[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going On an Adventure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: 1428552106483.jpg (635 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1428552106483.jpg
635 KB, 1920x1080
Hello everyone. I just want to preface this with how fucking glad I am that I remembered that this board exists.

Anyway, I'm a 19 year old college dropout (still living on residence, left school because it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be) and my lease expires in late August. I'll try not to bore you with the details here, but basically I've had a really fucked up life and instead of helping, college just sent me into a brief but brutal relapse. I've quit just about everything at this point, I don't even smoke cigarettes anymore, and the more I get my mind back the more I start to realize that I don't want to sit here for the rest of my life, playing video games and jacking off. And suffice to say, home isn't really an option.

I've been on several multi-day kayak expeditions, 3 were a week long and too many 3-4 day trips to even count (or remember, but that's beside the point), so I know how to survive with minimal supplies and extremely basic living conditions. I can go for extended periods of time without food, water or sleep if necessary, and I'm easy to get along with.

I don't have much, but what I DO have, I'm willing to spend on this trip. I'd even be open to working odd jobs wherever I can find them just to make enough to get to the next destination. I don't know where I would even want to go yet, but I have about 7 months to figure that out, so I'm not really worried about it at the moment.

I live in Peterborough, Ontario (Canada), and I'm just looking for one or maybe two other travelers who would want to come with me, wherever it is I end up going. So /trv/, who wants to go on an adventure?
>>
And if you're not interested in coming with me, any tips you might think of would also be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>
>>1073677
Contrary to popular belief, I'm not planning on living with wolves. I mean if they're friendly enough and they offer me the scraps of a deer carcass it would be rude to turn it down, but I'm not going to be actively looking for them.
>>
>>1073667
Wow you really think highly of yourself. Your whole post reeks of jaded pomposity. Work on that. You're not Holden Caufield, bro, you're just another confused kid.

Other than that, I can relate. I've been that jaded teenager and grew up less than 2 hours from you.

I just went. I didn't talk about it and announce my plans, and find a fighter, red mage and thief to join my party. I just packed my bags and stuck out my thumb.

Life presents itself.

Just go.
>>
>>1073739
I'm not confused. I was tortured by my mother from the time I was probably about 3, I don't really remember the exact date it started but generally people start talking and otherwise acting like human beings at that age. Anyway, when you begin your life with the one person you know being the number one source of pain in your life and you have literally nowhere and nobody else to turn to, you tend to grow up faster than the other kids. Aaaaaand it's kind of difficult to be jaded about how shitty your life is when you've been tricked into becoming a crack addict and by the time you actually figured out what was wrong with your head, you didn't even care because all you wanted was more crack.

So in conclusion, I was just trying to summarize all of that without actually saying it, but thank you for your projection. Holden Caufield was a whiny, overprivileged asshole. I literally have about 10% of the brain cells I started with and I have nowhere else to go.
>>
>>1073739
Oh and the only reason I decided to "announce" my plans anonymously on one of the slowest boards on 4chan in 20fucking16 is because I don't really have all that much money right now, and I'm also just kind of sick of being alone.

But again, your projection is appreciated.
>>
>>1073667
I'm kinda like you OP
19 y.o, second time I try college and dropped again, I've spent too much time doing nothing that I'm tired of it (even the cigarette stuff you said, I barely smoke anymore whereas I did a lot when I was doing nothing). The only difference is that I wasn't mistreated by my parents or anythingn and live in Europe. Still a shit childhood tho
So now I'm looking for a job to save as much as possible (I only have like 1000 euros left from this summer right now) and get the fuck out too
Which doesn't mean I want to live off the land somewhere in Alaska but still, I need to move even for one year
>>
>>1073743
>>1073744
>ITT: Peterborough crackhead looking for people to roll for crack money
>>
>>1073745
So you also smoke crack?

>>1073743
Dude if you smoke crack, you're dead on the inside. Your body moves but your brain has checked out. There is no recovery, no redemption. You will always function as a zombie with one single purpose. You'll go through brief periods of sobriety but you'll always come back, twice as hard, ready to drain the last cent from your own moms bank account.

Source: my cousin smokes crack and did just that.

Fucking kill yourself piece of shit crackhead.
>>
>>1073749
Okay I've had a beer so I was going to wait to reply to all of this in the morning, but if you must know, I was really really heavy into poppers (a piece of a cigarette placed into a cylindrical bowl piece for a bong with as much weed as possible stamped on top of it, creating a kind of benzodiazapine similar to valium, I was in college to be a drug and alcohol counsellor), like I was smoking 20 times a day because they were highly addictive on their own, and then my friends introduced me to a dealer who conveniently lived only 3 blocks away. He invited me to smoke with him, and only him, and for some reason it was always way more intense when I picked up off of him. After a while I didn't even think about it, I would go over to his house and when he asked me to leave, I would buy some for personal use. it was after about a month that I started noticing little white specks in the weed he would give me, and a couple months after that he stopped responding to me completely. I quit cold turkey and haven't gone back to it since, because I never want to feel that way again. The high was amazing, but the withdrawal is literally worse than psychological torture. You can't control your own thoughts, it's a living hell. When I said relapse, I was referring to the weed+tobacco=benzo combo, still addictive and brain numbing but not nearly as hard to quit.

The more you know.
>>
>>1073749
>So you also smoke crack?

Only weed
>>
>>1073667
I'm 18 and I kind of feel your situation. You may enjoy motorcycle traveling; I do, and it's very cheap (relatively.)

I don't think trying to find random strangers off of 4chan to travel with you is a very smart idea, but that's your idea.
>>
>>1073745
Actually I was thinking possibly New Zealand, it's a beautiful part of the world with nice people and consistent weather, and a shit ton of free space to explore/camp out if we can't find a place to stay. And I'm considering learning guitar, so I could earn some cash just sitting on a street corner in a relatively populated area if I have to. If you're interested, let me know.

Keep in mind this won't be a typical vacation.
>>1073789
Honestly I was thinking about hitchhiking, despite the dangers I've been reading a lot of travel guides and stuff and apparently it's the best way to really get the full experience. Plus I don't really have the money for a motorcycle at the moment. But I'll keep it in mind if/when I find a job.
>>
Hey crackhead, stop feeling sorry for yourself. You claim you were beaten with a lead pipe by your monster mom but she paid for your kayak trips and college? Fuck off.

You're just another disillusioned brat from the suburbs (specifically upper middle class Peterborough) who thinks their life is an Our Lady Peace song. I bet you havent worked a full time job in your life... You know what? Go join the crusty punks and oogles who ran away from Mommy and beg for money in a park in Regina, get some face tats and mangy pitbulls, stop bathing and OD in your 20s like the cliché you are.

I could offer you advice on how to get set up in Europe but you're too stupid and useless to be anything more than a bum and a leech.

Get a job and grow the fuck up kid. Or don't, you are just 19 after all.
>>
>>1074100
I've had two jobs, and she didn't pay for shit. What the fuck is with you people? I get that you're insecure because you feel shitty about your own mundane lives and you wish you had an excuse to hate yourselves, but that doesn't do anything to diminish my very real problems. How about you grow the fuck up and solve your own problems instead of shitting on everyone else's.
>>
File: 371434.jpg (35 KB, 460x283) Image search: [Google]
371434.jpg
35 KB, 460x283
>>1073963
>And I'm considering learning guitar

dropped it
>>
Why is OP getting so much shit ITT?
>>
>>1073754
So any desire I had to tag along with OP or let him crash on my couch just flew out the window.

Christ, I figured Trent was a second-rate backwater, but I didn't realize just how trashy the place is. Is your mom Cree, by any chance?

>>1074100
lel, this guy knows.
>>1074148
OP made himself too easy.
>>
>>1074100
Peterborough doesn't even have an upper middle class, not a lot of money over 50 kms north of Toronto
>>
>>1074148
because it's 4chan

also >>1074156

For real OP, you may want to consider talking with a professional. It could help.
>>
>>1074156
I grew up in Markham actually, it doesn't really matter how shitty the town is. I basically grew up in a suburb a couple blocks from the main hospital for my region and there were 3 drug dealers within walking distance of my house.
>>1074189
I'll be fine.
>>
Has this site really gone to shit so much that even /trv/ is full of assholes?
>>
>>1073739
I just joined this board I have a question.
>reeks of jaded pomposity

This is how people from rural areas in Canada speak like?
>>
>>1073667
Hey there OP (20/m/qc, university dropout), I'm planning on going on another trip dunno if I'll be going this summer or if I should wait a few months later. I've hitchhiked from Montreal to Van, and spent a few months there, so had to sleep outside, stuff like that. That's all I have as far as experience. Anyways, I'm planning on heading to NYC, then go on South (maybe Mexico) or West, stopping at different cities along the way. Looking for other hikers to tag along.
Here's my skype if you'd like to chat : left4dead350
>>
>>1074148
For me, its straight up projection because I too was once a dumb 19 year old flunkie who thought he had problems. If I knew what I know now, I'd tell the old me to get his shit together, go back to school, and don't piss away your best years playing video games and feeling sorry for yourself because you honestly don't have it that bad...

I can't do this but I can prevent this kid from being a selfish idiot like I was
>>
>>1074227
I don't THINK I have problems, asshats like you have just been telling me that I don't my whole life because I was too afraid of the repercussions to actually tell anyone what was wrong. I never got a childhood, and my entire life has been an unending series of increasingly painful traumas that just stacked on top of each other until I had a full nervous breakdown. And then I went into the third grade. With all due respect, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>1074208
I'll contact you soon, probably sometime tomorrow. Just have some stuff to take care of.
>>
>>1074207
Just the ones trying desperately to sound smart.
>>
>>1074206
When discussing actual trips and countries, or just asking about general advice from people who've been to places, this board is just fine. /trv/ is just really hostile towards all these gullible people with pipe dreams, which is basically to let them know their idea is either really stupid or too hard to achieve. Like those people posting "hi I've watched anime since I was 13 and want to move to Japan and bring my cat and get a job there, I don't speak Japanese, but I will learn how to, please help me with everything", I think this is a pretty similar case. OP's post in a nutshell is "I'm 19, life sucks, I quit school, I have no money, I'm an addict and I want to run away and explore the world with strangers!!!". There are 0 actual plans and the whole thing just sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm not a harsh person myself and would rather support OP, but then he says some shit like "And I'm considering learning guitar, so I could earn some cash just sitting on a street corner in a relatively populated area if I have to" and then you just know right away that this whole 'adventure' is either going to fail or, most likely, not going to happen in the first place
>>
>>1074301
Former addict, and I have 7 months to plan it. And I read on Art of travel that a good way to make some cash inbetween destinations is to use whatever talents you have in populated (obviously friendly) areas of wherever you are, and considering I can sing but I don't play an instrument, other than trombone which won't work for several obvious reasons, including I only learned it for my high school music class, I figured I would put in the time to learn guitar so that I have something other than speakers to accompany my voice. I AM doing this, it's the first thing I've ever genuinely WANTED to do with my life since...well, ever. To be completely honest I don't have much regard for my own safety or life as a whole anymore, I didn't really expect to live much longer than 20 in the first place for a while. I don't know where I'll go yet and I don't know for how long, or what I'll do, but I know that I need to leave, because I'd rather be dead than spend another year in front of a fucking screen.
>>
>>1074301
In other words, even if I do end up never coming back, it won't be a failure as long as I leave. I've spent my whole life in the same fucking house, and even when the abuse stopped, it was still my prison. This dorm, shoebox though it may be, is a luxury I never thought I would ever have. You can't even imagine how warped the human mind becomes when it's been forced to live without any form of feeling other than misery for the better part of 20 years. No hope, no chance for anything other than maybe being left alone for a while, which of course never really happened. Actually going somewhere else, leaving this godforsaken place and going ANYWHERE else, anywhere at all, I can't even comprehend how incredibly happy it would make me. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. This isn't about "finding myself", or "running away". It's about doing something I thought was impossible since the day I was born. It's about escaping. I could shoot myself in the head the minute I felt like I was free, and I would die overjoyed, absolutely and purely happy. That's all I want for myself.
>>
>>1074315
And for the record, I sage everything that I post immediately after a subsequent post, I'm not an asshole.
>>
>>1074315
I have no idea what you're trying to achieve now and you're really making it sound that, out of every tiny human's life, yours was definitely the worst so far. Are you sure it's not partially teenage angst mixed with exaggeration? And what do you even mean by "doing something I thought was impossible since the day I was born"? Doing what? Traveling? Fleeing from your mom? From drugs? From your computer screen? Do you plan to be on the road until you're old or something, or do you just want to walk to some other places with other life refugees, so you don't have to think about responsibilities during that time? I have no idea what you're aiming for, other than 'not be where I am right now', but that's such a vague plan it brings up more questions than answers. But I don't want to waste your time or anything. I can't any of your travel/hiking related questions. I'm just trying to say you should think about what exactly it is that you want.

Also, I'm pretty sure OP's can't bump their own threads and sage doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>1074326
I'm not saying I've had the worst life of anyone on the planet, there's that insecurity again, making you see things you want to see. And like I said, I don't know where I'm going to go or how long I'll be gone, but what I thought was impossible from the day I was born, was escape. Freedom. because believe me or not, and I'm just going to immediately assume not considering what a jaded cunt you are, I'm smarter than the average bear. In fact my IQ was, at one point, over 150. So being trapped in a tiny, enclosed space with absolutely no means of escape was beyond awful, it was maddening. And I was kept there for an inhumanely long time, the only breaks I got were when my mother decided to...well, I won't go into detail but it wasn't fun. I would just stare at my ceiling for hours, days on end, pondering my place in the universe and various metaphysical conundrums until I had literally exhausted every possible avenue of thought and I was reduced to talking to different versions of myself and having heated debates with thin air. All before kindergarten. I have only ever known misery and isolation, and all I want is to feel some semblance of freedom. I'm not expecting you to understand that, or even care, and frankly I'm not sure why you felt the need to comment at all, other than to validate yourself by trying to make me and my life seem relatively insignificant. Take your shit to /adv/, I have enough to deal with.
>>
>>1074326
Also sage still exists, it just doesn't show up in the post itself anymore.
>>
This thread makes me think of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ut52Szpd-w
>>
>>1073667
You won't anyone to accompany you on 4chan, especially after telling people that you did crack.

Anyway, your idea to head out for a fresh start is probably the best thing to do. You should probably aim for something that provides you with a stable income. I mean, if you hang out with hobos and runaway kids, you probably slip back into doing drugs.

Foreign legion is probably the most radical option, consider that if you're physically fit. I mean, you'd probably be a different person by the end of you service.

Or well... maybe teaching English abroad or a work & travel kind of thing in New Zealand could be an option.

Also, fyi, a friend of mine did a shitton of drugs form age 15 to 22, including meth, now he's one of the most conservative people I know and enrolled in a master dregree program in applied statistics.
>>
Not even going to bother reading the shitposting going on ITT.
Sorry about the assholes, OP, check out the Squat the Planet forums for real help and support with this kind of thing.
>>
>>1074361
>>1074457
I'll check all of that out, thank you both.
>>
>>1074348
The piano version's better, and this is coming from someone who's been a fan of The Pixies for 10+ years.
>>
Hey OP I'm a bit similar to you, I'm thinking about using volunteer sites like wwoof, helpx, etc. to start up my journey. Maybe that would be helpful to you as well?
>>
>>1073743

As someone who believes therapy can work, I'd suggest you go to therapy. From your posts I gather that you're very much caught up in your trauma (and why shouldn't you be) and you need to talk about it. I understand you want to physically run away from your problems but you should realise that your problems are mental and leaving won't solve them. Maybe it will help. But if you are addicted to drugs and have no plan about building your life in a new place, I don't think you'll end up well.
Instead of travel, you should spend your money on cognitive behavioral therapy.
>>
>>1073963

By consistent weather do you mean it rains all the time and it's windy as fuck?
>>
>>1074748
Any lead in a positive direction is helpful, thank you.
>>
>>1075033
I've seen a therapist, for I think three or four sessions a few years ago. It helped, but not immensely, considering I'm already fully aware of every one of my problems and I have a firmer grasp of my own (rather unique) psyche than the average therapist could possibly hope to map out over the course of years of work. But thank you for your concern. And I WAS an addict, I made the conscious decision to stop smoking anything about 2 months ago.
>>1075034
I think I may have mixed up weather and climate.
>>
>>1074361
>You should probably aim for something that provides you with a stable income. I mean, if you hang out with hobos and runaway kids, you probably slip back into doing drugs.
This is very good advice, OP. Learning the guitar and playing in the streets is a bad idea if you actually go on this trip, though I'm not sure if that's a good idea in the first place - even after everything you've said.
Make sure you have your trip planned out before you go.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.