[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Time Traveling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Hey /trv/, I'm a first time traveler so I'm a little nervous and was hoping you guys could help me out. The questions I'm asking I've already tried with google and have gotten pretty general answers or can't find specific answers for, so I was hoping you guys could help me out. I'm just a little nervous because this is only my second time flying (first time was to basic training where everything was taken care of for us) and it's overseas.

Anyways, I'm flying from the US out to the netherlands with a 1hr30m layover in frankfurt.

One of the main things I'm wondering is what I can take in a checked bag. I know this seems pretty simple but google gives me mixed answers. I'm staying for 8 days so I'd like to fit in entire containers of shampoo/bodywash, but I'm afraid the liquid rule that applies to carry ons could apply to checked baggage. I'd also like to take some advil and vitamins, but I'm nervous that they could be considered drugs and cause a delay in me getting my baggage or something. I really can't find definite answers on either of these so if you guys could help me out from experience that'd be great.

This probably sounds like a stupid question too, but when my plane lands for my layover in frankfurt, do I get my checked baggage then head over to my next flight, or is it already transferred over to the next flight for me? Also is a one and a half hour layover enough time? There was shorter and longer layovers but I didn't want to go too short and miss my flight or go too long and wait all that extra time for nothing.

Are flights losing luggage still a thing? I've heard of it but i'm not sure how often that happens. What do you do if it happens? (the airport i'm landing in is about a 3 hour ride from where i'm staying so it isn't like itd be easy to go back and get something left behind)

Any tips for packing a carry on bag? I have a pretty good sized "tactical" backpack that I was just planning to put some extra stuff in like my laptop. (cont.)
>>
but can you access your carry on during the flight if you need to get something out of it? Or is it once it's up in the compartment it isn't moving?

Honestly the main thing I guess I'm concerned about is the baggage and packing something wrong/not permitted and causing it to delay me or something. Any overall tips for traveling/flying, especially overseas is appreciated. I'm pretty nervous since it's my first time out of country.
>>
>>1076339
>Checked bag
Shampoo and Bodywash in a checked bag have never been a problem on any flight I've been on in the EU, UK or the US. Neither were advil or vitamins.

>Transferring checked baggage
Is done for you. You can't even access it unless you've booked actual separate flights. With layovers it's all taken care of.

>Flights losing luggage
Yes, still a thing. But extremely rare and when it happens usually take care of very quickly. Don't worry about it. Your suitcases are individually labelled with codes and you also receive a baggage claim tag with the same number (which you don't need to claim it, only when you get lost).

>carry on
Book, tablet, laptop is fine. Just no sharp objects or liquids. You will be asked to take laptops and tablets out at security. It's standard procedure. They just need to be in a separate tray for a few minutes. It's in the overhead compartment and you can take it out if you want. Don't do it *too* often though because it's fucking annoying for your fellow passengers.

Also, be sure to check the allowed dimensions of your carry-on luggage with your airline. They're usually lenient about it, but just be safe.

You'll be fine. It's mostly just boring.

Now. The reason I actually replied to this thread - any plans for The Netherlands yet? Where are you staying? What are you going to see? What are you interested in?
>>
Ps.
Even when you have something on you that isn't allowed there usually isn't a problem. I once had trouble at a layover in London on a flight from Seattle to Amsterdam. I had a jar of jam in my backpack that I bought at Seattle Airport and it wasn't sealed. So London security picked me out and asked about it. I just explained and it was all fine. They did take the jar of jam though.

In an airport in Greece my girlfriend and I were stopped at security because she had a butter knife in her purse. Honest mistake - she had taken it to work and when she took it back she forgot to take it out. When we explained we could even take it on the plane with us. It wasn't sharp anyway. And that was 2013, so not even that long ago.

And we also usually carry gum or even aspirine on the plane as well.
>>
>>1076339
>>1076339
>I'm just a little nervous because this is only my second time flying.
I thought you soldiers were supposed to have a pair. Anyways if you have the shakes, pound back some liquid courage and you'll be floating a boozy cloud to the 'dam
>One of the main things I'm wondering is what I can take in a checked bag.
Anything that doesn't explode, cut, shoot, grow mould or walk.
>I'd like to fit in entire containers of shampoo/bodywash
You're not going to Antarctica, buy it when you get there.
>I'm afraid the liquid rule that applies to carry ons could apply to checked baggage.
It wont.
>I'd also like to take some advil and vitamins, but I'm nervous that they could be considered drugs
Not in Europe.
>This probably sounds like a stupid question too,
It is
>when my plane lands for my layover in frankfurt, do I get my checked baggage then head over to my next flight, or is it already transferred over to the next flight for me?
It's transfered for you
>Also is a one and a half hour layover enough time?
Yes, you dont have to check out and in again, just stay and drink a beer or 2 in departures while you wait.
>Are flights losing luggage still a thing?
It is possible and entirely beyond your control.
>I've heard of it but i'm not sure how often that happens.
Rarely in international flights.
>What do you do if it happens?
Demand answers from the airline.
>Any tips for packing a carry on bag?
Laptop, charger, neck pillow, toothbrush, toothpaste. Any extra space should be used for shit that won't fit in to your main luggage.
>>
>>1076361
>toothpaste
Only the under 50 ml tubes are allowed. And I even had to throw that out on occasion...
>>
>>1076340
>but can you access your carry on during the flight if you need to get something out of it?
If its on your lap or under your seat.
>Or is it once it's up in the compartment it isn't moving?
Not forbidden, but grabbing stuff from the overhead is a dick move.
>Honestly the main thing I guess I'm concerned about is the baggage and packing something wrong/not permitted and causing it to delay me or something.
Dont be, you'll be fine, mistakes happen. My ex had an 11 year old cousin who brought a switchblade and paintball gun overseas.
>Any overall tips for traveling/flying, especially overseas is appreciated. I'm pretty nervous since it's my first time out of country.
Dont get sloppy drunk but you should always have a bit of booze in your system for the nerves. I dont get jitters but my wife fears flying, she's good to go after a few shots though.
>>
>>1076353
>Shampoo and bodywash
Thanks, are most liquids fine in checked bags and is there anything you can think of that's an obvious no-no in a checked bag?

>transferring checked baggage
Whats the difference between actual separate flights and layovers? Now I'm not sure if it's a layover or not

>Losing luggage
Thanks, that puts me at ease

>Carry on
I'm pretty sure I get precheck being military, so I'm hoping to avoid all that. But even so it won't be a problem. Glad I can access my bag during the flight though. Could I put advil in the carry on?

>Plans
My girlfriend is studying international business and she's in the netherlands for whatever reason right now studying. I'm staying at a hotel down the street from the place shes renting with her roommates. If we manage to make it out of the hotel room we'll just explore the area we're in most likely, the trip is mainly to see her rather than the netherlands, but she says its beautiful and she knows a lot of good local places so we'll see what happens

>>1076360
Thanks, that makes it sound easier

>>1076361
I'm nervous in the sense that I don't want to miss my flight or have something happen to baggage due to ignorance.

Thanks for the help though, answers seem pretty consistent

>>1076364
Thanks, I might be able to fit the backpack under the seat. I'll take the booze into consideration.
>>
>>1076369
>Whats the difference between actual separate flights and layovers? Now I'm not sure if it's a layover or not
If you book a flight from say New York to Amsterdam and there's a stop in London where you have to get out of the plane and then get back on the same plane or even another plane - Layover

If you book a flight from New York to London and then book another flight from London to Amsterdam - separate flight.

>plans
You said it's a few hours from where the plane lands... Groningen by any chance?

Also, yes, it is beautiful. Take advantage of that and share the experience of seeing it with her. I you need tips, just say so.
>>
File: flights.png (20 KB, 593x254) Image search: [Google]
flights.png
20 KB, 593x254
>>1076373
So this is the same airline, but it looks like a different plane. It does say layover in the description though. Am I good?

The girl is in Mierlo, it looks like it'll be close to 2 hours by car or close to 3 hours by trains/bus. If you've been to the netherlands yourself and can offer any tips it'd be really appreciated too. From what she says most everyone speaks at least some english and public transit is really good.
Also, the other thing I'm worried about is my phone. I was planning on using something like whatsapp and relying mainly on wifi to keep in touch with people. Any tips phone service while I'm there?
>>
>>1076377
>airline
good

>If you've been to the netherlands yourself and can offer any tips it'd be really appreciated too
Lived there all my life, which is 30 years now.

>Mierlo
Northerner myself, but despite everybody talking all weird the south has a lot of fun to offer. Cities like Den Bosch, Maastricht and Breda are quite nice. A day in Belgium (Brussels, Antwerp) can also be done easily from there. Other than that there's the classics like a day in Amsterdam or cycling from Rotterdam to Kinderdijk.

>wifi
Should be fine. Nearly every hotel offers free wifi.
>>
>>1076339
Anon, why on earth are you taking shampoo with you? You can buy that in the first shop you enter once you get there. You're adding weight to your luggage and risking it spilling all over your clothes for no good reason.
>>
>>1076394
This. It costs the same over there and since you're military, odds are you can shampoo with a bar of soap.
>>
>>1076379
Thanks for the help, i'll come back and update with any plans we end up making

>>1076394
>>1076396
I just figured pack ahead. It really doesnt weigh much and if you put it in bag the risk is minimized. I'm not sure what the stores are like there or anything so I figured why not.

But then again like I said first time really traveling so I'm not sure how things are done usually.
>>
>>1076402
They have 7-11s and they are the same as the 7-11s in burgerland. Maybe the hot dogs are fresher?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.