[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /trv/, first time here. In a few weeks, the situation may
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: downtown-dubai-cityscape[1].jpg (44 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
downtown-dubai-cityscape[1].jpg
44 KB, 550x412
Hi /trv/, first time here.

In a few weeks, the situation may arise when I have to choose between being sent to Madrid for 6/12 months
on a job, or to Dubai for the same time.

I'm having a hard time deciding which to go for.

A bit of background:

>22
>Italian
>Software developer

As an Italian, Madrid would possibly be the obvious choice since spanish has a very high cross-intelligibility
with italian.

On the other hand, Madrid is behind the corner.
I could probably pick up a low cost flight to Madrid for for 50€ or less, while there is a strong possibility
I would never visit Dubai in my life if I don't pick up this opportunity right now.

Has anyone here ever worked in Dubai?
Care to share your experience?
>>
>>1088965
If you value adventure, go to Dubai. You will be bored though, there is little to do besides shop and look at expensive things. On the other hand you will have cheap flights to all of Asia at your disposal for weekend getaways.

Of course Spain will be much more fun but it may not be as exhilarating to go somewhere that is a day's drive away vs another continent. Idk your decision. Spain will be more fun but Dubai will be more "different" and is one of the only safe ways to travel to Arabia, granted
>>
>>1088973

>On the other hand you will have cheap flights to all of Asia at your disposal for weekend getaways.

I didn't even think about that. Great tip.
>>
>>1088965
Dubai is full of money obsessed expat cunts do if that sounds like you then go for it.

Although it's the most liberal UAE country it's still UAE so need to be careful about certain things.

The buildings are pretty amazing though.
>>
>>1088965
How is this a question? What the fuck does a place like Dubai has to offer? Don't be a daft.
>>
Hey ciao!
Io ho 21 anni e anche io sono un programmatore... Attualmente sono a Dubai per pochi giorni dato che lavoro per una azienda di qui da remoto, tra pochi mesi dovrei andare a Riyadh per un po di mesi e mi hanno chiesto se voglio trasferirmi qui a Dubai... A me sembra un posto di merda... Non vivibile, giusto per le vacanze.
>>
>>1088965
>I would never visit Dubai in my life if I don't pick up this opportunity right now.

Dubai isnt that good m8. Dont stress about it.

6/12 months in Dubai would send me crazy, its just shopping centres and sand.

Go to madrid.
>>
File: alain_desert.jpg (104 KB, 2048x1362) Image search: [Google]
alain_desert.jpg
104 KB, 2048x1362
>>1088965
30 year old Dane lived in Dubai for 5 years now working in IT here.

Don't listen to those other guys spewing memes about Dubai, chance is they've never been here.

Definitely go to Dubai. There are lots of things to do in UAE except the obvious shopping and looking at buildings.
Madrid is a place you can always go.

Just a really quick list of stuff I do in no specific order because I'm in a rush.

* Hiking in the mountains
* Camping in the desert
* Diving/snorkeling (sea turtles and shit)
* Dunebashing (quads or 4x4)
* Partying (including lots of concerts)
* Motorsports (jetski, F1, Autodrome etc)
* Amusement parks
* Dhow cruises (Dolphins etc.)
* Travelling (cheap to Africa, Asia, SE Europe)
* Great food - With so many different cultures here you can get everything (including pork)

One big issue is that it's expensive to live here so I hope your company provides accommodation.

Have to go pick up the kid, but feel free to ask about anything and I'll answer later.
>>
>>1090369
No I spent 3 months there. 2 Weeks was more than enough to see everything in that cultureless city. Its just chains on top of chains on top of chains. The museum about the city was just showing how they basically lived in sand huts for their entire existence then they found oil in Abu Dhabi and built the cities over night. The locals are up their own butt and a good chunk of the women are no shy about stating their intentions. I went as a student and was told point blank a number of times that they only wanted a rich guy.

Once you see the worlds biggest this and the world's largest that there really isn't anything there that you couldn't do anywhere else in the world except it would be better. Abu Dhabi and Oman were a little better and nice to visit but I have no interest in ever going back to Dubai.
>>
>>1088965
>i would never visit dubai in my life if.i didnt pick up this opportunity

There is a reason you'd never visit dubai in your life, and thats because it isnt a very appealing place to go. If it were worth visiting it'd be on your list. The fact that it isnt should be a red flag in terns of living there for half a year.
>>
I'm an European who has travelled and lived quite a bit in the Middle East. Dubai is not very exciting. As a tourist destination, sure, it has a lot of stuff, and there are 6 other emirates you can visit. But as a place to live, it has nothing to offer. The city was a fishing village not many decades ago, before they found oil, and the population is some 90% Indian slave workers and 10% super rich stuck up arabs. No culture, no history. I'd go for Madrid, honestly.
>>
>>1090423
3 months and you've seen it all? I haven't even seen it all in 5 years.

>>1090454
I thought that slaveworker/rich arab meme died 10 years ago.
Most people here are middle class people living normal lives. And that is one of the things I love about Dubai, so many different nationalities and almost everyone are away from home. That makes us all in the same boat - An instant connection when you speak to people. It is so much easier to make friends here because everyone is so outgoing and can relate in some way.
The no history might be right, except a little in the northern Emirates. The no culture I disagree with, I feel UAE has created it's own (unique) culture.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.