[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey trv In June I'm traveling to the States for a month.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: usa.jpg (318 KB, 1418x786) Image search: [Google]
usa.jpg
318 KB, 1418x786
Hey trv

In June I'm traveling to the States for a month. I was planning to start from San Fransisco and travel by Greyhound to Jacksonville. I have family living in San Fransisco, Las Vegas, Austin, Nashville and Jacksonville, so I'll have a place to stay there.
Can you give me any advice on what to do, what to beware of on my route, what I should add on my route? I'm thinking about fitting New Orleans in there if I have some time left.

Is it possible to visit Yosemite and Sequoia without a car?

Any advice would be more than welcome
>>
I really love the american south. I was planning to visit the Hank Williams museum in Montgomery and Graceland and Sun Records in Memphis
>>
What book(s) should I read before I visit and while visiting?
>>
Is that scene in Love Actually true where American girls find British accents attractive?
>>
>Traveling by Greyhound

That's you first mistake. Only peasants use Greyhound. Be a man and rent a car.
>>
>>1087826
Graceland is pretty neat. While you are in Memphis, also check out Beale Street, the touristy old-timey bar area of town. Also try their bbq (they have some of the country's best). One place that is really good is Corky's. The signature dish is dry-rubbed baby back ribs.
>>
>>1087836
Girls anywhere like foreign accents.
>>
Check out the Hermitage while you are in Nashville. It's the plantation of Andrew Jackson, the 7th President (he's the one on the $20 bill). History up the hoohaw there.
>>
As for whether you can get to places like Yosemite or Sequoia by bus, tour buses definitely go there all the time, but I'm 100% certain Greyhound doesn't go to those places.

Again, it's better if you have a car. I don't understand why foreigners wanting to visit the US insist on using land transport other than renting a car. It's the most convenient option and it will give you the maximum freedom to go anywhere you want when you want.
>>
>>1087857
>>1087865
Thanks.
How much would it cost to rent a car? Can I rent a car and return it in on the other side of the country?
>>
>>1087881
Oh, yes, you can definitely return cars to places on the opposite side of the country. Most car rental places have locations nationwide, so it should not be difficult to find one at the opposite end.
>>
Anyone been to Montgomery?
>>
File: clouds-yosemite2.jpg (190 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
clouds-yosemite2.jpg
190 KB, 700x525
>Is it possible to visit Yosemite and Sequoia without a car?

yosemite yes easily, sequoia probably but more difficult.

google "yarts". that's the bus system that runs from merced to yosemite, and yosemite has free shuttles that run all over the valley floor and up to glacier point.

sequoia you'll probably have to go with a private transportation company out of fresno.
>>
>one month
>10 destinations
>4000 miles

you're gonna spend all your time traveling. my wife once made the mistake of taking the grayhound from santa cruz to modesto. a 2 hour car ride took her over 12 hours.

what's your budget, and how old are you?

rental car: ($30/day x 30 days) + ($2/gal x 4000 miles/25mpg) = $1200, but way more freedom and less travel time (though that's still about 10 days of driving, between destinations and not wanting to crash from falling asleep at the wheel)

might even consider taking a puddle jumper from vegas to austin, and maybe from austin to nashville if you decide to cut out new orleans. way faster, and probably cheaper when you consider car rental, fuel and lodging. fuck, maybe even just plane it from city to city-that way you'll actually have time to spend with you family, instead of just using them as a place to crash for a couple days between long distance grinders.
>>
>>1087920
Yes, and it is approximately 98.7% black with absolutely nothing to do or see there.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (135 KB, 1230x762) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
135 KB, 1230x762
>>1087935
Closer to $45/day for one ways now. If you've got a bit more, splurge for a larger car so you can nap in it.
>>
>>1087865
>Again, it's better if you have a car. I don't understand why foreigners wanting to visit the US insist on using land transport other than renting a car. It's the most convenient option and it will give you the maximum freedom to go anywhere you want when you want.
1. Not everyone can drive a car. Many people don't bother learning to drive if they have no use for a car where they live.
2. It's much much cheaper to go by public transport if you are traveling alone. Even with expensive American public transport.
>>
AL fag here, skip Montgomery, it's just a huge ghetto. Birmingham is pretty cool, just stay on the south side.
>>
>>1087825
Skip Memphis.
Instead of Atlanta go further east to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA.
>>
>>1087825
>>1090709
Also your trip is way too large for a month. That's a 2-3 month trip minimum.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.