[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chicago! Chicago! It's a hell of a town!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: chitown.jpg (807 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
chitown.jpg
807 KB, 1920x1200
In Chi-town for the St. Patty's day parade, looking for stuff to do for the rest of the week.

>What is there to do?
What are some must do things in this city?

>Best places to eat?
In particular, the best places to get a hotdog (best hotdogs in the world here fuck me) and Italian Beef, also smoked fish and general fine dining?
>>
File: loop.png (1 MB, 1150x535) Image search: [Google]
loop.png
1 MB, 1150x535
>Art institute
>360 Chicago at Hancock building, wait at sears tower is too long.
>Buckingham fountain
>Cultural center in downtown has some good information
>Walk around some of the cooler neighborhoods in the city like Hyde Park, Wicker Park, Logan Sqaure, Old Town, etc.
>Ride the el around downtown at least once.
>Do some architectural tours around the city, make sure you check out the mag mile, just be careful here, lots of beggars.
>Lakefront Trail (rent a bike)
>Riverwalk
>Navy Pier
>Garfield Park Conservatory (just be careful getting there, Garfield Park is murder central.)
>Check out whats going on in one of the theaters downtown.
>Stroll down 79th street at 1am on a Friday night :^)
I really don't know much about food stuff though.
>>
>>1092065
Where do I want to avoid if I want to steer clear of beggars/crime?
>>
>>1092303
The Southside. If you stay downtown or north you will be fine. I've been downtown at questionable hours of the night and have never had any problems
>>
>>1092303
note that beggars on the #1 pedestrian avenue in the city and crime are 2 different things. just ignore beggars. don't even glance or bother, srs. it's fucked up but just don't engage. crime, avoid the south and west sides. hyde park is 100% fine though, if you wanted to go south/check out the university or something. beautiful spot, but not a lot to do besides walk around and look at shit. in 5-10 years its gonna be fuckin dope, but for now, hyde park is still kinda boring in many senses.

fine dining? how fine are you trying to go? Avec is really good but a small loud space and you'll probably have to sit next to someone, alinea is world class but you probably don't have the dress code with you if you just came to get wasted in wrigleyville, the publican has a lot of good meat and so does green street smoked meats.

the other anon that green texted shit is pretty much spot on for standard tourist shit.
>>
File: chicago tourist map.png (313 KB, 594x671) Image search: [Google]
chicago tourist map.png
313 KB, 594x671
>>1092305
eh, the south loop can be kinda sketch

>>1092303
as for beggars they are pretty much everywhere, especially at the train stops and where tourists congregate (like the mag mile and millennium park). Some can be kind of aggressive as well.

Also just made pic related.
>Green- good tier, exercise normal caution
>Yellow- worried-tier, normally okay during daytime, exercise heightened caution and don't be here after dark
>Red- RIP-tier
>>
>>1092309
map = scared white people tier, but probably approximates how one should act as a tourist
>>
>>1092309
Where on the map is the Amtrak station? Chicago is my layover on the way to SanFran.
>>
>>1092309
>as for beggars they are pretty much everywhere, especially at the train stops and where tourists congregate (like the mag mile and millennium park). Some can be kind of aggressive as well.
Jesus Christ don't you burgers have vagrancy laws? Why do the cops just let dregs wander about harassing citizens?

Anyway what's the correct way to handle these people?
>>
i live in uptown, its pretty nice up on the north side. even most people who have asked me for money have been nice about it. if you can tell they arent crazy and have good intentions, then it aint bad to atleast exchange a few words with em, theyre still human. but def avoid the crazy/angry ones.
>>
>>1092342
mean to reply to >>1092329

honestly if you arent clueless or an autist or both, youll be fine with them. i been asked for change a buncha times and if theyre not crazy/angry i normally just say "sorry, aint got no change on me"
>>
>>1092329
The city tried to ban it, including a few other cities but apparently yelling at someone for not giving you any money is protected under the first amendment for some reason.

>>1092327
Union Station is just west of the river. You should be a-ok.
>>
>>1092329
>whats the correct way to handle these people

It really isnt that big a deal, just dont say anything and walk past them assertively with your eyes trained ahead like you know where youre going.
>>
if you're interested in the architechture, i'd suggest taking a guided boat trip through the city. You see pretty much all the buildings and the guides were nice and knew alot about their history etc.
the one we took started near the bridge under trump tower
>>
So, I'm from Kansas. Twenty five, I work in brokerage and logistics. I love to travel. Been to Chicago twice now, once with my brother, and most recently alone.

First time I went, had a shitty hotel out by O'hare, took the train everywhere, just did touristy things, nothing exciting. I went to the Hancock center, navy pier, things like that. Short weekend, but it was entertaining. One of the best parts was Giordano's pizza, highly recommended.

September 2015 I went up, stayed in the Getaway Hostel, up near Linciln Park, very nice area, not too far from anything, but very residential and non touristy. Going alone to a big city and staying with a bunch of strangers is a very eye opening experience. I met people from all over the world. I still talk to a canadian dude and this australian chick i met. But it was a complete advenure. We went out, went to local bars, had great food. I also ended up going to RiotFest, which was very cool too.

I feel that traveling to Chicago really comes down to location, and your game plan. Look into everything, but don't go with an itinerary.

Food: Giordano's.
Bar: Tin Lizzie
Hostel: Getaway
>>
>>1092452
don't go to tin lizzie, it will be filled with suicidal michigan st fags at the moment haha
>>
>>1092329
>Anyway what's the correct way to handle these people?
Don't engage in conversation, prolonged contact whatsoever, walk on. If you feel followed, pop into a store (or hotel even better), and use the other exit, or change direction/cross the street.

If you feel like your personality can't avoid them without conflict, carry some quarters or bills in a front pocket and drop a single one in their cup without engaging, and walk on briskly. Think of them as smart gypsies, with friends watching, even texting each other with your photo. You don't want them to tip each other off or spend any time sizing you up, and you really shouldn't support a habit of begging. It's like being an enabler for alcoholism or something else vile.

How do you dress? Good news, just got home from the St. Pattys parade, and the weather was such that you wear your belongings under your coat or jacket. Don't be an easy target by walking with it buttoned and being aware at all times. I stayed at the Palmer House, saw a bum every block, and pretty aggressive ones up State St, Wabash, Michigan, pretty much everywhere downtown. I was photographed, asked if I needed help WTF, and other nonsense. Just keep going. Feel free to use taxis as you go west, they're cheap.

I highly recommend buying a $20 drink/snack/dessert at the Signature Room top of the John Hancock Bldg in the evenings when the museums are closed. Taxi should be $7 to/from your hotel. If you do the museums, buy the city pass, or fast pass online, as it can save a 45min line at the door of each.

Downtown has all the famous chicago restaurants and bars of note cept Portillos hot dogs. Al's beef, Lou Malnati's/ pizanos/giordanos, Gibsons Steakhouse (and others). The Walnut Room top of Macys is an offseason historic thing (former Marshall Fields is worth a peek) Berghoffs, esp at happy hour is amazing (liquor license #1) A few "soul" food finds. Trust yelp, thrillist, eater lists.
>>
>>1092492
>Don't engage in conversation, prolonged contact whatsoever, walk on. If you feel followed, pop into a store (or hotel even better), and use the other exit, or change direction/cross the street.
Alright thanks. In Europe the accepted way of dealing with gypsies is to ignore them and then loudly yell "FUCK OFF" if they persist.

Then again they're not really a problem in Ireland as we tend to tune them up if they make a nuisance of themselves.

>>1092492
>Think of them as smart gypsies, with friends watching, even texting each other with your photo. You don't want them to tip each other off or spend any time sizing you up, and you really shouldn't support a habit of begging. It's like being an enabler for alcoholism or something else vile.
You don't have to sell me on this. If you're homeless in a welfare state like the U.S. you're doing something seriously wrong and are in all likelihood a right piece of shit.

>even texting each other with your photo
>I was photographed, asked if I needed help WTF, and other nonsense. Just keep going.
Why the fuck do they photograph you? Also am I expected to respond to a beggar with a camera phone with anything other than a middle finger and "Fuck off and sell your damn phone if you're so broke."

Like seriously where are your fucking police?

Now I'm curious: which cities in the U.S. have the most obnoxious homeless? I'm also stopping in SanFran, Seattle, Albuquerque, Orlando, and Miami.

What am I in for?
>>
>>1092613
>Like seriously where are your fucking police?
They're busy with post 911 important stuff. You'll notice police are dressed like iraq in horribly uncomfortable kevlar vests and too much gear. They're doing a shit job every day and should be commended for not retiring the moment they hit 20years. I know all over the country good guys have been doing just that, leaving the force in droves, ever since Obama and the other organizers stirred it all up post-ferguson. It's bad now. Chicago is nicknamed Chi-raq, from the sheer numbers of murders.

You won't find the homeless a problem anywhere, really. You will maybe see more of them in Miami, as homeless are snowbirds too, until the snow is gone, and then they make their way back to the northeast once the deadly freezes are over. Just /ignore.
>>
Frankly, after the reading the news over the last couple of years, I just assume the whole blighted city is a festering shithole that is to be avoided at all cost. Being surrounded by filthy, braindead pseudo-Liberals isn't worth "the best hot dog you've ever tasted," especially not when some fat old queer is going to argue with me regarding my choice in condiments.
>>
>>1092613
>which cities in the U.S. have the most obnoxious homeless? I'm also stopping in SanFran, Seattle
Absolute tip top kek. SanFran and Seattle are the homeless capitals of North America.
>>
File: american culture.jpg (38 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
american culture.jpg
38 KB, 640x360
>>1092645
>Frankly, after the reading the news over the last couple of years, I just assume the whole blighted city is a festering shithole that is to be avoided at all cost
Spot the boomer.

>Being surrounded by filthy, braindead pseudo-Liberals isn't worth "the best hot dog you've ever tasted,"
hurrrr libruls. Why don't you visit your conservative bastions in the south? They're much bigger shitholes than anywhere in Chicago. Pic related
>>
>>1092645
Chicago really is the only place that does hotdogs justice.

>Ketchup on a hotdog
>ISHIGGYDIGGY
>>
>>1092645
Is Chicago a liberal city? You'd think it would be swinging right, what with being overrun with dindus.

Now that's what I call cuck'd.
>>
>>1092452
>giordanos
>tin lizzie

Underage ban

If you want real deep diah go to Pequod's OP. If youre gonna go to a chain at least go to Lou Malnati's. Other good reataurants: Bento Box, Coast Sushi, Opart Thai, Paladar.

In terms of bars, Map Room is a legendary beer bar, i suggest going in the daytime. Danny's is a tiny neighborhood dive dance club that plays the best music ever. Best Intentions is another great bar.
>>
>>1092664
Chicago is full of people who claim to be liberal, but at the end of the day they just vote for the most mainstream democrats who whore them out to corporate interests and never actually pursue real progressive policy.
>>
Check this place out, OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oHCAYX8-Iw
>>
>>1092663
Those garbage hotdogs are the only regional food I've ever had that I thought was disgusting.
>>
>>1092438
Eh, I just moved to Chicago in January and have found straight up ignoring them to be the only time some of them will bother you.
>I don't carry cash
is far more effective
>>
>>1092636
>Being proud of the Chicago police
The only people more corrupt than the government officials in IL/Chicago are the police. What kinda police force has a black site that they take people to torture them?
>>
>>1092613
>Why the fuck do they photograph you? Also am I expected to respond to a beggar with a camera phone with anything other than a middle finger and "Fuck off and sell your damn phone if you're so broke."
They don't, that guy is a dumbass. I grew up in Chicago/lived there for 30 years. Just ignore them, they're not that coordinated/threatening. Cops are everywhere downtown. Don't be afraid of homeless/beggars, they're harmless; just smelly and annoying.
>>
>>1092746
I'm not afraid of them, I'm afraid of defending myself from them in the libtard police state this country has become.
>>
>>1092719
you are a bizarre man
>>
>>1092452
Do not listen to this man. Giordano's is the shittiest deep dish pizza you can buy. This is the ranking:

1.Pequod's
2.Lou Malnatis
3.Uno's/Duo's
4.A bag of dogshit
5.Giordano's
>>
>>1092719
You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how shit it is.
>>
im from chicago and i always eat krispy kreme, white castle, culvers, portillos aureillos lou malnatis beggars pizza
>>
>>1092721
im glad i moved out of chicago, horrible roads and niggers everywhere
>>
I will be moving to Chicago to attend UChicago next September and I have no idea where to live.

I'm a poor little white boy who likes safety, cleanliness, and being near the university and downtown areas. I'll definitely be taking transit rather than driving. I like "hip"/"vibrant" areas a bit, but it's not a vital necessity for me to be near thousands of hipster boutique shops or anything.

Can anyone recommend some resources? I'd really appreciate it. I'm googling in fits and spurts but having trouble totalising a completely strange city.
My range for rent I'm hoping will be something like 900-1200? I have no idea though.
>>
>>1092722
>What kinda police force has a black site that they take people to torture them?
All of them. Grow up.
>>
>>1093326
>poor little white boy who likes safety
Well, you won't get that in a city. Why did you think you would? You need money to buy into a nice neighborhood. When you want to rent lower than the price that crackheads can afford, those are your neighbors. This is why schools have dorms, for this exact reason.
>>
>>1093334
>Well, you won't get that in a city.
>When you want to rent lower than the price that crackheads can afford,
Well, I'm admittedly coming from a notoriously safe city, but it's generally ranked about 150% as expensive as Chicago rent- and living cost-wise, paying $1100/mo for a very nice one-bedroom, in a very safe and trendy area. I'm smart enough to know I can't just translate that to an identical but cheaper apartment in Chicago, but I am kind of wondering what the situation is like.

Dorms are a no-go for me unfortunately.

You'd really consider $1000/mo crackhead tier? Tons of websites are telling me that fairly gentrified neighbourhoods average around $1000. Not that that necessarily means anything.
>>
>>1093326
>>1093337
I own a building near campus. The whole area is a shit hole.

If you want to live in a hipster/trendy neighborhood you have to go north. There are a lot of cheap places around Chinatown, it's probably the closest you'll find that sort of vibe, that or Pilsen. The cheap places there might be a bit too 'authentic' if you want some hipster place.

If you want to get really trendy then Wicker Park, Logan Square, and Bucktown are your best bet. If budget is an issue, in any of these neighborhoods, you can usually just go a block outside in any direction to get some cheap, gritty housing.

The area around UIC is a good middle ground but you might be fighting a little harder for a good place to stay due to all the college kids.

For $1k a month you can definitely find a nice place. If you are new to the area I'd suggest you get a place with a roommate though.
>>
>>1093337
$1000/month is enough for decent housing. The question for you will be whether you want to live in Hyde Park near U of C, or somewhere north and have to commute to school. I pay $735 in Lakeview and have an amazing, massive apartment in a safe neighborhood (but I also have 3 roommates). Like another anon suggested, having roommates helps, but for $1000 up here I could have a decent single bedroom.

>>1092664
Are you serious? Maybe liberal isn't the right word, but Chicago is always VERY democratic. Chicago metro makes IL a blue state every election (the rest of the state is a lot more republican, but the majority of IL population is all in Chicago metro area).
>>
>>1093326
are you coming here as an undergrad? current UChicago 4th year here.

if so, Hyde Park is mostly clean and very safe. if you're an undergrad you'll be living in the dorms 1 year at least. for years beyond that, 900-1200 will get you a nice fucking place in HP. I pay under 600 and the apartment is recently redone, everyone who comes over says its the nicest apt they've seen in hyde park. the university has carved out a space for students on the south side, believe me. their wealth and influence is a force to be reckoned with
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.