[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know a few of you guys have been to Sudan. It looks interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: map-sudan.jpg (19 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
map-sudan.jpg
19 KB, 270x270
I know a few of you guys have been to Sudan. It looks interesting with the Nile and the ruins, plus it's been a childhood dream of mine to see the Red Sea, and the snorkeling there looks unreal.
I don't have much money so I'd probably fly to Cairo since it's cheap, then hitchhike or whatever to get down to the Sudan, and mostly hang around the coast, then maybe take a boat down the Nile to get back to Cairo.
Here's what I like: deserts, pristine coastlines, friendly people, authentic food, visible culture. Does Sudan tick these boxes?
Question 2: I know a lot of African countries rely on police checkpoints to control movement. Will I have freedom of movement around the country? I'm American.
Question 3: Is it worthwhile trying to see Ethipia/South Sudan while I'm in the area? I understand Eritrea is more or less impossible...
>>
Bump. Help me, Africabros.
>>
>>1089541

Why not see the Red Sea from Aqaba in Jordan or Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt? Seems safer and less of a hassle than going to Sudan. I've heard it's a pain getting a Sudanese visa, and Egypt/Jordan have much better infrastructure.

Also isn't South Sudan one of the most dangerous countries in the world right now? It's been in a state of civil war for a few years now. I'd love to go to Ethiopia though.
>>
>Is it worthwhile trying to see Ethipia/South Sudan while I'm in the area?
South Sudan is essentially impossible right now too. There's an ongoing civil war on the border. Ethiopia is doable, the border between Sudan and there is tricky too, though, at times.
>>
>>1090109
Why would Egypt be safer than Sudan? And Sharm el Sheikh isn't for budget travelers as far as I've heard. Don't need infrastructure either. Thanks for response, tho.

>>1090136
Cheers, I figured the south was out of bounds. Guess I'll stick work what's safe, if i go at all.

I'd be especially interested to hear from that bicycle anon, about how he managed visas and travel permits.
>>
File: 1450502552306.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2880) Image search: [Google]
1450502552306.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2880
>snorkeling
If you're going to go all the way to the Red Sea, at least get a dive license.
>>
Convert some of your cash into money minutes with local phone guys. Because of refugees fleeing etc and people wanting to talk to their family members in europe, phone minutes are commodities that can be traded readily in the local economy since for natives they can be converted into money cheaper than the banks would provide them rates

or something like that. Anyways, convert a portion of your cash into phone minutes.
>>
>>1090285
The fuck
I was sold a similar story about cigarettes from a scammer in Dakhla. Didn't buy it.
>>
>>1089541
Sudan is a nice country but your travel most likely will be restricted to the Nile Valley and the coast. Don't know about current situation but in 2012 moving anywhere away required a special permit.

The state is bureaucratic and police-controlled at unbelievable levels but the people are usually very friendly and many of them speak English. Khartoum is perhaps the only Subsaharan capital where I dared to wander at night. Being there don't forget to attend Sufi meeting and Nubian wrestling. Both events are on Fridays at the same time, unfortunately.

You should know that Sudan doesn't really have much to see. If you're just looking for desert/ruins/snorkeling/Arabic culture etc. you will get it easier and cheaper in Egypt, Morocco, Jordan or even hitchhiking Western Sahara to Mauretania. Not trying to discourage you, still I have great memories from Sudan.
>>
>>1091089
>Morocco
>WS
>Mauritania
Done 'em all:) I'm hoping to tick off every Saharan country, actually. It just seems like, since I am poor and the world is currently shitty, Sudan is the next best option.
I guess the coast and the Nile are enough for me; I don't care so much about Meroe, etc.
It's cool that people speak English. Do you know if MSA Arabic will get my by okay, or would I have to learn a bit of Egyptian?
>>
>>1091113
I don't really speak Arabic but had no problem in Sudan with English and a handful of Egyptian and Levantine Arabic words and expressions I had acquired on the way.

With your experience I'm pretty sure you know what you're looking for and will enjoy Sudan a lot. It's very relaxed country, perhaps more than Jordan or Mauritania, not to mention Egypt or Morocco.

Just go there in winter unless you enjoy hardcore conditions. I was there in late March and the noon heat in Gedaref area was already too much. Nobody sane even tried to step out of shade between 12 and 16pm.
>>
>>1091089
>>1091113
How was Mauritania guys? Been thinking of hitchiking or bussing from Morocco to Senegal
>>
>>1091218
Pretty excellent, pretty frustrating. Very wild westy and worth your time. Apparently they've upped the visa cost to $100 in the last year, cheeky bastards.
I blagged about it: https://gavincwillow.wordpress.com/2015/05/25/mauritania-the-iron-ore-train/
>>
>>1091211
Thanks for the encouragement mang; you don't see much of that on this board anymore.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.