[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Russia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9
Do you really need to register your stay? Especially if you're frequently changing cities.

There seem to be differing opinions online, some claim no one checks registration papers and only your visa is enough, others say it's better to register even if it's a huge pain.

Also Russia thread
>>
Will hop aboard this thread and also ask a question.
I'm thinking about going to Moscow and take the Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Beijing in November/December.
Is it a bad idea to do that traversing during winter?
>>
If you're frequently changing cities, there's no point.

If the police stop you (they will unless you blend in well) you're just going to have to show them your passport and visa, and then pay a small bribe, like $2. ALWAYS CARRY CIGARETTES AND A LIGHTER FOR BRIBING. The system made sense during the cold war, but now it's just something that they keep to make money from.

>>1081689
Yes. There will be no daylight, and the few hours of it will be the same monotonous landscape for days
>>
>>1081686
Depends on where you stay. Was told we only had to register if we were in a city for more than seven days, but some people would tell us it depending on the city. That said, most hostels/hotels will register you. In my experience, trying to register yourself is a fucking nightmare, one of my worst experiences in Russia.

>>1081689
Don't bother. Like the other guy said, it'll be dark most of the time. You're going to want to stop and see the cities you stop at, and during the winter it's going to be dark more often than not. That said, I'm told summer can be hellish because of the mosquitoes.
>>
>>1081686
I registered mine but it didn't get checked
The guards don't care. Unless you've got a passport from Afghanistan or Somalia they will just stamp it without question. I met people who overstayed their visas and arrived before their visa was valid and they were all let through after paying maybe 2000rb fines.

>>1081689
I did it in November and it was awesome, nice and cold and snowing exactly what I wanted a transib trip to be like.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (105 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
105 KB, 500x370
I'm local and what can i say: if you're not allahuackbar-looking guy everything will be fine. Police even will not look at you because now they have a lot of job watching for all of these churkas. Relax and have good times.
>>
I'm >>1081689
My main idea reach Belarus around November and from there catch a train to Moscow and then Beijing. Or I could go by plane and save time.

I read it takes about 6 days by train. Can you actually stop and see the cities in the way? I thought you bought a ticket and it was good for one ride only?
>>
The police dwells mostly in the subway or around it, so avoid this area and you'll be allright
>>
>>1081686
Well its the law
>>
>>1081836
Yeah but you know how it do
>>
From UK but I have been many times on tourist and private visas.

Just register your visa.

It is the law, and you could get fined on exit when flying home at border control.

If you stay in hotels they will do it for you, if you enter on a non-tourist visa, then you can register it at the post office. Preferably have a Russian speaker with you or speak Russian yourself if you go to the post office because usually you have to explain to the worker wtf you specifically need.

They tried to charge me for medical insurance costs even though UK and Russia have a bilateral medical agreement for example. Took a long time to explain that shit.
>>
>>1081689
Why nobody answers my awesome thread on the topic?
:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
>>1080335
>>
>>1081895
Related question:
https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-will-other-countries-know-i-have-a-valid-australian-visa-if-i-dont-have-a-visa-label

>Be my friend
>Australian immigrant
>Australia does not issue visa labels because "muh 2016 muh digital age"
>Has an argument in Europe with the check-in counter because she doesn't believe him about the fact Australia does not issue visa labels

>pic related
>Be me
>Australian immigrant
>Australia does not issue visa labels because "muh 2016 muh digital age"
>Crossing the border between Russia and Mongolia
>Has to explain this shit to a Mongolian border office who barely speaks English
>I do have a Mongolian visa already, but the bureaucrat knows that I am bound to carry evidence of my residence.
>Passport says "Australia" so he asks me where the Australian visa label is
>I have no visa label
>I don't speak Mongolian
>He barely speaks English
>Australian DIBP: "visa holders can send details about their visa status directly from VEVO to any email address, including foreign officials"
>Mongolian border patrol does not have Internet access
>Australian government: "visa holders can undertake a VEVO enquiry on their mobile electronic device (if available) and show this information to foreign officials."
>No data plan in the fucking desert

Fucking insane. Australia has this sense of entitlement I hate:
>We do our own shit and the rest of the world will comply
>You go elsewhere in the world
>They don't comply

Okay, it's their fault for not believing me. Their governments are aware Australia doesn't issue visa labels any more, but these governments do not instruct their officers properly.

>We're Australia muh duh
>The rest of the world doesn't matter
>Everybody uses visa labels but muh technology, we is so good
>Noice mate
>>
File: Mongolia border crossing.jpg (529 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Mongolia border crossing.jpg
529 KB, 900x600
>>1081906
>>pic related
>>
Dont be a black Guy wearing a purple beret at pulkovo airport..
>>
Trying to get a 30 day voucher. A travel agency told me that the Russian consulate might deny a visa application based on not having a hotel reservation that lasts as long as your voucher, unless your voucher is for less than 2 weeks total, in which case no one will check it and it will get approved.

Can I pay for a month-long hotel reservation just for the sake of having the valid document, get the visa with it, but then cancel whenever to get my money back? Surely this a normal endeavor and won't bite me in the ass?
>>
File: russian_tourist_exp.gif (100 KB, 753x510) Image search: [Google]
russian_tourist_exp.gif
100 KB, 753x510
>>1082385

i got 3rd party visa support, which is basically fake reservations you choose the dates for. consulates know this and don't care as long as it's from an approved source. in the UK at least. the fake hotels you put on there don't show up on the visa document itself.
>>
>>1081906
Quality story, friend! I don't even know what a visa label is, but then again I haven't applied for any visas.

>>1081907
Cool picture. I think Mongolian is the only non-slavic language that uses the Cyrillic script and as a reader of that script I get thrown off, this just reads "ZOGS" to me, which means jack shit in slavic languages baka desu senpai
>>
>>1082385
bump
>>
>>1082523
As I recall either Kildin Sámi uses Cyrillic letters, but also have a few odder letters mixed in.
>>
File: Brazil_visa_and_stamps.png (3 MB, 1418x981) Image search: [Google]
Brazil_visa_and_stamps.png
3 MB, 1418x981
>>1082523
>I don't even know what a visa label is
When you get a visa, they usually stick something on a couple of Passport pages. Pic is an example.

But some 1st World country have started to go digital.
This works fine when you are *within* the country.
Not so well when you are visiting another country and they ask you to prove you have an X passport but live in a Y country.

E.g.
>you are German but live in Australia.
Australia gives you a visa.
>Mongolia requires proof of your German Passport AND Australian visa before issuing a Mongolian visa.
>This works fine when you deal with the Mongolian embassy in Australia
>Not so well once you get the Mongolian visa, but some fucking bureaucrat suddenly decides to apply the rules verbatim and ask you for proof of Australian visa
>He won't accept prints of your visa grant notification
>He won't accept you giving him credentials to log in on the website and show him your Aussie visa

Frankly, most of the time these bureaucrats are just doing foul play to get you to pay some kind of bribe.
However, in that specific scenario I blame lack of proper instructions (after all, is a local officer supposed to know the visa rules of all countries in the world?) and lack of technology.

Whatever.
>>
>>1082669
>>Not so well once you get the Mongolian visa, but some fucking bureaucrat suddenly decides to apply the rules verbatim and ask you for proof of Australian visa
Forgot to add:
>Once in Mongolia...
>>
I'm also going to Russia this summer but realized I don't know what I'm doing. I was going to be buying the plane tickets very soon, but remembered I don't yet have e the visa. This is the first time I'm going to a country where I can't just role in and say hi. The visa doesn't look easy like the Vietnam visa either.
May seem like a stupid question, but what the fuck do I do to go to Russia? I was planning going in for a mo th or more to explore the country but the visa stuff loks like I'm supposed to have a place booked for the whole stay. What if I'm only planning on staying in one city for like a week or two when i arrive in the country and can have something booked for that, but afterwards I don't have hard dates for plans other than make my way across the country?

Tl;Dr
How do I plan entry to Russia as an American?
>>
I went to Russia, bur as a Brazilian, I didn't need a visa. The only thing the guy in airport asked me was "Tourism?" I said yes and just this.

After that, I read on internet even Russians need to register if they spent more than 3 days in a different city.
>>
who on /trv/ had been to norilsk?
i need you help with entry permits.

i know it's going to cost a lot, just don't really know who to go to and/or bribe to get in there. is getting into the mining business the only way, really?
>>
>>1081686
>>1082385
>>1082520
>>1082793
This is really annoying how it's unneccessarily complicated.
Like you need a hotel for the registration voucher but the voucher for a hotel reservation

If someone has experience and can suggest the easiest way, please go ahead. I'd like to do it without giving money to 3rd parties if possible
>>
File: 41671.png (76 KB, 1218x286) Image search: [Google]
41671.png
76 KB, 1218x286
>>1081906
Oh and I forgot pic related :D
>>
bump for info and stuff
>>
I'll arrive to Moscow tomorrow. I keep hearing it's a good time because the ruble is so cheap. What are the best ways to take advantage of this situation? How can i make my money more worthy while I'm in Russia? In my account i have euros.
>>
>>1083404
Go out to eat (If you've never tried Georgian food go. Khachapuri and lobio are my favorites), hit the sights if you want. Never went to a club in Moscow but if that's your scene it could be a good time.
>>
>>1083524
Thanks, i was actually thinking of trying Georgian food, I'll write those ones down!
>>
>>1082898
>If someone has experience and can suggest the easiest way, please go ahead. I'd like to do it without giving money to 3rd parties if possible
I read basically most travel agencies will book you a "fake" hotel or an empty room somewhere remote where the price is close to zero and will use it as evidence of invitation.
>>
Are Russian ATMs... legit? Or just mostly?

Do they even accept any visa or only select banks?
>>
>>1083663
Depends on where they are. I always stuck with Sberbank (Cбepбaнк) or VTB-24 (БTБ-24) that were located in the bank itself or in a mall. I'm sure there are others, but those are the two I remember.
>>
>>1083663

Is English your first language? This is barely readable.

Of course they take foreign bank cards. You aren't an American traveling to Cuba.

Also if you are actually worried about this, wouldn't it be smart to ask your bank? Shouldn't you be notifying them that you are traveling abroad anyhow?
>>
>>1083524
Thanks for the tip, anon, today i went to khachapuri and it was very good.

First day in moscow, nice and sunny weather. The kremlin is really imposing but they've put a fucking ice skating place on thr Red Square that ruins the whole historic mood.
>>
>>1084290
I'm glad to hear. I didn't know they did ice skating on the square, that is a shame. If you want to try the old Soviet style of eating out, Stolovaya №57 is located in the GUM. I'll admit, it feels a bit touristy, but I enjoyed the food.
>>
File: 517.jpg (8 KB, 248x233) Image search: [Google]
517.jpg
8 KB, 248x233
Pyccкий itt, ama related to travel.
I've been to ~50 other countries, so "...how is X in Russia compared to X in Anonistan" works as well
>>
>>1084382
What?
>>
>>1084382
Do Vokzal Rizhskiy trains go south of Moscow or west only
>>
>>1081686
Never registered, been to Russia for probably ten times. Last time was 6 years ago though.
>>
>>1084290
Another guy living in Moscow here. One of my favourite restaurants right now is 'Voronezh' (Bopoнeж) right by Kropotkinskaya metro. In the downstairs deli they serve a killer pastrami on rye for under 400RUB, perfect lunch spot.
>>
Had a dream about my extremely qt tour guide at lake baikal, she's so sweet, I'll never see her again
>>
If anyone ever thought of going to Penza (why the fuck would you wanna come here it's shit), I'll be your discount interpreter, if you can speak English!
>>
>>1081810
yes but what about the churkas atacking you? Or some Gopnik in the night? How safe is Moscow/ St.Petersburg?
>>
Anyone know if you can buy tickets after you've already boarded a russian train? At the conductor for example
>>
>>1086511
Only on short distance local trains. If you manage to board the train without a ticket. In big cities and major stations where you are ikely to be there are always turnslides at the entrance to the platform, but on small stations sometimes there isn't even a ticket office, so in this case the ticket is sold by the conductor.
On long ditsnace trains once it was possible to get a place for a bribe (the conductors let such passengers sleep in their own compartment), but this is nowadays pretty unlikely. You can still get upgraded to a better coach for a bribe though.
>>
I am traveling aboard for the first time to meet friends in Moscow, Russia. The only thing I have left to do is apply for the visa, I want to make sure I plan and submit everything correctly but I do have questions. There was many different visas and I've been receiving different information on which visa I will require. The stay is planned for 2 weeks.

Long story short: She mentioned a tourist visa may not suitable for me, it is mostly suitable for people visiting Russia with the help of traveling agencies. As the Russian agencies told me, the most proper way for you to visit is to get a private visa. To provide with following documents:

- a copy of your US passport
- a filled application form (they said it must be filled in Russian so I need to clarify it tomorrow)
- medical insurance valid in the country to be visited and fully covering the period of the first trip.
- a bank statement
- a statement from the employer regarding your wages for the preceding year/ half year, or month
- documents regarding your ownership of property in the US
- a certificate on the makeup of your family

My question is, should I apply for a private visa or a tourist? Do I really need health insurance? What exactly is a certificate for the makeup of my family?
>>
>>1086863
I'm traveling from United States as well.
>>
>>1086180
Churkas are peaceful, unless you are really unlucky or go directly into their habitat (which is nontrivial)
At daytime cities are generally safe, even the industrial zones. At night that depends on the part of the city - some are better, some are worse. Centers are mostly ok. The worst you may encounter are drunk russians who want to communicate, but not exactly hostile. Though I can imagine someone beating you as you don't speak russian.
>>1086863
Making visa through an agency is preferrable, otherwise it's too much paperwork.
>>
>>1086863
You can have a visa agency get a traveling invitation for you, but it'll just cost extra.
>>
>>1086863
Private visa way too much hassle. It's really intended for people staying as a guest in someone's home. Really don't do it, find a way to get a tourist visa. It's really not just for tour groups - I've even been on a business trip on one, but this was above board as there was no deals being formally arranged or agreed.
>>
>>1086863
Like everyone else said, just don't bother. Go with an agency, it's your best bet. Russian paperwork is a nightmare. The one I dealt with registration in a different city was pure headache for myself and the person I stayed with. Duplicate paperwork, filled in full without a mistake. Same for my host.

I cannot even imagine what it is like with the visa itself.
>>
Hello. I've booked flight to visit my friend outside moscow at the end of the month so I'm currently trying to figure out how to apply for visa. It's just over 3 days, weekend visit.

I'm confused about what type of visa to get exactly. I thought about personal visit but that requires me to enter her information and she doesn't want that because she says she doesn't know what's required of her then. What other kind of visa should I get that's easy to apply and get accepted for? There's one where I have to inform which "travel company" I'm going with but I think that's more for chartered trips which is not what I'm doing so I don't know. I just feel really lost about what to do.
>>
The height thread on /trv/ made me wonder this: I'm 6'4'', will I be able to comfortably occupy a bunk bed in a Russian train? I'm 75kg (165lbs), will there be problems?
>>
>>1087463
Weight is no problem, massive middle aged women twice your weight cram their fat asses on them all the time.

If you ride coupé, your feet will be pressed against the wall (though I never rode coupé so maybe the beds are a bit bigger). With platzkart there's a 2/3 chance your feet will be able to dangle into the aisle. That said you'll going to want to pull them in because people WILL bump into when walking day & night.

As for top or bottom bunk, they're both a double edged sword. Bottom isn't typically as hot and that's a huge plus all year round. In my experience you also get "rights" on the table though most should share. The downside being your neighbors will also want to sit there and if your stuck with some blydo or conscripts they could be up all night drinking and chatting. Top a bit more private from those below but you get less space vertically and it can be as hot as a fucking banya up there.
>>
What kind of stuff should be said to working class Russians to be seen as one of their own?

I'm gonna try:
>I have Russian family in {Target city}, we were separated by war long ago
>{My country of origin} is just iphones and money, no culture anymore, it's sad how times changed
>Red Army won ww2
>I'm actually 75% Russian

I know this is racist but I just wanna be ready for anything

>>1087300
Most people just get a tourist visa for anything
>>
>>1087496
Buy them a drink and you're already friends
>>
>>1087496
Just be genuine. Show an interest in what they say. And like >>1087498 said, buying a drink helps.

One of my favorite times was when I and some mates went to a football match. The guys next to us heard us speaking English and we got to talking (or trying to in broken English/Russian). They were some true, grade A blydo type. After we lost the match we all went had some drinks. Even went to their auto-garage for shashlik and the most disgusting pickled mushrooms I ever had.
>>
>>1087498
This. Share vodka (take a bottle with you), and snacks. Don't put yourself or your counry down unless you really mean it, don't pretend to be Russian if you're not - you'll be an object of curiosity and more like affection than hatred, in almost all cases
>>
File: 1438238350274.jpg (76 KB, 424x750) Image search: [Google]
1438238350274.jpg
76 KB, 424x750
>>1086863
>all that paperwork
Holy crap. I didn't realize Russia required that much. Do they seriously think that Americans are going to illegally emigrate there in droves?
>>
>>1087496
I'm a Russian from a poor family. Honestly, your second point is the most patronising shit I have ever heard. I know a lot of people who whould punch a cunt like you
>>
>>1087608
I'll refrain from it then, thanks!
>>
>>1082806
>even Russians need to register if they spent more than 3 days in a different city.
lol, it is not true. About 2 months.
>>
Can anyone recommend some good restaurants? And also some nice bars (rooftop is good). How much in RUB are meals out costing? At nice places. Also, how much are drinks/cocktails at good bars?

I'm staying near Tverskaya.

Thanks!
>>
>>1087593
>Holy crap. I didn't realize Russia required that much. Do they seriously think that Americans are going to illegally emigrate there in droves?
No, they just are reciprocating in visas for the fact that spying goes on both ways.
>>
>>1088186
>I'm staying near Tverskaya.
You have Cafe Pushkin right on your doorstep, it is quite well known in Moscow. Breakfast and lunch there are reasonable - the dinner menu is a bit rich for my blood. You can check out the menu + prices on their website.

Jamies Italian is good for a reasonably priced, but decent feed. Mains for two, alcoholic beverages and dessert there will come in at around 2500RUB. You can find it on the second floor of the shopping mall that is connected to the Four Seasons.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Deli at Voronezh (Kropotkinskaya Metro) which is nice and they also have more formal dining upstairs which is worth a look.

Be warned that Monday and Tuesday are public holidays, so for any decent place you will need a reservation for the dinner sittings. Lunch you should just be able to show up.

Sorry, my bar hopping days are over so I don't have many good tips for those. I do like Hard Rock on Old Arbat if they have live music on and they are competitively priced for drinks (350RUB for pints of beer and basic cocktails). They are open 24hours on the weekends, but is probably best as a pre-drinking place. Don't bother with the food there, it is mediocre and overpriced.
>>
>>1088193
Thanks, I was told Cafe Pushkin is jut a really touristy place? Is the food actually good? We have Jamie's in the UK so maybe I'll look for something more interesting. Are most restruants around this area going to be about 3000 for dinner for two?

How are the prices in supermarkets in this area (if there are any?). For simple things like milk, bread, cereal, snacks

Thanks
>>
>>1088199
>Thanks, I was told Cafe Pushkin is jut a really touristy place?
It is definitely popular with tourists, but I know plenty of people local to Moscow who frequent it as well. The food is good for what it is - predominately Russian professionally prepared from quality ingredients. Most people who don't like Russian cuisine just haven't had well cooked Russian food.

>>1088199
>We have Jamie's in the UK
Fair call.

>>1088199
>about 3000 for dinner for two
Yes, that will be what you are looking at, unless you start going nuts ordering bottles of wine or eating massive steaks. You can definitely find cheaper if you go for some of the cheaper/chain restaurants.

>>1088199
>How are the prices in supermarkets in this area (if there are any?). For simple things like milk, bread, cereal, snacks
I don't shop inside the Garden Ring, so I couldn't say for sure what the prices are like. They are probably more than what I pay but as guide:

Milk - 80RUB/L
Bread - 70RUB for a loaf of bread that doesn't suck.
Cereal - 100RUB/300g box.

Snacks are going to vary depending on what you want.

If you want to hit up a decent size supermarket, take the metro to Universitet on the red line. They have an 'Auchan' supermarket right there by the metro station. While you are out there you can go to the Stalin building on the Moscow State campus, swing by Sparrows Hill for a view over the city and grab some tickets for the 'Great Moscow Circus' (if that is your kind of thing).
>>
Anyone know the process of crossing the border to Russia by bus?

I understand everyone aboard the bus needs to fill an immigration card with personal info. What about luggage? Does the bus driver have to disclose that, or does everyone aboard have to?
>>
>>1088303

I've entered Russia by train from Finland and the customs women merely pointed at my luggage and asked if it was mine and nodded and moved on
>>
I got the visa but sth came up, can I cancel my trip without repercussions? Wondering if there's bureaucratic shit even now lol
>>
Hello, when I'm trying to fill the form, I picked tourism visa. Now it asks me for "travel company". What do I put here? I just ordered tickets and I'm going to visit a friend over a weekend. She doesn't want me to give the state her information (I didn't ask why). What do I do? What do I put?
>>
>>1088626
Clarification, I have booked flights and a hotel room already.

Can I put the booking number from the hotel maybe?

I just don't understand what I'm supposed to put here.
>>
>>1088626
You have to get an invitation from the hotel and use that information to fill out that section.
>>
Brazilian here.

Russia is easy time but what about Belarus? It seems a pain to get their visas.
>>
Brazilians do not need a russian visa because those countries are buddies.

The issue with Belarus is the shortage of information to pass through the country. Their consulate says that brazilians arriving at the Misk airport need no visas but they say nothing about arriving on the country by train.

I plan to go from London to Vladivostok by train someday. Passing through Belarus is the shortest route.
>>
Which Trans-Siberian is the best Trans-Siberian?

> [ ]Starting from London.
> [ ]Starting from Paris.
> [ ]Starting from Finland.
> [ ]Starting from ?
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.