[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK. I'm a 21 year old white Australian male who wants to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: images (24).jpg (20 KB, 313x470) Image search: [Google]
images (24).jpg
20 KB, 313x470
OK.

I'm a 21 year old white Australian male who wants to travel and possibly live in Thailand for an extended period of time.

The reason for this thread is because I have exactly no clue on how I am going to go about doing this.

So basically I've been following thai property groups on Facebook and the job networks and etc. I have a lot more f experience in hospitality mainly bartending and waiting.

Basically I'm just looking for a step by step guide on how I can achieve my end result me working and living in Thai for a few months. And how much money AUD I'll need to kick start my adventure.

Pls no bully
>>
File: 20101016_154506_Android.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
20101016_154506_Android.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
Dude either you want to go or you don't. It will be an adventure and there will be hardship. If you're not ready to throw yourself to the world then do what the rest of us do and wither away at an office job.

Either way you're never gonna get out of it alive.
>>
Friend of mine got licensed to teach English through TEFL or TESL or something, moved there with a job and housing already. There are lots of programs like that out there.
>>
>>1074562
A condo in BKK isn't all that expensive actually. You could definitely live there for a few years if you have some spare cash. You just need a job and to work out what you're doing visa wise for all that time.
>>
>>1074562
Just throw yourself in the deep end mate, you'll be surprised at what your capable of when you're driven by necessity.
>>
>>1074562
21, guessing no 4 year degree? What about a 2 year?
Your options are very slim. Thailand wants at least a 4 year degree to teach at a public/private Thai school where you will make 20,000-38,000B/month. You mentioned hospitality, yes you can get get jobs in this sector (foreigners are only allowed to work in certain jobs) They will want years of experience, mostly only looking for chefs though. No idea of Pay, I know for a Thai its about 15-40k for the low/middle level jobs.

There is also call center work that pays about the same as teaching, I don't think you need a 4 year degree. If you were fluent in other languages you would make a hell of a lot more, I knew a Japanese girl making 60-80k a month doing this because there was a larger need for native Japanese speakers.

I ended up graduating with a 4 year degree, spent $1500 on a month long cert and worked at a school with only 15 contact hours for about 25k a month. I made up extra income illegally working with my Ex to run a tutoring school, we pulled in an extra 60k. Then I went back to the US and earned a teaching degree and went back and made about 60k in CM. With a degree in teaching you can make up to 100k/month in the north and if you can somehow get into the best schools in BKK, 150k or more. Right now I am teaching in the US before moving back over.

TL;DR
You probably have shit options right now.
2k AUD to get started w/o the TEFL, 3500 if with.
>>
>>1074562
I spent 4 months working in Thailand as a diving instructor. Didn't earn a lot but it was definitely worth it
>>
>>1074892
I want to learn to dive in Thailand. Can you suggest anywhere to learn? What's involved in becoming an instructor?
>>
>>1074743
4 year degree in what? Does it matter?
>>
>>1074971
No, not really. But if it isn't education but rather English, or any STEM degree you can get a better paying position.
>>
>>1074970
Everyone goes to Koh Tao, you can also do it for cheap in the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia.
>>
>>1074970
Koh Tao. Imo the best place in the world to learn.

Not so much because the diving's especially great but because its been memed into being THE destination for diving (worldwide it's one of the biggest sites of dive training there is).
Because of that massive diving focus and reputation you get
>Some of the worlds lowest prices in the world for diving courses
>Lots of competition between rival schools
>Good quality equipment and safety standards
>Good (or at least decent) quality teaching from a mix of westerners and committed and well-trained locals.
>Locals know what westerners want - lots of services available.
>Good value accommodation running from AC dorms at the diving resorts (free while you're diving with them) and cheap thatched huts on the beachfront to luxury 5* resorts.
>Training in basically any language you want
The diving on the island is good for beginners. Safe in terms of currents etc, nice enough reefs with a good variety of sealife, enough dive sites that visibility is usually adequate somewhere (although soemties it's shit island-wide). Even a chance of seeing whale sharks at the right time of year.
The actual quality of the dive sites in terms of wildlife, coral formations etc is good ... but not great. Definitely a level below the Great Barrier Reef in Aus or Komodo in Indonesia.

It's a good place for doing basic diving, divemaster and instructor courses (I did the latter there). More than that though I love the culture on the island. Nice relaxed atmosphere (lots of people head there to chillout after doing the full moon parties) with a good vibe at the bars and stuff in the evening. Great for solo travellers since it's so easy to bond with your dive group (especially if you're in the sleeping at the dive school) and there's enough other shit to do on the island to keep you occupied when you're not underwater (some nice hikes through th interior of the island, cliff jumping, FREEDIVING, muay thai).
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (80 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
80 KB, 413x395
>>1074562
>for a few months

bro just go. what is the worst that happens? you run out of money and have to fly home.
>>
>>1075027
And the comfort of knowing that after you're raped and murdered the inept police and corrupt justice system will throw some Burmese through a kangaroo court to solve your case.
>>
>>1075091
That only happens if you're Thai. If you a farang, or otherwise a foreigner you will be thrown under the bus. The concept of "face" is real there, even at a national level, and they will avoid making Thailand/Thais look bad at all costs.
>>
>>1075107
Nah, the did that to the British couple. And I know all about faces tc, lived there for 6+ years
>>
>>1075113
Are you saying a British couple committed the murder?
>>
>>1075113

I think you missed the point. British couple got murdered. Likely by Thais other Thai affiliated criminals. Burmese gets blamed. Add to the fact the likely motive of the murder amounts to "disrespect".

Flip the situation if you are a foreigner and you murder/attack a Thai, even if justified, don't expect anything to go your way.
>>
>>1075118
gotcha. I didn't read it as Foreigner killing Thai. Which you are 100% correct.
>>1075116
No it was most likely a Thai, but even the local Police said "a Thai person couldn't be capable of something horrific" You know, except for stuff like raping and murdering young girls on trains... Anyways I successfully derailed this thread. But as there are 15 other Thailand or I wanna work in Asia what do I need to do threads....
>>
>>1075129
The fault originates with me. I read your original post as you could murder/rape and they'd just blame another foreigner. Not that you would get murder/raped.
>>
>>1074594

Not OP but that is exactly what I needed to hear
>>
>>1074562
>for an extended period of time
Go to Cambodia instead. At least they hire foreigners there.
>>
File: chinks killed limey.jpg (121 KB, 716x678) Image search: [Google]
chinks killed limey.jpg
121 KB, 716x678
>>1075118
>>
>>1075058
Seriously. You easily could just save up enough money to live cheaply in Thailand (outside Bangkok ) for a few months. Even longer in Cambodia, which I liked better in a lot of ways. Not sure which is easier to find a job.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.