[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
britbong here gonna be studying abroad at UT in austin next year,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 1.gif (100 KB, 540x348) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
100 KB, 540x348
britbong here
gonna be studying abroad at UT in austin next year, can anyone reccomend me some good stuff to do in austin, or advice on american uni in general?
>>
Why Texas mang? I mean it will be fun, and Austin is alright... but if you're coming to the US for a year why not live in NYC or Cali? did you get to choose?
>>
>>1078668
Northern California is okay...but socal is one of the worst places in the country as far as the people that live there go. I'll never understand why someone visiting the US would go there.

Austin is cool, plenty to do if you're into live music. 6th street is fun if you're into bar hopping. I can't say too much as I've only spent a weekend there.
>>
>>1078668
i chose based on academics mostly, UT was the best for my course that my uni had a study abroad program with
>>
>>1078670
what kind of music? i'm into lots of different stuff but it'd be cool where to go for specific genres and stuff
>>
>>1078670
What hell are you talking about man? I bet you are one of the bay area people that loves sniffing his own farts. Im from the bay area and now i live in socal. People are more or less the same. The bay area is filled with just as many jackasses. I actually like socal more cuz the weather is nicer. You can drive to the north or the south in 5-7 hours from either side anyway.
>>
>>1078670

lol what are you talking about wrt SoCal people? are you racist or uppity? what kind of people do you not like?
>>
>>1078646

are you 7/10 or better? at least have a decent body and tall?

bitches are gonna love that accent. party as much as possible man. you may find yourself gettin deep in cheeks several times a week.
>>
>>1078677
i'm like 5'11, i'm leaving in august so i have until the to get ripped, i'm not doing too badly atm, can bench 100kg, but i've gotta lose some weight
>>
>>1078681

yeah you're pretty strong.

try to buy student football tickets if you have the opportunity. I'm sure it's a huge part of student culture at UT.
>>
>>1078684
is american football actually any good? i've never watched it
>>
>>1078646

don't forget to tip your professors if you go to office hours for help.
>>
>>1078686
and clap as the plane lands yeah i know the etiquette
>>
>>1078685

it can be very exciting. the atmosphere will be amazing, especially in the student section. for example watch this video of Wisconsin's student section:

https://youtu.be/tODlPxhbGF8?t=44s

it wouldn't really be worth it to go to games if you don't have student tickets though. then you'll just be sitting with the older dudes.

main drawback of games is that they are long, and it will be hot out at the beginning of the season.

but yeah home game Saturdays will revolve around football at UT. wake up early, drink until gametime, go to the game, continue partying after.

also take full advantage of "welcome week" if it exists to any extent at UT... basically time between moving in and actually starting classes. if you're lucky you will have a few days to just get wasted and not worry about anything.
>>
>>1078695
when in rome
i can see why american university is so fucking expensive, a football stadium, my accommodation has a pool and a gym, free food
>>
>>1078699

nice. is it a dorm type of situation or apartment?
>>
>>1078673
You're right about it being filled with just as many jackasses, that's why I said it's only okay. Socal has nicer weather, sure, but is NorCal has the scenery.
>>1078675
I'm from the midwest and have spent ~3 weeks in both parts of the state. Those in the North seemed much more laid back, but in all honesty California in general is a shit state for shit people. And it's expensive as fuck.
>>
>>1078704
http://collegehouses.org/houses/pearl/
they call it a co-op, i thought america hated communism but whatever
>>
>>1078705

you still haven't said what kind of people you disliked in SoCal and why. also you threw in another generality:

>California in general is a shit state for shit people

it's expensive, yes. but also awesome. why do you think it's shit?
>>
>>1078707

nice, co ops at my school were more hippie/hipster types, and it looks like that is the case at UT too judging by the pictures. better than being surrounded by mainly freshman/sophs and having an RA watch over you in a dorm.

also do you think they noticed a titty was in the background of one of the pics on that website lol (pic related)
>>
>>1078711
apparently its "clothing optional"
yeah that photo sold me, tits and free barbecue by the pool, what more could i want?
>>
>>1078714

that sounds awesome but there's no way I could socialize with a naked babe like that... at least in the beginning. I would be staring way too much. gl bro
>>
>>1078716
i'm sure i'll work it out given a year
>>
>>1078670
Texan here. Austin is really fun and UT is a good school. Plus if you have a accent you will be a pussy magnet
>>
>>1078705

>from the Midwest
>spent three weeks there
>everyone is shit

Small brain , possible lead exposure as a child , Midwestern retard detected.
>>
Join a frat, greek life is insane. Austin is also an amazing city, lots of good bars and music. You'll have a good time if you're not socially inept or ugly.
>>
>>1078668
Shut it. The US is huge and there is much more to it than fucking New York and California. Man, NY and CAfags rub me the wrong way. They always act like their shit doesn't stink. NYC particularly is the most overrated shit ever. Some of us prefer not to live in a postage stamped size room for a gorillian dollars a month and step over hobo vomit everywhere. Nice trash piles too.

Anyway, OP, Austin is cool although culturally and politically unlike most of Texas, and Texas as a whole is cool. Definitely go to a Longhorns football game. Southern unis have god-tier qts. You're going to have a blast.
>>
>>1078646
Rain on 4th if it's still there.
>>
>going to ut, austin
im so sorry
>>
>>1078685
It's a complicated sport, until you"get it" it will seem like a lot of random obese people and niggers colliding into one another. It is more tense than anything, i.e. the ball will move a little bit up and down the field and change sides a bunch, then suddenly some little guy will run it clear across the field and everybody goes apeshit.

Whether or not you like the sport, or sports in general, the culture around it is full of beer and burgers and is as American as an atomic bomb... Basically if you don't go to these you are missing out on a huge huge huge cultural (for lack of a better word) event, itd be like going to Venice and not riding in a gondola...
>>
>>1078711
Damn nigga you are gonna get laid like a motherfuck.

Look at this shit. Full of slutty looking hippy chicks to do naked yoga with, and all the guys are creepy pakis or betas who pee their pants in photos.

Prepare your penis for a pussy parade, pal.
>>
>>1078982
Austin has some hotties but way too many weirdos.

OP you got plenty of time to enjoy Austin, I'm not going to recommend bars or clubs because thats shit you'll run into while there.
Visit
>Silver Spur (country dancing)
>Salt Lick
>Zilker Park and Barton Springs
>Inner Space and Natural Bridge caverns (many other natural caverns there)
>Garner State Park
>Bandera
>Fredericksberg (wine country)
San Antonio is nearby and a must visit too. Same with the Gulf Coast- Port Aransas and Corpus Christi.

Sadly, Austin has been invaded by hipsters and lost alot of it's Texan flavor- this may or may not be a good thing for you. Either away you'll enjoy your time here.
>>
>>1079038
>some hotties but too many weirdos
i live in brighton so i'm pretty used to that
>>
Hey, I live in Austin. Any questions bud?
>>
Are there many Irish people in Austin
>>
>>1079457
More people with German ancestry than Irish. As far as actually people from Ireland, I haven't meet one.
>>
>>1079451
i've heard austin has a good hiphop scene, any idea where i could go to hear some of that? or other live music?

preferably somewhere with local bands regularly
>>
>>1079470
I heard The Eastern had some stuff up that alley with affordable drinks.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.