[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lone Traveler Tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 701px-Washington_map.jpg (124 KB, 701x599) Image search: [Google]
701px-Washington_map.jpg
124 KB, 701x599
I'm 25 and got my first taste of traveling by visiting Peru with some friends. I loved it and it's been almost a year since that trip.

I want to travel again this summer. Thing is, none of my friends can afford to. Looks like if I really want to travel I'll have to do it solo.

What's solo travel like? I'm afraid it will be awkward and lonely. I would try to stay in hostels in order to meet people but I'm not a naturally outgoing person. Any tips?
>>
bump because I wanted to know the same thing
I feel like the sort of person that wouldn't be able to find my way out of the airport but I completely intend to do it anyways
>>
File: Hostel.png (43 KB, 756x603) Image search: [Google]
Hostel.png
43 KB, 756x603
I've seen this story posted from time to time.
>>
>>1088053
Yeah that's really encouraging...
>>
>>1088059
I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
I'm traveling alone in Japan right now. It's not too bad, you can traverse twice the space in half the time, so you get to see more but you also get exhausted.

Try and meet people if you speak the language. Hit up a bar just like you would in your home country.

Solo traveling is nice, but don't have any friends to rely on if you fuck up (lose wallet, get lost on trains etc)

Pros and cons.
>>
>>1088065
Have you traveled alone in other places?
You don't get bored or feel awkward ever?
>>
>>1088067
No I've never done it before. Atleast to a foreign country.

Awkward, no. Never.
Bored? Yeah sometimes. There are lulls in vacations where everyone is tired so you just hang out or whatever, but I can't really do that. When I get bored/tired, I just hop on the subway and go wherever or watch Japan television. Might seem lame but I'm here to eat up the culture, so if I can't do it back home it's an adventure to me.
>>
>>1087746
Similar case, but I'm 27 and took my Dad on a cruise last year. Now my family got me excited about all of us going again but they backed out and even my Dad isn't likely to be able to go.

Let's hop on a ship to the Caribbean, anon. Just you and me. Has to leave Miami or Port Canaveral, though. I need a closed-loop cruise that's not hard to take off to since I haven't got a passport.
>>
>>1088076
On second thought, that's kinda creepy
>>
>>1088076
KAAAAAZOOOOO
>>
>>1088077
he says while posting anonymously on one of the slowest boards of an indonesian weaboo website

no one's judging you desu
>>
>>1087746
Even if you're awkward and not outgoing if you stay in hostels and spend time in the common room/area people will approach you. That's the best part of hostels, if you're not outgoing someone else will be. How do I know this? Because I'm awkward and quiet and not even close to outgoing. But I also don't shy away from people who want to talk to me.

My suggestion, start off with a short trip, 2 weeks. Then go for longer, and longer, until you set off for a year+ around the world.
>>
Travelling solo has its pros and cons, but it all depends on who you are as a person.
The good thing about travelling solo is that you wont have anyone elses problems on your shoulders, you can do whatever the fuck you want and change your route, take whatever transport you prefer, easier to couchsurf and hitchhike, less to book etc.
And also its way easier to get people to like you when you are on your own because you can adapt better and dont have to be the same person you are around your best friends, im not saying that you should try to be someone you are not and make up things because nobody knows you, im just saying that everyone acts a certain way when they are with their friends and a certain way when they are not.

If you are not close minded and too autistic you shouldnt really have problems finding people in hostels to hang out with. Most of the people are there for the same reason as you, everybody wants an international contact network and travellers are always easier to socialize with. You always have things to talk about.

The best thing in my opinion about it though is that freedom feeling and you get to do everything at YOUR pace, not someone elses.
>>
I'm not really drawn to hostels either, but airbnb could be a good alternative if you get a host willing to talk with you and recommend local things you may have missed during your planning.

As another anon said, it can get pretty tiring since you're likely to be moving at a faster pace not waiting for others. Make sure to leave gaps accordingly to rest up.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.