles instead of lights. Good place to go with a lady.
>>
>>1094897
Also Houston isn't really dangerous unless you're a total pussy. Stay out of second ward and you'll be fine
>>
File: 1401920364143.jpg (155 KB, 703x551) Image search: [Google]
1401920364143.jpg
155 KB, 703x551
>>1092512

>>1092523 has the right idea about renting a car.
>Cowboy boots
Eh, that's sort of a Texas meme, it'd make a good souvenir though.
>You avoid that by not being on foot, ever.
Avoid walking in midtown, stay out of SouthEast Houston (for the most part, should be fine during daytime), avoid 2nd and 3rd ward like the plague.
If you want to go shooting there are some good ranges to the North and West.
Downtown is fairly nice and there are a good number of bars, midtown is good too, but certain parts are a bit sketchy. The Galleria area has some nice shops, and the River Oaks and Rice Village area are nice and pretty safe.
I live SouthEast of downtown, but the only things I can recommend are a couple Mexican places like El Jardin, Taqueria Mexico, Don Carlos, and El Tiempo (though I'm pretty sure there's another El Tiempo in a nicer place in town). Also if you want good Asian I'd try the Belaire area.

>>1092568
The rodeo is just a cowboy-themed fair for the most part, the livestock show is pretty entertaining though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.