[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vancouver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg (212 KB, 1280x486) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg
212 KB, 1280x486
Traveling with a coworker there. She's been there before and this is my first time going - but when we went to Chicago, we had a lot of fun because I got to also show her some places I knew.

Does /trv/ know of any fun places to explore in Vancouver? We hit the entire spectrum: we love small dive bars with bad beer and we also enjoy fancier places to drink and dance. Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.
>>
Take her to the Capliano suspension bridge during the day, it's even good in the rain
then go to the Narrow lounge on Main st
>>
>>1081193
Wow, both places look amazing. Thank you!
How is the Capilano bridge, exactly? Is it a day trip? Something we can cover in a few hours? We'll most likely be busy until end of day, possibly one of the days we'll be able to go out midday for some traveling. Narrow Lounge looks like exactly the kind of stuff she loves.
>>
>>1081194
I got you homes.

Capilano Suspension Bridge: A very thin bridge that goes across a river way down below. A couple of hours, maybe 2-3, should do it. Bring your camera.

In Vancouver, I'd recomend:
-Any art gallery: They're pretty common and pretty good.
-Vancouver Aquarium: Our local aquarium, and it's very pretty. Not much to say, apart from go there to see our sea life.
-Vancouver Port: Man, anything on the waterfront is really cool. Just looking over it is nice. Find a bench and just watch the boats go on by.
-Grandville Island: A ferry boat ride away, Grandville is a pretty nifty and quaint place, but it is a tourist trap. Be warned. Still pretty though.
-Steamworks Brew-Pub: My personal favourite restaurant in Van. It's all train themed and rustic.
-Playland: Our amusement park. It's pretty nifty if you like that kind of thing.

If I think of anything else I'll put them up here. Are you cool with leaving Vancouver, or do you just want to stay in the big city?
>>
File: 126784635654732562.jpg (175 KB, 607x566) Image search: [Google]
126784635654732562.jpg
175 KB, 607x566
>>
>>1081198
Great stuff, thanks - so she's traveled to Vancouver probably every year for the business trip we're running, so she's most likely attended some of the more common stuff like the port and Aquarium. Hell, I get the impression she might already even know about >>1081193's Narrow Lounge. In past business trips, our favorite times were when we A. found a new brewery/restaurant/event that we loved, or B. stuff she hasn't done yet - everything is novel to me as this is my first time traveling to all these shows, so seeing her happy to discover some new stuff is the best part.

How far away is the Bridge from the downtown area? Leaving the city sounds pretty fun, but we will NOT have cars so I'm hesitant to stray too far. We uber everywhere so it's not out of the question, but we'd need to be REALLY enticed to go far out of our way. Steamworks sounds perfect, it's become tradition at this point to visit a brewery in each trip. And Grandville Island also sounds pretty cool, just how touristy IS it? Is it worth checking out? Any cool views or exclusive restaurants over there?

Thanks again for all of these, I'm writing all this stuff down to plan a route later this month.
>>
>>1081213
It's really easy to get around the Lower Mainland without a car, the buses and trains are decent. If you like quaint historical things, you may enjoy heritage village in Burnaby.
>>
>>1081213
For referance, I'm going to use Stanley Park.

The Bridge is in North Vancouver. There is a bridge that you need to cross to get over to the north side. It's only a couple of Km north of the park, and not too long of a drive.

Pic Related

Grandville is super touristy. Everything is quite pricy, and tailored to outsiders. That being said, it's still pretty beautiful. I'd go regardless if I were you. I haven't been there in years, but I'm pretty sure it's still the same. Last I went, there was a large fish/super market though, and that's cool.

If you can find a way, go to White Rock. It's probably 30-45min south of Vancouver, and there's a big beach stretch that goes on forever. It has a great nightlife and the pier at night is super cool. Most importantly though, there's a little Fish and Chips shop called Moby Dick's that oozes flavour, be it from the food or atmosphere.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=moby+dick+fish+and+chips&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=641&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjr7onpz_vKAhUG6WMKHavxDMEQ_AUICCgC

Another place you can go to is Horseshoe Bay, which is a small town 30minutes north of Vancouver that hosts a ferry terminal. There's not much to do there, but there is a bunch of fancy seafood restaurants and a great view on a hot sunny day.

You say you'll be going in March? Where are you from?
>>
>>1081250
Adding on to that, how long are you guys staying for?

>>1081234
This guy is right, transit is pretty good.

There's also the Queen Elizibeth Theatre, which hosts operas and stuff. I went there last year for a showing of Don Giovani and that was great.

If you guys want quaint, you could go to Fort Langley and see how the voyageurs (people who crossed Canada) lived and bartered. It might be a bit far (1hr east ish)
>>
There's also a couple rotating diners on top of some big buildings, but I've never been due to lack of funds. I've heard that they're hit and miss, but /rotating restaurants/.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rotating+restaurant+vancouver&oq=rotating+restaurant+vancouver&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8671j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8
>>
>>1081234
That's good to know. I'll be on the lookout for train options
>>1081250
I'll be going end of March for only like four days tops. And like I said we'd be busy most of the day, so we'll probably be going out at night after work...I really want to check out this bridge, photos look amazing - I just wanna make sure if we do visit that or White Rock, it's a good nighttime idea. Also, just curious, how are Ubers up in Vancouver? We used them everywhere in Montreal, can we wander for a bit and know we can get an Uber back to the downtown area?
>>
>>1081250
Oh and we're from Michigan!
>>
File: Bloedel Floral2.jpg (181 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Bloedel Floral2.jpg
181 KB, 640x480
Have you heard of the Macmillan Bloedel conservatory?

There's a big geodesic dome on top of a hill, with a tropical forest inside. The same hill also has a nice garden, fancy restaurant and pitch and put golf course. It's an easy walk off of the Canada line.
>>
Vancouver, and all of BC don't allow uber. They're probably going to change the law soon though. Canada in general is a lot more ok with restricting the supply of stuff to keep prices high for the people who work in it.

Taxis are ok, but a little expensive. The city is mostly built on a good grid with public transportation rarely more than 5 blocks away.
>>
>>1081188
Go to Steamworks Pub, order a pizza

Best restaurant in the entire lower mainland
>>
>>1081336
This looks beautiful, thank you! I think she will like this a lot.
>>1081339
Shoot! That's too bad, Uber is so convenient...I guess I'll keep addresses in mind when I get there so I can get the cab driver there.
>>1081434
I definitely plan on going to Steamworks, I'll try the pizza. Any flavors you fancy? Any suggestions?
>>
>>1081204
LMAO
>>
By the way, the bridge closes at 5pm.
>>
>>1081270
The rotating restaurant's food is dog shit buffet style. Only worth it for the constant turning
>>
>>1081679
Just what I always wanted.

Wouldn't one get sick whilst they're on the spinny thing?
>>
>>1081681
No, it goes around slowly and a full rotation takes roughly an hour.
>>
I dont know if the ivanhoe or marble arches are still open, but i had some good times there years ago
>>
Bump for more ideas. On the way back from Whistler and staying there for a day and a night in Downtown. No car or anything so if theres anything within walking distance would be great.
>>
>>1082038
Science World? It's kind of childish but worth checking out if you find it on a free day.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.