[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gorilla trekking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
Hello,
I want to visit the mountain gorillas in either Rwanda or Uganda sometime in the future when I can afford it and preferably before they are all extinct.
But first, I wanna hear from someone who has done it. How was your experience? Where did you do it? How much did it cost? and so on.

It seems expensive as hell and I don't know what place is the best.
Bonus points for other activities you can do in these two countries.
>>
>>1076283
No experience with it but have you considered the Virunga National Park in Congo? Apparently getting there from Uganda shouldn't be very difficult anymore and I'm pretty sure the park is way more spectacular than the areas on the other two countries
>>
>>1076284
yeah, actually Virunga, Bwindi (Uganda) and Parc des Volcans (Rwanda) are the places I would consider visiting for the gorillas. So I'll add Congo to the question.
>>
Still looking for your father, OP?
>>
File: 1.jpg (5 MB, 3456x4608) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
5 MB, 3456x4608
>>1076283
How was your experience?

Pretty awesome. It was a big family with a few babies as well. You spend about an hour with them as well. Saying it's worth it depends on how much you want to do it. Hike for between 1 to 4 hours through jungle, but that also depends on your age and fitness.

Where did you do it?

Rwanda.

How much did it cost?

Can't remember if I paid 500 or 750 USD. Pretty sure its 750 now.

If you are in Rwanda you may as well visit the Genocide Museum, its depressing as fuck though. We also met this guy who showed us around his neighbourhood and he had this massive cave with bats and stuff right near his house
>>
>>1076548
That sounds nice. The hike through the jungle would be a nice bonus to the experience as well.

The price is including the permit to visit the gorillas, right? That seems to be the largest expense from what I've seen online.
>>
>>1076949
Yep, price includes permits and guides to answer questions and stuff. Also funds the rangers that follow that gorillas and keep them protected.

I've heard of people doing it in Uganda as well but the Gorillas there aren't used to people so were very hostile.

The population of mountain gorillas seems to be steadily increasing as well.
>>
>>1076303
underrated tho
>>
>>1077129
Thanks for the answer. Did you arrange this yourself or did you join a tour through a company?

750 bucks seem like a lot for a student like me, but I can imagine it is worth every single penny.
>>
>>1077264
Family member is a travel agent so he kinda did everything. I definitely recommend saving up for it and maybe a longer trip as well, the gorillas aren't going anywhere. The Serengeti and Masai Mara are pretty awesome. I was over there for two months though volunteering does pad things out a bit.
>>
>>1077312
Also the trek itself is organised by the National Park so its no different through any of the tour companies. It just depends on what you want to do around the trek.
>>
>>1076284
Virunga sounds like a place you absolutely must visit from what I've read. However, I've also read that getting a visa for Congo is kinda complicated and expensive.
Is there anybody here who have tried to enter Congo from either Uganda or Rwanda and then getting directly to Virunga, who wants to share their experience?
>>
>>1076283
>before they are all extinct.
So you're going next year? Better start planning.

....god I love bushmeat, it taste just like bush
>>
File: gorilz11.jpg (740 KB, 1172x1788) Image search: [Google]
gorilz11.jpg
740 KB, 1172x1788
>>1076283

Do it anon, even just the hike is great...it is worth it. I did it in Rwanda at volcanoes NP.

pic related. I took it on my trek.
>>
>>1078530
fuck that looks amazing. What else did you do during your visit to Rwanda?
>>
In nyc you can do it for free
>>
bump for more advice
>>
leave those fucking monkeys be you faggot
>>
how much would a couple kebabs of bushmeat cost?

it's a pretty common treat for africans i just want to try it because gorilla steaks are the closest ill ever come to tasting sweet human meat
>>
>>1076303
>>1078497
>>1079095
>>1079878
>>1079879
really great advice, thanks guys
>>
>>1080819
Detroit mate.
I hear Sweden's getting good too.
>>
>>1079092

Not much, just looked around Ruhengeri, went clubbing Kigali, went to the genocide museum.

Honestly there is not a lot to do. Just enjoyed the drives, and the hike. I don't know how to explain more really. Rwanda is not exactly a vacation destination.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.