[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the best way to thoroughly learn the streets and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Melbourne-Tourist-Map[1].jpg (455 KB, 1250x857) Image search: [Google]
Melbourne-Tourist-Map[1].jpg
455 KB, 1250x857
what's the best way to thoroughly learn the streets and landmarks of a city?

i'm moving to melbourne and even though it's easy mode i'm having trouble memorizing everything.

i want to be able to give reliable directions to tourists
>>
>>1089378
The best way for me is to use the streets. I can get a picture of the map in my head. But once I have been there that is when it really sticks. It doesnt matter how you get there, walking, on a bike, driving a car.
>>
Use the streets, as anon said, that, landmarks and big-ass signs for hotels, bars, etc. How much are you planning to help them depends on them too. There are people in this world that can't find their arse with both hands.
>>
>>1089378
Once there....review a map after you just "did something new" and you'll cement in the visual image of the layout and street names that cross intersections, with the street view images of being on the ground. It'll help with the awareness of going north, or whatever direction and make those memories longer term.
>>
File: Bolt_cutters_animated.gif (115 KB, 467x137) Image search: [Google]
Bolt_cutters_animated.gif
115 KB, 467x137
>>1089378
Buy a bicycle, and if you can't afford a bike, buy a bolt cutter.
>>
SUBWAY MAP

its how i learn cities.
Gives a condensed view of important stations and flux of places to go in a city with no distracting details.

You get to VERY ROUGHLY know that this area is north of that area etc.. Places where stations intersect are main hubs and most of the times landmark places give their names to the stations.

Take a pen and anotate your subway map. Keep a list of important places you visited nearby each subway station and hang that map in your bedroom/hotel room. Seeing it everyday will make you learn it.
>>
>>1089378
melbourne north-south is easy.

Spencer st has the train.

King - William

Queen - Elizabeth

theres only la trobe, lonsdale bourke and collins, every st inbetween is a 'little' of the one south of it
>>
depends on your brain, obv, but this
>>1089982
is how i lear as well. subway maps, or of there's none, tram or bus maps.
i also list some landmarks around subway stations, eg. historical monuments or just cafés i want to try first, and then explore the place starting from those.
>>
I draw my own maps.
>>
>>1086207
I think you're looking for >>1089688
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.