[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, guys. I recently lost my job, but found another one. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Machupicchu.jpg (90 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Machupicchu.jpg
90 KB, 800x600
Hey, guys.

I recently lost my job, but found another one. I start Feb. 15th. With this unexpected time off, I want to do some /trv/ling. I'm thinking Peru to visit pic related. I also want to take part in an ayahusca ceremony retreat.

Here's my question(s). This time off is unexpected, and I now don't have health insurance (until I start the new job). So, I'm wondering if I"ll be OK going without getting vaccanations.

I really don't know what my history of shots is. I can't really look into it, because I pretty much never go to the doctor, unless I'm injured. It's super-expensive to even visit a doctor without insurance, let alone get a bunch of shots.

Is it insane to just risk it and go? I know Hep A and Typhoid, and to a certain extend Yellow Fever and a couple other things are real threats.

What would my fellow /trv/lers do? I really want to go somewhere with this time that I have, and this is a huge bucket list thing for me.

Thank you.
>>
>>1076018

I also have a follow-up question. Thanks for bearing with me. This will be my first time traveling out of country alone. (Excluding Mexico, I guess, but I feel more clueless with Peru.)

It looks like the tap water isn't safe. Am I supposed to just buy bottled water everywhere?

Not sure how I'd access all the clean water I'd need while going on day-long excursions. I have a CamelBak. Just not sure where I'd be able to fill it up.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, and thank you for the help.
>>
>So, I'm wondering if I"ll be OK going without getting vaccanations.
...yes. People don't usually vaccinate before a trip.

>Is it insane to just risk it and go?
Its not a risk. The worse it will probably happen is you getting food poisoning and shitting in your pants for a few days. Other than that, its really rare to contract anything else

>It looks like the tap water isn't safe. Am I supposed to just buy bottled water everywhere?
Depends on the location. If you are really woried, buy water
>CamelBak
Just buy a couple of 1L bottles, its not rocket science
>>
>>1076045
Yeah, thanks. IDK, it just seems like one CamelBak's worht of water isn't going to always be enough. If I were to hike the Inca trail, how am I going to get more?

I suppose in that case, you just have to load up with a couple day's worth. I'd just love to hear from someone who's trotted around the jungle and cities of Peru (or elsewhere in South America) to see how they managed.
>>
>>1076085
>IDK, it just seems like one CamelBak's worht of water isn't going to always be enough
That's what i said. Buy a couple of bottles and carry them with you
>>
>>1076085
The inca trail is quite expensive. Consider doing the trek to Choquequirao instead.
>>
Before you listen to advice here, many countries require vaccinations in order to be allowed in. I'm too lazy to Google.
But nah dude, don't worry about getting sick with the shit they try to scare you with. A flu shot is always a good idea when traveling to developing countries but I'm sure Peruvians are clean.
>>
>>1076045
>Its not a risk. The worse it will probably happen is you getting food poisoning and shitting in your pants for a few days

Yep. Spent an entire day on the toilet following my ceviche experience in Lima. Shat and shat until there was nothing left, then farted and shat mucus. Filled a trash can with puke too.

If you visit Cusco prepare for some of the most aggressive touts ever. I like how every one of the artists in the plaza painted the same image of Machu Picchu. Clearly just a coincidence. The art is kinda cool and would make a nice gift, but if you're a poor backpacker you probably can't spare the $.
>>
>>1076101
The touts in Cusco are not even half as agressive as those in Cuba, and they in turn are not even half as agressive as the Moroccan touts. I'm sure Egypt, India and other countries are worse.
If you think Cusco is bad you ain't seen nothing yet. Still, they can be pretty annoying.
>>
>>1076101
God damn and holy shit.

I hope, hope, hope that doesn't happen to me.

>>1076098
After thinking about it, I'm probably going to take the train up, unfortunately. I don't have that much time and I want to simplify. Not going on a long hike will reduce the amount of things I need to bring down there, too. But this is good advice if one did want to hoof it.
>>
>>1076104
Bull shit Cuban ones were cool, if you said you weren't interested they left. That shocked me. They were just trying to make a CUC but they weren't going to waste time harassing you.

Moroccan ones are indeed crazy, as are Turkish.
>>
>>1076107
Some did keep harassing me. Sorry man, but nobody in or around Cusco ever really annoyed me, while plenty of Cubans did. When did you visit?
But this is not relevant to OP, so I suggest we drop it or make a /touts general/. I suppose everyone's mileage may vary.
>>
>>1076110
OP I went to this business that specializes in overpriced vaccinations for international travel and got the full Peruvian package. My W.H.O. yellow card is nice and full now.

I was in Cusco, Lima, and Peru in general last December. This one woman recognized me from two days earlier and chased me down from my hotel exit all the way to the statue in the plaza center.

I was in Cuba three weeks ago, when I told them I was from the states and didn't want to fuck with bringing back cigars they tried to argue but I just waved my hand and said 'can't' and left.
>>
>>1076114
Thanks for the response. Funny that that fem-tout would chase you down like that.

Can I trust that bottled water will be clean, and not from some Peruvian 's garden hose?
>>
>>1076114
I have yet to visit Lima, i'm in Urubamba right now. Many people in Cusco have approached me, but all left me alone when I said no thank you. Maybe it helps that i'm hispanic myself.
I found cubans to be much more persistent.

>>1076115
Open the bottle right when you buy it in front of them to see if it was open or not.
>>
>Funny that that fem-tout would chase you down like that.
It was weird. She had a grin on her face, I think even though she was desperate for cash she was having fun teasing me as well and was confident that she would break me. She couldn't keep up though, too short and chunky.

>>1076115
>Can I trust that bottled water will be clean, and not from some Peruvian 's garden hose?
Um probably, the plastic seals on the bottles I bought were never broken, so yeah I think so. Look for a Gato's, it's a good convince store.
>>
>>1076116
Gracias, mi amigo.
>>
>>1076117
>Grinning. Couldn't keep up. Too short and chunky.
Laughed out loud. Way to paint the picture.
>>
>>1076119
Hago mi mejor
>>
This has nothing to do with vaccinations or clean water access, but I guess this is now a my trip to Peru general. Tell me to fuck off if I deserve it.

But, holy shit. I'm shopping for flights, and everything I see involves layovers in other airports from 8 hours to 13 hours and longer.

Am I doing it wrong? Is this just the breaks with international travel? I don't know what I'm going to do with 13 hours overnight in Lima.

What an absolute ungodly waste of time.
>>
Look at this unholy bullshit.

47 hours of air travel.
48 hours.
56 hours.

People don't actually do this, do they? I feel like this is a fucking joke.
>>
>>1076131
>But, holy shit. I'm shopping for flights, and everything I see involves layovers in other airports from 8 hours to 13 hours and longer.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to experience this. Honestly I was embarrassed by my flight schedule, I thought that I had fucked something up.
>>
>>1076135
Why don't you book your flights separately and spend a night or two in Lima? Also if you're flying into cusco from lima be very careful about altitude sickness and take it easy for the first two days.
>>
>>1076018
>this is a huge bucket list thing for me.
Then go. See it and do it.

Yes, you should just do bottled water. Buy it at groceries, at least 3 or 4 at a time, and carry it to your next nights stay. Camelbak? WTF, just carry a daybag with a couple of bottles. You aren't hiking the Andes, you are day trippin' fool and staying in guesthouses.

I'd get all shots that are CDC recommended, and I'd use precautions against mosquito bites while there, as well.

The ceremony is a huge waste of time and quite dangerous to you. Anyone doing this for you is there just to rip you off. Admiring mystical drug culture is stupid and dangerous, but esp in Peru. Any emergency medical care is negligible, and you certainly would never participate in something like this alone and without local friends. You are at high altitude, and something like 30% can and will get sick from it. Plan to have a couple unplanned days of rest when you get it. To dehydrate yourself on purpose is stupid, and to take a SSRI by all accounts of understanding is equally stupid. Why not just take a handful of pharmaceuticals now and let someone yell some evil spirits into you to make yourself nice and prepped for your new job.

One of the main reasons to visit Peru is a delicious food culture at a great price, cool locals, and a great balance between coastal and mountainous life. But, it is rife with crime and idiots going down to be a target all from a mysterious drug experience are going to be a victim. Take a Paxil.
>>
>>1076135
>47 hours of air travel.
Always remember Miami Intl is the gateway to S. America.

MSP to Miami on Delta. You're originating from a Delta hub that's likely your best bet. Enjoy a wonderful day or two on the beach/nightlife in Miami because that's not an easy flight either, if you wish, esp if they make you connect through ATL make sure you load up on the yummies in the ATL airport.

Miami (MIA) nonstop to Lima (LIM) on American (AA). You'll find fare as low as $350, typically averaging 500-1200 roundtrip. It's a 5hr 30m flight from Miami. To have a stop outside of the US asinine, because you will be stopping somewhere highly inconvenient once out of the US, whether it's way over to Panama or Bogota, just say no!./// because it adds 6-10hrs to the intinerary with the customs/immigration step You have to deplane when changing airlines and claim baggage, do customs as a noncitizen. These are terrible ideas for you. Forget it.
>>
>>1076255
Nice dubs, and thank you for the water and vaccination advice.

As for the aya, all I can say is that I've carefully researched this where I'm going, and the reviews of the place/people are glowing. It's not for everyone, but I'm going for it. There's no going back now.
>>
>>1076018
Usually takes a while for full immunity with those vaccines, Op.
>>
>>1076292
Could you send the link of the place? I've been thinking to try it when I'm there as well but haven't started seriously looking into it yet
>>
>>1076349
Right. Another reason I'm skipping it.

I was hoping for some positive affirmation that I'd be OK. Wish me luck.
>>
>>1076393
Here's the one I'm going to. They only do groups of four, which I think is great.
http://www.sapaninka.com/

These places run the gamut from hardcore jungle trekking completely off the grid accommodations to pretty luxurious. Your best bet is to use aya advisor to find a credible place that vibes with what you're looking for.
http://ayaadvisor.org/
>>
>>1076412
Thank you
>>
>>1076135
Lol I'm coming from the UK and it's half the.price and less time than that
>>
>>1076716
I found a lot better. Took me a while though. But who in their right mind books such a trip??
>>
File: 1451890408539.jpg (177 KB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
1451890408539.jpg
177 KB, 1080x810
>>1076018
Guarantee after you do ayahusca you won't start that job m8
>>
>>1076757
I dunno I think they are generated I found kayak to be the cheapest but make sure you turn on incognito browsing because your cookies will raise the price if you search for the same trip too many times.
My friend has rented us an apartment which is a lot cheaper than hotels or hostels.
>>
>>1076758
If thread is alive still, I'll keep you updated. First ceremony is Feb 5.
>>
>>1076789
Good advice with the cookies thing. Thank you.
>>
>>1076250
I am, in fact spending some time in Lima on the way back. :)
>>
>>1076021
it's a lot more than just water. a ton of foods carry risks of sickness. you can try your best to avoid them, or you can be like me, and can still get sick, but just take some anti diarrheal medicine to mostly make up for it.
also, you will want to get vaccinated for some of the mosquito bourne stuff, like yellow fever, and get a bug repellent with sufficient deet to ward off dengue fever.
full disclosure: I do not know all the health advisory of Peru.
eat lots of fruit while you're there. it's the best.
>>
>>1076847

>eat lots of fruit while you're there. it's the best.
I plan on it!

>you will want to get vaccinated for some of the mosquito bourne stuff, like yellow fever
I don't plan on that.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.