[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Study Abroad in Kyrgyzstan, where to after?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: English_American_Breakfast.jpg (93 KB, 639x852) Image search: [Google]
English_American_Breakfast.jpg
93 KB, 639x852
I will be spending summer 2016 in Kyrgyzstan learning Russian, and this will end 10 days before university starts again. Where should I fly to while I'm on that side of the globe? The only limitation I have is that I can't take multiple flights (like visiting 5 cities in a short span of time). At the most I can visit 2 cities (like Istanbul and Rome, for example).

What is the best place to go? I can stay in Kyrgyzstan and just see various tourism destinations in the country, which include skiing, trekking, and visiting bazaars.
>>
You could pop into Tajikistan or Uzbekistan. It would definitely boost your RealTavelerâ„¢ rating.
>>
>>1076143
Well worth going into Uzbekistan, and specifically to Samarkand, which is breathtaking, full of amazing historic sites. Bukhara and Khiva maybe also too.
>>
>>1076211
Are those areas safe for Americans? Uzbekistan isn't that stable right?
>>
>>1076648
It's basically a police state, there is nothing to fear as a foreign tourist. (I'm British and was there a couple of months ago). I found everyone immensely hospitable and friendly, and curious about me, but in a nice way, even in Tashkent, which has a real totalitarian vibe. What happens when the (very aged) President dies is an open question, though. The UK foreign office advises against travelling to some areas bordering Afghanistan, while the Ferghana valley in the NE of the country has a bit of a shaky history. But everywhere else is fine. I would be far more concerned about safety in the south of Kyrgyzstan (Osh, Jalal-abad), although as an American you'd not be in any special risk. Tajikistan is mostly a bit dodgy right now though
>>
>>1076648
I may be totally wrong, but as far as I remember it's quite an autocratic regime, and they cracked down any subversive elements, stamping out islamic culture along the way. Stable as far as I know, but you'll have to verify because I may be confusing it with another country.
>>
I've also been to uzbekistan and it's super safe. Make sure you bring a Visa credit card. My friend and I only had mastercard and it was a fucking nightmare to withdraw money
>>
>>1076686
Why would I use a credit card when I can just use my debit card? Are they not accepted overseas?
>>
>>1076702
As long as it's Visa you'll be fine. There are very very few atms and most of them just don't accept Mastercard
>>
>>1076702
I just used cash in Uzbekistan. Even in Samarkand and Bukhara not many places accept credit or debit cards (Tashkent is possibly a bit different). But my impression was overall that it's strictly a cash economy, and really you'd be a fool not to exchange your dollars on the black market (illegal, but everyone does it, as the rates are two or three times as good as the official one).
>>
>>1076707
How is an 18-year-old with no travel experience going to find the black-market? That seems like something someone with connections would do.
>>
>>1076731
No, not in Uzbekistan. Seriously people will approach you everywhere- outside railway stations, taxi drivers, in markets, tourist places. Everyone is at it. Trying to find places to exchange money legally is MUCH MUCH harder - even at the airport. Honestly. Basically Uzbekistan is a non-market economy -in some ways it still the USSR - the rules that apply in Western economies really don't exist.
>>
>>1076731
I was able to exchange all my dineros at the hostels/homestays I stayed at. >>1076735 is right when he says it's much harder to find a place to do it legally. Just bring dollars or euros, no meme currencies.
>>
>>1076143
No way you can learn Russian in three months. This trip will be a waste.
>>
>>1077628

No trip is ever a waste, if you never made it before.
>>
>>1077628
I will be learning a year's worth of college-level Russian in about 3 months. I will not be fluent but I will be significantly better than the average first-year college student.
>>
>>1078522
That will help greatly, especially if you stay with a family there. But it's tough. I only became fluent in Russian (studying it for my degree) after living in a Russian-speaking part of Ukraine for several months, and that was after two years of college, and a month course in St Petersburg. So good luck!
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.