[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Montreal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: montreal-banner.jpg (139 KB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
montreal-banner.jpg
139 KB, 960x400
How's Montreal?
>>
>>1090241
Lived there for 2.5 years, now live in Ottawa 2hrs away, love going back. Great city. Definitely worth a visit. Drinking age in Quebec is 18.
>>
>>1090252
Favorite things to do?
>>
>>1090253

Montreal is a good city for party my friend. At my opinion it s like Las Vegas but with less prostitute. Exept that there s nothing to visit.
>>
>>1090253
I like walking up St. Denis and St. Laurent, soaking in the neighbourhoods. I'd stay out of the Crescent neighbourhood, personally, and head north, to check out things like the Jean Talon Market, and Dieu du Ciel brew pub, or south to Old Montreal.
>>
>>1090241
Large. Old. Predominantly French-speaking (though neither as old or as uniformly francophone as Quebec City). Attracts many eighteen-year-old Americans who enjoy drinking. Great nightlife. Good cultural offerings. Good live music scene (I saw something cool at Foufounes Electriques). Good food if a little heavy (poutine, meaty Québécois fare)--I like the ethnic stuff. Jewish eats (bagels, smoked meat, lox) are as good as New York's but different. People speak highly of the strip clubs, but that is not my scene, so I dunno. High-quality big city overall.
>>
>>1090241
Lived there for one year, going to move back. Good vibe, lots of young people, very easy to meet people, lots of things to do, good climate as well imo (I come from somewhere with very little difference between the seasons so its nice to see -25 in winter and +25 in summer)
>>
>>1090253
Drive to Toronto. It's better
>>
>>1090434
you do know that montreal is not in america right?
>>
>>1090443
>you do know that montreal is not in america right?
Obviously. Are you not a native speaker of English? Were you referring to my line about Montreal attracting American 18-yos who want to drink? People who live within an easy trip often travel from south of the Canadian border when they are eighteen in order to drink legally, which is not possible in the USA for another three years. I guess people also cross the border into Quebec from other Canadian provinces to drink, too.

Or perhaps you were referring to my reference to New York. New York considers itself famous for having the definitive versions of a few foodstuffs, including bagels and pastrami (a cured beef product somewhat similar to the smoked meat one finds in Quebec). Anywhere else in the US (or anywhere in the world outside of New York), these and a very few other dishes are regarded as not as good at the very best, inedible at worst. For example, I live in California, where we didn't get decent bagels until about two years ago.

Because Montreal, like New York, has a relatively large and long-established Jewish community, they have local bagel and smoked meat traditions that command a similar level of respect. But they're not identical recipes.

I didn't compare MTL to NYC because I think all cities need to be likened to American analogues (although let's be honest--Anglophone Canada, at least, and the USA have a great deal in common, even if QC is a bit more distinct), I did it because Montreal is pretty much the only other city globally that can make an honest claim to be good or even the best at bagels.
>>
>>1090474
I live here and I never get bagels. Where should I be buying them?
>>
>>1090474
>long post explaining bagel logic

i'm just passing through but this was a very entertaining and informative post. thank you, anon.
>>
>>1090474
fukken saved. Best autism post i've seen on here
>>
>>1090485
St. Viateur Bagels and La Maison du Bagels. I thin they are in Mile End.
>>
American bro from Minneapolis

I went to montreal last year for an entire week, got a hotel downtown.

I got close to fucking a girl almost every night and then finally on the Friday night I was there a girl that was born in Italy that relocated there took me to her apartment after the bars got out and I fucked her.

IT was pretty fun, had some good food, went to Mt Royal, its pretty.
>>
>>1090485
>>1090560
I believe the place I've been most often is Maison du Bagels--definitely someplace in Mile End. But there are half a dozen bakeries with ardent fans scattered around the neighborhood; walk around and look for someplace crowded.
>>
coming from the UK I thought it was horrendously overrated, people went on about it like it was the city of El Dorado but in reality it was just a pretty regular city

Old Montreal is alright, and it's fun to rent bikes and go to the F1 track but to be honest there's not much there that wowed me

I was staying around the gay district though so perhaps I missed something
it's still definitely worth going to
>>
It's an okay place. Lots of racist frenchie people. Not as much as Quebec city. But the further away you go from downtown the more racist it is. The only good thing is the girls. They do nasty shit that I couldn't do with other girls. Rim jobs, slurping cum off the floor they do the whole nine yards. One was into scat but that's not my thing. I did get to piss into their mouth.
>>
Anon here. I'm applying for a work permit in a couple weeks to work at a client in Montreal.

I may have the ability to stay on weekends on work's dime occasionally (or just do so on my own).

I'm happy to hear that there's some good eats but is there anything I should experience during my time there? How much shit are they likely to give a New York resident who doesn't know any french (also, I'm white).
>>
>>1090241
I stayed there News Year 2015, at a hostel called M Montreal. Amazing hostel, great people, cool bar and staff. The rest of the city is great, even in the dead of winter (was really intense). Poutine and smoked meat sandwiches both worth a try, clubs are decent but not quite my scene, city is really cool to walk around. There was this Bio-dome with self contained environments and animals that I would suggest
>>
Best bars? I think I saw a list here before but I can't find it
>>
>>1090800
>racist

>>>>Tumblr
>>
>>1090671
>>1090800
Where does one find grills in Montreal?
>>
>>1091268

the same places as the rest of the world
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.