[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most ambitious undertaking anyone on /trv/ has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 15
File: wYbByAh.jpg (197 KB, 1000x1539) Image search: [Google]
wYbByAh.jpg
197 KB, 1000x1539
What's the most ambitious undertaking anyone on /trv/ has ever done? Are there any real adventurers here?
Of the top of my head I can think of that anon who biked from Egypt to Ethiopia or somewhere, and then there's Africabro. Any other poster boys for NG in our ranks?
>>
I feel like anyone who is willing to exit their comfort zone and travel for more than a month is worthy to be called an adventurer. Because once you get back home, you'll find so few that are like you if any.
>>
The guy from /b/ who drove a jeep from France to Afghanistan was pretty wild.
>>
>>1077180
>>1077214
Requesting caps of the thread if anyone has some. I'm young, but i'd like to do one of these "epic travels" before i die. Seems like a nice life goal.
>>
Coolest thing I've done was hitchhike from Poland to Italy on 10 euro and a backpack with some food
>>
>>1077239

Please tell more. How long did that take?
>>
>>1077254
Not him, but it's doable in 2 rough days if you are lucky with your rides.
>>
File: autostop-nei-balcani.jpg (113 KB, 947x417) Image search: [Google]
autostop-nei-balcani.jpg
113 KB, 947x417
I hitch-hiked from Italy to Armenia and back, passing through Ukraine as well. This is a map of my journey. 9000 km by hitch-hiking, 1000 by train and marshrutka.
>>
File: SG8gxG0.jpg (276 KB, 1012x1230) Image search: [Google]
SG8gxG0.jpg
276 KB, 1012x1230
Weighing in with this one.
>>
>>1077300
Have to ask -- were you in Dubai in a rented SUV during the kite festival there? Met someone there following roughly this route, as near as I recall it.
>>
>>1077310
Nope, when I was in Dubai I was sleeping on a creepy Afghan dude's office carpet because everything was so expensive.
>>
>>1077180
Showed up in Japan with like 100 bucks and stole, scammed and cheated my way for 4 months until I ended up in jail during fucking Fukushima .
>>
>>1077300
How did you do this one? It looks amazing and I would love to do the same. Please share some stories!
>>
>>1077368
elaborate, please. sounds amazing
>>
>>1077238
I'm pretty sure I have this buried somewhere in the depth of my folders
He provided tons of pics, stories etc if I remember
Also a lot of hater saying it was either fake or just useless
>>
>>1077257
Pretty cool, could you share some pics ? I'm genuinely curious
>>
File: check.jpg (34 KB, 800x472) Image search: [Google]
check.jpg
34 KB, 800x472
IT'S HAPPENING
>>
File: patrick-bateman.gif (971 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
patrick-bateman.gif
971 KB, 500x490
>>1077777
Whoa.
>>
File: 554.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
554.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>1077777
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>1077781
>>1077788
>being impressed by a bateman get on a board as slow as /trv/
>mfw
>>
>>1077790
kek
>>
>>1077790
Shhh that's the trick let it happen
>>
>>1077737
I posted this a few times a while back but it usually ends up getting me banned, japan weeaboos get butthurt when I tell this story.

>so there I was
>hard partying Canadian multi-year backpacker
>younger and dumber than I am now
>had a few thousand dollars in my pocket from hustling in Australia.
>what the fuck, I'll go to Japan, why not
>book a one way, with a stopover in thailand (printed a fake itinerary to fool customs)
>get bamboozled out of pretty much everything in Thailand
>Show up to Japan with like 50 bucks and a bad hangover
>I wonder what would happen if I boarded the train without paying fare?
>easiest turnstile I've ever jumped
>I wonder what would happen if I booked in a hotel room and left out the backdoor?
>They don't even check my ID at the front desk, just hand me a key!
>I wonder what would happen if I were to "forget to pay" at a 7-11?
>Nobody even looks up, staff are trying to avoid staring at the wierd white guy!
>Slowly realise this is the promised land of petty crime
>I have been dreaming about such a place since I was 12
>>
>>1077969
(cont.)
>Scams get more and more ridiculous, i'm either staying in a hotel or blatantly crashing out in office buildings on a nightly basis.
>Literally start filling my basket up with hundreds of bucks worth of groceries and walking out of grocery stores basket in hand
>How am I not caught?
>Got into Tokyo Disney for free with a VIP pass by claiming that I was the actor playing Prince Charming
>Fucking steal furniture. No word of a lie, you can just walk into a Don Quixote (ghetto department store chain) and walk out with a new pair of shoes and a fucking chair
>the one or two times I'm caught I feign the "confused tourist" act and they let me go
>literally pay my rent with groceries and stolen stuff
>Have a following of cute little japanese girls who think I'm the penultimate badass.
>drink for free whenever, rarely seen without several litres of hard liquor
>did crazy shit like put my head through windows or burn up my passport on benders "cuzzz imm never fucken leavin MAAAAN".
>On one of my benders, I'm wandering around with a gallon of Suntory whisky offering shots to strangers
>hang out with some skaters, crack my head open once or twice trying to do tricks piss ass drunk...
>things get blurry
>end up in red light district harassing randoms, dripping in whisky
>scene missing
>>
>>1077970
(cont.)
>wake up in police station
>apparently I stumbled into a ItoYokaido and grabbed a six pack and walked out while shouting profanities at the clerk
>same night I apparently jumped up and down on the hood of a taxi while screaming GAIJIN FURYO GAIJIN FURYO FUCK YOU PEARL HARBOR
>had 12 different people simeltaneously call the cops
>cops ain't even mad, just want me to pay for the damage.
>this is truly the promised land
>get the cops to call some random slut I was banging, she agrees to come bail me out
>they put me in the lobby to wait
>LITERALLY RUN OUT OF THE POLICE STATION SUCCESSFULLY
>steal some new clothes and hairdye, I have new ridiculous identity of blonde mohawked busted tooth junkie
>From there, the crimewave gets ridiculous, I would imagine I was responsible for 10% of the petty crime in Chiba Prefecture
>Steal from one pawnshop to sell to the one down the road
>run up room service tabs in the thousands at hotels
>literally spend days in akihabara stealing electronics and selling them to other electronic shops
>take entire racks of hats and jeans from clothing stores rather than bother to look for my size
>I have a banging wardrobe at this point and I'm completely fucked on booze 24-7
>Even sell a bit of weed here and there which alone woulda netted me years
>eventually after a half year of this, decide it's time to return to my native Canada
>"borrow" money from a "friend" who I teach english to and has no idea of my crime spree.
>book my ticket, ready to return home and tell stories of how I was an upstanding citizen who was loved and respected
>cops had other ideas
>>
>>1077971
>airport customs: "could you come with me for a minute please sir?"
>take me to a room
>It starts filling up one by one with cops
>eventually there's about 20 cops in there, all with hands on their nightsticks.
>Shit.
>end up getting questioned and taken to the police station hogtied in a van with like 8 cops
>strip searched, printed, taken photos, shown to my cell.
>the next day they start questioning me about the taxi incident.
>Literally not the thefts, scams, attacks, pregnancies etc. The fucking taxi
>ALL THEY WANT IS THE THOUSAND BUCKS FOR THE TAXIS HOOD
>Figuring this is like Canada, plead guilty and you'll get sentenced the next day.
>End up spending a week saying "guilty guilty guilty charge me charge me charge me" as they give 100 page police reports, diagrams, physical re enactments, 3 different interrogators, fucking witness statements, at one point they literally videotape a re enactment using Japanese police officers.
>wait for trial date
>it should be a speedy trial, so we can have you in front of a judge in 3 months or so
>3 fucking months in solitary confinement in a japanese jail cell thats maybe 2 or 3 square metres
>at one point, completely bug out and get the beating of a lifetime from the guards
>still don't think to call my mom
>finally see the judge and have a four hour trial
>time served, you're free to go
>best 15 seconds of freedom in my life
>>
>>1077972
(cont.)
>BUSTED BY IMMIGRATION as I leave the courtroom
>apparently the time that I was in jail, I overstayed my visa so now I'm being deported
>Also, Japan doesn't provide any sort of plane tickets to remove people from the country
>still don't think to call mom
>get moved to immigration jail, sweet view and OK food but still definitely a prison
>Full of africans and filipinos, even met a based ameribro from Buffalo with a visa, getting booted on account of being a nigger
>few months chilling in immigration, if you can't pay for your ticket you literally spend the rest of your life there
>earthquakes happen, fukushima hits, shit generally hits the fan
>basically we are in a 11th story prison during the fiercest quakes of the past 50 years
>ok, time to call Mom
>Mom and everyone in Canada assumed I was dead
>nnnnope!
>She wires me over cash and I return a bum to Vancouver, ready to hitch home
>end up getting shit beaten out of me by Japanese guys while piss drunk within the first week, guess history repeats itself.
>>
>>1077974
You seem like a piece of shit that totally deserved the beatings you got.
>>
>>1077977
Lol I figured my coffee would at least be cold before the butthurt weeaboo brigade revved up
>>
>>1077974
Do you speak japanese?
>>
>>1077991
>I must be a weeaboo to look down on your thieving, degenerate behaviour

Hahaha ok, whatever helps you sleep at night. Blame the "weeaboo" boogeyman becauss tou can't face the fact that you're a dickhead
>>
>>1077977
i agree with this guy, your just as bad as the sexpats in SEA.

go die of an overdose in the snow
>>
>>1077974
kekked hard
>>
>>1077996
>>1078005
Lol I got more pussy during that 4 month crime spree than you nerds got in your whole lives
>>
File: 1454206778740.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1454206778740.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>1077368
>mfw this faggot is back on /trv/ and still thinks he's cool
>>
>>1077970
>penultimate badass
I had to laugh
>>
>>1077977
>>1077996
>>1078005
>>1078093
>Weebsoldiers defending that land of the rising sun.

Sick story OP, sounds like a damn good time.
>>
>>1077974
Shieeeet
>>
>>1077974
How much do you think you stole in total? Just an estimate...

Back in the day, it was as easy as this to steal in Northern Europe, Canada, and even the US. I know from people who have done the same in Scandinavia and Canada. Everything changed after they started bringing in immigrants from shitholes. This is the sort of thing that those fuckers who are pro-migrants don't ever question, eventually societies get accustomed to certain changes, the next generation will have to be accustomed to being raped by fucking mudslimes.
>>
>>1077974
None of this happened.
>>
>>1078041
epic xDDD
such a cool story bro :)
stealing and being a dickhead is totally amazing hahaha right on bruv :))
>>
>>1078115
>sick story OP
literally the same person
>>
>>1078115
honestly if you look at all the sick shit the Japanese have done in the past and continue to do, you'll know why I have no remorse. Once when I was on my crimespree I saw some dirty old man on a date with a 13 year old kissing up on her and shit and everyone thought this was normal. They're sick, they deserve the bombs and the tsunamis

>>1078168
yep you got me, way to crack the cases. Thank god we have the internet detectives on the job.
>>
>>1078156
hmm i was racking on a daily basis, sometimes just out of boredom. I'd say that if you include the bike thefts, probably between $20-$500 a day, so over 4 months if you average $200, I guess all in all I hit em for at least $20,000. This doesnt include hotels or bus fares...
>>
>>1078328
>Once when I was on my crimespree I saw some dirty old man on a date with a 13 year old kissing up on her and shit and everyone thought this was normal. They're sick, they deserve the bombs and the tsunamis
So you were lashing out because you were too butthurt about not being able to get the younger ones?
>>
>>1078328
shit mate please put a warning next time, i just cut myself on this edgy post
>>
File: IMG_20150824_163122.jpg (870 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150824_163122.jpg
870 KB, 2240x1344
>>1077771

A park in Marneuli, Georgia. Animals there roam freely: cows and pigs block very often the roads. I went to this park with a Russian guy, who spent 5 years in prison, and an Azeri gangster which was driving a white Lada. I just happened to see them while hitch-hiking
>>
>>1077974
>>1077974
Kill yourself
>>
>>1077974
yo bro, I'm in Vancouver lets hang out you are 2 cool5me
>>
>>1078328

Fake 'n gay
>>
File: 02-08-2016 13-00_page_1.jpg (309 KB, 1410x2048) Image search: [Google]
02-08-2016 13-00_page_1.jpg
309 KB, 1410x2048
I always considered myself more /out/ than /trv/ but I've been hitchhiking and travelling the states for the last two years. Some people say "oh I did/do that" but they often go with their parents money or only sporadically before getting off the ride, or they'll take long breaks between 'hardcore' bumlife. I hadn't planned to give myself over to this life, I've had many opportunities to stop but there's realistically no reason save for my health. I'm only 23, but I'm sure I will die a vagabond. I'm a writer at heart anyway.
It's one thing to be a living entity who new street kids try to emulate once you meet-quite another to be expected to be seen around the country at things and places after mentioning said event at a campfire five months before, three states over.

>my third day in a backpack, two years ago
>Meet homeless kid who invites me to his squat
>meet crazy street kids
Life hasn't been the same since.
>>
i survived 8 days in a van with some average tourists plus an extremely whiny Israeli cop. he literally started complaining as we sat down in the van, before we left the hostel in UB, and did not stop for 8 days.

the Gobi was all right. rode a camel. helped butcher a goat. wrestled our van driver. hiked over the king sand dune as the sun went down and our guide decided i was probably dead since of course no tourist could possibly go out in a straight line and return to camp without help.

hardly an unbelievable adventure but i had a good time.
>>
>>1078743

also while in Qinghai and Xinjiang i met tourists who were aiming to sneak over the border into Tibet (paying somebody in a van to drive them in, basically). i eventually took a guided tour in Tibet and i'm curious to hear if anyone's succeeded at the un-guided version... there are roadblocks and shit everywhere that require your guide to show all the paperwork, so i don't know how the hell you'd get around the place without following the rules, but obviously you can. backcountry / no roads driving i guess?
>>
>>1077214
>>1077238
>>1077770
http://4archive.org/board/trv/thread/1053050
>>
I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in under 3 days
>>
It's nothing special but doing month long trips with small schoolbags as your luggage are the best.
>>
>>1078735
>having this much unwarranted self importance

oh look at this special snowflake, he's the only hardcore bum who truly gets it because even though his parents have money, he rarely asks them for it.... You're so original, you're so DIY, You're so cool and must get all the 16 year old girls. You're a visionary fucking enigma and totally not a completely useless sponge on society walking stereotype.

Fucking oogle, hope you and your dog gets run over by a train. Actually maybe the dog should make it just so it can find a good owner.
>>
>>1078776
>buttmad junkie/neet/agent thinks everyone comes from money
Fight me faggot, you know shit about piss. I came from a single mother who couldn't take care of herself, let alone two kids. You do what exactly? The only people I know who go around spouting shit about oogles are oogles, taking a break for the winter at mom's huh? You lack the credibility to call anyone an oogle, faggot.

>dog nonsense
Oh, you're just a special kind of retarded buttmad neet huh? Lack the capacity to critically think and see things from another point of view? I say, I say boy, you aint all there upstairs now are you there, sonny boy? It's okay, I'm sure you'll save up enough for your Japan to Thailand. No, everyone won't think you went there to have crazy degenerate sex at all.
>>
>>1077974
So basically you took advantage of people's hospitality in one of the safest countries in the world and expect a thumbs up? I could lie, cheat, and scam my own mother but I'm not a peace of shit. And you sound like one of those retards who ends up "borrowing" money from all his friends because you don't know how to take care of yourself.
>>
>>1078735
>It's one thing to be a living entity who new street kids try to emulate once you meet-quite another to be expected to be seen around the country at things and places after mentioning said event at a campfire five months before, three states over.

LOLWUT? Gave up trying to understand this on my third try lol
>>
>>1078776
Totally unwarranted
>>
>>1077368
fuck you man, fuck you

you're the reason travelers get so much suspicion,I hope they locked you up close to the reactor
>>
>>1078735

>I'm a writer at heart

Maybe look into a different profession.
>>
>>1077974
dud you are a legend. beating are worthy of what you have done, i envy you
>>
>>1077210

This is what American hipsters believe. You're not magically elevated above other humans simply because you've been away from home for 30 days.
>>
>>1078735
I'm an aspiring bum but I fell into the lifestyle while traveling the world, and now I can't get excited about the idea of vagabonding in the US.
You say you're dedicating yourself to this life; do you have any aspiration to see the world?
>>
>>1078969
American street punks have no ambition beyond getting drunk, begging for money, and having teenagers think they're cool. They are in this delusional bubble of self superiority, they think they're the only ones who "get it" and that they're not leeching, just "living free".

At least international bums have some sort of drive for self improvement and discovery.
>>
>>1078973
>everyone on the street must be an alcoholic and exactly the same as the idiots I see downtown Portland or in New Orleans

I don't drink or smoke cigarettes, and I'm also not telling you your life is shit and that mine is better. I think you have very serious insecurities, perhaps surrounding the fact that you're not 'cool' enough, those degenerate fucks you associated me with somehow still influence and inspire-even if they inspire others to become something that isn't a bum.

The fact that you called me a 'punk' as if this were decades ago only shows how out of touch and disengaged from the street world you really are. You have absolutely no idea what we do and the barriers in place to prevent you from finding out will cause you to dead end at a wrong conclusion and you'll walk away assuming something new but equally wrong ie "hippy fuck!" "Lazy bum!"

At the end of the day you will never understand what it is I do because of your own preconceived notions. Only international travelers are seeking self discovery and growth, yes best goy, the grass is always greener on the other side. Pay no attention to culture or counterculture or anything that's happened therein between now and 60 years ago. Good goy, America has no culture at all! Waste your youth to ensure you grow old!
>>1078969
Yes, I plan to continue on and travel the world. It's something a lot us plan. For ~3 grand I could live in India for months comfortably, can make 3000 working harvest.

>>1078908
>Writing
>profession
Good one m8
>>
>>1078962
>work on improving yourself

>from the guy who just admitted to living off petty crime
>>
>>1078973
Well see that's definitely the impression I have, but can you hear how close-minded you sound? Still, you're probably right.
It's no skin off my rosy nose if someone wants to dedicate his existence to substance abuse, but if the average American bum spent on plane tickets what he currently does on cigarettes, we'd have a race of well-cultured and enlightened youth roaming the train tracks and alleyways of America.
>>
>>1077214
>>1077238
>>1077770
a) It's a landy, not a Jeep
b) Doesn't sound that wild, there is literally an event every year where people drive from London to Ulanbataar, the capital of Mongolia
(the Mongol Rally)
>>
>>1080444
Should mention that you're not allowed a car with an engine capacity of over a litre, and it can only be 2 wheel drive. It has to be shit.
>>
I walked from north to south in Switzerland (Via Gottardo, 330 km/205 mi), was a good trip but a long one. My feet were broken by the time I reached Chiasso.
>>
>>1077777
Amazing
>>
Snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef on ny gap year
>>
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2MjA1NTgxODM1.jpg (148 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2MjA1NTgxODM1.jpg
148 KB, 1200x1200
>>1077300

Fuck.

The best I can offer is travelling from Helsinki to Hong Kong by train last year.

In 2019 I intend to circumnavigate the planet without flying. UK to Australia, train or drive from Darwin/Perth to Sydney, the cheapest trans-pacific crossing I can find, then trains and greyhounds to NYC and the QM2 to the UK.

Always loved reading about Magellan, Drake, Cook and other circumnavigators. Absolutely nobody I've spoken to shares my enthusiasm but I'm determined to do it.
>>
>>1077974
Fake but cool story
>>
>>1077368
>>1077737
>>1077969
>>1077970
>>1077971
>>1077974
>>1077972
subhuman
>>
>>1080460
Homie,

I share your enthusiasm. Please go through with this.
>>
>>1077969
This is the reason people hate immigrants/foreigners

Its one thing to do it but it's another to get hard just from telling the story
>>
>>1078794
>crazy degenerate sex
you seem to be some kind of punk, but use pol-lingo how does this match? ithought punks love degenerate stuff. im not the dude from previous post by the way
>>
>>1080460
do it faggot
>>
>>1080587
Hahaha in Tokyo I ran into all kinds of faggots who genuinely thought that if they acted beta and submissive to the nips, they'd somehow make an exception to the rule and accept foreigners with open arms. Some fag actually came up and gave me shit for talking on the phone on the subway, if I was drunk I would decked him.

Those guys were such losers I was glad to ruin their name
>>
>>1080790
>Some fag actually came up and gave me shit for talking on the phone on the subway, if I was drunk I would decked him.
the correct resolution to polite disagreement is violence
>>
Has anyone here been to Africa? I wanna go there so bad like it's not even fun. I'm not talking about tourist Africa, being on fucking tours and stick with I group but rather just go from country to country and just be there, you know what I mean?

This is now the theme of this thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxlQ_z7j3cU
>>
>>1080790

No you wouldn't have son.
>>
I'm in the midst of planning mine right now. I'm from the US and I'm studying for a semester in Barcelona this fall. Instead of flying east when fall starts, I'm flying west when summer starts. I've saved up a pretty good amount of money working during college and I'm going to spend a ton of it here.

My rough itinerary looks like USA->Japan->China->Mongolia->Russia (via trans-siberian railroad) ->Finland->Sweden->Norway->Denmark->Germany->Czech Republic->Austria->Hungary->Slovenia->Croatia->Italy->Barcelona

While in Barcelona I hope to use my weekends and breaks to visit Portugal, France, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Morocco.

After finals, I hope to fly from Barcelona to Athens and spend around a week each in Greece and Istanbul before my next semester starts. I'll fly from Istanbul to the US.

Total: 7 months, 24 countries (21 new ones), 4 continents.
>>
My friend and I have been working for the last two years and saved up enough money to buy a car and drive it from Toronto all the way down to Mexico. From there we need to figure a different way towards Brazil since all the maps we've looked at shows that there's no route to drive there.
>>
>>1078328
You need therapy lol. Plain and simple. How's your relationship with your father?
>>
>>1078962
How are you improving yourself in any way? You're deluded and hypocritical.
>>
>>1077180
I fucked my way out of Thailand.

>that was my own personal Vietnam
>>
>>1077300
Afro-Eurasia in one trip??
>>
I was supposed to do an epic trip this year but now I will have to scale it back...again. Fuck life and everything involved in living it...

I still think I will be able to travel a lot in the next few years, just hoping that some things at least somewhat go my way so I don't feel frustrated year after year.
>>
I remember some Pole who cycled from northern Finland to Cape Town.
>>
I'm thinking of cycling from Antwerp to Santiago de Compostela.
Doesn't seem hard nor overly ambitious, I mean, it IS Western Europe.
Planning to spend the least possible on accomodation though, at least until I get to Spain where pilgrim accomodation is dirty cheap.
Should be fun
>>
I once hitch-hiked across the Andes, setting up a mobile tattoo shop along the way.

> Be American, but studying at La Catolica de Chile
> On "summer" break in Buenos Aires, need to get back in like 4 days to register for classes.
> Bussing across Arg back to Chile
> Seated next to hyper-tattooed guy from australia. Is straight-edge punk. We hit it off.
> Halfway there, realize wallet has been stolen, almost all money gone
> Blizzard cuts off passes through mountains to Chile
> Punk guy sets up tattoo shop in hostel, I draw, he inks, for room and board plus a little side cash
> While at hostel, organize world championship of fooseball (this was during the Beijing olympics, everyone was in a crazy competitive spirit)
> Eventually meet some Chilean college students
> Scrape together enough money to pay random dude to drive us through the blizzard back to Santiago.

It was the craziest time in my life. Every day I wondered how I would get food, get a bed, get home. But I was never too worried because there were amazing people there with me. The bummer is that my camera was stolen along with my wallet, so there are no pictures of any of it.
>>
>>1081848

Bumping for feedback on this. Interested to hear what anyone else thinks about it
>>
>>1082372
Amazing story bro.
>>
>>1082031
Yeah, why not? I didn't really know how it was going to pan out as I didn't have much of a plan at all, but I certainly didn't expect to end up taking that route.
>>
What I'm saving up to quit my job and take around a year to do. Ballpark budget of around $30,000 but I'm still a ways away from getting there or setting a concrete budget. Not 100% sure of every stop along the way but I know I want to hit

1. Costa Rica
2. Ecuador and Galapagos Islands
3. Peru
4. Chile and Easter Island
5. Tierra del Fuego and Patagonia - Antarctica as well maybe
6. Rio de Janeiro
7. A safari somewhere in Africa - unsure where
8. Climb Mt Kilimanjaro
9. Dubai
10. Nepal/Bhutan - see the Himalayas
11. Myanmar
12. New Zealand

I realize it's a lot of ocean hopping for one trip but I really like the idea of circumnavigating the world in a single trip, and hitting as many as 6/7 continents
>>
File: Dreamtrip.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1523) Image search: [Google]
Dreamtrip.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1523
>>1082688
>>
>>1082688
>>1081848

fucking do it lads
>>
>>1082688

Have you got an estimate for what the flights might cost? I know your money will go far in a lot of those places but travel to Galapogos and Easter Island is pretty damn expensive from what I've heard. Basically monopolised IIRC. I'm probably talking shit anyway, looks like an awesome trip.
>>
File: circumnavigation without flying.jpg (556 KB, 3000x1523) Image search: [Google]
circumnavigation without flying.jpg
556 KB, 3000x1523
>>1080520
>>1080667

This would be my preferred route. I have already done the trans-mongolian so I'd like to take the silk route via iran and kazakhstan, bit tough logistically since I will end up needing to co-ordinate about 8 visa applications which all have different conditions. If this looks untenable I'll just go Warsaw-Moscow-Astana-Beijing-Hanoi.

The toughest part is finding a passenger carrying freighter from Singapore to Australia that matches up date wise with a transpacific cruise or freighter leaving sydney or brisbane. These need booking 12-18 months in advance. Then crossing the US on Amtrak and greyhound and taking cunard line from NYC to Southampton is relatively simple.

Roughly 30,000 miles
>>
I've cycled across the US, around Japan for a couple of months and done a Helsinki - Amsterdam - Prague - Helsinki trip. Also tried walking across Japan, because I've wanted to try walking a country, but it was a bit boring compared to cycling, so I only did about 3 weeks/40km a day.

I've done the Annapurna circuit in Nepal which was two weeks of trekking and you go up to 5450m. I might go back one day and do the more longer ones there.

In a few weeks I'm flying to Madrid, cycling to Portugal, then to Bulgaria and all the way to the North Cape, then back to Helsinki through southern Norway. Should be around ~12,000km.

I want to fly to South America in the fall and cycle around that shit, but I'll think about it after this trip. Maybe trek the mountains a little bit also. And if I feel like it, try to get a boat to central america and continue onwards.
>>
>>1082808

Easter Island and Galapagos Islands are both inefficient as fuck to throw in there, you pretty much can't get there from anywhere except Santaigo and Quito respectively. I'm looking at tacking on around $500-$1000 each, but I think they fit in really well with my trip. I'm most going for places that have an "ends of the Earth" type of feel about them and I feel like Easter Island is perfect for that - thousands of miles from anywhere else, strange civilization that we don't know much about. It's perfect for what I'm going for. Same with Antarctica, Madagascar, Patagonia, New Zealand, Botswana etc.

Then of course Chicago into Latin America will be expensive as hell, as will New Zealand back to America and Rio to Cape Town, and everything in Africa. I'd estimate around $7500 or so will be just transportation, but I'm used to doing everything on a shoestring budget. I know how to stretch my money in South America and Indonesia, as I've spent a lot of time in both places
>>
Cycled/hitched (green/red) across Europe on 100 euros, took 23 days. Crossed Alps twice, saw Monaco GP, dove dumpsters. Will post here the next trip.
>>
>>1083778
One of my goals is to hitchhike to Monaco and eat a can of sardines while sitting above the Marina.
>>
>>1083778
I remember that thread. You were the guy with the fisheye pictures, right?
>>
File: img072-crop2.jpg (2 MB, 3540x2392) Image search: [Google]
img072-crop2.jpg
2 MB, 3540x2392
>>1084042
Ya, man! Been some time..
>>1084032
Do it. I had no idea.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.