[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prague!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
I spontaneously booked a trip to Prague for four days next month. I'm 18 and it's my first time traveling completely alone, but I have some experience being in foreign cities due to football matches.

What are the must-sees?
Where are the best parties locals go to?
Which are the best spots for sightseeing and street photography?
Are the people open-minded and hospitable? I also think about couchsurfing there for the first time.

Also, general Prague/Czech Republic thread
>>
>>1092493
I'm going in December. Can't wait. I've heard the museum of communism is cool.
>>
>>1092653
What did you hear about it? Sounds interesting, but I could imagine it being very similar to the DDR museum in Berlin.
>>
There's plenty to do in Prague. I was there for about 5-6 days and saw a hockey game (hockey is HUGE is the Czech Republic), visited Charles Bridge, Prage Castle, St Vitus Cathedral (which is gorgeous, pic related), Karlstejn Castle (not IN Prague but well within day trip distance), saw a movie (in English and subbed in Czech which seems common), saw a play, went to Pruhonice Park (a huge and very scenic park very close to Prague), did a walking tour that included a trip to a cold war bunker and gave some history on the Prague Spring and Czech's eventual independance. That was even before going out most nights.

Now I had the advantage of staying with and being shown around by a local but there's plenty you can organise to do by yourself. I'd definitely recommend doing the walking tour and getting some of the history of the city and seeing some of the tourist stuff like the Astronomical Clock and the Castle.

Most people in Prague itself spoke English but once we ventured out of the city for day trips it got a lot less English speaking so be aware of that.

A very obvious piece of advice but Czech doesn't use the Euro, it's Czech Coruna (Crowns).

While a lot of Czech beers and pilsners have made their way to foreign shores, the favourite of every Czech guy I know is one that hasn't made it out of the country to my knowledge and that is Radaghast. It is the sponsor of the Czech Extraliga (their hockey league) so if you go to a game it is easy to find.

If you go in December then there are stalls all around the main part of the city (around Wenceslas Square) selling mulled wine and a delicious kind of ring donut/pastry thing called Trdlo.
>>
>>1093242
Wow, thank you for your comprehensive respond! Those are a bunch of very interesting things to see and to do that I didn't know of. I'm afraid of choosing only a few of the things you've done, because I only have four days..

But i'll make sure to drink one or the other Radegast than! Which clubs did you go to and which of them would you recommend?

And again, thank you for your valuable tips!
>>
>>1093300

You'll be surprised how many of those things you can do each day.

A few more tips that spring to mind; the public transport is pretty darned good but it is all prepaid so get a travel pass in advance. Worth getting one for the buses and the underground (metro).

Food wise, Goulash is amazing, Svickova is very nice and basically just order anything that comes with dumplings.

I didn't go to any clubs per se but Brutal Panda was a nice relaxed bar we went too. Really chilled out kind of place.
>>
>>1093306
>You'll be surprised how many of those things you can do each day.
This guy knows what he's talking about. A lot of people only do 2-3 days, so you have a bonus day. It's a pretty compact little city. St. Vitus takes a whole day to really get through, if that helps you budget your time, and you can do the clock in the evenings, incl the climb. I second getting anything with dumplings, they're amazingly different from restaurant to restaurant. Slivovice apricot is yummy.

I suggest that you visit Lobkowicz palace which had an amazing collection, and dine at least once in an old traditional food restaurant.
>>
>>1093306
>>1093345
Thank you guys! I'm going to make a list of things to do. I didn't expect to do so many things in such a short time. Seems like I have to eat out a couple of times.

Would you rather go partying and sleep off or get up early to see everything important? Are foreigners welcome in Czech clubs?
>>
>>1093499

There's enough to do that I wouldn't want to waste more than 1 day hung over. You can always go for one night out and just have a few beers the rest of the time. Generally the younger generation of Czechs seem very happy to meet new people and especially to practice their English.
>>
>>1093538
Ok I'm gonna have this in mind. Maybe I'll just go partying the last night I'm there and then sleep in the bus home
>>
buming
>>
>>1092493
go over the river to escape the tourist area. go to holesovice, dejvice. go to meetfactory. and check out art galleries.
>>
i stayed in prague for a month about 3 months ago and it was the greatest experience of my life. The best city I've ever been to. Great parties, great people, beautiful, well-kept city. There's nothing like it.
>>
>>1094420
Please, anon, tell me where to go in terms of partying!
>>
Look through old town. Be sure to check out St. Vitus Cathedral and Charles Bridge. After looking at churches, swing on over to Hot Peppers, it's a great strip club with no cover charge. I went their with my Catholic school trip group on Easter last year. Try Pilsner Urquell too. Delicious beer
>>
Going here in the summer time. Is it worth to stay for 2 or more days?
>>
>>1093306
>Goulash is amazing
This is public-school-lunch tier.
>>
>>1094492
>Catholic school trip group
>strip club with no cover charge

You're the man
>>
I'm thinking about going here for my first solo vacation ever and I plan on doing it on the cheap. I'm not going to skip cool stuff, I just don't plan on eating at restaurants much and I'd prefer to stay in hostels. Would 12 days be too long? I'm a fun sociable person and kind of a drunk to be completely honest, so I won't end up lonely or homesick.
>>
>>1092493

Go to Cross Club.
>>
>>1095734
Bookmarked! Thank you.
>>
>>1092493

When in April?

25 year old British male with 21 year old Lithuanian cutie pie travelling there in April.

Would be up for hanging out with anyone at night to get crunk.
>>
>>1094471
Go to zizkov district. There's a certain bar there where you can buy weed at the counter and smoke it while buying a beer. Not telling you the name for obvious reasons, but I bet you could find it
>>
>>1096744
From 26/04 to 30/04

>>1096835
Thank you, noted!
>>
>>1094550
I was there for four days a couple of years ago, and I certainly didn't have enough time to see everything I wanted to see.
>>
stay in Sir Tobeys hostel, it was very affordable and they had some amazing staff and residents there.

the entire basement bar is extremely relaxed, and it was one of my favorite hostels to stay at in Europe.
>>
>>1092653
>I'm going in December
What? People book trips that far out in advance? The earliest I've booked a trip was maybe a month and a half in advance for a long haul international trip and in the end I still paid less than everyone I had talked to.
>>
>>1096952
Sounds good, but what did you pay per night? I'd like to pay no more than 15€/night

>>1096996
I don't understand it either. Here is Germany it's quite common to book flights like a year before or so.
>>
>>1096945
Jesus, not that anon but I did the exact same as you, just booked 4 days on a whim and I'm really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately I'm there the week after in may. I'll be watching Is thread intently
>>
>>1097906
Too bad. I booked one of Flixbus' special offers, whereby I only pay 20€ for Hamburg->Prague and back. I just couldn't resist.
>>
dont feel like reading through the replies, but there is a pub crawl you can find from most hostels that is very worth it for meeting new people and for the price.
Also, for food, you need to visit Blatnichka. Amazing homemade Czech food
>>
>>1098043
Thank you! Blatnichka looks good.
>>
>>1092493
>I also think about couchsurfing there for the first time.
Might not be a nice couch. Most of the hotels are pretty 1 star, as well. Its come a long way in 10 years, but it's still not my pick for first time couchsurfing, unless you find a bored expat.
>>
>>1098096
Ok.. than I probably just book via airbnb
>>
If you'te interested in bars, I can recommend Reduta, Lucerna and Agharta (or Agartha, idk anymore). They played really nice music there the last time I went to Prague (I'm into Blues and Jazz a lot). Other than that, you might wanna check out the Wenceslas Square.
>>
>>1098186
Looks good! I'll note that down
>>
I'd recommend you to go to Charles Bridge early morning or later in the evening, so you avoid the crowds. Also you should go to Petrin hill, you can see the whole city in front of you from there, and then go to Prague castle from the hill, there is a beautiful monastery on the way and also Loreta church and many less known palaces.

If it's warm you can borrow a little "boat" just for yourself and spend some time just chilling on it on Vltava river. It is great, you see a lot of the main tourist attractions from the river this way.

Also just spend some time just going through the little streets in old town and jewish quarter.
>>
>>1093242
>favourite is Radaghast

lol ok let me correct you, it is named Radegast and it is definitely not the favourite beer here at all. Pilsner Urquell is the most famous/favourite one

do not take taxis, most taxi drivers are thieves if they see youre not Czech the price will be like 5-10 times what should be, fuck them
>>
>>1098322
What actually is the motivation to go on a famous bridge? I myself like to see the bridge from a pov where it can develop it's true "character". But thank you for the advice, I'm gonna google around about your tips a little!
>>
>>1098363
Okay thanks for your advice!
>>
Well you can see a lot of the city around you from the bridge. Also there bridge itself is interesting, there is over 20 statues on the bridge and also there is a tower at the each end of the bridge, which was for guarding the bridge.

But definitely go there either early or late in the day, otherwise the crowds kind of ruin the atmosphere of the place.
>>
>>1098563
Sounds good. Thank you
>>
Hey guys, I'm >>1097371

I was wondering, if I get out from airport, are taxis trustworthy? Is Uber widely available?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.