[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monasteries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_2016-03-17-22-03-35.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-17-22-03-35.png
1 MB, 1280x720
I'm planning on giving up everything and leaving for a Buddhist monastery somewhere in Asia. I have nothing to lose but the only thing I can offer them in return for my staying is my artistic skills, is it worth it? Also, post any experiences you might have of monasteries.
>>
You will be incomprehensible to the monks and they wont really except you if you're not they're type of buddhist. Like... Western Buddhism ("Oh man I am so into meditation and zen and weeabooery/koreabooery and japanese food so zen is like the perfect religon for me") is different from Asian Buddhism(" Have the Theravadas and Mahayanas convert to Zen or die! ").
It's not all Zen/Dalai Lama sexual fantasies and Sushi
>>
>>1091896
I've taken some meditation and dhamma courses at monasteries in Thailand, including two that are very well acquainted with foreign students (Wat Pa Nanachat, in Ubon Ratchathani, in the Northeast, which is aimed entirely at foreigners [name means international forest monastery], and Wat Suan Mokkh, down south), and one that is less so (a local temple in Mae Rim, outside of Chiang Mai--this one was not conducted in English). I found them worthwhile. But these were courses; I paid for them.

Wat Pah Nanachat accepts foreign novices and teaches them using some English (there's also a lot of silence, some Thai, some German, and a lot of chanting in Pāli). But they're not going to accept you just because you want to run away from something; they'll expect you to be a serious student of Buddhism. If you show up knowing nothing and just saying 'let me live here,' they'll turn you away.

Thai Buddhism is the species I know best, but I've also known monks in Mahayana traditions including Tibetan, Zen and Whatever Korean Zen Is Called (Seon, I think?), and my brother- and sister-in-law are both ordained Zen priests. They were all pretty hardcore, and all started by paying for retreats. If you're really committed, or think you might become that way, learn and start practicing first, and/or spend some money on some courses. If you can afford a ticket to Asia you can afford to, and they won't take you seriously otherwise. And of course, if you show up broke with a declared interest in staying indefinitely, most Asian countries aren't going to let you in in the first place. You're not a monk yet.

I don't think that there would be any use for your art skills.
>>
>>1091896
Fuck your art skills, can you clean a toilet? That's probably your most useful ability, especially if you can't read or write or understand anything anyone is saying
>>
>>1091896
>the only thing I can offer them in return for my staying is my artistic skills, is it worth it?
Your artistic skills are worthless. You can learn to scrub floors and harvest fields though.

Thailand has monasteries that exist purely to do what you want for foreigners. Might cost some money but it won't be much. I've met some people that did that, one of them was married to a local woman when I met him so I guess he got what he wanted out of it.
>>
You wont be able to go a month without your 1st world luxuries.
Re-consider you life choices; this isn't for people who want to freeload all day.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.