[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thailand or Philippines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: WHICH.jpg (47 KB, 538x233) Image search: [Google]
WHICH.jpg
47 KB, 538x233
Sup /trv/,

I'm taking a month long vacation at the end of the year, I'll be leaving a week before Christmas and coming back around the 18th of January.

I'm trying to decide whether to divide my time between Thailand and the Philippines or just go to one.

My interests are hooking up (not paying for sex) good beaches, fun nightlife, wonders of nature, anything cool with animals, and just stuff that can't be done anywhere else.

Can anyone offer recommendations one way or the other? This will be my first trip to Asia.
>>
That period is one of the most expensive times to fly to Thailand, I not sure about the Phillipines.

Pros for Thailand: More "exotic", temples and stuff . Easier to hook up with non-Asians (slutty backpackers)

Cons: English is less prevalent. More expensive than Phillipines.

Phillipines pros: English more prevalent. Easier to hook up with Asians (not that Thais are particularly hard, but Phillipines is super easy). Cheapest than Thailand. Better beaches

Cons: Less exotic. Less infrastructure. Less modern. Food not as good.

I think the overall nature in the countries is a wash.

I'd honestly go to Phillipines first if yu plan to go at all, because people tend to be less impressed with the Phillipines if they have been to Thailand first, vice the other way around
>>
>>1078930
Thanks. What are the better airports Asia-side to get laid over in? My options seem to be Peking, Singapore, Dubai, Seoul, and Taipei.
>>
>>1079016
Peking. Kek. Most people in the 21st century call it Beijing, you know?

If you want a chance to leave the airport, I don't recommend Beijing or Seoul as all the major airports are a bit of a commute from the city. Singapore is quite close (because Singapore) so even with a few hours, you could go out and come back.
>>
>>1079016
Singapore is one of the nicest airports in the world
>>
>>1079158
>>1079187
Thanks. Yeah I keep hearing that about Singapore.

I'm divided between taking my holiday in December/January or April.

How crazy is it on Boracay around New Years?

April is also tempting because I hear that's when Pinay college girls are on break <3
>>
>>1079016
Singapore is shit, unless you're impressed by shiny lights and and clean streets.
I've lived here for 18 years, the people are lemmings and consider worshipping a building that looks like a boat as national pride.
Airport is decent, if you are at terminal 3. The others are old and shit.
Go to Japan or Korea. There's real culture there.
>>
>>1079215
Also look up boracay pub crawl, a friend of mine runs it.
It's a pretty good place to meet likeminded people.
I personally prefer Thailand, which gets awkward as my gf is from the Philippines.
>>
>>1079217
>I've lived here for 18 years
Sounds like a cool story. Doing what?

>>1079219
Yeah I was looking into that. I just wanna get fucked up and get some strange on the other end of the earth, ya know?
>>
>>1079221
Expat family, came here because of my dad's work. Was in Japan for two years before moving here in '98.
They repatriated last year, but I stayed on.

Singapore is a good base for trip hopping around the region, but seriously don't come here for more than a day or two, that's all you need.

I guess that's why I prefer Thailand, it's less than two hours away and provides a nice dose of chaos and reality that I can't get here. I'm sure you'll have a blast in whichever place you end up going. Tough decision though.
>>
>>1079225
That's cool.

I'm an Amerifag, is it hard to find work in Singapore? It seems like an awesome hub city, as you say.

What did your dad do? What do you do?

How far does the dollar go?
>>
Thailand is altogether better. More vibrant, historical, culturally interesting, better food..

The first poster did a pretty good run down of the pros and cons, but I would go with Thailand all the way.

The Philippines is pretty boring and is just poor as shit. Many of the streets are Africa tier. Not really sure why a country as diverse and with such an interesting history turned out so culturally bland, but it just is.

Even Boracay is overrated. It's jut a beach filled with Europeans and Aussies where everything is overpriced and the locals will absolutely do their damnedest to con/swindle you on excursions and diversions and shit (and why wouldn't they try).

If you're going to Thailand there's no shame in paying for girls. Why waste your time chasing what you perceive as non pros, when the chances are very high that any "normal" Thai girl has experience being pro at some point, moonlights, etc.

Hooking up in general is just paying for sex at any rate. You pay for your "going out to get laid" outfit, you pay the cover at the club, you pay for drinks, etc.
>>
>>1079251
Im a Danishfag myself, but don't really identify as one.
He was the managing director for a large german engineering firm, heat transfer equipment for marine, chemical & petrochemical etc industries.
I'm in the same company, operations manager overseeing assembly and distribution of our equipment.
Things are not cheap here, a gallon of milk is around $5, butter is like $8 for a pack - but you can eat out at relatively low prices and so is public transport. Tax is also pretty low, but housing, cars etc are astronomically expensive.

Tbh I don't think you'd be able to find a job just by travelling through and having a look. Generally expats/foreigners either as a result of being headhunted or as being posted by their parent companies into the regional divisions.
If you're looking for a 3 year stint where you can work your ass off, save up a bunch of money and pay little tax, I'd look to the middle east, not Singapore unfortunately.
>>
>>1079255
>Hooking up in general is just paying for sex at any rate. You pay for your "going out to get laid" outfit, you pay the cover at the club, you pay for drinks, etc.

This. I routinely bring this up whenever someone raises an eyebrow when I mention that I am not above paying for action.

Manginas, they really are something else.

But yeah, I'm not really looking for pros, I'm probably gonna meet a girl online a month before I arrive so I can fuck her brains out while I'm island hopping.
>>
Is the full moon party @ Koh Phangan any good?
>>
>>1079251
>>1079284
100 times this. Why hire a pleb that isn't even bilingual?
>>
If you're American, I'd recommend the Philippines.

There was some article I read recently that the people (not their respective governments) that love Americans the most are Filipinos. The ones who liked Americans the least were Pakistanis.

Also, consider the following...

This girl from country X has a big secret...
If country x = Philippines, the secret is she's underage
If country x = Thailand, the girl is actually a man with a dick bigger than yours
>>
>>1080767
Umm, don't believe the memes. Phillipines had more than their fair share of ladyboys and they are less likely to tell you. Did you not here about the one murdered by the US Marine that was convicted not too long ago?
>>
>>1079739
Pretty crowded but tons of fun if you're into these kind of massive drunk beach raves. I definitely enjoyed. Also the girls are rather easy around that time, specially the ones who keep it up past 5 am.
If you like trance raves, I would recommend the Half Moon party.
>>
>>1079298

What website would you recommend to meet said online girl? Planning on going to Thailand In september and gave this some thought.
>>
I used to go to thailand and when funds got low jump the lake to Philippines coz its half the price, also cambodia is up and coming.
>>
as far as favorite lay over, I like seoul Korea , check with asiana airlines, because 2 times I went with them and a long lay over they taxied me to a top rate hotel for the night with excellent dinner all for free. cant beat that.
never get an internet girl waste of time, Thailand has thousands of willing pussies just waiting for you why pre arrange someone who may be a dud. Philippines and cambodia same-same
>>
>>1080814
Interpals, Thaifriendly, Facebook, LINE are mine, but I am not the guy you are responding to. I hve seen Thais and Flips on MeetMe and Badoo as well, but i don't use them.
>>
>>1080829

Awesome I appreciate it !
>>
>>1080831
OKCupid is not to be overlooked either.

Start pipelining about three weeks to a month out you can easily have girls for weeks set up.
>>
File: TR_up_hill_artwork_dbloc_sized.gif (420 KB, 975x597) Image search: [Google]
TR_up_hill_artwork_dbloc_sized.gif
420 KB, 975x597
>>1079255
>. Not really sure why a country as diverse and with such an interesting history turned out so culturally bland, but it just is.

Not OP but someone who's also interested in South east asia travel, from my research i've also found this to be the case. You would think considering the Spanish, and Americans have been there they would have some good history museums or other interesting historical sites apart from forts.

Or does anyone else in the thread want to point out some that I'm missing?
>>
is this a meme?
>>
yeh! but philippinoes are not into museums and such like, lots a churches and go-go bars.
>>
>>1080815
What's there to do in Cambodia?
>>
>>1082834
Shoot cows with heavy weapons and fuck bitches for free to under $10
>>
I just spent 6 weeks in Thailand and 4 weeks in the Philippines. They're so different, it really depends on what you're looking for.

In Thailand you'll be part of a massive tourism machine, and you're not exotic at all to the Thai people in the places you'll actually go. The people outside of the tourist track typically can't speak any English. You'll end up hanging out with western travelers and paying for sex.

In the Philippines everyone speaks English to some degree, often fluent, and is extremely friendly and welcoming towards foreigners. You'll be exotic enough that you'll be stared at practically everywhere that's not a tourist hotspot, because tourism is minimal compared to elsewhere in SE Asia. Beaches and such are much less developed than Thailand, for better and worse.

But if you want to fuck local girls, the Philippines is hands-down the best place in the region. If you like short (~5ft) and thin girls that are the cute/sweet type, you'll be in heaven. In Thailand I mostly fucked whores, and in the Philippines I only fucked regular girls, each of which were much hotter than any of the whores I had in Thailand. Some of them would be marriage material if they lived in the US.
>>
>>1079298
That's a pretty poor argument in my opinion, but it really depends on what you enjoy most about sex in the first place. If you just want something that feels good on your cock then sure, go to a hooker, or jack off, it's basically the same thing. Fucking a girl for free (regardless of any expenses involved, which despite what you say are in no way required) involves a more mental side that makes the experience much more enjoyable, particularly if you have a good connection. I'm not above paying for it myself, but it's definitely poor tier sex.
>>
>>1082921
I find it a fund and mental thing to make a hooker want to fuck you to the where she fucks you for free, stays longer, gives discount, cooks for you in the morning, or you can just tell she enjoys. To me it creates a more mental connection and is more challenging than to pick up a regular chick for free. They always fuck for free, but you are getting someone who fucks all the time, who is desired, to desire you. You're getting someone who's product is time and sex to offer that to you. Added bonus, even when it's unsuccessful (which it rarely is for me at this point" you still fuck. Versus striking out with a regular chick and going home alone.
>>
>>1082932
Are you a philosopher? This is some incredible justification I'll use in the future.
>>
>>1082938
>justification
Still not going your own way, bro.

But really, if you're a westerner, especially an American, you shouldn't have to pay for sex in the Philippines unless you're morbidly obese, ugly, or autistic.
>>
File: 1362056605550.jpg (74 KB, 479x435) Image search: [Google]
1362056605550.jpg
74 KB, 479x435
>>1082932
>I find it a fund and mental thing to make a hooker want to fuck you to the where she fucks you for free

>not seducing the hooker into paying you by the hour
>>
>>1083755
That's kind of the point, that free sex with a "regular" chick is actually the easy mode that takes no skill and will have less of a connection in these places, especially the Phillipines. Hell, I have regular Filipina chicks randomly friend me on Facebook all the time, and I'm not even white
>>
>>1083840
>connection
>skill
Still not going you're own way bud. It's about getting your fuck on with the least investment. You're still letting what women think of you, and your relationships with them define you.

They don't matter. Marriageable women went extinct some time in the 1980s.
>>
Better to go to Philippines in April or October?
>>
>>1078901
Consider:
Philippines is a largely catholic country. In my experience people outside of Manila are pretty conservative and not interested in hooking up~

In Manila on the other hand I'd be afraid to hook up with anyone that seemed loose. I can't speak on behalf of Thailand however
>>
File: untitled-96.jpg (5 MB, 4501x3264) Image search: [Google]
untitled-96.jpg
5 MB, 4501x3264
>>1078901
Never been to Thailand, but if you head to the Philippines girls are pretty damn easy to pick up, there's an interesting nightlife in Manila and some of the other main cities, and some interesting places like Corregidor and some of the smaller islands. The downside is the infrastructure is pretty bad and out in the boonies it gets poor pretty fucking fast. But if you know the right people you can get a lot of access to high end places.
>>
Planning on traveling to the Philippines.
Where should one look if one is interested in culture, architecture, history and film?
>>
>>1086078
Hong Kong
>>
>>1080831
Not that anon, but i've heard good things about tinder as well.
>>
>>1086078
I only visited Manila and some of the boonies, but if you want historical the old Spanish quarter of Manila has most of the older stuff in the city and the Philippines in general. Plenty of museums and old cathedrals.
>>
Random question, is ~$800 a month enough to live off of in non-touristy parts of the Philippines? Also, is there any way to abuse the visa system and stay there indefinitely?
>>
>>1086696
It only have to have savings of 10K USD for a retirement visa, so I reckon so
>>
File: IMG_20141230_154307.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141230_154307.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2368
>hooking up (not paying for sex)
Philippines
>good beaches
Philippines
>fun nightlife
Philippines
>wonders of nature
Philippines
>anything cool with animals
Thailand
>stuff that can't be done anywhere else
Every single thing in the Philippines is a novelty. From the food to the shopping centers. Nothing is normal there.

Pic related is Rizal Park in Manila, Ph.
>>
>>1086742
>Rizal Park in Manila
Sorry, I went full retard. It's Picnic Grove in Tagaytay
>>
>>1086742
THe Philippines doesn't really have good beaches other than Boracay.

You can go ziplining in other places man.
>>
>>1086742
>confirmed for having been to the Phillipines and not Thailand

Phillipines is great if you have been there first, and I reckon you also have to compare city to city, but the countries as a whole Phillipines is not so good Thailand. Not that it's bad. That's why I recommend going there before Thailand
>>
Go to Thailand to party with other travelers. Every part worth going to is absolutely full of them.

Go to the Philippines to have flings with locals and make connections with non westerners. Or visit borocay if you really want to do the whole backpacker party thing, that's the only place it exists in the whole country.
>>
>>1081592
You just shoot random messages to girls that interests you saying you're a backpacker that wants some native guide?
>>
>>1086860
>saying you're a backpacker
No. Not only no, but fuck no.

Say you're vacationing, be yourself, and imply that you'll be in the country frequently whether that's true or not.
>>
Do hotels in these countries care if we take girls to the room with us?
>>
First time posting on /trv/ pls no bully, how much money do I need to have a decent 2 weeks vacation in Thailand?
>>
>>1087152
Not at all. Like... I don't think even super high end places care.

>>1087210
What do you want to do? $1000 is more than enough for pretty much anything.
>>
>>1087152
Not sure about the Philippines but in Thailand they'll probably ask the girl you're with for ID if you're in BKK/Pattaya
>>
>>1079016
C H A N G I
H
A
N
G
I
>>
Thinking of going to Cebu City (philippines) and one of the things I wanna do there is go scuba diving. Do I need to have any kind of certification to do this, also does anyone know how much it costs?
>>
Just go to vietnam senpai

i researched thailand and the phillipines and it ends up being that thailand is not as cheap as it used to be , Phillipines is super cheap but boring/bland

Vietnam has culture, nightlife , cheap as fuck and so much history its impossible to not find something to do.

That is of course in the main cities nad i mainly focused on HCM city.
>>
>>1088396
This
>>
>>1081682
The Philippines was decimated during ww1, a fubar situation that was worse than Vietnam tier.
>>
>>1088196
Yes, PADI is an international organization so you can get certified anywhere, so the cost varies. I intend to go there to get my master diver certification so I can work in tourist traps around the world.
>>
I have been to 16 countries in the world. Trust me, Thailand is the worst country I have been to.
>>
>>1089240
You must have been to some pretty shitty countries if Thailand was the worst
>>
>>1087210
The more info you give the better /trv/ can help.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.