[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
first travel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0387.jpg (197 KB, 800x597) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0387.jpg
197 KB, 800x597
Hello.I apologize for my poor English.
I am a Japanese 27-year-old.
I go to Vienna and Prague for a trip a few days later.

But,I have not been for overseas travel and can't speak other language.

Please give me some advice.
>>
don't worry, poor English is good enough
>>
With your current level of English you should be able to hold conversations. Just enjoy your time there, do not let your language hold you back.
>>
>>1079265
You have never been travelling overseas before?
>>
>>1079265
Vienna - cafés
Prague - beer

Idk, what sort of advice do you need?

Brace yourself for pickpockets and the like. Any East Asian people I meet, I try to prepare them for the fact that Europe is safe, but not as safe as where they may be coming from.

Poor English is all you need there. Or not even that. A lot of the Czech/Austrians will speak worse English than you, soon enough you'll be used to pointing at stuff.
>>
>>1079275
Thank you.
I'm afraid of miss communication.
>>
>>1079281
I can write English a little.
But can't speak English.

Though travel is uneasy, I will enjoy it.
Thank you.
>>
>>1079458
Yes.
Besides, I go alone.
>>
>>1079458
Is it that hard to believe? Many cant afford to
>>
>>1079466
Thank you for your advice.
I am careful about a pickpocket.

Please tell me about a tip.
There is no culture of the tip in Japan.
>>
>>1079512
15% of the price

less if they are bad
>>
>>1079513
For example, when should I hand the tip at a restaurant?
When I order it, hand it to a waiter?
>>
>>1079519
Lol I'm sorry but that's a really funny image. The waiter's reaction would be priceless.
No, you leave the tip on the table when you get up to leave the restaurant
>>
>>1079512
>>1079519
10% max. Usually you round to an higher number.
Like if your bill is 22.80 you give 24 or 25.

If you pay cash you just leave on table, by credit card you say to the waiter the amount you'll pay.

If random people talk to you in the streets or tourist places it's mostly a scam or just asking you money. The best way is to not even look at them or say "not interested".

Where will you sleep ? Hostels are good if you want to meet people.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 600x800
>>1079265
Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Any advice for me from one nihon-jin to another?
>>
>>1079508
Alright, I guess we're gonna stick to the basics then. From the top of my head:

1. Your passport is worth its weight in gold, as it's the only internationally recognized ID. Hold on to it for dear life, but know that you can always contact the Japanese embassy in the country you're visiting in case you lose it.

2. Be early at the airport, especially if you're unfamiliar with how they function. A couple of hours before take-off should be alright. Larger airport -> more time.

3. Avoid random people in the street being over-friendly towards you, they usually run a scheme.

4. After you've packed your bag(s), remove some spare clothes. Overpacking is a normal thing to do. You don't need it all, plus you're probably gonna need some space for the stuff you buy at your destination.

5. Pickpockets are frequent in Europe, keep your valuables safe. They can be pretty cheeky at times, your best bet is to keep your hands in the same pockets as your valuables.
>>
>>1079527
I see.
I leave tips on a table not to surprise a waiter.

Thank you.
>>
>>1079590
Thank you for some advice.
It is necessary for me to make it more careful.
Probably the tourist will be easy to be targeted.

The reservation of the hotel of several days is made.
I am examining it on a remaining day.

The hostel seems reasonable prices ( :
>>
>>1079682
Remember to ask the waiter if the tip granted is satisfactionary
>>
>>1079597
Do you need my advice?
I am sorry if I make a mistake since I cannot understand English very well.

I do not have the knowledge about the game designer really.
So,I talk about only the everyday life of Japan.

You may know a lot about the Sengoku and the Edo era about a samurai than me.

But,I think that you should stop wearing a kimono in downtown of Japan.
Because,almost people don't wear the kimono.
It is weared at the time of festival at the present time.

There are a lot of people whom samurais like in Japan.
I think when you meet them, you should wear the kimono.

And I recommend that I go to the university in terms of age not a high school.

I am, and thank you for liking Japan.
But,In the same way as other countries, there are a good things and a bad things in Japan.
I am glad after having understood it if I grant a dream.

It is all in this that I can say. sorry.
>>
>>1079601
Thank you for writing it finely.
I always hang passports on a neck and intend to put it inside of clothes.
I take the memo of the phone number of the Japanese Embassy.
There are some people who advise me on a pickpocket.
I'll be careful.
>>
>>10940275
Most polite answer to pasta I've ever seen

I wish you luck in your travels!
>>
>>1079741
Meant for >>1079703
>>
This tip on the table thing, I don't know who said it first, but explain yourselves. You clearly haven't been to the Czech Republic too much. You do not leave the tip on the table. They will think you didn't want to give a tip, and then some other person might take it before the waiter does. The leave it on the table thing might fly in Western Europe or the US, but in Eastern Europe?!

Also if it's foreigners, tipping is not taken too seriously anyway. We don't expect you to know tipping culture, and so you don't need to worry about it too much anyway.
>>
>>1079597
>>1079703
I'm not even sure who's trolling who anymore
>>
Don't tip in Europe. I don't know why they're telling you about the 15% rule and so on: all this stuff is only valid in America. Tipping basically disappeared from the "Old World", just pay whatever the bill is and you'll be fine. Even a €1 tip for ANY meal would be more than I tipped for my entire life...
>>
>>1079796
Tip if the meal deserves it
>>
This thread is triggering me
>>
>>1079741
Thank you.
I'll enjoy travel.
>>
>> everyone
Thank you for tell me about tips.
There are various opinions about it.

On first inspection,I think that the places where do not need a tip increase at the European restaurant.
But,I will not know the restaurant needs tips or not.

So,I'll pay fees including fraction.
And if I like the dish,I leave 10-15% tips on the table.

Is there a problem in this?
>>
>>1079880
Everyone in the rest of the world will seem varying degrees of rude/abrasive and far too comfortable to you. Tipping is the least of your worries desu senpai.
>>
>>1079880
>And if I like the dish,I leave 10-15% tips
That is the correct way of tipping in Europe
>>
>>1079265
I have been living in Prague for 2 years.

People mention pickpocketing a lot but I would not be too afraid of that, one junkie actually tried to pick my valet from my pocket but it was early in morning in tramway while I was almost sleeping so looked like easy victim. But in normal situation you are fine, careful while in huge crowds tho.

In regards to the tipping, you order something, you ask for check, they say for example 90CZK i say 100 and give them the money, or just say keep the change.

Not huge tip is expected, usually more in terms of rounding the value to have it easier to get change. I would say 5-15% is fine.

You tip only in restaurants.
No tips in fast-foods, taxi (because they are likely overprice their service anyway), stores etc...

We Czechs are very proud of our beer, pretty girls (and hockey) so if you will talk to someone if you mention that it will result in smile.

Do not be surprised if you are mistaken for Vietnamese as there is quite big Vietnamese community in CZ and not many can differentiate between the people of different Asian nations.

Anyway its pretty laid off here, so do not worry much, should you do or say something strange people will at most give you a bad look.

If you will feel that people are not smiling to you or seem distant its because we usually are bit colder with strangers, not like that we do not like them but just not giving a fake smile just to make an impression.

Anyway I hope you are going to enjoy your stay!
>>
>>1079868

楽しんで!
>>
Nobody has yet mentioned the prostitutes. Vienna and Prague have many good quality, legal brothels. If you have ever wanted to fuck a blonde white girl with big tits, this is your chance. Go to a brothel and have fun. It's like soapland but a lot better. And more expensive.
>>
>>1079944
You can't generalize Europe like that. In Scandinavia there is no tipping.
>>
>>1079796
>>1079797
These two. Tip if the service was good or if you plan on coming back and hit on the waitress. Otherwise no. Noone will give a shit if you don't tip.
>>
>>1079265
Lovely choices, I hope you like beer and fat salty food. If not you'll learn to.
>>
>>1079682
hhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnggg

Out of water culture scenarios are too cute for me.
>>
>>1079888
The tip may be surely a trifling problem.
But it was uneasiness that I did not know it.

I might worry too much.
arigatogozaimasu(thank you.)
>>
>>1079952
Thank you for some good advice.
The beer is one of the reasons why I go to Prague for!
I did not know the Czech woman.
There's one more thing to look forward to. ( :

I am careful not to be timid very much.

I will enjoy staying Czech.
Thank you.
>>
>>1079961
ありがとう!楽しんでくるよ!
>>
>>1080037
I did not think that I got advice about a prostitute.lol
I knew that there were many beautiful women there.

I may check it if I have money and time to spare.
Thank you!
>>
>>1080109
Thank you for advice.
I intend to leave a tip basically in the restaurant near the hotel.
>>
>>1080110
Of course I like the beer!!
I look forward to the Czechs foods such as thevepřová pečeně.
>>
>>1080205
I just came back from Vienna. You should go to this club called GoldenTime. It's awesome. Lots of hot prostitutes.
>>
>>1079703
Japanese bro, I have some sad news, that man you responded to is a troll post, trying to gain your attention. Be wary of who you respond to on this site.
>inb4 spoonfeeding
>>
>>1079265
First, you should have better english skills. Do not act like a fucking idiot tourist, do not be naive and take precautions to avoid being robbed in the streets and other public places. Will you use prostitutes? Why go to Vienna and Prague? Are you a Europeboo?
>>
>>1079512
Only tip in USA, rest of the world it is not mandatory
>>
>>1079519
Wow, you are pretty dumb. You never give money to the waiter when its beggining to service you. Are you fucking stupid? Also I agree with the other anon that the reaction and mindfuck will be priceless. Why are you so dumb herbivore salaryman?
>>
>>1079682
Wow saying to not surprise waiter. Are japanese guys so isolated?
>>
>>1079686
Mate, at least stay at a good 3 or 4 star hotel. Why use a fucking ugly hostel?
>>
>>1079504
Miss communication can seem a bit harsh but shes a really nice girl once you get to know her.
>>
>>1079504
I am imaging yourself as a wimp spineless ugly fagot that is an hervibore and salary man
>>
>>1079590
in Germany and Austria:
students and poorfags can tip as low as 5%.
Well off tip 10%.
Only Americans and Russians tip more.

Generally, the way to tip is to leave some change on the table.
In Austria you pay at the table but if waiter doesn't show up (which he often does) you can also walk up to the counter and ask to pay.
For taxi I tip one Euro or similar amount.
>>
>tips anywhere outside the US
Are you slow?
>>
>>1079265
most europeans are ok at english
you should be fine
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.