[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUGGGG /trv/ it has happened to me ;_; I picked up bedbugs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: DK1022-1.jpg (16 KB, 297x222) Image search: [Google]
DK1022-1.jpg
16 KB, 297x222
FUGGGG /trv/ it has happened to me ;_;

I picked up bedbugs

I haven't seen them again ever since the first bites showed up, but there is no way my luggage isn't infested, right?

I'm going home in 2 weeks and I cannot find any decent laundromats fml

Comfort me guys, this is seriously giving me the creeps and I dont wanna take those fuckers home with me/infect other people ;_;
>>
This is one thing that really needs to get nerfed when Earth 2.0 comes out.
I know it's the least fun thing imaginable, but go through your belongings, shaking out your clothes vigorously and checking under all the seams in your backpack. It's fucking weird the way they hide; their body language is almost like a human cowering into a niche to avoid being seen.
Do the search every day until you can get to a laundromat.

OPTION 2: Find someone at home who has a big freezer, and throw everything in there for a few weeks. That kills bugs and eggs.
>>
Protip, always hang your stuff when checking into hostels or seedy hotels, and sleep as naked as possible.
>>
>>1089515
>>1089516
Aight thanks, I hope I can make do with that until I find a hostel with a self service laundry (otherwise they'll never let me check in/throw my backpack and shoes into a drier)

I swear there should be businesses dealing with this shit for travelers. Like, a place where you throw your backpack into a "hot room/sauna" and have a special room to get decontaminated yourself. Seriously, how is that not a thing in touristy countries?
>>
>>1089520
Not a bad idea. Set that shit up in departures terminal of the Bangkok airport. "We'll hand-check your bag and steam the motherfucker."

Where are you?
>>
>>1089525
South Africa, in a small town between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. Every single laundry around here (including hostels) just washes clothes for you for a couple of bucks; which in this situation is rather inconvenient.
>>
Yeah I remember staying in a diet cheap hostel in Budapest a few years ago (4€??) Which had a serious bed bug problem. The only time it has ever happened to me thankfully
>>
>>1089528
Try to get to a bigger city, there should be self-service laundromats here. Feeling bad for you anon, don't let them get to you (too much).
>>
Man, parasites are so damn fascinating as a class of species I can't even be mad at them. On my travels I've picked up bugs, fleas, ticks, pinworms, ringworm. It's been interesting playing host, like I'm a whole ecosystem. Schistosomiasis is next on my bucket list.
>>
>>1089550
When I was infested with bedbugs at my apartment it got to the point where I considered them all my children, since they were down enough generations that I'm sure they were made entirely of atoms from my body.
>>
Microvave your clothes and bag for 30-45 seconds
>>
Man, as someone who has lived in northern climates my whole life I really don't like creepy crawlies. We have very few of them year round, only in the peak of summer do we see flies.

In Mexico in one of the hostels I picked up my backpack and a cockroach bigger than my thumb jumped out from underneath and ran into the corner. Then in Costa Rica I slept in a room filled with roaches, they were walking all around me on the walls but for whatever reason didn't go on my bed...
>>
>>1089513
You should be so happy and kiss every one of those bedbugs because you found them before they infested your home. You can just put your shit in a freezer and be fine. If they get into your home it's fucking over.
>>
>>1089592
Doesn't guarantee bugs dead, will melt/set fire to your clothes
How you gonna microwave a metal zipper anyway
>>
>>1089602
two words, mothafuckas: Clove Oil

Any 'eco' store or hippie store should have a collection of essential oils, if not you can buy it online easily enough. Then buy a little squirt bottle bottle for 1-2 local moonunits at a garden store or a cheap-shit everything-for-one-moonunit store where ever you are. Fill it with water and 15 or so drops of clove oil (i.e. diluted, but strong). Shake it up, and go to town squirting. Insects avoid the smell like the plague as long as the clove oil isn't dried up (4ish hours in the open air, shorter in direct strong sunlight), so you'll have to reapply now and then. Your shit will smell vaguely of apple-pie, but that's probably better than the usual sweaty old socks.

It may not 'cure' an infestation, but it can certainly help insects away in the first place. I also drop a few droplets on suspect beds at night (yes, I carry a vial with me). I once dropped a droplet of pure clove oil (from way up above it) on a cockroach the size of my thumb (big fuckers in India). The cockroach made it maybe a meter before it froze dead in its tracks and legs twitched up. It actually paralyses them senseless, but certainly will stop their tiny hearts too. Then you crush the fucker or toss it out the window or whatever.

Cinnamon oil is similar, but will cause chemical burns if not diluted enough.
>>
>>1089611
Interesting tip, thanks m8.
>>
>>1089611
Today 4chan taught me something. The world is changing.
>>
>>1089592
I've accidentally microwaved a moth for a few minutes. It survived.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Get some diamatious earth and put it all over your luggage and stuff. It'll kill the bugs over a few weeks.

I used it to kill carpet beetles in my room. Took a super long time.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.