[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dutchfag going to London, any Londonfags with pet peeves or advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
Dutchfag going to London, any Londonfags with pet peeves or advice?
>>
Where in London?

Keep to the right hand side of the escalators
Let people get of the train/lift before you get on
Look right when crossing the road
>>
>>1087167
Public transport does not accept cash. Get an Oyster card. It just might save you from relentless tutting and strong looks of disapproval.
>>
>>1087248
You can buy tickets or travel cards with cash but it's generally more expensive. Get an oyster card or use a contactless card, which is exactly the same rate with less hassle.

Don't stop walking in busy areas, be aware of your personal belongings and open pockets. Use Citymapper for planning any public transport.

Do the typical tourist shit, get fast track tickets if it's a thing. Don't eat near any major tourist attraction because as usual the prices will be jacked.

Depending on your budget, go see a West End show. Go drinking in Soho. Walk around Hyde Park or up Primrose Hill.
>>
>>1087248 >>1087303

Native Londoner here.

*Buses* don't accept cash. The tube does, but you pay a hell of a lot more than if you have an oyster or contactless card, so get one or the other of those.

Yes, go up Primrose Hill for sure. Decent cheap restaurants - there's a small chain called "Little Bay". Most central branch is in Farringdon (itself rather an interesting neighbourhood to explore with a great deal of history), and the next most central is on Belsize Road near Kilburn High Road and Kilburn Park stations.
>>
>>1087319
>Native Londoner here.

D'you want a medal senpai?
>>
Guy from Belgium here. My "gf" is from London and she visits a lot (like, once a month) and takes the eurostar. Any way to get cheap eurostar tickets? During the week it's really cheap (like 40 pounds?) but in the weekends, holy shit...

Anyway, anyone have any insider information about the eurostar travels? Thx
>>
>>1087167
Get an oyster card. It'll be such a hassle without one and you'll be paying out the ass for the buses and tube.

Rent Boris bikes, but be constantly returning them for different ones... The rate for borrowing them isn't a flat one, it gets higher and higher the longer you have one.

Leicester square and Piccadilly circus are rubbish, dont go. Soho has SOME good places to drink but it's mostly dirty gay bumming bars or tourist traps like O neills... Brixton or Charterhouse/farringdon has the best clubs.
>>
Look up the samual smith pubs in London. Such as the Red Lion in soho or the Chandos in Trafalghar Square among others. Relatively cheap beer/cider and comfy surroundings.

The beer is even cheaper up north though :^)
>>
If you fancy a snack check out Camden Market for all kinds of cooking from around the world.
>>
>>1087483
Don't get a Boris bike. Cycling in Central London is stupid. Soho is great if you're not a homophobe like this Anon. Don't go to fucking Farringdon.
>>
Belgium fag here ariving in Victoria couch station soon, next bus towards Liverpool is in 5 hours. What's recommended where I can eat drink and relax for a couple of hours around here?
>>
>>1087303
Also oyster cards cap themselves after a certain amount of journeys so further journeys you make in a day are free
>>
Biggest pet peeve? Tourists.
>>
>>1087167
do a night out in dalston kingsland road
>>
>>1087502

now this is fucking bait or youre a tourist

hit up urban food first street food market in shoreditch on saturdays i tghink for food which wont give you parasites
>>
>>1087167
Don't think it's like England because it really isn't.

t. live 30 minutes by train from it and it's like going to another country
>>
>>1089143
Oh god, this 100%. If you can, try to get out of the city for a day or two and into the countryside. I guarantee you'll enjoy a stroll through the woods more than Oxford Street
>>
I'm also going to London for 6 days. How much money do I need to put onto my Oyster card?

I'm landing at Stansted airport, can I go to the center using my Oyster card then? Or do I have to get a cab or some kind of special airport bus?
>>
>>1089152
There is a train, gets you into central in about half an hour. Not sure if it takes oyster card though.

>>1089143
>>1089148
Go up to Bletchley Park, beautiful countryside and a great museum and its only a short train out of London.
>>
How safe is London ? Where should i avoid ?
>>
>>1089143
What does the "t." mean? I've been seeing it for ages now and never been able to work out what it meant.
>>
>>1089170
It's as safe as any other major city. Just keep your wits about you and try to look like you know where you're going. The central London is a bit iffy, but chances are you're not going to get stabbed. Us Brits usually keep ourselves to ourselves.

South London, around Croydon, Brixton and Peckham is dodgy as fuck, but as a tourist you have literally no reason to go there, they are utter shitholes.

Greenwich and The City are also hugely overrated.
>>
>>1087167
Don't go, it's a shit hole place and full of wankers.. . go upto the North of the country. Everyone is friendly and you can visit the lakes in Cumbria and have a good pissup in newcastle
>>
>>1089157
The train from Stansted doesn't take Oyster, and is grotesquely overpriced. Unless time is really short I'd take one of the coaches.

London is perfectly safe.
>>
I'm also going to London in April. We're 4 and we'll stay for 3 days. We're students from EU.

I've few questions:
I'm going pretty much for two things: Sherlock Holmes home and the British Museum.
How long is the queue, and when should I avoid going to?
Also what's the cost for the museum? It's free for students, right? I checked, but just to be sure.

My friends aren't into these things, so what can we do the other time?
Is it worth going outside London like in Bovington?

Others things worth telling?
>>
>>1090367
British Museum is free for everyone, but usually has a temporary paid exhibition in addition to the main collections. You shouldn't have a problem with queues there - it's a big place, and, as I said, free for everyone.
>>
>>1089181
it's a finnish meme import.

You can basically think of it as an meme ironic "your truly, _________"
>>
>>1090395
I see... Not one of the best ones around.
>>
>>1090382
So how long is the queue? 1h? 2h?
>>
>>1090416
You should be able to walk straight in most of the time. The only tourist places in London that regularly have queues are Madame Tussauds (avoid) and the Tower of London
>>
>>1090456
Just confirming that Tussaud's is a fucking shitshow. Overpriced, horrendous queues and crowded even indoors.
>>
>>1090456
>>1090463
>1090463
Really? That's seems crazy compared to others museum.
Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>1089210
fuck you peckham is life
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.