[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to visit the states, but I've been refused entry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
Hi. I'm Canadian.

I've tried going to the United States three times (all like over a year ago)
The first time was a success. I got pulled aside and questioned about stuff, but they let me go under the condition that I return within like four weeks (I was flying and had a return ticket for three weeks later). Everything went well.
The second time I tried driving across the border and they stopped me and refused me entry because I apparently don't have sufficient ties to Canada and they didn't trust to me to not just stay in the states forever I guess.
Third time I was flying again and had a return ticket, but they still refused me entry.

I'd like to visit the states again, but since they don't refund you for your plane ticket it's kinda expensive to just keep trying and hoping for the best. Is there anything I can do?
>>
http://www.usentrywaiverlaw.ca/denied-entry-to-usa.php
>>
File: trump.jpg (64 KB, 480x485) Image search: [Google]
trump.jpg
64 KB, 480x485
>>1091838
Good thing your not mexican
>>
>>1091838
do you have a criminal record ? Where you born in Canada ? There's something you're not telling us here
>>
>>1091838
Did you just show up with no plan or something? If you tell them you are going to shop in X town for the day that's fine. If you tell them where you are going to stay for a vacation that's fine... either you have a record or you were acting mighty suspicious.
>>
>>1091897
>>1091908
No criminal record. I was born in Canada. I was trying to go visit my american girlfriend.
>>
>>1092076
Are you white?
>>
>>1091838
>The first time was a success. I got pulled aside and questioned about stuff, but they let me go under the condition that I return within like four weeks (I was flying and had a return ticket for three weeks later). Everything went well.
Okay...

>The second time I tried driving across the border and they stopped me and refused me entry because I apparently don't have sufficient ties to Canada and they didn't trust to me to not just stay in the states forever I guess.
If you look young they want to make sure you're going back. Canada does the same thing to me as an American. I generally carry an employment verification letter from my employer containing my name, office location, position, and salary dated within the last month, and my driver's license (proof of NYS residency), and a decent amount of cash. This shows that I have enough funds to get out of canada, and the residency/US employment shows that I have strong ties to the US (namely, I am likely to leave Canada so I don't get fired).

>Third time I was flying again and had a return ticket, but they still refused me entry.
What nationality are you? Where in Canada do you reside? Are you on any visa, if so, what? What is your occupation? How young do you look? What kind of car do you drive?
>>
>>1092085

> I generally carry an employment verification letter from my employer containing my name, office location, position, and salary dated within the last month, and my driver's license (proof of NYS residency), and a decent amount of cash. This shows that I have enough funds to get out of canada, and the residency/US employment shows that I have strong ties to the US (namely, I am likely to leave Canada so I don't get fired).

The hell? I just show them my Enhanced Michigan's Driver License, and I'm a-okay. Do they ask for you to show them all of this stuff, or do you offer to show them, just to be sure they'll let you in?
>>
>>1092116
Canadian customs gave me shit before because I look young. Generally I show my enhanced drivers license, on a few occasions they've asked for further proof of ties in the US to make sure I wasn't going to maple syrup land to illegally stay there for a long period of time. The employment verification letter usually satisfies them in that case but a couple times I've been asked for "proof of funds" to sufficiently legally stay in accomodations in Canada and get out if I need to.

I look really young, from what I understand, this is part of it.
>>
>>1092117
>>1092116
>>1091838
Fucking hell what is this border checking madness. I thought the Canada-USA border was really lax.

Even in the pre-Schengen era nobody really gave a shit and I'm from a post-commie state, so a likely emigrant. You just showed your passport and were good to go. No questions asked.
>>
I'm surprised to hear all of this about the border. I went last summer on an very informal road trip from the US to Canada. My two friends and I (all 20-22 y/o) basically told border patrol that we were taking a trip through the Northeast and would be back within a week or two. We had student IDs from back in the states, yes, but they didn't ask for them. And I did say I was visiting my Canadian aunt, but they asked for no proof or contact information, so couldn't anyone do that?
>>
>>1092153
>>1092117 here
Last two times I flew to Canada were for weddings. I got asked why I was visiting, the dates of my stay, the return number of my flight and time, the names of the bride and groom, and the exact street address of my hotel...and the CBSA officer asked me to answer that off the top of my head.

The first time the officer was especially unhappy because I was traveling alone (I was in Houston on business, it was cheaper for me to fly to Vancouver and back than it was for me to fly home and back to Houston so work was OK with paying for the ticket).
>>
>>1092148
>Fucking hell what is this border checking madness. I thought the Canada-USA border was really lax
They're probably gearing up in case of Trump refugees or the opposite with Trudeau
>>
>>1092148
It wasn't like this before 9/11
>>
>>1092148
>Fucking hell what is this border checking madness.
It's not the border checking, it's OP who's not telling us something significant.
I'm a 20-something canadian ameriboo who frequently travels there alone and something even remotely similar never once happened to me.
>>
How does no one think it's because he tells them it's because his gf is American? Just say you're visiting some friends you made while travelling. But I guess if you've been denied entry before, it's harder as there's a note on your record
>>
>>1092207
She could marry him in Canada or anywhere else and he'd be eligible for permanent residency. Why border guards would get a boner over it, I don't know.
>>
>>1092212
If I'm married to a Canadian citizen and I have a permanent residency application pending, can I expect any trouble at the border if i were to try and stay for a month with a return ticket?
>>
>>1092220
>If I'm married to a Canadian citizen and I have a permanent residency application pending, can I expect any trouble at the border if i were to try and stay for a month with a return ticket?
If you've already applied for permanent residency and have proof that you still have ties in Canada (e.g. an existing lease, a job, etc.) then I wouldn't expect much trouble if you brought it to the border along with proof of a return ticket.
>>
>>1092221
I'm a UK resident, applying for canadian permanent residency, should have clarified that, sorry
>>
>>1092222
CBSA is hardasses, main incentive is to prove that you're not ripe for an overstay. Do you have a job/residence in UK or are you hoping to get approved for PR while you're visiting your GF in canada?
>>
>>1092223
I have residence in the UK, but no job, and I'm not hoping to get approved while I'm staying. I have overstayed in the past, but visited recently with a visitor record and left when I was supposed to.
>>
>>1091838
Something doesnt add up lad. Im guessing theres something you arent telling us and that you know what it is.
>>
>>1092207
This is the correct reason. What the border guards think is that there's a potential the OP will stay with the gf and try to find employment to sustain himself there. OP, if you want to go to the US you will have to contact their embassy and get a visa. I believe you will have to prove your ties to Canada, showing proof of employment, rental agreement or mortgage, family ties of some sort etc.

I'm in my 20s and go to the States usually around 3-7 times a year. Sometimes I fly alone, sometimes I drive with my parents, sometimes I drive alone, on occasion I go with a friend. They often ask me where I work and what my job title is but I always have a harder time with border guards coming back into Canada. They're power hungry idiots. Their questions are stupid. For the most part American guards just enjoy the fact that I'm going down there to spend my money, the Canadian ones ask specific stupid questions like when I went to Costa Rica they asked me where I ate. I answered that I ate at local restaurants eating Costa Rican foods and the guard asked me for names. Like I fucking remember names of restaurants in Costa Rica that I randomly stumbled upon.
>>
>>1092299
Yeah, I figured I was right. I'm Canadian but look like I could be Mexican so I always just answer whatever they want to hear. Shopping for the day, visiting some friends (here's the exact address), all that crap. I would never say I'm there for a chick (romantically).

Sometimes when they question me for like 30 minutes I break out the "listen, I understand that you need to do your job, but I have no intention of living here. There's money in my bank account and I won't get stuck." They usually let me go after that and thankfully I haven't gotten a power tripping border guard 'cause I can see that being taken the wrong way, too.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.