[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I get paid to travel the world as an air courier. AMA.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Hong_Kong_3.png (188 KB, 554x407) Image search: [Google]
Hong_Kong_3.png
188 KB, 554x407
I realize that /trv/ is a slow board so please be patient if I don't respond immediately.
>>
>>1086132
I've heard becoming an air courier nowadays is in the past. How did you get the job? Is the pay worth it? Does not having a stable life affect you in anyway?
Looks like a job to do for a few years.
>>
>>1086148
The industry has definitely shrunk over the past decade but there is still a market for people who want their goods accompanied during transit. In the past I've accompanied a rich client's pet dog on a flight to SFO. Another time I personally delivered a VERY expensive work of art to Milan. It's an insight into how the rich live.

>How did you get the job?
Well, I'm essentially a freelancer. I advertise my services and clients get in contact with me. No disrespect but I can't stand the "gibsmedat" attitude these days where millennials expect others to provide their dream job for them. Create your own job.

>Is the pay worth it?
I charge a premium as I offer a luxury service. So yes, I'm handsomely compensated.

>Does not having a stable life affect you in any way?
I'm single and have always been a bit anti-social so this job suits me down to the ground. There is a lot of time spent in hotel rooms and waiting in airports. I'm intimately familiar with most major airports across the world from AUH to SIN to LHR and to be honest they begin to look the same after a while. Same sterile decor, same issues of magazines on the shelves, same over-priced coffee. I sometimes feel lonely for a partner when I'm out exploring a new city and see loved up couples walking hand in hand, but a girlfriend would tie me down and make my lifestyle almost impossible. I've no intentions of slowing down any time soon.
>>
>>1086162
How much do you make? I'm genuinely interested how much a job like this would pay.
>>
>>1086162
how do you/did you get the contacts? I'm assuming you don't advertise on some sort of open platform, but directly to a smaller circle of customers right?
>>
>>1086169
I don't want to reveal too much personal info in case some autist tracks me down and doxxes me but you're correct that I advertise my services directly to a small circle of customers. Word of mouth plays a big part in new attracting business too.

Think about it: celebrities and politicians need to get their hair cut like everyone else. But they don't go to Supercut at the mall. They phone their personal barber to make a house call. Similarly I operate in a field invisible to most kettle travelers. You won't see my advertisements on Craigslist, for example.
>>
>>1086132
This is pretty cool have a ton of questions

Do you have insurance for the item?

Do you carry on every item? What if gets lost if you check it?

Do you know what the item is?

Can you give some examples of what items people request? I can understand dogs/ pets

Is this an active job or passive how many requests have you done?

I imagine some of the items could be over the 10k usd value, whats the protocol for those items.

What is stopping you from just vanishing with the items. Do you provide colateral of some sort.
>>
>>1086132
how can i get your job? where do i apply?
>>
>>1086132
anything you've couriered that seemed like a waste of time to you?
>>
is there a special qualification you possess that allows you to charge a premium to basically be a mailman for precious items? i keep thinking about the transporter movies and imagine you being some hard ass ex military guy, but i feel like that's far from the truth
>>
>>1086162
>No disrespect but I can't stand the "gibsmedat" attitude these days where millennials expect others to provide their dream job for them. Create your own job.

Biggest bullshit ive heard, nobody is going to give you expensive shit or high level documents to transport without you working for a reputable company or unless you have a lot of rep.
>>
Do you deliver to Syria?
>>
>>1087381
or his daddys rich?
>>
>>1086172
How did you first get inside the circle?
>>
>>1086162

Gonna be honest, the somewhat condescending tone of this post is screaming "bullshit" to me.
>>
File: 0112.jpg (18 KB, 570x712) Image search: [Google]
0112.jpg
18 KB, 570x712
>I offer a luxury service
>>
>>1087886

The bitterness and envy is seething from your posts. Please continue to fantasize about travelling the globe as you sit in your underwear in front of a sticky laptop in your mom's basement. I'm beginning to believe the meme that /trv/ is full of NEETs who can't actually afford to travel.
>>
File: ggdsh.jpg (17 KB, 474x257) Image search: [Google]
ggdsh.jpg
17 KB, 474x257
>>1087385
I've never had any need to go there, but if I was offered work to travel there I think I'd decline due to the civil war at present. I'm lucky to be in a position where I can pick and choose my jobs.

>>1087694
Networking. Who you know will ALWAYS trump what you know. This is why I laugh at autists who are book-smart and graduated top of their class at college but don't know how to talk to people.
>>
>>1087922
Not sure playing the same game of name calling and shit posting as the other guy advances your cause.

"Do not feed" is an excellent rule, though people struggle with it.
>>
File: How to draw an owl1.jpg (35 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
How to draw an owl1.jpg
35 KB, 500x407
>No disrespect but I can't stand the "gibsmedat" attitude these days where millennials expect others to provide their dream job for them. Create your own job.
>>
>>1087929
>Step 1: Meet the president of a huge corporation
>Step 2: Get hooked up with a sweet spot on the board because you are an awesome dude
>Step 3: ????
>Step 4: Profit
All of these lames going college amirite?
>>
>>1087922

Not that guy, but most of us here who travel quite often. Frankly, the tone of your posts makes me think you're an obnoxious and insufferable cunt who probably doesn't travel farther than his local Taco Bell.

>>1087381

Also this.
>>
>>1088515
Hey, the local Taco Bell is really far when you're a sociophobic 500lb whale man!
Respect them a little!
>>
*Most of us here travel quite often

My bad.

Anyway, OP needs to post some pictures and offer precise information or else I'm calling bullshit. His "specifics" so far are so vague and contrived that I'm guessing he's probably not old enough to check into a hotel by himself.
>>
>>1088623
>Staying in a hotel
>Being a Real Traveler

Pick one.
>>
>>1088695
Go back to
>>1084317
>>
>>1086162

>Ask Me Anything
>no i will not be answering any specific questions...because any useful information i give out will lead me to being doxxed
>i am handsomely paid and network in extremely exclusive circles
>no i will not give job seeking advice to any of you fucking priveleged millenials

you're either lying about everything or you're a huge faggot.

either way fuck off.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.