[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Headed to chicago to stay with some family. Going out there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: download (1).jpg (4 KB, 135x90) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4 KB, 135x90
Headed to chicago to stay with some family.

Going out there to decide if im going to move there, or wichita KS.

Anyone visited or lived in the city or area?

Want to get the best impression i can from the city while i visit, what are things to do? And i would like to try to meet new people to hang out and smoke with... im guessing at the bar? Are people open to outsiders there?

And is it really as bad as everyone makes it seem?

Should i be afraid to walk around at night by my self?
>>
and how hard is it to get a entry level job there?
>>
never been to wichita but i have been to chi abot 5 times. Chicago has an awesome down town you can spend days within the loop area, miracle mile, river front/navy peir (u will prob freeze) All types of stuff to do in downtonw area.

I like to visit the neighborhoods try taking the public transit to wicker park its an awesome neighborhood cool bars and stuff to do all day, prob a good chance of finding people to smoke with or a hook up. Check out the Revolution Brewery they also have a tap house/resturant but i liked all rev brewery beers.
>>
>>1074458
i can tell you right away wichita kansas is not somewhere a human should live.
>>
>>1074489

cool... it says bike friendly on the internet... Im concerned i should i buy i car if i live there... Have you ever felt uncomfortable on your visits? Ive been to west coast ghettos but am unsure what the midwest is like
>>
and are there alot of snobs?
>>
>>1074510
>>
I live in Chicago.

>>1074498
You won't go anywhere near the Chicago "ghetto." Ever. This isn't even a real concern.

And you don't need a car. We have some of the best public transport in the whole country. The city is consistently ranked high on lists of bike friendly cities, although personally I find biking in the city to be very stressful (unless you are biking down the gorgeous lakefront trail).

>Are people open to outsiders there?
It's the midwest, so people are nicer than other parts of the country, but you can't really generalize.

>and are there a lot of snobs?
Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the country with a metro area of almost 10 million. There are all types of people here.

>And is it really as bad as everyone makes it seem?
>Should i be afraid to walk around at night by my self?
Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine. Most of the shootings in the news are in bad neighbors that you have literally no reason to ever step foot in.
>>
>>1075666
What makes biking in the city stressful?
>>
>>1074458
I'm from the east coast originally but living in Chicago at the moment.

I absolutely love it here. The winter can be a drag but imo there isn't a better place in the country than summertime in Chicago. You can feel a whole different energy in the city once the weather turns. Multiple music, food, and art festivals every weekend and awesome nightlife. Compared to other major cities it's very affordable, clean and I find the people to be friendly (coming from living in nyc and Boston).
You really don't need a car as public transportation is pretty extensive. As far as safety goes, you're not going to inadvertently find yourself in a really dangerous neighborhood. They are outside of the main areas of the city and there isn't any real reason to go there/pass through.
>>
>>1074498
I'm from Illinois. First off, this 100%:
>>1075666
Secondly,
I have only ever biked in the city at night without the hellish traffic, but it is incredibly convenient biking around the city. They even have those little bike stations you can rent one for (around $7) for an amount of time.
Other than the occasional bum asking for money, I have never felt uncomfortable, even when walking around at night. Like the other poster said, most shootings happen in bad neighborhoods and there is likely no reason for you to go or be in those. The only reason you would need a car is if you want to drive outside the city, or stay warm driving to work in the winter (it gets colder than fuck).
>>
Chicagoan here, born and bred.

Best city in the world bar none. Winter is shit but that's life in the Midwest just drink some Malort like a man and deal with it. I have a car but I don't live on a permit street. Downtown is shit, stay out of the loop. Visit the ethnic neighborhoods and drink in the near northwest (wicker,Bucktown,logan.) Plenty to do here all the time,but, as someone said summer is wonderful you'll never be bored. Just don't go to the southside unless you're with a local or going for BBQ. Check out Crisp on the north side best wings, ever.
>>
With my small budget i may have to move into a bad neighborhood... Im assuming you have to make $16+ to live in a decent studio?
>>
>>1076520
Move to Pilsen. I live here getting white as rice and still cheap. I pay 900 for a 3 bedroom.
>>
>>1076555
The whole 3 bedroom? or a room? It might be to rich for my blood.... looking to try to keep rent under $700 ish after bills.... id perfer to get a studio alone... normally keep a gun on me.... is it more people messing with your or stray bullets in the ghetto?
>>
found a spot on 63rd and troy.. not sure how ghetto...
>>
File: 1453874113124.jpg (591 KB, 1420x724) Image search: [Google]
1453874113124.jpg
591 KB, 1420x724
>>1076631
>63rd St
>>
lol ok.... still unsure about the city... ive lived southsac and oakland.... comparable?
>>
Wichita ks reporting in ask away.

ill tell you its cheap living here. worst dating scen in the country and big town feel in the small city. if your relying on public transportation or biking Kansas is not the place for you most of it is car dependent.

Have you ever been to Wichita?
>>
>>1076665
no i keep hearing about how bad the dating scene is though..... how bad could it be? Are bars just all guys?
>>
>>1076665
and is the job market competitive?
>>
>>1076667
job market is competitive if you do not have a degree/ skill or trait though we do have spirit, Cessna, Beechcraft (now a Textron company) and lear jet also some other manufacturing that isn't as competitive such as Colman Rubbermaid and such. though you can walk into most restaurants with waiting experience and get a job easy. so if you can get your foot in the door can make 20+ at those places and the average rent for 1 br is probably around $400 and average home price is probably 125k I would honestly think Chi would be better though its coast of living seems to be out the ass.
>>
File: 1453751498367.jpg (410 KB, 1000x745) Image search: [Google]
1453751498367.jpg
410 KB, 1000x745
>>1076668
>I would honestly think Chi would be better though its coast of living seems to be out the ass.
Since Illinois isn't a backwards state (for the most part) we have decent worker and pay protection so you can expect to make way more working in Chicago than anywhere in Kansas. Cost of living here is cheaper than any other big city in the U.S., and here you won't need to own a car which automatically saves you 5-10k/year, which is huge.

Also if you absolutely have to live in Kansas, choose Lawrence, anywhere else is absolute hell.

t.former Kansan living in Chicago.
>>
>>1076666
it might be a little bit of an issue but if you are picking up on tinder type of site its no issue I had many girls from there and found my girlfriends from similar site. so go to the new age and should be fine and can weed out the ones that don't let you pee in their butt. also Chi has medical Kansas don't but zips go for 230-260 for the Killa if that is an issue for you idk
>>
>>1076669
Lawrence +2 great music, bar, girls on rotation, cheap drugz
>>
File: chicago.jpg (542 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
chicago.jpg
542 KB, 1600x1067
>>1076669
Also I will give you a short list of neighborhoods that aren't murdery

>Essentially entire North side (uptown and old Cabrini Green hoods can be sketch but still pretty safe I wouldn't worry too much about it)
>Northwest side (this used to be some ghetto, and some of that ghetto is still there but gentrification of this area is quickly sweeping it up, this area should also be quite expensive though)
>Near West side should be fine nowadays
>Humboldt park (which is stretches from the NW side down south into the west side) is a Peurto Rican nieghborhood, like all immigrant neighborhoods it's going to be a little sketch, especially at nights but the neighborhood is gentrifying and the white kids are moving back in again, fucking spics are butthurt af about it though. This hood should be relatively affordable.
>Garfield park is a shithole avoid at all costs. Too bad though, it has some really pretty historic greystone houses though, I suppose if you are brave enough you can buy a nice home here for stupid cheap.
>Pilsen/Uni Village/Little Italy, like the other anon said is getting really nice, some cool looking houses around here too.
>The southside is actually a pretty complicated place. Most of it is shit and should be avoided at all costs, but there are some really nice blocks if you can find them. Hyde Park is hands down the best hood on the southside, due to it's proximity to the Uni of Chicago and it's historic housing stock, lots of young families and students live here, you might be able to find a roommate here for under $700 if you look hard enough. Bronzeville is just above Hyde Park and is getting better, still a bit dodgy though. The far southside like Pullman should be ok too. Avoid everything else
Alternatively you could live in the burbs and ride metra into the city, the burbs suck though.
>>
>>1076670
not on tinder..... or any online...

230-260 in chi or wichita?
Planning on keeping a garden where ever i end up and its illegal both places so.....>>1076674
how is south shore just south of hyde park?
>>
>>1076691
those are Kansas prices.
>>
>>1074458
>>1074458
For some fucking reason, every restaurant closes at 2130 so I can never get a good meal later in the evening.

Why the fuck, Chicago.
>>
>>1076629
The whole of it, it's a steal but I also have a good job so I can afford it. If you wanna get laid live in Bucktown that way you can just walk them home. Any kind of train or long Uber wait might fuck you. Just find a nice spot you like and don't be an asshole. Chicago is a tough town but generally everyone is helpful. Good luck and don't more to Kansas, why is that even an option,I'd rather live in Cleveland or Detroit.
>>
>>1076860
Kansas back again bc my cousin is worn out... but yea this is not a metro this is a town don't think you would be moving to the city. go Chicago its way cooler and even better if you can live anywhere close to millennial mile on the shore.
>>
Because of some recent financial stains i think the choice is coming down to wichita for a 6 months to try to save up some money... hopefully some more job experience as well..... then head up to chicago.... im getting afraid ill end up stuck in wichita
>>
>>1076674
My stepsister lives in South Shore,a South side neighborhood that was saved because the local bank was involved. Might check there.
>>
>>1076981
Kansas back again. sorry to hear this anon. hopefully it works out for you. also if you are normie than hit me up for a brew when you get to town.
>>
>>1074459
>and how hard is it to get a entry level job there?
Ahh, this is key.

Chicago is a fun city much as Manhattan is fun, if you have an above average salary that is. If you're a professional, you'll probably adore it. If you are looking for the immigrant experience (ie entry level jobs meant for people who are being supported by family and.or immigrants), you will not get to do and enjoy nice things, such as quality/safe housing and all the spendy delicious food and fun.

Wichita might have more entry level jobs for someone looking for English speakers vs immigrants, at a guess.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.