[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/16/asia/ north-korea-warmbier-sen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: retard.png (339 KB, 769x424) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
339 KB, 769x424
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/16/asia/north-korea-warmbier-sentenced/

That's what he gets for trying to be a Real Traveler® and going to North Korea. Retards will continue to go to more and more extreme destinations to one-up their friend. I wonder did he post here.
>>
>>1091819
It's the definition of
>chat shit, get banged.

Been to NK, know at least 40people who did the same. They tell you to not fuck up a million times and that you will end up in a gulag.
Same as smuggling drugs to Indonesia, get busted, face a firing squad.

Play by the rules and you won't have problem.
>>
>>1091821
Yes but he *had* to steal the banner so he could impress the girls at the hostel about the time he stole from North Korea. Simpy visiting North Korea these days is so blasé, especially as part of an organized tour group (ugh).

He could even post pics on Reddit and acquire all the glorious upboat karma.
>>
Well, right or wrong, he knew the consequences beforehand. NK isn't a "walk-in" state and anyone going there is pretty familiar with the totalitarian dictatorship and their policies.

Sucker got caught in a political game.
>>
I was with the same company and same tour guide on the tour immeditely following the one he got arrested on, about a week after. I am Amerix can, the only in our group, but nothing happened. He got arrested for stealing as he would in any other country.

Like all the other offenders who were put in years of hard labor before him, he'll serve some short time in pyongyang and be released within a year or two.

They do this shit to scare people, just as when they lie about h bombs and the like.

Also, how is NK for realtravelers? It's a bizzarely unique place that everyone talks about. It's not like going to some mudhut in borneo or mali. I'm about as mainstream traveler that there is
>>
>>1091829
Wouldn't a picture that could be printed into a poster suffice?

On-topic, NK might say he's sent to hard labour, but this guy will be used as a bargaining chip when NK will decide to negotiate with US certain things in the future.

The travel warning for NK exists there for a reason, not for shits and giggles.
>>
He'll be released so that Kim can make a gesture of compassion. They published some bullshit story about he was forced to do it to pay for his mother's medical treatment. It's just being exploited for propaganda purposes
>>
>Otto was one of the smartest guys I've ever met
I don't know
>>
>people feel okay talking about NK, Colombia, Honduras, and other fucked up countries

>people get scared as fuck if you mention ones like Iran or Saudi Arabia

Why is this?
>>
>>1091875
Ask /pol/.
>>
>>1091875
Iran isn't that bad, neither is Saudi, but there is a big dose of control over media and you got to self-censor the things you say, especially regarding the country, religion and leaders.

t. lived in the UAE for 10 years, Big Brother is real and know countless people who disappeared from the country in under 24 hours
>>
>>1091875

Iran is fine and relatively western friendly to a degree, though Saudi is a whole other story and im not surprised people get a bit worried about it.
>>
>>1091860
You say you are as mainstream as they come, but admitted you were the only American on your tour

North Korea is not mainstream travel for Americans
>>
>>1091819
15 years from now he'll be shitposting realtraveler memes on /trv/ about how he got the real NK experience.
>>
>>1091830
>Sucker got caught in a political game.
He was souveniring shit for bragging rights.

Obviously all those stories about being forced to do it by a church or the US government or wanting to harm NK are all propaganda but stealing shit to brag about it is SOP for kids that age. It's basically a college prank.

The consequences are a political game though, you have that right. In China, you'd pay Y200 compensation and be kicked out of the country. In NK you go to a labor camp until an ex-president or senator goes and sits next to Kim in a photo op.

>>1091821
>They tell you to not fuck up a million times and that you will end up in a gulag

Exactly, the US government says, correctly, that consequences for offences are much more severe than similar offences in the USA. That is the literal truth.

>>1091829
>Yes but he *had* to steal the banner so he could impress the girls at the hostel about the time he stole from North Korea
Bingo.
/thread

When I was his age, I was on a trip to China with a group that had an 30yo who had done similar trips a lot. He had a ton of stories basically about stealing stupid shit like train conductor's hats and stuff. He used to have a competition with some friends about who could steal the weirdest/most official stuff.

Almost exactly the same thing.

At that age, I thought it was cool. These days I think it was stupid but it's still basically safe to do it in China if you're never planning on going back. Being deported from China won't be anything except an adventure. NK is a whole other level of fucked up.
>>
>>1091888
There are so many stupid things wrong with this post.

Did you finish high school?
>>
lol real traveler retards
>>
>>1091819
Man some people are really fucking stupid aren't they? I hope however many years of hard labor he has to do before some ex president goes to save his dumb ass teaches him it is a really good idea to follow the rules when you are visiting a despotic shithole.
>>
>>1091905
>stealing stupid shit like train conductor's hats and stuff
It's still a shitty thing to do. I don't know how people think it's alright to steal if your never going to go a place ever again. Stealing or being an asshole is so common now that people even think twice about what they're doing.
>>
>>1091905
I thought the political game was to do with trading the guy back for a relaxation of sanctions imposed because of the H tests
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Y4KqRx0wI

Please give this man an oscar.
>>
>>1091943
>Stealing or being an asshole is so common now
Souveniring isn't a recent activity. Fuck, soldiers were bringing shit home from WWII and had competitions to see who could bring back the coolest stuff.

College pranks go WAY back.

I'm not saying it's ok but it's definitely not new. In this case, it's basically a mix of tourists thinking they can get away with shit and tourists not identifying with the locals.

Same shit that gets people arrested in Thailand for doing 'hilarious' stuff to pictures of the king.

>>1091956
>I thought the political game was to do with trading the guy
ok, fair enough. I thought you meant that he was arrested in the first place for a political game.
>>
File: 1457803554079.jpg (80 KB, 672x658) Image search: [Google]
1457803554079.jpg
80 KB, 672x658
>people think he will actually spend 1 hour, let alone 15 years, in a labor camp
>traveling to north korea is RealTravelerTM
>having opinions about the danger of NK without ever having been there

I don't know whats the most ignorant. They're all pretty dumb.
>>
>>1091959
They gave one to Leo so I don't see why not.

Also if people see this and don't immediately understand that they wrote the entire speech for him and offer to let him go if he did this, then somethings wrong.

>fair and square
KCN at it's finest
>>
>>1092003
There has been a precedent of Americans in labor camps just not white boys
>>
>>1091918
College actually. And what exactly is wrong with the post? Go on social media or any American news article on this story and most of the responses are "WTF was he doing in North Korea?"

N. Korea is Real Traveler tier for Americans

BTW, did you graduate high school, seems you have inability to actually respond to anything I said. Just attack the statement and me.
>>
A quick search revealed in 2014 there were an estimated 4000-6000 Western Tourists (to include New Zealand/Australia) to Noth Korea. That's already a low number, and hoe many of those do you realistically think were Americans? Especially wit the travel advisories and fear mongering that goes on here in regards to North Korea?
>>
>>1092021
In addition, in an article I read from the LA times, the sentiment of people that have gone was "I'be always been fascinated by going somewhere that was forbidden." Sounds real traveler to me.
>>
>>1091959
He reminds me of Tobias Funke with a full head of hair.
>>
>>1092007
>>fair and square
>KCN at it's finest
Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

"My severe crime"
The oddly formal grammar and hyperbole is exactly what you read in their press releases. They're not even hiding it.
>>
>>1091973
Not denying it's new or anything. Pretty sure it's some what related to OP's post.
>soldiers were bringing shit home from WWII
This depends, if it was something on the battle field, lost and didn't have an owner I'd get it. But to go out of your way to steal something is just wrong.
I guess I'am so out of this "lifestyle" that I have a hard time grasping at some logic to make it "ok" to steal.
>>
I seriously hope our government doesn't do shit about this kid. I don't want to trade actual terrorists for this worthless scum's life. Let him rot for 15 years and then don't let him back in to America
>>
>>1091819
>Warmbier
With a name like that, the labor camp is only the second worst thing that has ever happened to him.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.