[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any tips for a first time hitchhiker traveling from Saskatchewan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_2016-05-30-14-15-43.png (392 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-30-14-15-43.png
392 KB, 1080x1920
Any tips for a first time hitchhiker traveling from Saskatchewan to British Columbia
>>
I'm going to be driving through Sashatchewan and BC in a couple weeks on my way up to Alaska.

I'm don't have any tips to give you but a Canadian friend I have told me not to call Canadians "buddy," "guy," or "friend" (like from South Park) mockingly.

Not sure if he was just fucking with me though...
>>
>>1121341
lol as a canadian most of us wouldnt care if you were just shooting shit but if we got the sense you were mocking us it might piss us off. Never heard a canadian call someone guy or friend before but almost every guy i know calls his friends buddy.
>>
>>1121341
How many weeks
>>
>>1121341
And what road are you Taking
>>
>>1121341
Your friend is fucking with you but "buddy" or "pal" is often used sarcastically, as in "way to drive, pal" or "you got a problem, buddy?".

Its very Canadian to end a threat with a compliment like "you want to fight, pal?".

Unless you're obviously being hostile nobody will be offended from calling them "buddy".
>>
>>1121161
Why kelowna?

Anyways, Saskatchewan is one of the easiest places in the world to hitch, farmers do it to get around sometimes so people are pretty used to it. You won't be waiting more than 10 minutes anywhere.

The thing is to remember to stick up your thumb, euros sometimes point 2 fingers to the ground like they are hailing a cab and it confuses people.

When picking a spot consider 2 things:
>Can people see me from a distance?
>Can they safely pull over?
You won't get far hanging at the bottom of on-ramps or at the side of six-lane highways... also, don't wait in the shade, people won't pull over if they can't see you clearly.

Alberta you might get sketchy coked out rig pigs in lifted pick up trucks, but you are in no danger, more likely you end up in a hotel room doing coke off a hookers ass. They all drink and drive there and they know how to do it, so dont be a bitch about it. They're just a bunch of overpaid rednecks and are completely harmless if a bit full on.

Take the yellowhead trail through the Rockies, it's jaw dropping. So you should consider cutting through Edmonton rather than Calgary. You will not regret seeing that part of the Rockies.

Other than that, your route is easy mode hitchhiking so you don't need to sweat it much. Take your time and have fun!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.