[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll make this a double thread because /trv/ is such a slow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 9011879.jpg (42 KB, 618x360) Image search: [Google]
9011879.jpg
42 KB, 618x360
I'll make this a double thread because /trv/ is such a slow board and I don't need to make two.

1. How do you guys find the money to travel?

I just finished paying off my car. Now I'm paying off my school loans. Next I'll probably get lasik eye surgery. Then maybe my teeth straightened. etc.

I want to travel real bad, but I keep finding higher priorities.

2. Traveling alone. Who here does it? What kind of mindset do you need to enjoy yourself?
>>
>1. How do you guys find the money to travel?
I work in retail and earn between A$900-1200 a fortnight. Around this time last year, I opened a savings account dedicated just for travel, and chucked in A$200 every payday, leaving me with a comfortable amount of cash* to spend on necessities** and other things. Sometimes I will put in more than $200, even up to $500, and now accumulated around A$7000 for travel. (I recently lost shifts at work because I'm only a casual employee, and I still want to be able to put in as much as I can for travel because I leave in about 4 months)

My advice is open up a savings account solely for travel, put in X amount of money*** from each paycheck, and DO NOT ever touch that money. Don't even think it's yours anymore, think of it as Future You's money.

>2. Traveling alone. Who here does it? What kind of mindset do you need to enjoy yourself?
I've somewhat done it 4 years ago. Did a Eurotrip with TopDeck before, but then about a week or so of solo time in London and Paris. Being a very reserved and introverted type, it was a bit hard, but staying at hostels help, especially if you meet like-minded travelers as well. It can be a bit lonely wandering around by yourself at times, but you can get through that by just being amazed with new things/cultures/experiences.

I will be going solo again for my next time, but hope to enjoy myself even more this time; adapt and mingle better in social situations.

*I grew up in a third world country, so I can cope better with not having many luxuries that westerners are used to here.
**I live with my aunt, so rent is much cheaper, which helps a lot. To all students/young people living with family, I would suggest saving as much as you can while rent is cheap/free.
***The more value you assign to X, the faster you reach your travel goals or the more allowance you have to spend. I regret not putting more in earlier last year when I had more money.
>>
>>1091992
Do you *really* need a car? Can't you get around using public transport and/or cycling and/or walking instead?

School loans... well, fair enough, they do need to get paid.

Laser eye surgery: How impaired is your vision? Does it stop you from doing your tasks that you need to get done? Does it cause you constant, unbearable physical discomfort?

Straightening your teeth: how fucked are your teeth? Does it stop you from eating? Does it cause you constant, unbearable physical discomfort? Does it scare off every living creature you encounter?

I suppose there are just two ways I look at saving:
1. Stuff I want to spend on for a nice, comfortable, secure, repetitive life as another functioning normal member of society
2. To have different and unique experiences in different parts of the world, create memories and connections with things and people you can't find back home
>>
I have like 800€ per month.
Living for my own costs me atm like 550€ per month, including flat,internet, party etc. I don't have a car so I can save enough money for travel. I need a maximum of 3000€ for a "luxury" 4 month travel, starting with 1k, when I'm flying somewhere.
Well,but keep in mind: I'm not saving for anything else , like a house or something - only travel and a little bit of extra like new clothes and stuff.
Never got into debt at first place
>>
File: max stirner.jpg (14 KB, 214x283) Image search: [Google]
max stirner.jpg
14 KB, 214x283
>>1091992
>I want to travel real bad, but I keep finding higher priorities.

There's your problem.
I took the bus for years. When my dad bought a new car and gave me his old one, I lived in it.

My teeth are still fucked up. My school debts continue to grow ever larger.

Remember the Law of Travel: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

The only loophole is military which I cannot into because very poor health.
>>
>>1091992
>I just finished paying off my car.
Unless this was needed for your job/to obtain a job, probably should of bought a car cash. I hope this wasn't a "new" car. Always buy 1-2 years old as new. And, now you need to keep this car a minimum of 5 years more.
>Now I'm paying off my school loans.
Go ahead and park those with the low interest rate and think about building savings instead.
>Next I'll probably get lasik eye surgery.
It won't last. 4k of temporary, but high risk vanity.
>Then maybe my teeth straightened. etc.
This is because you grew up poor. This may seem like vanity, but it's the big equalizer in the workplace, dating pool, everything. It's also money well spent because proper alignment aids dental hygiene, keeping your teeth and gums healthier, and avoiding future problems. While you have said braces, you should be drug free, avoid staining foods, and be meticulous with dental care, from flossing, soaking your invisaligns in peroxide mouthwashes, and putting up with a lot of tension and pain in the jaw. Might need a few massages. Since it can be financed, I'd suggest if you can't afford it and your expenses each month both? Then you are living beyond your means. Get a roommate, since you seem to be single. Living frugally a couple of years with the aggravation of another person, in order to build your savings or spend more freely. In fact, find a flight attendant as a roommate, and hope for some buddy passes.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.