[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
KRAKOW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_8194.jpg (5 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8194.jpg
5 MB, 5184x3456
Hey trv!

Does anyone have any great tips for Krakow and surrounding areas?

Interested in anything that has to do with nature, culture, anything really.

For krakow city Im looking for great places to eat, drink coffee and maybe some underground jazz bars or something. Pretty much anything interesting.

Is Auschwitz worth it? desu it doesnt seem very interesting. So much political conflict and biases that i dont believe I will learn anything.

Salt mines look good tho, but are they really a tourist trap?
>>
File: 15191462017_bfe9ed4b9c_h.jpg (413 KB, 1600x1060) Image search: [Google]
15191462017_bfe9ed4b9c_h.jpg
413 KB, 1600x1060
If you don't learn anything from Auschwitz you're just kind of a fucktard.

Salt mines are touristy yet fun to see.
>>
>>1088643
If there is one thing we've had in school its holocaust holocaust holocaust, oy vey the six trillion

Way worse things in history have happened, and Im sick of the focus on the holocaust. Anyways, wouldnt seem like its a good place to get objective information
>>
>>1088643
>>1089265
Most Poles hate the fact that people travel half way across the world and instead of going to beautiful places around the country they visit a shitty place like this. Poland has a 1000 year history, all sorts of nature, and yet people go to a place jews made their own. Oh I wonder how that is...

Wieliczka is definitely worth a visit, even if it does have too many tourists.
>>
>>1089276

I agree, but my girlfriend wanted to see it. Romantic as fuck.

Any other good daytrips or excursions?
>>
>>1088638
>>1088638
I was there a few years ago, didn't visit aushwits since I had visited a concentration camp near Berlin , I remember the beer being cheap and the food good. Even in the main square where usually I would avoid food was cheap and good. There's a Hard Rock Cafe in the main square. I went to the Schindlers factory but wasn't what I was expecting. Not much history on the factory story, mainly history of Jewish persicution which I already knew a lot about. I would definitely visit the salt mines. They are a tourist trap but really good still. And u have to see the elevator at the end. Have fun there :)
>>
>>1089265

Way worse things in history have happened, and I'm sick of the focus on 9/11. Anyways, the US doesn't seem like it's a good place to get objective information.
>>
>>1089284
Well, if you're not planning to spend a night or two in a mountain town like Zakopane you could go there for the day. There are buses that go there, takes about 2 hours. You can book yourself an early morning bus and then return in the evening. There are a lot of castles in the area, you'd have to look them up yourself, some are fairly close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_the_Eagles'_Nests#The_castles_of_the_Eagles.27_Nests

If you're into this sort of thing, which I doubt you are, you can visit Czestochowa which is a pilgrimage destination. It's kinda interesting to see even if you're not religious.

As a suggestion, go line up for the Wawel Castle very early in the morning. They have a set number of tickets per day which can sell out very early. I also suggest doing one of the tours, the history of the castle is very interesting, the guides might go into some fascinating Polish history.
>>
>>1089750
I know you are trying to be clever but I completely agree
>>
>>1089857
Thank you for the suggestions, this is exactly the kind of stuff Im looking for!
>>
Bump yall
>>
>>1088638
Krakow is simply the best city to visit in Poland in my opinion, especially if you like architecture and cathedrals.

It's very tourist friendly, I recommend the old Jewish quarter for nightlife, this is basically where students get drunk.

The whole Old Town is worth seeing, but if you want there are some guided tip-based tours every day, look it up on Trip Advisor.

IIRC Auschwitz is free of charge, but you need to book your reservation at the very least to week before, even more if you're going during the holydays season.

I personally wouldn't make the salt mines a priority, it really depends on how long you're planning to stay there. If your schedule is a bit tight, there a more interesting (and free) things to do in Krakow itself, the salt mines take at the very least 4h of your day.

And if by any chance you like planes, especially Cold War/Soviet stuff then by all means visit their Aviation Museum.
>>
If you do go to the salt mines do the miners tour instead of the shitty one that has wifi on the route. The miners route is quite physical so if you're fat then don't do it because you won't be able to fit through so of the holes.
>>
>>1090488
Here's a somewhat better website for the castles:

http://www.orlegniazda.pl/en-US
>>
Auschwitz if you wanna go on a feels trip.

Do the salt mines, it's really quite cool unless you have a salt mine of your own in your backyard. Remember, lick the walls (and your guide too if she's hot).
>>
I liked pretty much everything in Krakow.

Auschwitz and the Salt Mines I did using cheap half day coach tours. Most hotels seem to have an arrangement with one of the local companies, and reception sorted everything out for me. If I recall, each tour cost about £15 - possibly a little less. I'd have liked to have spent longer at the salt mines, but half a day was plenty upsetting enough for Auschwitz. Tours were slick: minibus pick-up and drop-off from/to hotel quickly with short runs, transferring passengers to a coach at a rendezvous point.

The old town is beautiful, and well worth a wander round. Wawel castle and the palace are gorgeous and should be a priority. Should be fine without any guides or anything for these.

I also really enjoyed the Polish Aviation Museum: but I like gawping at old jet fighters, and rust-buckets of odd old planes. I appreciate I may be in the minority on that one.

Other things worth brain dumping:

There's a shopping center right next to the train station, and there's a supermarket (Carrefour, if I recall correctly) inside for grabbing essentials.

I enjoyed one particular restaurant so much I ate there 3 times in 5 busy days: Pod Aniolami was the name. Walked past it and gave it a try on a whim, really good food and less pricey than it looks.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.