[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solo Asia Trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: trekking.jpg (971 KB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
trekking.jpg
971 KB, 3456x2304
So /trv/, I've come into a small amount of money in the past couple of days and I'm considering setting off in three weeks for a five-month trip around Asia.

My itinerary would probably be one month each (or thereabouts) in Thailand, then Cambodia, then Laos, the India then Sri Lanka.

I would be doing this alone, without much preparation. So my questions are as follows... in terms of visas and vaccinations, could I manage those needs as I travel? Eg, could I pick up visas as I go, and could I get any relevant vaccinations when I arrive in Thailand? Which vaccinations would you recommend? Just the basic typhoid etc? I don't imagine that I would be spending too much time in the wilderness so Jap Enc and Rabies probably wouldn't be necessary I would assume...?

My second question is, would this be doable alone? I've been on a couple of short trips alone and recently travelled around Eastern Europe alone for three months... would this area of the world be more problematic or would it be manageable? I've also previously been to Thailand and Vietnam with family.

I'm really excited by the prospect of such a long trip but I just want to make sure that I'm not getting in too deep or lacking proper preparation before I set off.

Cheers /trv/!
>>
>Vaccinations
Why would you wait to get them in Thailand, you think they're cheaper there? It's an interesting theory; may be true. Otherwise, why not get them all at once in the States, instead of wasting vacation time?
I hate vaccinations because you can never get a straight answer about the risk. Travel doctors are the only reliable people to ask and it's their job to say "don't risk it". As far as trusting advice from strangers on the internet, fuck that.
As far as rabies goes, most people get it because the emergency, post-infection vaccine is super expensive. The real danger in SEA is monkeys, which are everywhere, not just in the forest. I was only in Sri Lanka for ten days and I got in a fistfight with a macaque. With that experience in mind I said 'no thank you' when our Ha Long Bay our operator offered to drop us off at a place called Monkey Island. As soon as the other tourists landed on the island a swarm of monkeys burst out of the bushes; I remember watching from the boat as they were chased up and down the beach. one dude got his back clawed up.
But there's no denying the jab is expensive to get in the first place.
>would this be doable alone?
I found travel in SEA really stressful and fatiguing, and I had my GF with me for support. But maybe when you're alone the little annoyances matter less and one doesn't worry so much? Still, there are millions of white 20-somethings all over south Asia; if you're an outgoing guy you'll find company when you need it.
>>
The most valuable thing about having a buddy while traveling in Asia is that you've got another pair of eyes and ears to look out for potential scams, and to support you while you haggle for prices.
But if you're not too gullible, there's no real need for a buddy.
>>
>>1091126
I'll be leaving in three weeks so I was thinking I might not have time to get vaccinations at home if the doctor is booked up. I'd rather get them at home but Thailand is an option. Which vaccinations did you get? Strangely, I've never met anyone who has had the rabies jab!

I'm very outgoing and sociable and can make friends very easily but I'm just a bit aware that travel arrangements etc can be somewhat difficult in Asia (bus/train cancellations/amendments) and I wouldn't like to get outrageously lost while alone, which I know is fairly likely. Also, the idea of getting ill and being alone isn't appealing.

In Europe, I always do, and always will, travel alone... but in the potential chaos of Asia, the insurance of having a buddy might be nice, both for comfort and for ease.
>>
Bump, cheers /trv/!
>>
>>1091132
I lived in thailand for a year, and visited loas for visa runs and cambodia for a 3 day trip and I never got any vaccinations. Dont think its 100% necessary. Also if you're solo backpacking I'm sure you'll make some friends in the hostels who are down travel around with you. Just make sure you're a good judge of character, some of these british/australian fucks backpacking in SEA are worse than the poorest thai people in slum neighborhoods
>>
>>1091340
Thanks mate, we try our best.
>>
>>1091132
Me? I've never gotten a single travel vaccine unless it was required for entry into the country. I didn't even take malaria pills when I was in Africa. Because fuck it.

>but in the potential chaos of Asia, the insurance of having a buddy might be nice
Yes, well that's true. But still not a reason for canceling a trip if you don't have anyone to go with.
>>
OP here, thanks for all of the replies. I have sorted my vaccinations so they're all planned... I guess my only real concern is getting lost alone or catching a tropical illness when alone.

This is strange for me, I don't usually worry at all. I think I've just been slightly overwhelmed by how short-notice I've planned this without thinking through things. But you're all making me feel more calm. Thanks all!
>>
If I were you, I'd cut down Laos and Sri Lanka to half a month, or 3 weeks each, and spend 2-4 weeks in Malaysia. It's awesome. I'm European and I live here
>>
>>1091085
For india i recommend getting visa in advance. You need 5x5cm picture
for kambodia you can get e-visa easily. Just put some picture of you in your mail or dropbox-account.
for thailand no visa needed for less than 30 days for (for europeans think us citizens same), laos has visa on arrival.
For vaccination get a travel guide and read! Or google. Ask doctor bout malaria.
Travelling alone shouldn't be a problem, you'llmeet others.
india us different. Chaos. Cowshit. Just be prepared, it's different than southeastasia. But totally worth it. just been there, niw in cambodia.
Feel free to ask if you got any other questions.
>>
Anyone got any tips about Sri Lanka in July? I'm thinking about going there for a month. Seems like the eastern part of the Island (mainly Trincomalee) is the place to go. Any good breaks or safari? Hows the local life?
>>
>>1092655
are you the Dutch guy from the other thread?
>>
>>1092655
Where would you recommend to go in Malaysia for a 2 week trip somewhere in june-august?
>>
>>1092669
Thanks for the tips! I'll probably get my India visa via evisa, is that advisable?

>>1092655
Okay, thanks man. Why would you recommend Malaysia?
>>
>>1092804
I think evisa is always good i think (though for india i gad a normal one). Just make sure to have a good picture not to give them a reason to reject it after you paid for the visa.
>>
>>1092900
Thanks man, I'll do that. I'm going to get my Cambodia and Laos visas on arrival and get my Sri Lanka and India ones online. I don't need a visa for Malaysia, which is great!
>>
the only vaccination I'd do (and I did) is Hepatitis B. Because that's the only incurable viral disease that's transmitted through unprotected oral sex (BJ), and is, on top of that, ratehr widespread in SEA. You don't die from it though.

Also, whichever vaccines you decide on, check the time required to do them. Some have to be done in the space of several months, several injections. This means that, no, you can't just do them on the spot.
>>
>>1091340
>Hepatitis is fine - the post
Great advice man
>>
>>1095108
You can, if you get the vaccination card or whatever. You can even buy the vaccinations from most pharmacies but just need someone to inject them.

And anyway, even if you do get let's say Twinrix, the two part Hepatitis A & B vaccination in a hospital in Bangkok, you already have protection for the next few months after which is when you need to get the second, enforcing injection, for lifetime protection.

Even if you were still traveling when you needed to get the second one, you could just go to a hospital in Delhi with the papers from Bangkok and they could administer the second part.
>>
>>1092708
Penang. Jb, kl for a day
>>
>>1095347
>Johor Baru
Why? Legoland?

Seriously though
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.